Best way a video game broke the 4th wall.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Just about every time it's done in The Bard's Tale (the 2004 one, of course)... which is quite a number of times.

rachet and clank: going commando
Rathet: NO! he got away again
Clank: its almost liek we never get here on time
both look at screen acusingly

May not necessarily be breaking the fourth wall but "Would You Kindly?" in Bioshock had me feeling I'd just spent the last few hours being mind raped!

The Nameless Mod. Killing Scara B King early...

Screw you, it is a "game"!

x0ny:
Am I of a minority when I say I had to google the definition of breaking the fourth wall?

OT: Tamagotchi

probably not but no one else is going to admit it

Generator:
Jak 3 for me. I laugh every single time I hear Seem say, "This isn't a game." And then Jak and Daxter both look at the camera, confusedly. It's absolutely hilarious!

That one.

I'll also agree with people here on this topic that the Metal Gear Solid games had great 4th wall humor.

I'm going through Disgaea 3 right now and I'm not sure how many times the characters have already referenced their journey as a game.

Duke Nukem Forever where he jumps through the wall and punches the developer

Going with the destroy all humans game, specificaly the second one, one of the lines goes something like this:

Character: *Explainging something boeing*

Crypto: "You do realise the player has gone to go make nacho's about now, right?"

Or the one bit:

Crypto: "wait, there's no ninja's in the 60's..."

Natalie: "Shhhh, besided's, everybody loves ninja's."

wouldyoukindly99:
Assassin's Creed II:

"Itsa me, Mario!" I laughed out loud at how such a ridiculous line could be in such a serious game.

And Batman: Arkham Asylum when Scarecrow gases you for the third time and the "Reversed opening cutscene" where Joker has Batman tied up in the Batmobile, if you try to skip the cutscene a little icon pops up in the corner that says "Press J to skip." There is no J button obviously.

lol i jumped a mile when at that part in assassin's creed 2. i'm gonna have to buy batman

The end of Mother 3.

I hope my world is good to me, too.

The Psychomantis battle in Metal Gear solid. If you bother the Colonel enough he actually smashes the 4th wall with a sledgehammer by telling you that the secret lies in the controller socket.

in jak 3 there's a part were a monk says this isnt a game jak and daxter stare at the camera confused. wow now that i look some already said that one. then the end of monkey island were guybrush says never pay more then 20 bucks for computer game

The most unnerving one for me was probably the one towards the end of Metal Gear Solid 2, during the 'I need Scissors! 61!' bit. At one point he says "Honestly though, you'v ebeen playing the game a long time. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?"

The funniest, just because it caught me offguard, was in Jade Cocoon 2. "The Hell! What are they doing introducing a new character AFTER the game's finished?"

No More Heros ending with the brother.

Alarien:
Metal Gear Solid. Horribly overrated game series, but very clever 4th wall humor.

Agreed. The Psycho Mantis thing was fun too.

Vishnu Namboodiripad:
simpsons game the ending where ralph stares at you. lol. ha ha ha

Yeah The Simpsons Game was a big Fourth Wall breaker, were all a video game!

Generator:
Jak 3 for me. I laugh every single time I hear Seem say, "This isn't a game." And then Jak and Daxter both look at the camera, confusedly. It's absolutely hilarious!

someone who agrees with me and can read my mind predicting that i was going to say that >_>

The scenes in Paper Mario: TTYD where the characters refer to "The one in front of the TV"

The English voice acting in Fatal Frame makes me smack face-first into the 4th Wall, does that count?

Alternatively, Lambert is explaining the alarm system in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Sam Fisher asks if that means mission failure.

"Of corse not! This is no game, Fisher!" It was a plesant suprise that tripping too many alarms only means a scornful and ashamed Lambert instead of mission failure.

Its just a flash game but Mardek 2 has a lot of them.

My favourite being "Oh just to remind you, presing enter opens the Menu"
"Whats a menu?"
"I swear everytime Mardek"
"Oh, um, tally ho"

In Batman Arkham Asylum once you have gotten about 85% of the Riddler's challenges completed he freaks out and asks you if you're using the internet.

Jman1236:
The boss fight against Psycho Mantis in MGS where in order to hurt him, you need to unplug the controller and plug it in to port 2. Also the bit in the begining where you have to look on the back of the game case to find out the codec fequence to contact Myrel.

Yea I was wondering when somebody would say that, I'd say it has to be the best case since you actually have to interact with something outside of the game to complete the part

Campbell: Press X to Crawl

Never understood why Snake didn't start asking what buttons he was talking about.

Rednog:
Conker's Bad Furday Live and Reloaded. They changed up the first section of the game and Conker actually mentions that it didn't work the same way in the first game.

Everyone stop posting because is guy just hit the nail on the head.

If you have Garrus and Tali on your squad in Mass Effect 2, Garrus says he misses the elevator conversations.

Assassin's Creed 2, anyone?

Metal Gear Solid 4:
Otacon asks you to put in disc 2 and goes, "Oh yeah, there's a lot more memory now, what an age we live in."

ComradeJim270:
Just about every time it's done in The Bard's Tale (the 2004 one, of course)... which is quite a number of times.

I like how even on the disc it says, "Flip Me Over to See Something Really Disturbing". Obviously the back of the disc = mirror (For the even slower, you = hideous).

The Destroy All Humans series does that almost constantly.

Also in Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury, in one of the tutorial levels where you play as Goku, pretty much everyone you meet makes some remark about pressing a button to do a certain function and then one guy just pretty much says "What's an 'A' or 'B' button? All these people are crazy; telling to press imaginary buttons." I loled at that.

For those saying Assassin's Creed 2, that is not breaking the fourth wall. That is simply referencing another video game. (Although, knowing the setting of that game, the girl running the Animus most likely threw that in there.)

Breaking the fourth wall is where the characters actually acknowledge the fact they are in a video game.

OT: I'm sorry, I can't think of any right now.

Freakout456:
Probably Destroy all Humans 2 because they did it every 5 minutes.

Yes but THAT'S what made it even FUNNIER

OT: I'd say, in TF2 when you play as Scout and get a couple kills, he goes "No otha class gonnaa do that."

Sgtkillalot0:
Assassin's Creed 2, anyone?

No, *childly voice* TELL US PAPA TELL US!

Jman1236:
The boss fight against Psycho Mantis in MGS where in order to hurt him, you need to unplug the controller and plug it in to port 2. Also the bit in the begining where you have to look on the back of the game case to find out the codec fequence to contact Myrel.

Also the torture scene where Ocelot warns you not to "even think about using an auto-fire controller. 'Cause I'll know."

TheTaco007:
Arkham Asylum had a pretty good moment in the third Scarecrow fight, where it makes you think your xbox has frozen, and then restarts from the first cutscene. If you try to skip it, a little thing will pop up at the bottom that says "Press J to skip"
It then proceeds to play out the first five minutes of the game with the good/bad guys reversed. (Ex: batman is strapped into the chair now)
The joker then shoots you in the face, and it displays the death cutscene where the villain who killed you gloats over you and shows a tip. In this case the tip is "Move right thumbstick to dodge bullets" Then, instead of restarting you pop out of a friggin grave.

Actually, on the Xbox 360 version it says "Move the MIDDLE thumbstick to dodge Joker's bullets."

There are only two thumbsticks.

Mine is Assassin's Creed II, but not the "It's a me, Mario!" bit.

SPOILERS.

At the end, Minerva says she isn't talking to Ezio, but through him. She looks right at the camera and starts narrating. She is breaking the fourth wall by talking to Desmond, but also talking to you.

END SPOILERS.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or