SteamOS Will Not Have Exclusive Games

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

SteamOS Will Not Have Exclusive Games

SteamOS logo

Valve confirms that it will not be making games that require the use of SteamOS or a Steam Machine.

Valve's big reveal of SteamOS and the accompanying Steam Machines came with a lot more questions than answers. Questions like, where the heck is Half-Life 3, and, will there be SteamOS exclusive games? After dodging the first question (as always), Valve has confirmed that there will not be any SteamOS exclusive games, or any games that require the use of a Steam Machine.

Speaking to IGN, Valve's Greg Coomer said, "you won't see an exclusive killer app for SteamOS from us. We're not going to be doing that kind of thing." So you can breathe easy about Valve using the third installment of a certain FPS (Left 4 Dead 3, right?) as an exclusive to drive up the usage of its proprietary OS.

Valve's Anna Sweet also confirmed that this rule applied not only to first-party Valve games, but anything from third-party developers as well. "Whenever we talk to third-party partners, we encourage them to put their games in as many places as possible, including not on our platforms," she said. "Because we think that customers are everywhere, and they want to put their games wherever customers are. That would go against our whole philosophy, to launch something that's exclusive to SteamOS or Steam machines."

"We believe that, in maybe five years from now, folks will find it a quite antiquated notion that you should assume that when you change devices or platforms, that you lose all of your other games and friends," Coomer added.

He did, however, concede that small, independent studios who only have the resources to focus on one platform may inevitably make games that only run on SteamOS, "but that's a very different thing."

Source: IGN

And this is a perfect example of why Valve is the Good Guy Greg of the industry. Even making a game exclusive to a free OS that anyone can download and install on the computer they already have (assuming they have enough free hard drive space) is considered a dick move by their standards. And why not? Once you make your game, you want people to be able to play it, so you should make it playable on whatever they happen to have instead of making them jump through hoops they might decide aren't worth it. Why 90% of the industry can't wrap their heads around this idea is beyond my understanding.

Of course they aren't. Unless they're doing some really terrifying things to the platform, anything SteamOS can run, any other Linux distro can as well.

Also, no matter how well SteamOS does, the bulk of their users will still be Windows, so...

I can hear it now.

"Sony/MS have exclusive games! they are corporate pigs!"

"Valve has no exclusives, lol their console sucks."

I swear, its getting easier and easier to predict this kind of stuff.

No exclusives...so absolutely fuck all reason to get it.

Ultratwinkie:
I can hear it now.

You called it, although I think it's done for sake of irony. I don't know?!

kiri2tsubasa:

I think you failed to see the point in that valve is not as petty as sony and microsoft that they would only release their games to the steam box so you don't feel forced to buy it. They just don't care about the console rivalry.

"Valve using the third installment"?

Madness.

Is this even something people were actually asking?

At the very least it'd be no worse than Linux exclusive, and even that is doubtful given Valves primary user base being Windows users.

Yeah but will there be any games written that will natively run on the Steam OS, because if not I have no reason to give a shit about it as I could give a toss about playing my computer games in my living room.

kiri2tsubasa:

You mean, no reason for YOU to get it.

If you don't care about shifting focus from Windows to Linux, that's fine. Stick with Windows. I, however, cannot WAIT to ditch Windows permanently, and having a really major company toss their hat into the Linux ring is exactly what the doctor ordered.

EDIT: A lot of people seem to completely misunderstand what a "Steam Machine" even is. -__-

I kindda figured Valve would shy away from exclusives, but I also know that the SteamOS will not have any of the other exclusive titles either. So what is the point of buying one? While I am a huge proponent of the "one console future" we aren't there yet. If your product does not offer something unique then there is no reason to buy it. It's kinnda sad to know the "one console future" will be doomed to fail by its' own merits. *Sigh*

Ultratwinkie:
I can hear it now.

kiri2tsubasa:

OT: Fine with me. Let's have a system that survives on actually being any good rather than hiding exclusive content behind a paywall... Oh wait, it's free anyway. So what would be the point, then? Isn't that normally the reason to do that, to get some extra cash from people who want a certain killer app?

Sarge034:
I kindda figured Valve would shy away from exclusives, but I also know that the SteamOS will not have any of the other exclusive titles either. So what is the point of buying one? While I am a huge proponent of the "one console future" we aren't there yet. If your product does not offer something unique then there is no reason to buy it. It's kinnda sad to know the "one console future" will be doomed to fail by its' own merits. *Sigh*

Its a PC that can also be a console. It has every PC exclusive while also allowing console-like play.

If you don't want to buy one, just download the OS and put it on your PC. Its free.

lacktheknack:

EDIT: A lot of people seem to completely misunderstand what a "Steam Machine" even is. -__-

Because it's easier to just glance at taglines or article headlines, make assumptions based on a lack of knowledge and irrational biases, and make brash judgements from those assumptions.

If the gaming community and gaming forums have showed me anything in recent years it's this:
That the vast majority of gamers and posters have no interest in rationality and truth, and would rather just bitch and moan like little children who simply don't understand half of the things they're complaining about.

If you don't care about shifting focus from Windows to Linux, that's fine. Stick with Windows. I, however, cannot WAIT to ditch Windows permanently, and having a really major company toss their hat into the Linux ring is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Me neither. I still plan to use Windows for certain programs. Namely productivity software and possibly media creation/editing. However, if SteamOS delivers what's been promised, I can assure you ALL of my gaming will be shifted to Linux.[1]

[1] Save, of course, for those titles that either aren't on Steam or can't be easily ported to or modded for Linux.

I am glad they arent doing exclusives. Exclusives are one of the worst thing that gamers just accept like lemmings.

Don't worry. The moment some good frameworks pop up and developers will see the advantages of creating games for Linux instead of that Windows crap, they might just as well create SteamOS exlusives.

What makes me sad is the fact it also means more Steam-only games.

You know what really gets me? What really made me laugh from the comments made by the design team at Valve?

It was this quote from Anna Sweet - "Whenever we talk to third-party partners, we encourage them to put their games in as many places as possible, including not on our platforms."

Yep. Valve is totally aiming to create a monopoly within PC gaming....by telling developers to not put their games on Steam.

Ultratwinkie:
Its a PC that can also be a console. It has every PC exclusive while also allowing console-like play.

If you don't want to buy one, just download the OS and put it on your PC. Its free.

I already own a pc and I already own several consoles. So the question remains. Why would I buy a steam machine or, now because people are brining up the OS "is free" card, even take the time to download the OS to my computer? It provides nothing new to the market, so unless you are chomping at the bit to transfer everything you can to Linux or need to buy everything Valve because... Valve(?) then there is no reason to bother with it. Then add on the fact that all MS, Sony, and Nintendo exclusives will be held from it as well and you see that nothing has changed.

Also, I'm wondering what else the OS will do when you install it your computer. Nothing is free, so I could see some sort of data mining going on... but I don't worship Valve either so perhaps I'm "missing the point".

Sgt. Sykes:
Don't worry. The moment some good frameworks pop up and developers will see the advantages of creating games for Linux instead of that Windows crap, they might just as well create SteamOS exlusives.

What makes me sad is the fact it also means more Steam-only games.

Not necessarily. While SteamOS will natively run Steam for much of the users gaming needs, it's still simply a Linux distro at it's core. Only, of course, with all the optimization and driver support Valve and others have been working on for the past few years.

So, as long as a developer or publisher decides to make a Linux port of a game, it'll run swimmingly on SteamOS without actually having to be on Steam.

'Course, the added bonuses of having access to the framework and feature-sets present in Steam, coupled with the (promised) stability and functionality of the new OS, might be a hard thing for some devs to refuse.

This is pretty god damn simple; if SteamOS runs games faster, or is somehow more user friendly/convinient, then I'll use it.

Why are people whining about it not having exclusives?`I really don't get people. Why would you WANT to be forced to purchase YET ANOTHER piece of hardware to play that ONE game you like?

Sarge034:

Ultratwinkie:

I already own a pc and I already own several consoles. So the question remains. Why would I buy a steam machine or, now because people are brining up the OS "is free" card, even take the time to download the OS to my computer? It provides nothing new to the market, so unless you are chomping at the bit to transfer everything you can to Linux or need to buy everything Valve because... Valve(?) then there is no reason to bother with it. Then add on the fact that all MS, Sony, and Nintendo exclusives will be held from it as well and you see that nothing has changed.

Also, I'm wondering what else the OS will do when you install it your computer. Nothing is free, so I could see some sort of data mining going on... but I don't worship Valve either so perhaps I'm "missing the point".

Why would you buy it? You already stated that you have PC - the Steam Boxes don't come with anything you don't (potentially) already have - all you need is to dl the OS. The question you should be asking is, "is it better than what I currently have?"

Sarge034:
I already own a pc and I already own several consoles. So the question remains. Why would I buy a steam machine or, now because people are brining up the OS "is free" card, even take the time to download the OS to my computer? It provides nothing new to the market, so unless you are chomping at the bit to transfer everything you can to Linux

Well gee, you answered your own question! :D

I gotta say, I'm going to be thoroughly entertained when it becomes available for download, and the confused mewling of people who didn't know what it was begins.

Steve the Pocket:
And this is a perfect example of why Valve is the Good Guy Greg of the industry. Even making a game exclusive to a free OS that anyone can download and install on the computer they already have (assuming they have enough free hard drive space) is considered a dick move by their standards. And why not? Once you make your game, you want people to be able to play it, so you should make it playable on whatever they happen to have instead of making them jump through hoops they might decide aren't worth it. Why 90% of the industry can't wrap their heads around this idea is beyond my understanding.

You forget that they did exactly that when they launched Steam. They made highly anticipated titles, such as Half Life 2, Steam exclusives (And all games from then on). Which of course meant people just took the crap it was back then so they could get at those games.

OT: I can't see why they wouldn't want to put something like Half Life 3 (or Left 4 Dead 3 or Portal 3 or Team Fortress 3) as an exclusive for either the SteamOS or their Steam Machines or at the very least having them as timed exclusives. Sure, they gain a bit of good will (Which I don't think they could possibly get more, on the Escapist anyway) but it puts both the SteamOS and the Steam Machines at an even greater risk of just failing completely. Exclusives was how they made Steam as dominating as it is now after all.

Sarge034:

The point of the console is to be an alternative to other next gen consoles.

It may not have any that are steam OS exclusive, but there are MANY PC games that never make it to consoles that it will play that other consoles wont.

And yes some things are free, I suppose Dwarf Fortress, Aurora, ect all mine data to sell to other people? As for Steam OS, naturally they will have their store front built in, so they will still be making money through the simplicity of clicking to buy a game, and the people who buy the steam box will likely buy a number of games through steam as well.

Desert Punk:
I am glad they arent doing exclusives. Exclusives are one of the worst thing that gamers just accept like lemmings.

No, they don't accept them, they CLAIM for them. It would be fun to see such foolishness if it wasn't so common on the consumer side.

With this Valve guaranteed my support if their product works as well as a current windows 7 with steam, because fuck exclusives and I will vote to fuck them with my wallet.

black_knight1337:
I can't see why they wouldn't want to put something like Half Life 3 (or Left 4 Dead 3 or Portal 3 or Team Fortress 3) as an exclusive for either the SteamOS or their Steam Machines or at the very least having them as timed exclusives.

Because they are putting principles ahead of business. There is no way this is a smart move money wise.

I wonder I'd the unix based OS will mean more games for OSX.

Mromson:
Why would you buy it? You already stated that you have PC - the Steam Boxes don't come with anything you don't (potentially) already have - all you need is to dl the OS. The question you should be asking is, "is it better than what I currently have?"

That question is moot, because everything Valve has said about the OS are things I can already do, or have no desire for (Linux).

lacktheknack:

I gotta say, I'm going to be thoroughly entertained when it becomes available for download, and the confused mewling of people who didn't know what it was begins.

No, I didn't. You can manipulate pc software to run on Linux as is. So the question still remains. Why bother? What does this add to my experience?

Desert Punk:

It may not have any that are steam OS exclusive, but there are MANY PC games that never make it to consoles that it will play that other consoles wont.

But you said it yourself... It plays PC games. You know what else plays PC games? PCs do. It is not an alternative to the "other" next gen consoles because the steam box is not a next gen console. It is a box running PC software to play the PC titles on your PC. Why not just hook up your computer to a big TV and link in a USB controller?

And yes some things are free, I suppose Dwarf Fortress, Aurora, ect all mine data to sell to other people?

As I can't be bothered to look up the EULAs for the titles you mentioned I will answer broadly. It is highly probably the software is data mining your activity, pushing microtractions (pay to win primarily), and/or slapping advertisements everywhere they don't belong. In short, yes.

As for Steam OS, naturally they will have their store front built in, so they will still be making money through the simplicity of clicking to buy a game, and the people who buy the steam box will likely buy a number of games through steam as well.

And this brings up the question again. If I can do the same thing and play the same games on my PC, what is the point?

Sarge034:

Desert Punk:

But you said it yourself... It plays PC games. You know what else plays PC games? PCs do. It is not an alternative to the "other" next gen consoles because the steam box is not a next gen console. It is a box running PC software to play the PC titles on your PC. Why not just hook up your computer to a big TV and link in a USB controller?

And yes some things are free, I suppose Dwarf Fortress, Aurora, ect all mine data to sell to other people?

As I can't be bothered to look up the EULAs for the titles you mentioned I will answer broadly. It is highly probably the software is data mining your activity, pushing microtractions (pay to win primarily), and/or slapping advertisements everywhere they don't belong. In short, yes.

As for Steam OS, naturally they will have their store front built in, so they will still be making money through the simplicity of clicking to buy a game, and the people who buy the steam box will likely buy a number of games through steam as well.

And this brings up the question again. If I can do the same thing and play the same games on my PC, what is the point?

Because not everyone has a PC that can run games that well? Some that dont think they are smart enough to build their own PCs?

And dear god, you couldnt be more wrong. Neither of them connect to the internet...At all, neither have microtransactions... at all... and neither have advertisments in the slightest. They are completely free and are fun, and pretty damn awesome, you are just too cynical.

And see my first part.

Sarge034:

Mromson:

That question is moot, because everything Valve has said about the OS are things I can already do, or have no desire for (Linux).

lacktheknack:

No, I didn't. You can manipulate pc software to run on Linux as is. So the question still remains. Why bother? What does this add to my experience?

Desert Punk:

I think you missed the entire point. I'm not saying that SteamOS will be better or worse than Windows, I'm merely saying that it COULD be better - hence there's no point dismissing anything until we have conclusive information about the OSs performance. It could be a superior platform to Windows due to software running at better frame-rates. Your negativity is baffling.

And consoles are just PCs too. PCs that run exclusives. Nothing more.

Sarge034:

lacktheknack:

Because Wine is terrible?

Because native support is infinitely better than non-native support?

Why would I want to hack something into half-working when Valve's push into Linux will cause a rush of native support? These are exciting times, and I don't buy any argument that says "But it kind of works already!"

I can't speak for Aurora, but in terms of Dwarf Fortress, which doesn't even have an EULA, nope. You're wrong.

Sarge034:

You can't get a large amount of games working on Linux. Especially working well. And the ones you can play require an ungodly amount of tinkering, in short it just isn't feasible right now. If valve can show decent market penetration with their OS big publishers will be far more likely to make games that run on Linux and OSX, allowing more people to play games with a lower initial investment which is a good thing no matter how you slice it. If you're happy with windows then the steam OS isn't for you, but for those of us who aren't (and there are many) it is an interesting proposition.

On this front you're simply wrong. Have you never looked into Linux based operating systems? You wont pay anything for them, there isn't really an EULA because it all falls under GPL http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html. And Dwarf Fortress (as mentioned) is completely free. That's it. You can donate to the creator if you want to, but it's a free game in the purest sense of the word.

Sarge034:

Ultratwinkie:

Living room PCs are rare, and unless you want to deal with falcon northwest for an overpriced shoebox, Valve is the best bet. Not that it would work well since its actually meant for LAN parties. Falcon's "Steam box" doesn't have the OS to put it in the living room easily, its just a desktop computer that you can move around.

If you don't want your PC in the living room or don't want to stream PC games to the living room, its not for you.

Steam OS is a linux OS meant to side step microsoft. MS wants to lock it down so they can make money off their OS.

That is bad for gaming, and bad for PC gaming. Its a tactic that they want to do to try to flush out PC gamers and developers onto xbox by trying to make PC gaming more expensive. They tried it before with GFWL, and now they want to do it again with Windows 8 and on.

STEAM OS doesn't data mine anything. Its linux under a different name with optimizations for gaming. Its meant to make PC gaming even easier for everyone and taking away Microsoft's stranglehold. Its not some Ponzi Scheme because Sony and Microsoft do it.

They don't make money off selling data. They make money off games. If Microsoft locks it down, they can refuse steam a certification, and make steam no longer work on newer windows. They can lock steam out of the entire market if they don't give microsoft a huge paycheck. MS will do it to everyone. Its basically extortion.

Same with Nvidia and AMD. They want Microsoft to no longer control PC gaming through APIs like directx and OSes. They don't want MS to try to destroy PC gaming so it may have a bigger audience on the xbox.

They want a free market. That's why mantle exists. That's why developers talk about openGL. That's why linux is now big and exciting.

AMD and Nvidia would lose market share and would be at the beck and call of Sony and Microsoft. Because the majority of their profits, PC gamers, are now gone. They would need to beg for console money so Microsoft and Sony can leverage better components at the expense of manufacturers.

That's whats happening. A potential power grab by microsoft to try to save its dying xbox division by borrowing from its software division's monopoly.

A power grab that can destroy PC gaming in a single instant. They have been gloating that "they make the OS" and that gives them power.

Linux was made to be free and open source. That corporations cannot lock it down. Microsoft can't touch linux, and in linux every PC gamer would be safe from that reality.

STEAM os isn't intended to be a push for console dominance. Its an insurance policy for PC gaming, and everything related to it.

Sarge034:

Mromson:

lacktheknack:

Desert Punk:

Jesus man, what are you complaining about?
A free OS specifically made to run games?
More options?
FREE options?

If you don't think there's anything good to come out of free stuff dedicated to your hobby, then fine, just don't fuckin use it. Your Windows PC isn't going to stop working when SteamOS comes out.

lacktheknack:

kiri2tsubasa:

Good grief, I am so on board with you from Windows>Linux, if this works out right. There were so few things I couldn't do well enough on a Linux distribution that Windows could, and gaming was the major factor that keeps me locked to this shitty OS.

And I was always under the impression that the basic idea behind consoles was to make the 'computer' part of video games accessible to a more general audience. I know I've avoided regular PC upgrades in favor of consoles merely for the difference in hassle. Since that is somewhat reversing course, now Steam tries its hand at making the PC accessible again...? A back-to-basics move I (somehow) see in this, for gods know the consoles out have surely lost their way.

And Tanakh makes a fair point, Steam is putting principles ahead of business. But I think a very large segment of the 'gaming' populace has Steam floating in consciousness, so something that makes the transition easier from idea of typical PC to typical console will bring in the customers (plus they have their infamous deals, and plenty of variety in games to play off the bat).

Besides, what has Valve put the plethora of cash it's most likely made through Steam into? Not so many games out in the past couple of years, and Steam maintenance can't be prohibitive. It's a risk to make a console, but it's one they've got a body of funds to take it with, I think.

Steve the Pocket:

This.

Console exclusivity works bad in two ways; if you want all the exclusive games, you need ALL of the consoles. The other is that they simultaneously provoke pirates to put them on an emulator long before the console is discontinued, & make the people who download the ROM feel justified because the software they were more than willing to pay for legally was not made available to them. ::Looking at you, Red Dead Redemption. That rumor of a 2014 PC port is the only thing preventing me from turning to the dark side::

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here