YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?
YuGiOh
27.6% (205)
27.6% (205)
Magic: The Gathering
71.7% (533)
71.7% (533)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Feel like getting into a card game and can't decide between these two. Played quite a bit of YuGiOh on the PSP and played Duels of the Planeswalker on the PC and enjoyed both. Can't afford to buy cards for both so I'm wondering which is more fun in the longterm.

From what I've seen, more people still play Magic. I don't know anyone who still plays Yu-Gi-Oh!, which is a shame because I find it more enjoyable. (Probably because I actually learned how to play it...)

Completely different games. Choose wich you like most.

I play Magic, and my friends that used to play YGO now play Magic instead. YGO is good to see if you like TCGs, but Magic is better in terms of being able to play tactically and whatnot.

Yu Gi Oh faces balane issues every time theres a new expansion. Plus all the good cards are banned. So yeah, it sucks.

Magic is way better.
And unrelated, but Duels of the Planeswalker 2012s is awesome.

i lean towards magic, but you should pick whatever your friends are into. there's no point in either of them if you don't have anyone to play with.

I can't comment on Yugioh as I haven't played it in a decade, but I think it comes down to the people you play with. I have a really fun card shop with lots of kind players who are into MTG, and the game is a lot funner through them.

If there are two exclusive shops, one Yugioh and one MTG, go to both and eek out the general feel of the player bases. It may not be the deciding factor for you but I think it would help if you intend to play long term.

Magic. If you ask me, no comparison.

In Yugioh, its Rare Cards = Powerfull = Win

While newer magic editions go the same way, older editions youc an pull combos with common cards that can easily tear your enemy a new one. Its much more tactical dept that Yugi can ever hope to pull.

I would say MTG. The main reason is that MTG player base and infrastructure (Tournaments and events) are much greater than Yugioh's. Its a bit more difficult to learn though due to the ruling system. I would only go Yugioh if you have a lot of friends around you that already play it and don't play MTG.

Also as someone who has played both fairly extensively MTG generally leads to better games and better times.

I would say Yu-Gi-Oh since I actually know how to play it. :)

I'd go with magic, because yo can make a deck that's fun, and competitive for almost nothing. One of my most favorite decks only cost me 50 cents worth of cards and it won Friday Night Magic (this was during Ravnica block btw.)

Well i never played magic, and yugioh was pretty much my childhood so im gonna go with that.

spacepope22:
I'd go with magic, because yo can make a deck that's fun, and competitive for almost nothing. One of my most favorite decks only cost me 50 cents worth of cards and it won Friday Night Magic (this was during Ravnica block btw.)

What was the deck out of curiosity?

OT: And yes, MTG has a good bit of rules, but you learn it very quickly through gameplay. It also has flexible modes of play like Vintage and EDH that I don't believe Yugioh has.

Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release, and has way more tactics to it than Magic could ever have.

Played bot, and I amply prefer Magic for the vast amount of different tactic you can pull out with a deck, while Yugiho feel a simply green deck with some blue spell in it. It's not as deep. And the latest expansion are not as good as the first one. Thrust me on that.

OutrageousEmu:
Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release.

Slow paced? How fast is Yugioh then? Standard goblin, cawblade, or infinite damage decks can win by turn four. What elements are there in Yugioh that aren't in MTG? (not as angry as this seems, more out of curiosity).

Marter:
I don't know anyone who still plays Yu-Gi-Oh!

That's because most of the video game adaptions are unbalanced shit.

I bought the Decade Duels game that can be found on Xbox Live Arcade and its one of the most unbalanced and unfair games I currently have on my Xbox 360. The AI cheats like hell and always seems to get the right cards and the right moments, and in addition to that once you have just started playing and only have your original deck the AI has lots of extremely powerful cards right of the bat that put yours to shame. Oh! And did I mention that the single player campaign is basically just one long tournament with no checkpoints and no ability to save so if you fail against any of the super powerful AI players then its just Game over?

THAT is why there aren't more people playing this thing. Its not that the card game is bad, its just that 90% of the games made after it are shit. The only good thing about Decade Duels is that its only video game adaption I have seen so far that actually has some proper tutorials.

As someone who has played both, I much prefer the feel and play style of MtG. I played Yugioh before the gx packs game out so I'm no doubt behind, but comparing experiences, I say I can put much more strategy in MtG than I could with Yugioh. You can strategize in Yugioh don't get me wrong, but I think the strategies are a little more varied in MtG. This might have changed with the 5ds packs. In my opinion magic is just more fun now.

the main problem with both of these games is that you cant find someone to play them with

but that aside magic is much beter

Found there's a Magic meeting twice a week at a nearby pub so I'm going to get into that I think. Thanks for the advice guys.

How is this even a question? Yu-Gi-Oh is just a cheap MTG knock-off with half the complexity and depth and eight times the stupid anime androgyny.

MTG is way more fun and addictive in the long run. I mean, when you get to the point where you can start fucking people over with a blue/artifact deck, it's just...nirvana.

HumpinHop:

OutrageousEmu:
Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release.

Slow paced? How fast is Yugioh then? Standard goblin, cawblade, or infinite damage decks can win by turn four. What elements are there in Yugioh that aren't in MTG? (not as angry as this seems, more out of curiosity).

Dude, I regularly win by turn three, more than a few times by turn two. In fact, there are 13 ways to win on the first turn, without your opponent being able to do anything.

As for the elements not in Magic, combining monsters, sacrifice, removal from play, traps, and so on. All of these are elements that massively add to the tactical nature of the game.

I bet Magic would be funner, but I really wish they had some sort of guide that explained how to play, because I can't find any sort of instruction for it.

freakonaleash:
I bet Magic would be funner, but I really wish they had some sort of guide that explained how to play, because I can't find any sort of instruction for it.

As usual, the official source is the best for this:

http://wizards.com/magic/tcg/newtomagic.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/newtomagic/learntoplay

Learning the initial rules isn't especially difficult. It's really just a matter of remembering what creature/spell labels all mean for the most part. Doesn't get complex until you get into deck structure and deck building.

I can't reaaly choose between them. To me, Yu-Gi-Oh was alway faster than Magic. Magic had more depth to it's strategy and didn't require you have a rare, powerful card to take down your opponent. Plus, there is something very satisfying about having fifteen creatures on your field ready to obliterate the opponent that is one life away from losing. >:)

OutrageousEmu:

HumpinHop:

OutrageousEmu:

Dude, I regularly win by turn three, more than a few times by turn two. In fact, there are 13 ways to win on the first turn, without your opponent being able to do anything.

As for the elements not in Magic, combining monsters, sacrifice, removal from play, traps, and so on. All of these are elements that massively add to the tactical nature of the game.

Yeesh, never remembered it being that fast (then again it was half a decade ago). You can only win that fast in expensive MTG Vintage decks, do you think Yugioh is still balanced if you can win so quickly with a competitive deck?

I had forgotten about combining monsters, but in MTG you can do similar things through exile, enchantments, cards that let you fetch for mana/big creatures, and there's a great deal of synergy in most decks. Most Black decks nowadays you can pick cards from their hand and discard them, or just straight kill half of their deck. I couldn't say if one has more tactics than the other but I think it's fair to say they're more or less equal.

OutrageousEmu:

HumpinHop:

OutrageousEmu:

magic has a deck that wins on turn 0.(The protean hulk one).

OutrageousEmu:

HumpinHop:

OutrageousEmu:

Winning in 3 turns sounds horrendously stupid and silly to me, and wouldn't having all those elements just make the game needlessly complex?

OutrageousEmu:
Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release, and has way more tactics to it than Magic could ever have.

Well, I don't play yugioh, but don't say Magic lacks strategy. There are decks capable of winning on turn zero, and every set released in Magic literally brings new gameplay elements with it. Every set, without exception. top level players

As for this "the elements not in Magic, combining monsters, sacrifice, removal from play, traps, and so on. All of these are elements that massively add to the tactical nature of the game", those are literally all in Magic, some more so than others. Does yugioh have cards that essentially count as an extra player on your side? How about spells that let you counter those of your opponents? How about things like resource management, and the like? From what I've seen of some old friends playing it, the types of decks you can use or really just limited to what kind of creature type do you want. In magic there are aggro decks, control decks, mana/land ramp decks, combo-based decks, "weenie" decks and burn/direct damage decks. I can literally go on for ages about all the different strategies of magic (I'm a judge :p), and if you want to know more, I gladly will.

from what I read in your posts, it seems like you either have never played magic, or you have to a very limited degree.

EDIT- I see there are a couple people who might want to learn a bit about magic. If you guys have any questions, feel free to throw me a PM. Also, if you want to get into it, I suggest finding a local card shop (NOT a k-mart/target type store) that has sanctioned tournaments and what not, and ask to see the free half-decks they have. You can literally go to any of these stores, choose a color you want to try out, and they will give you a free 30-card deck. Find some friends and try it out, once you get into it, you'll literally have endless hours of fun finding out new strategies and combos.

My friends and I play both, and we enjoy them both. I cannot honestly choose one over the other.

I don't know. I've played more than a few matches of yu-gi-oh and only one of Magic.

I know that Yugioh has some serious balance issues, but from my one match of Magic, I can't say it's much better. I utterly owned the ever loving shit out of my brother in that match. And I was still learning the rules throughout the match as well.

I should probably play more maches of Magic before I judge it, but I can't really vouch for either at the moment.

James Nixon:
Feel like getting into a card game and can't decide between these two. Played quite a bit of YuGiOh on the PSP and played Duels of the Planeswalker on the PC and enjoyed both. Can't afford to buy cards for both so I'm wondering which is more fun in the longterm.

Go with Magic, a better, smarter, more worthwhile game.

Also, people will be playing Magic forever, and the Yu-gi-oh community is not as strong.

Yu-gi-oh was a great starter TCG though. I loved it back in the day.

Marter:
From what I've seen, more people still play Magic. I don't know anyone who still plays Yu-Gi-Oh!, which is a shame because I find it more enjoyable. (Probably because I actually learned how to play it...)

Yeah same here, tried magic and I just found the whole thing confusing.

Call me an idiot but I like things to be simple.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked