U.K. Group Calls For Female Doctor Who

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I would actually prefer to see a male doctor who of a African American decent or an Asian doctor.

I personally, am wondering why anyone outside of the actual writers of Doctor Who should have any right trying to tell them what to do with the series.

The Principle content of Dr.Who is as close to actuall science as a cardboard tube is to a broadsword. A female Dr.Who would not increase the prominence of female scientists, It would cause overweight men to masterbate to her.

The only thing that will increase the prominece of female scientists is an increase in their proportional numbers.

I hate to sound sexist but just keep it with the Doctor as a male lead.

Sewblon:
The Principle content of Dr.Who is as close to actuall science as a cardboard tube is to a broadsword. A female Dr.Who would not increase the prominence of female scientists, It would cause overweight men to masterbate to her.

The only thing that will increase the prominece of female scientists is an increase in their proportional numbers.

I think you're missing the point a little there. The fact that the 'science' on Doctor Who, or any Sci-Fi show isn't factually accurate isn't what's important, what's important is that these shows portray the use of science to solve problems in a positive light. That's the inspirational part.

For me, I'm not against the idea of a female doctor, but I don't think it's actually very likely.

thebobmaster:
I thought the main character of Torchwood was Captain Jack Harkness...

No Qwen is the main character, it follows her life closer than anyone elses

The doctor is a male of his species though...

I can just see this Womens group demanding that star wars is remade but with Leia becoming a jedi and not Luke.

It's sacrilege I tells ya.

While I can certainly see where they're coming from, there are a distinct lack of powerful female role models and especially less being represented as all that intelligent (Law & Order is usually good about this. SVU and Criminal Intent both have major female investigators and the coroner in both cases is usually female), but you can't really interfere with a set character. Besides, haven't all ten of his little incarnations been basically confirmed as having a dick?

However, most deplorable here is this reaction that they're just a bunch of 'feminazis'. Just because they have an opposing view or desire like this doesn't make them feminazis. They're not out to kill Dr. Who and everything out there with a male lead just because it has a male lead, they're using Dr. Who as a talking point about a distinct lack of female leads, much less female leads that are smart.

I never even watched Dr. Who that and much and didn't care that I didn't but I'm still a little bit suprised by this.

I understand that women wish to become better represented in the field of science but I'm certain that there are probably better ways of doing it (like ensuring that scientific achievments by women are better publicised...how's that for an idea?).

I would accept a female Dr Who if we got to see a male Ellen Ripley (that would probably have to be Elliot Riply on second thought).

So the feminazis want The Good Doctor to jump a shark on a motorcycle? What?

Iron Mal:
I never even watched Dr. Who that and much and didn't care that I didn't but I'm still a little bit suprised by this.

I understand that women wish to become better represented in the field of science but I'm certain that there are probably better ways of doing it (like ensuring that scientific achievments by women are better publicised...how's that for an idea?).

I would accept a female Dr Who if we got to see a male Ellen Ripley (that would probably have to be Elliot Riply on second thought).

Just to point out, the character's name is "The Doctor", not "Doctor Who." I don't really care, but with all these fans on here, just thought I'd warn you.

They had better not! The Doctor is not a woman, don't screw with the show dynamics like that. If they want a strong female character who is scientific, then they should make one not screw around with one of the best characters ever.

Joanna Lumley as The Doctor:

Ooh, the sonic screwdriver has a vibrate setting

;)

Alright I want a black Dr.Who then! I also want a Chinese Dr.Who! Who really cares whether it is a woman or not? Having a woman in a TV show about science will not make me respect women in science any more, maybe they should spend more time actually doing science and not wanting to be on TV!

The_root_of_all_evil:

;)

Be right back, commiting suicide by slamming my head into a sidewalk repeatedly.

I think a mass mob taking to the streets chanting "Dylan Moran, Dylan Moran", or possibly "Julian Barret, Julian Barret" will sort this little problem out.

Muh. I don't really have that much of a problem with this idea. As long as they get someone good to portray him/her/it then I don't really care. Though it would make earlier relationships rather...odd. I personally wnat them to find som dathed reason why the doctor would regenerate as John Simm (Life on mars). I was rooting for him when he was the master in thoughs episodes, he made David Tennent look pritty boring.

The_root_of_all_evil:

;)

*Shudders* That's just creepy for some reason.

Damn. It took me so long to get the clip to embed someone got there first... Heigh ho.

Neosage:
Yeah while there at it make Bond a girl aswell FUCKING FEMINISTS!

Feminism is a load of shit feminists want to be treated equal as well as still being regarded as special

Doctor Who is not a woman. You get companions that develop their characters and aren't treated sexistly.
Female Doctor = Death of the best show ever forever.

I don't have strong feelings one way or another. Man or woman, the Doctor could be characterised to be consistent with the previous doctors irrelevant of gender - and with Steven Moffat directing and writing lots of things, I think he could really pull it off in quite a spectacular way.

That said, I don't think changing the direction of a show to make a political point is ever really a good thing. (Unless the show is fundamentally racist, sexist or generally broken anyway - which Dr Who isn't; there are strong female characters and strong male characters both. Torchwood manages that quite nicely as well, having a good balance characters that transcend gender stereotypes; Ianto makes the tea while Gwen kicks arse.) If Moffat and the other people in charge of the show made that choice independent of external pressure, then I'd have no problem with it. I do agree that artistically a spurious change for no real reason other than wanting a token woman doctor would be a bad thing; if anything it's actually counter-productive for the achieving of gender equality.

On a separate note, would the anti-feminists in this thread like to qualify their arguments a little instead of spewing bile all over the place? One of the more amusing and painfully idiotic comments that seems to have sprung up here and there is when people cry 'It's DOCTOR Who not NURSE WHO!'. So women in the medical profession are only ever nurses, then? I'll take it Martha Jones doesn't exist then. Or indeed that male nurses are a hideous joke. just goes on a basic, herd-like utilitarian principle with none of the self-awareness. The people that want a female Doctor are campaigning exactly because of ideas like these and the fact that people feel that these viewpoints are somehow valid or acceptable. But because of the fact that they're part of public consciousness and socially endorsed stereotypes, no-one challenges them.

Also, feminazis? I never knew that feminism had anything to do with goose-stepping, jackboots and anti-semitism. I misguidedly thought that it was about searching for gender equality by dealing with issues that concern the oppression of both genders. But, what do I know?

yeah i kinda object to this one, don't think the Doctor should be female, there are Time Ladies already

Now...i'm not an avid Dr. Whoo fan, but I do recall loathing the actor before Tennant. Also, it's my understanding that the Doctor's. personality changes when he fully regenerates along with his appearance doesn't it?

...I don't know I can't see a woman doing it.

sv93:
Alright I want a black Dr.Who then! I also want a Chinese Dr.Who! Who really cares whether it is a woman or not? Having a woman in a TV show about science will not make me respect women in science any more, maybe they should spend more time actually doing science and not wanting to be on TV!

Agreed! The problem with the current generation upcoming, male and female, are they don't want to do anything "hard", like science, maths, or anything else useful. Psychology, "Media Studies", and sociology are all they want to study because of the (UK) government's pathological view everyone should go to university, regardless of the usefulness of the topic of study.

As for a female doctor who, go away you overly politically current ass's, and leave our fictional characters alone! I'll accept a female Dr Who or James Bond the day I see a male Mrs Marple!

Actually work on getting kids of the UK into subjects like science and engineering, not onto TV with you banal vanity, because when I was on my engineering course, 90%+ where foreign students, and only 5 out of 80-ish where female.

Well, looks like they decided to make the Doctor a woman after all.

Hey, isn't there some internet rule saying that thereis a female version/fan art of all male pop-culture/media characters?

I think it's Rule 63, and it was amazing seing it done on the TF2 characters.

edit: AND NOW IN THIS THREAD, 4chan RULES. WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO!?

Kary Byron
/thread

*thinks of making a hilarious photoshop of Hillary's face superimposed over Captain picard's.*

(what? that would be the equivalent. no?)

It would give Captain Jack another reason to "stick around"

As long as they approach the inevitable spin-off about the Doctor's clone soldier daughter with some maturity and seriousness, this group might get what they want. But that's the only way. There's really no good enough reason to have a transexual Doctor.

I think the next James Bond should be female too, since there are a lack of female spies. I think the next season of Desperate Housewives should be all male, because there are a lack of male "housewives".

See how stupid this is?

If they want to get more females in those specific roles, then make a new show, don't target one that has been going on for more than forty fucking years.

Malygris:
Well, looks like they decided to make the Doctor a woman after all.

Saucer of milk for Table 4 please!

MindBullets:
As long as they approach the inevitable spin-off about the Doctor's clone soldier daughter with some maturity and seriousness, this group might get what they want. But that's the only way.

The BBC billed Torchwood as mature and serious, and look how that turned out. Government agents discovering new kinds of exotic life.

And then fucking them.

In Wales.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook