Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Uh-huh. Well Bioware, considering the promises you made about ME3 that never panned out (no A, B, C ending... umm... yeah... how'd that one turn out again?)... I'll believe it when I see it.

But again, considering ME3... its incredibly difficult for me to get excited about anything Bioware does anymore.

Is it just me or does this sound like the kind of thing Peter Molyneux would boast about?

Generally '40 different endings' means '40 not very fleshed out endings which are pretty much the same but with minor differences'

I can only see 40 different endings working the same way it worked in Way of the Samurai.

A lot of promising information, but let's see how it pans out.

40 endings? Imagine all the variety we'll get!

Yeah right....they said the same thing for another game.What was it...?Oh yeah, Mass Effect 3 and it's 16 different endings for your choices.

At this point I don't trust Bioware's PR at all.

I'm sure someone has brought this up already, but what happened to #6? I feel like there's some information that was omitted by Alex.

canadamus_prime:
Is it just me or does this sound like the kind of thing Peter Molyneux would boast about?

Well, if Molyneux was involved he would be saying that each ending is so different it will be life-changing for the player to witness their splendour.

Extragorey:
I'm sure someone has brought this up already, but what happened to #6? I feel like there's some information that was omitted by Alex.

Number 6 is mislabelled as 5 in this article and number 5 is about the endings. You can check the Neogaf source for the whole list.

CriticalMiss:

canadamus_prime:

Well, if Molyneux was involved he would be saying that each ending is so different it will be life-changing for the player to witness their splendour.

Maybe, but it was all that stuff about how you could drastically alter the ecosystem and the economy and whatever that sounded very Molyneux-ish to me.

I find it hard to believe that the game will ship with no DLC content or pre-order bonuses, the amount of voice acting is worrying as well, don't get me wrong I'd love all my custom characters to have their own voice but the amount of data and funds involved here must be ridiculous (hi TOR) sacrifices had to be made in some areas.

As far as endings go, I don't think even biodrones believe them at this point so...

Call me cynical but all this just reinforces my belief that not investing in this franchise was a good idea. They already once created a huge universe with many decisions to be made that were supposed to affect the outcome of the final ending and look what happened there.

I am really unsure about section 1. EAware has never been a sandbox game maker, I'm expecting the implementation of biomes and varied flora/fauna to be somewhere between Peter Molyneux' promises for Fable(1) and an outright lie.

I'm also not entirely sure about the 40 different endings. ME3 fans were promised that the endgame would be more than an option A B or C.

spartandude:
Ive heard this one before. Oh Bioware, when will you learn....

CriticalMiss:
I hope there is a green ending like in Mass Effect 3, I hate those other games with their silly binary choices between red and blue endings. Maybe they will be innovative and utilise Next-Gen Technology (tm) and have multicoloured endings?

They could have purple for the morally ambiguous ending.

I have always equated the color puce with morally ambiguous, is it a color? is it the french word for flea? does it sound like a disgusting sex act? most definitely, its not telling you what it is, hence moral ambigooey.

OT: 40 different endings? I would have run out of ideas on ending seven, and that one would have been the gingerbread ending so scraping the bottom of the barrel there, that says to me small changes that aren't worth replaying.

OMG! 40 different endings! I've got two points on this matter:
1) Most of them would be indistinguishable in CGA graphics!
2) If I recall correctly, Fallout 3 had 256 different endings ;)

All this sounds interesting, it's almost like Bioware is making the RPG of my dreams.

I sincerely hope this game becomes a success and lives up to the hype, especially since they've made the smart move of not throwing in DLC companions.

Also, jars of bees? awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

Yeah, that can't possibly go wrong. Excuse me while I go work on 40 different cars all with the same deadline and then try to combine them into voltron, also before the deadline.

All of these features sound amazing...but new mechanics are rarely perfected on the first try. And I have a fair bit of skepticism after being so disappointed by DA2. Going to wait a few weeks for reviews and to hear from people who have actually seen a few of the endings, then I might consider a purchase.

Mr Ink 5000:
40 different ending? this is madness! I dont even know 40 different colours?!

Well, they have the color pulse in various combinations. With 3 colors and 2 pulses, you could already have 9 different endings!

It would be nice if Bioware would add a gamepad option on every pc version of these games ^_^
I really dislike playing Dragon Age and Mass Effect with mouse and keyboard.
And it's really not that much of an update.
If Dragon Age Inquisition has no controller support on pc this time I think I'll pass up this one.
But hey... Who cares about a few customers anymore when there are masses just buying it...
We'll see...
Hell I'd even pay 5,- for this option as DLC on all these games...
But...
Offcourse NO F#^% will be given... >_<

It would be nice if Bioware would add a gamepad option on every pc version of these games ^_^
If Dragon Age Inquisition has no controller support on pc this time I think I'll pass up this one.
But hey... Who cares about a few customers anymore when there are masses just buying it...
We'll see...
But...

GabeZhul:

Cecilo:
Yea, Sure, 40 different endings. Just like Mass Effect 3 was supposed to have so and so amount of endings.

My thoughts exactly.

StormShaun:
Although I am a bit sceptical about the Inquisitor themselves, I like the sound of another "Origin" prologue, but he or she will have the ability to close the rifts ... this make me ask "how?"

By being the local "chosen one", of course. A "Dragon-Age-Born", if you will. :P

That said, even though it looks pretty good, I probably still won't pick this up at launch, simply because I would probably need to update my PC before I would be able to run it properly, and I probably won't have the funds for that for a while.

And not to mention that every single one of Bioware's games have some sort of memory leak (on PC)or have really bad bugs like DA2 not being able to save or the games flat out not running on single core machines. Still, I'll be one of those idiots that gets it day one.

Fair enough for the amount of different endings, but there better not be an achievement to see em all as there was in origins, that took me forever

BioWare really needs to stop making big promises for their games and just focus on making the game. After Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, nobody will believe any of their hype building attempts. I really want what they're saying here to be true... but I also remember the rushed states that both DA2 and ME3 were released in. Neither of those games lived up to what they should have been.

Nimcha:

Clive Howlitzer:
People keep touting the fact their game has 500 different endings. I'd rather have one satisfying ending than 40 mediocre ones where everything is homogenized because of player choice to take into account.

And because most players play the game in exactly the same way everyone will end up with the same ending anyway. Cue the complaints...

I loved the ME3 endings and I hope they don't bend over backwards to cater to the yelling haters.

Yes you love the ending but lots of people don't, and if bioware made endings for those people you could simply not play those endings, and then everybody(well okay most people) would be happy.

Anyway, I'm going to be optimistic here and assume that bioware and maybe even ea learned from their mistakes, because they know that if they don't deliver no amount of artistic integrity is going to save them.

Lamnidae:
We'll see...
But...

Please don't give EA any ideas. They might start charging 5 bucks just to have color in our games.

I will say That even though I was disappointed by DA2, it was no where near a bad game; in fact, I was playing it not just a week ago. As for controller support, I could see why you would want it in DA2, but Origins was designed for the computer first, and with a controller sucks. I have it on PC and 360 and everything is just better with mouse and keyboard. The controller suuuucks so much on 360. If the game is anywhere near DA2 style combat, then yes controller support would be nice, but its a wait and see approach

note: I think the captcha system has developed a sense of homour. It reads "once again". Well it got that right, once again I'm bothered by the damn captcha system

I am not particularly excited. Most of this sounds good, but at the same time Bioware always makes it's products sound good, and we're in a position where they have outright lied to customers before, and even released "behind the scenes" apps for games like "Mass Effect 3" that make it clear they knew exactly what they were doing. Given the lack of doing a new, proper, Mass Effect 3 ending and similar things I can't really say I trust Bioware. I'll be waiting until after this game comes out to see what people are saying (especially about the endings) before I put down any money on it.

To be honest two things in their statement make me wary. They mention not doing the DLC characters due to perceptions of people feeling cheated for being sold things already on the disc. Bioware doesn't actually say "we were wrong, this was a scummy thing to do, and we're not going to do it anymore" they actually say that the people were complaining so they are bowing to pressure even if the people making the complaints were wrong. That shows a kind of warped attitude that makes me war. The second thing that gets me is that they are again making this an "action RPG" as opposed to a true RPG, the first "Dragon Age" was so well received because it was basically a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate (ie what Baldur's Gate would have been like with then-current technology), people still play the old "Infinity Engine"
games and there are efforts to update and re-launch them going on. A big part of the problem with "Dragon Age 2" was not only that it re-used environments and such, but was turned into something similar to a brawler. One of the things people were mocking was the fact that the loading screens would tell you to use standard "RPG party tactics" like using warriors in front of mages and such, but in the actual game this was impossible because the bad guys would spawn in waves, appearing right in the middle of the party, and some had abilities that let them basically run around the rather open (in many cases) combat areas with complete imputiny. You couldn't say stand a fighter in a place where the bad guys absolutely had to get past him before they could get to the spell casting mage. By trying to keep this as an 'action RPG' series as opposed to a more tactical one, it still shows they really don't know the audience that made the first game successful and are trying to go after what they see as a more profitable sector with the series. Perhaps it will work and be a very good game, but when I look at the disaster they already created, and what had me invested in the series to begin with, it doesn't seem like they are exactly getting things back on track with what people wanted after "Origins".

What's more I have to wonder what exactly they are talking about when they mention this game shipping on 14 discs as an excuse for not having more voice options. To be painfully blunt, games haven't really been shipping on discs for ages, especially for the PC. The disc just connects you to something like "STEAM" where you download it online. What's more consoles themselves increasingly require you to be online, and seem to be moving towards phasing out physical media, with digital distribution available. I'd expect with something like this that Bioware would just focus on making the product "digital only" and do what they need to in order to make the game as high quality as possible. To be honest though I think the bottom line is that voice actors are expensive and hiring some guys to read a couple dozen hours of gameplay dialogue in a recording studio is more than they want to spend. I might receive things a bit better if Bioware kind of just said "hey, we're cheap, it's too expensive" rather than going on about needing 14 bloody discs which just sounds insane.

If it seems like I'm picking on Bioware, it's because I am. They deserve to be picked on, it's their job to win me back, not my job to fawn over them. They created a situation where now I'm going to get on their case and view everything they say in the worst possible light because hey... that's the kind of reputation they've earned.

The 40 different endings is probably going to be something along the lines of DA1 where you get different slides and voice-over at the end based on your choices. 40 slides could mean 20 major choices...

Or if it's 40 different endings you could just have 6 major yes/no choices with 6 slots and 4 wildcards where you can get bonus slides and VOILA! 40 different endings. :P

Sounds too good to be true.
Probably is.

Still I'll be paying attention, maybe when it's released if the reviews are good I'll play through the old games and make a definitive save file for one nice fulfilling playthrough.

By forty different endings, do they mean the smallest of changes will be made from ending 28 and 29? Like a character will die in one, but not in another. Because that doesn't equal a new ending. But every other detail sounds nice. They're getting my attention more and more with every news announcement.

Called it. I knew the Fade was going to break from all the magic, war, and death that this war started. I really hope that the main story chooses to focus on that story, and what comes through the Fade, than the Mage/Templar war.

If this game is only on the PS4, this will be the game that certainly makes me get a PS4 (if I don't have one by then). Looking forward to this even more.

Please don't let there be a trophy for viewing every ending. Should they pull off all forty endings, that's going to take forever.

The way I am looking at this article is until BioWare themselves say it, I don't trust anything being said. I looked at the BioWare boards and there is another thread "Large Number of Endings" and this quote caught my eye from David Gaider

Insofar as DAI goes, at this point you're unlikely to get any of us to comment on anything which would be taken as a promise or be open to interpretation. So take the information for what it is, until we decide whether we wish to talk about it further.

So that really means to me "believe at your own risk".

Link

As much as I want to believe all this I'm going to wait for the first patches and a price drop. That being said, I'm still quite confident that this is going to be an enjoyable game. But no more pre-orders from me since DA2, sorry BW.

Remember the last time Bioware said "everything you do will affect your ending?"

Yeah.

40 different endings? No DLC characters? Improved gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_GPkOfVKI

Oh, Bioware, didn't you get the memo? It's statistically impossible to for you to come back after the triumvirate of disasters that were TOR, DA2 and ME3. You can kick your marketing into overdrive and have your corporate overlords try to shut out any negative press, but that will never erase the truth.

You guys forfeited your artistic integrity the moment joined EA and their corporate philosophy.

I don't find excitement in these details and previews. Just more pandering and buzzwords from a developer that's lost touch with what made them great to begin with.

40 endings are just complete overkill. I just get the feeling most of them will be very similar. All i want is 3 endings that have impact and close the game. Them saying there are 40 endings just takes the shine off the game for me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here