Final Fantasy - My Retrospective of an Entire Series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

hanselthecaretaker:
I should probably revisit FF6 again with this in mind. I'd probably end up enjoying it more using that mindset.

Just don't play the PS1 release.
How a game on a 'superior' system managed to run WORSE...only you, Square, only you.

Tanis:

hanselthecaretaker:
I should probably revisit FF6 again with this in mind. I'd probably end up enjoying it more using that mindset.

How a game on a 'superior' system managed to run WORSE...only you, Square, only you.

Noted. What about the Anthology (IV & V)? I booted up V last night and finally figured out where my next objective is after leaving it on hiatus for over a year.

hanselthecaretaker:

Tanis:

hanselthecaretaker:

Noted. What about the Anthology (IV & V)? I booted up V last night and finally figured out where my next objective is after leaving it on hiatus for over a year.

If I recall correctly, all of the SNES on PS1 collections ran worse than their original counter parts.
-Might be 'fixed' if playing on the PS3/PS4 and it could be based on region. Not 100% on this.
-Odin Sphere (PS2) ran better for the PAL release than the NTSC-U release. :shrug:

I'd argue the best version of FF4 is the 'Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection'.
-It has the original game, with less censorship than the OG NTSC-U release.

Some folks prefer the DS remake, but...I'm a bit mixed on it.

Why did the bully give you FF7?

Marik2:
Why did the bully give you FF7?

Anyways, FFV has been cutting into the time I'm supposed to spend finishing the Ivory King DLC in Souls 2. The job system is really opening up into something truly exceptional. I've fought my way through the maze of Cid's fire ship and am about to encounter something fierce I think. I'll have to prioritize Souls, but am anxious to get back into this 25 year old game, which is a pretty amazing thing. I *almost* forgot how good these games can be.

Sometime in the middle of the Playstation 2's very long life cycle, I got myself a PSP. Along with that PSP I got the 20th aniversary versions of Final Fantasy 1 and 2. I was down to see how my favorite series began.

Man Final Fantasy 1 doesn't tell you shit does it? It's old school NES through and through. You hit "New Game" and bam pick your four classes and poof you in the world. No explaination, no story, nothing. Just poof and "go get 'em!". So my four classes were warrior, monk, white mage, and black mage. I figured that it would be a balanced party of tank, 2 dps, and a healer. Since the game doesn't tell me anything at the beginning I do what I do best, and grind. Well I try to grind, but the first set of goblins damn near kills me. I mean I know NES games were hard, but fuck me right?

I go into town and immediate see if there are items I can buy to help....oh....okay....so that game just starts your party with nothing equipped. Gee Thanks game. I buy stuff for my characters and go back out, suddenly goblins are easy. Perfect! I figure that since this game is NES hard, I should over level my balls off. I spend a few hours grinding goblins to get everyone to level ten, and wish my mages learned magic. They don't.

So back in town I go, and find a magic shop where I can buy spells. Well golly me. This sure is old school.

I decide to explore the castle and learn that there is a ruin up north where someone stole the princess, and only we can save her. OKay then sure. Seems kinda short but okay let's go save the kingdom and beat the game at level 10. I go up there smacking wolves out of my way like the pointless peons they are and meet Garland, the villain of the game who says he will "Knock me down". So I kill him, in one hit.....with my monk...who will now forever be named "Mister Fister".

So Mister Fister and his slaves save the princess, the king rewards me by rebuilding a bridge because apparently he will let his kingdom fall apart unless someone does him a huge solid. What a dick, I hope he gets overthrown soon.

I leave go out onto the new bridge and the game starts. I'm like five hours in by now and the game just started. Wow.

The rest of my adventure goes pretty much the same. Though I ended up having to look up a walkthrough ultimately because I don't have the patience to try and figure random shit out. This game is full of random shit to do as well. Things like finding TNT in a random chest to then take to the dwarves who will blow open a continent so you can sail the rest of the world. Knowing the special item you can bring to the Bahamut King to upgrade your jobs. All along the way I noticed that any time the game started to get challenging, leveling up a couple times would completely negate that challenge. Even Warmech, the "super" boss of the game didn't stand a chance against my over leveling.

All in all, I had a lot of fun with OG FF, I loved how I could see the ideas that started here and made it all the way up to FFX. Additionally I liked how simple the game was in the end. Level up, beat bosses, repeat. I really enjoyed it. In fact I liked it even more than FFX, because it allowed me to overpower the game without doing stupid mini games. Seriously, FFX minigames can fuck right off.

While I am here I might as well talk to you guys about Final Fantasy 2, since I played that right after FF1.

Really there is only one thing to say about FF2. Fuck that game.

Stay tuned because 12 is next.

@CritialGaming:
If you hate yourself...try the White Mage Challenge for FF1. I only managed to beat the game once doing it.
It's basically Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind and a WHOLE lot of luck.

FF2 had a crummy battle system...it's a shame to, because the story was actually pretty good.

Tanis:
@CritialGaming:
If you hate yourself...try the White Mage Challenge for FF1. I only managed to beat the game once doing it.
It's basically Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind - Grind and a WHOLE lot of luck.

FF2 had a crummy battle system...it's a shame to, because the story was actually pretty good.

Yeah I'm not down for challenge runs. I grind to get OP not to barely get by.

FF2 is the only Final Fantasy game I quit playing outright.

I look forward to hearing the thoughts on 12. Outside Tactics Advance it was the first Final Fantasy I played, and I quite liked it. Though to be fair I never finished it, I went off to college and left my PS2 at home since I didn't have my own tv. I still have that PS2 so I'll probably boot it up again, and hope I can try Zodiac on PC sometime

@CritialGaming:
It was something to do when I road the bus with my PSP.
It wasn't something I'd do again, but a few friends of mine all started out a new save and tried to beat the game the fastest.
Took nearly 6 months before sometimes finally did it. >_>

Also: Yeah...FF2 is, uh...special?
The leveling/stats mechanic is broken as fuck and the whole game feels like one of those 'Early Access that got bumped to a retail release'.

Comic Sans:
snip

Funny you should mention Final Fantasy XII because here we go!

So the PS2 was winding down and there were murmurs of the Playstation 3 coming down the pipes. I needed a new RPG and I remember suddenly seeing FFXII on the shelf randomly. Like it released out of nowhere, I had seen or heard nothing about it, it was just there. So of course I picked it up, obviously.

Final Fantasy XII's story is...well...it's star wars. I guess. I'm not a Star Wars fan so I barely know the SW lore. Bu tI remember kinda being really bored with XII's story, rolling my eyes at Empire this, Rabenastre that, yada yada whatever. Honestly it wasn't far into the game that I just stopped paying attention to the story completely.

However the gameplay, oh man the game play is beautiful. Of course the first time I played this game was the American 1st edition, so I didn't get the fancy license boards or job system that would come in later international versions. I didn't know and I didn't care. I loved the gameplay. I loved running around and fighting enemies right in the overworld. No transition screens, no menus, just program your commands and murder shit. I loved it. Additionally to basic leveling, you used the license board to unlock a character's ability to equip better shit, use better abilities and whatnot. I really really liked it, and when I grinded I found myself going, "Okay 30 more enemies to get this skill or unlock that boost" it was addicting and I really liked it.

I played around with the gambits so much that the game almost played itself, which is funny considering the next game. But I really liked programming characters with Gambits and then seeing if I had prepared them well enough that the computer could win for me. It was an interesting approach. Though I grinded so much that the computer almost always won without trying very hard due to being OP as fuck.

XII is the first Final Fantasy game where I really liked the side content too. At least as far as the hunts were concerned. I mean it was an excuse for more combat so of course I liked it.

If I was ranking the games based on their gameplay, then XII would be at the top of my list. However I'm not doing that. I'm ranking them based on how well they stuck in my memory, and since none of the story or the characters stood out to me, I can't honestly rank this on my top five list.

Recently I started replaying the Zodiac Age on PS4 and have made an effort to pay much more attention to the story. I'm not very far into the game, so I can't really comment on the differences in experiencing the game now versus however many years ago it originally came out. But we'll see in a few weeks when I can actually sit down and get through it.

I got the Steelbook when FF12 first came out and got it again when Zodiac Age got released.

I think the remake/remaster on the PS2 is well worth the replay.

It's also nice knowing that opening a random box WON'T stop me from getting an ultimate weapon.
>_>

CritialGaming:

Tanis:
@CritialGaming:

I think my favorite summary of FF2 is thus:

Final Fantasy II is a pair of simultaneous battles on two separate planes. The first is the fictional struggle of Frioniel and the rebel forces against the might of the Palamecian Empire. The second is the very real battle between you, the player, and Final Fantasy II in which the game attempts to foil your efforts and demoralize you from ever playing again. As you try to beat Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy II tries to beat you.

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff02

And yes, I've actually beaten it. It was the GBA version, which was less broken, but still painful at times. There are only two real reasons to play it.

1.) Completionism.

2.) To see where a lot of the series recurring elements(Chocobos, Dragoons, Cid) came from.

I played the American FF's. Meaning starting with FF1 (it kind of looked like the sequel to Dragon Warrior at the time and I had liked Dragon Warrior.) Then FF2 on the SNES (actually FFIV) then FF3 (actually 6.) I played them before localization gave them their correct names. Then 7 and 8. Unlike the OP I preferred 8, it reduced grinding and by then I was in college and didn't have the free time I did as a kid playing 1, 2, or 3. Only needing to fight each enemy once was a huge time saver and a massive improvement over 7s grindfest materia grinding. Then I played 9 and 10. And 12 made me quit the series and I haven't picked one up since. Which was my favorite? Well I went right past it, but 3 (6). Seemed to be the last of them that really followed the formula. Every one since has continually tried some "new thing" gameplay wise and just thrown out everything that came before. 3 was the last one that really just added some new things while actually improving on what came before. Then 8 and 9 I suppose, although nostalgia kind of makes me throw 1 into that mix somewhere. Then 2(4) then 7 and 10. I have a real soft spot for 2, the sacrifice thing gets so overused it actually becomes funny.

Wrex Brogan:

Necron I think is a translation issue - in the Original Japanese he's foreshadowed by Garland and Kuja, and his name makes more sense in context (he's essentially the creature that comes in and destroys the universe at the end of time, but Kuja jumped the gun), but the translation kinda jumbled things around a bit so he comes a little out of left-field. I think that gets fixed in one of the english versions, but the original PS2 translation cuts him out completely.

Can I have a source on the foreshadowing in the original Japanese? I can't find any links for that.

Anywho, I've played V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XIII and XV. Currently playing XII (the Zodiac Age version), so I won't include that yet in the rankings.

Rankings would be: IX > X > VII > VI > VIII > XV > V > XIII.

X was my first, but doesn't take my top spot, although I do love it to bits and its combat system is my favourite so far.

1. The Ivalice Games (Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, etc.)

2. The MMORPGs and 15

3. Final Fantasy 1, 4, 6, 7, and 9.

4. Final Fantasy 10 and 8

5. Final Fantasy 2, 3, 5.

Shit: Final Fantasy 13 games, Final Fantasy 7 Spin Off Games.

Dalisclock:

CritialGaming:

Tanis:
@CritialGaming:

I think my favorite summary of FF2 is thus:

Final Fantasy II is a pair of simultaneous battles on two separate planes. The first is the fictional struggle of Frioniel and the rebel forces against the might of the Palamecian Empire. The second is the very real battle between you, the player, and Final Fantasy II in which the game attempts to foil your efforts and demoralize you from ever playing again. As you try to beat Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy II tries to beat you.

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff02

And yes, I've actually beaten it. It was the GBA version, which was less broken, but still painful at times. There are only two real reasons to play it.

1.) Completionism.

2.) To see where a lot of the series recurring elements(Chocobos, Dragoons, Cid) came from.

Damn, that Kawazu sounds like a guy who either got picked on or pranked a lot in school and never really got over it.

Retrospective of the Entire series? You only speak of one game. 7. And yeah 7 is a little overrated but it's a pretty good game. I found the story tiresome by the end of disk 2. Cloud was a curious case for a protagonist. The more I got to know him. The more annoying I found him.

DOes it hold up. Yeah and you don't need to grind nearly as much as you think you do. FF7 followed the optimal JRPG curgve pretty closely. Hang around in an area until you've been able to outfit your party with all the gear being sold. even the party members you aren't using.

Follow that rule and you'll find you don't really over grind and you will never be under levelled.

If you simply never run from combat... you will near always have enough gil to shop.

Kyrian007:
I played the American FF's. Meaning starting with FF1 (it kind of looked like the sequel to Dragon Warrior at the time and I had liked Dragon Warrior.) Then FF2 on the SNES (actually FFIV) then FF3 (actually 6.) I played them before localization gave them their correct names. Then 7 and 8. Unlike the OP I preferred 8, it reduced grinding and by then I was in college and didn't have the free time I did as a kid playing 1, 2, or 3. Only needing to fight each enemy once was a huge time saver and a massive improvement over 7s grindfest materia grinding. Then I played 9 and 10. And 12 made me quit the series and I haven't picked one up since. Which was my favorite? Well I went right past it, but 3 (6). Seemed to be the last of them that really followed the formula. Every one since has continually tried some "new thing" gameplay wise and just thrown out everything that came before. 3 was the last one that really just added some new things while actually improving on what came before. Then 8 and 9 I suppose, although nostalgia kind of makes me throw 1 into that mix somewhere. Then 2(4) then 7 and 10. I have a real soft spot for 2, the sacrifice thing gets so overused it actually becomes funny.

15 is good. Good time to get back into it. 12 and 13 weren't that fun compared to the others, in my opinion.

MonsterCrit:
Retrospective of the Entire series? You only speak of one game. 7. And yeah 7 is a little overrated but it's a pretty good game. I found the story tiresome by the end of disk 2. Cloud was a curious case for a protagonist. The more I got to know him. The more annoying I found him.

DOes it hold up. Yeah and you don't need to grind nearly as much as you think you do. FF7 followed the optimal JRPG curgve pretty closely. Hang around in an area until you've been able to outfit your party with all the gear being sold. even the party members you aren't using.

Follow that rule and you'll find you don't really over grind and you will never be under levelled.

If you simply never run from combat... you will near always have enough gil to shop.

They get to other games if you keep reading the thread.

I'm pretty interested in seeing their take on FF 3-6 if they ever got to them.

McMarbles:

MonsterCrit:

I did. Sadly im out of town for a business trip so i wont be able to write about those games yet

CritialGaming:

McMarbles:
[quote="MonsterCrit" post="9.1019057.24119983"]Retrospective of the Entire series? You only speak of one game. 7. And yeah 7 is a little overrated but it's a pretty good game. I found the story tiresome by the end of disk 2. Cloud was a curious case for a protagonist. The more I got to know him. The more annoying I found him.

FF6? Oh right the overrated one. Never coiuld stand that one. Waaaaaaay too much emo. Got to the point where i wanted my party to die they were so whiny. I wouldn't see an FF game that bad until FF8. COure the worst one is FF2.

MonsterCrit:

CritialGaming:

McMarbles:
[quote="MonsterCrit" post="9.1019057.24119983"]Retrospective of the Entire series? You only speak of one game. 7. And yeah 7 is a little overrated but it's a pretty good game. I found the story tiresome by the end of disk 2. Cloud was a curious case for a protagonist. The more I got to know him. The more annoying I found him.

FF6? Oh right the overrated one. Never coiuld stand that one. Waaaaaaay too much emo. Got to the point where i wanted my party to die they were so whiny. I wouldn't see an FF game that bad until FF8. COure the worst one is FF2.

Emo is not the word I'd use to describe that cast. I'm not sure what game you played, 'cause it sure doesn't sound like the one I did.

MonsterCrit:

CritialGaming:

McMarbles:

All FF games are extremely emo. They are still great though.

MonsterCrit:

Maybe a couple of them, but Edgar? Cyan? Mog?

I could only really consider Setzer and Shadow emo, and Edgar has enough un-emo for them both.

dscross:

MonsterCrit:

CritialGaming:

All FF games are extremely emo. They are still great though.

FF1 wasn't :). You had 4 quiet protagonists that didn't go on and on about how their life sucks and how their life is unfair and how sad they are. I mean geez. It took me ytears to finish that game because by around half way through I literally lost all interest in seeing the rest of a story. I wanted to play something enjoyable.

There's a rule writers tend to follow.:
"You have to make them laugh before yoiu can make them cry."

I mean granted Most FF games are kinda like this but the good ones at least lead you into it. No thank you. I enjoyed FF5 but FF6 was just a straight up miserable slough. I wouldn't come across a FF8 that so made me hate the people that I'm playing with until... FF8.. wow that didn't take long. FF2 was the same but at least we got 2 decent and one medicocre games betrween that and the next emo fest.

Silvanus:

MonsterCrit:

I could only really consider Setzer and Shadow emo, and Edgar has enough un-emo for them both.

Edgar Sabin, Umaro and Mog were really the only bright spots. Can't believe you went with Cyan mir Boo hoo my wife and child are dead and the kingdom I served was poisoned.).

I liken FF6 as to trying too hard bto add emotional weight and thusly failing. IUt's like the Aeris death scene in FF7. I was completely unmoved. All I could thinkewas.."I have life 30 Phoenixz downs and 6 elixir potions in my inventory, I have no less that 22 people in my party that can cast life."

NNow what happened to Bloodwing in Bl2, that got me emotional.

MonsterCrit:

Edgar Sabin, Umaro and Mog were really the only bright spots. Can't believe you went with Cyan mir Boo hoo my wife and child are dead and the kingdom I served was poisoned.).

Well, yes, he's sad about the tragedies that befall him, but he doesn't really mope. He spends the vast majority of the game acting in a bombastic fashion, including after the fall of Doma. It's even a running joke in the game.

Phoenixmgs:
I powered through and beat it because the random battles weren't nearly as abundant, and the characters were rather bad (I hated Tidus and Yuna) and the story was just OK.

Even Auron?

MonsterCrit:
IUt's like the Aeris death scene in FF7. I was completely unmoved. All I could thinkewas.."I have life 30 Phoenixz downs and 6 elixir potions in my inventory, I have no less that 22 people in my party that can cast life."

I'm currently nearing the end of a replay of FF7 (just need to do a bunch of bird races for Knights of the Round, then go stab Sephiroth in the face). What struck me about that scene in this playthrough is the game itself doesn't even seem to give a crap. "Hm, that's a shame. NOW WHO'S UP FOR SNOWBOARDING?"

Ima Lemming:

Phoenixmgs:
I powered through and beat it because the random battles weren't nearly as abundant, and the characters were rather bad (I hated Tidus and Yuna) and the story was just OK.

Even Auron?

Auron was fine.

Actually...

So I've never played any of the FFs except a tiny bit of the first one just to see its combat. But one day I was curious, so I went on to Wikipedia and read the plot for every Final Fantasy game. And the one that stood out most to me...

Was the original Final Fantasy.

But how can that be, you may ask. The original FF was filled to the brim with dumb fetch quests and there was rather little dialogue. And to that, I'd say you're absolutely right. But the thing is, the first FF doesn't actually truly shine until at the end of the game, reaching the climax where everything begins to finally come together. Then it really wowed me. You should read for yourself:

The original Final Fantasy strikes me now as an old relic. Ancient and aged badly, yet if you look closely, you'll notice an incredible legend written on it that just feels timeless. And when I considered it all together, including the awesome dev story in context of it, it quickly became my favorite without me even playing it. Even the name is badass and fits the game VERRRYY well. If there was ever a FF game that deserved it's namesake, it was this one.

I can't recommend anyone to actually play the game though. This is by far the biggest problem with it. The gameplay really has aged so horribly, and it's a crying shame. The setting has potential too. Which is why it is in dire need of a remake. Take the fetch quest filler out and revamp it into the ancient tale it was meant to tell. And be sure to keep that badass ending. And boom. You got the makings of the next best FF.

FF8 was my favourite, I got the demo on a demo disk with a gaming magazine. I was hooked right away. In contrast, I found the junction system easy and straight forward. Yeah Squall cops a lot of flack for being dull, but he was conscripted in to a private mercenary army at a very young age. A military upbringing doesn't really teach you how to be a human being. If they ever released it on Google Play, I'd buy it again. It's odd, they have 6, 7, and 9. But not 8.

MonsterCrit:

Silvanus:

MonsterCrit:

Yeah but in FF6 eaxh caracter have a tragedy in they backstory, that lead them to fight, but actually resolve their past somewhere in the game, in the world of ruin for most of them. Cyan had his whole kingdom poisoned, and in the Doma castle he make peace with the fact that his kid and wife is dead and learn to accept it. Locke is fill with guilt about Rachel's death, but revived her long enough so that she can tell him that it's not his fault, Setzer make peace witht the death of Daryl, sabin forgive edgar for making peace with the empire after their father death, celes was also torn between her role as an empire spy, and her will to fight evil that she regain with Cid (but i always let him die, the story is better when he die), Shadow decide to let himself die because the guilt he have for letting his friend die in the robbery that had plan and for having abandonned Relm and her mother. Gau finding his father and why he was abandonned. Terra learning to care by saving the children after the destruction...

CritialGaming:
Sometime in the middle of the Playstation 2's very long life cycle, I got myself a PSP. Along with that PSP I got the 20th aniversary versions of Final Fantasy 1 and 2. I was down to see how my favorite series began.

Man Final Fantasy 1 doesn't tell you shit does it? It's old school NES through and through. You hit "New Game" and bam pick your four classes and poof you in the world. No explaination, no story, nothing. Just poof and "go get 'em!". So my four classes were warrior, monk, white mage, and black mage. I figured that it would be a balanced party of tank, 2 dps, and a healer. Since the game doesn't tell me anything at the beginning I do what I do best, and grind. Well I try to grind, but the first set of goblins damn near kills me. I mean I know NES games were hard, but fuck me right?

actually, playing FF at release was much more harder than paying it afterward i think. back then, first there was no internet to help us when we were stuck. and then, FF established a few basis that was reusein each game, but that we needed to figured out at first. i played nearly half the game without realising that putting the equipement on the caracter wasnt enough, i had to actually equip them, realising that lighthing is good against water, fire against ice, etc.

anyway, i've played in order(going with the japanese numbers) FF 1, magic quest, 6, 4, 7, 10, 9, 8 , 2, 12, 3, 5. to this day, final fantasy 6 still hold up the top ranking in FF games for me.

In my opinion:

VI(GBA)>IX>VII>IV(GBA)>>>MASSIVE POWERGAP>>>X>XII>I(PS1)>>>XV>XIII>>>>>Maure>>>>>FFVIII

The list above is of all the Final Fantasy games I've completed. I've completed both 7 and 9 on both PS1 and PC. I failed to play 6 and 4 on the SNES, and did not get the oppurtunity to play them until the GBA realease. As for all the other titles, I played the international version as soon as they became available in my region. I should also note that I played the PS1 version of FFV until the last third, but was unable to muster the willpower to finish it (I found it to be a bit of a slog - heresy, I know). While that fact alone will tell you a great deal about what I thought about the game, I decided that it would be unfair to rank it, as I have yet to finish it.

6, 9, 7 and 4 are all masterpieces, and I would easily recommend them to anyone. The powergap titles tend be mediocore titles, usually let down by massive dips in quality after a certain point (12) or just have some poor design decisions (along with poor voice acting) that really drags the overall quality down (13 and 10). 1 is just decent, although enjoyable. I don't want to talk about 8.

If I was allowed to include Tactics, I would place it just behind 6.

First Final Fantasy: FFVIII

Favorite Final Fantasy: FFVI for the characters, but FFX has the best battle system.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here