The PC version of Rage is unplayable

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

JediMB:
My GTX460 and I will be eagerly awaiting the game... Monday-ish.

If I have issues with buggy graphics? Eh, no biggie, I'll just put the game aside, finish something else from my backlog, and wait for the patches (or driver updates) to do their job.

This exactly, I have a 460 as well and I haven't really been hearing any graphical issues with nvidia cards. If anything I'm not always that concerned with technical errors. I can play a game with a bad frame rate or something like that, as long as the game doesn't lock up or shut down I'm golden.

I called it. Over a year ago. I fucking called it.
Ladies and gents at 'id', this is what happens when you get in bed with Bethesda. Now excuse me while I go laugh heartily at the failure that is your new game.

They have fun pictures on SPUF.

ravenshrike:
Locks up when I try to enter the sewers

Please tell me that it has nothing to do with the fact that the sewers were supposed to be closed for those who bought the game used......

It would be the icing on the cake if it turned out to be some kind of a bug related to that.

Kopikatsu:
They have fun pictures on SPUF.

Jesus Christ.

So this is why they didn't give review sites/magazines early access to the PC version... it all makes sense now.

lacktheknack:

NinjaDeathSlap:
Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

But it really takes a lot to get them into that state...

Besides, "so detailed"?

He's right, Far Cry EDIT: looked almost as good. This is a very bad thing, as far cry was made in 2004.

Ah, the rosy goggles of nostalgia. Looking at hd gameplay trailers from Far cry 3 it looks pretty damned similar.

Moreover you saw similar texture lag in Doom 3 upon launch, albeit not as much. But then, the environments didn't contain nearly as many varied textures either. Two patches later and a driver update and it was gone.

Hardcore_gamer:

Jesus Christ.

The second one is my favorite.

Polygon man!

AMD Rage Driver:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx

Now stop whining & start killing shit!

Cla-Click B00M!

lacktheknack:

NinjaDeathSlap:
Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

Besides, "so detailed"?

He's right, Far Cry EDIT: looked almost as good. This is a very bad thing, as far cry was made in 2004.

Now who would imagine that Far Cry, a game created in 2004 mainly for Xbox 360 and PS3 would look better than a poor port of a game running with broken drivers created for the same hardware?
Rage is supposed to be terrible using AMD/ATI cards, but from what I've heard using nVidia wont give you any problems (thank god I decided to go for nVidia). It is sad to see that games that have great potential are completely screwed over with terrible ports. However I believe this will be fixed or at least that the drivers will be improved. That's the good part of being a PC gamer.

A game published by Bethesda, the patron saint and one leading the charge of the mentality "This game is a buggy, unpolished, unrefined, unplayable mess? Meh, RELEASE IT ANYWAY, we'll patch it later." releases a game that is a buggy, unpolished, unrefined, unplayable mess?

I am SHOCKED. SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

This is why I'm not that hyped for Skyrim. I'm expecting the same thing.

So ID now join the club of developers doing bad console ports. Wow, never thought I would say that about ID....

Yopaz:

lacktheknack:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Besides, "so detailed"?

Now who would imagine that Far Cry, a game created in 2004 mainly for Xbox 360 and PS3 would look better than a poor port of a game running with broken drivers created for the same hardware?
Rage is supposed to be terrible using AMD/ATI cards, but from what I've heard using nVidia wont give you any problems (thank god I decided to go for nVidia). It is sad to see that games that have great potential are completely screwed over with terrible ports. However I believe this will be fixed or at least that the drivers will be improved. That's the good part of being a PC gamer.

Because seven years later, with a LONG time in optimization (a couple years, methinks). Far Cry was done much quicker than that.

It still begs the question: If ID is as dedicated to quality as they say they are, then why did they not test the game with ATI cards!? It doesn't seem fair that ATI users should have two weeks to play the game properly.

catalyst8:
AMD Rage Driver:

Cla-Click B00M!

Ah, thanks for that. I'm in the UK so my game doesn't unlock for another 2 days, but this should come in handy.

My American friend assures me that his is running flawlessly, I won't panic yet...or ever.

catalyst8:
AMD Rage Driver:

Cla-Click B00M!

First video was taken after the fix was applied. It's in the description. Lack of graphics options in the menu is a clear sign of a console port. That means that id software are the ones who need to come up with a proper fix. No driver will ever fix those issues entirely.

lacktheknack:

Yopaz:

lacktheknack:

Besides, "so detailed"?

Because seven years later, with a LONG time in optimization (a couple years, methinks). Far Cry was done much quicker than that.

It still begs the question: If ID is as dedicated to quality as they say they are, then why did they not test the game with ATI cards!? It doesn't seem fair that ATI users should have two weeks to play the game properly.

No matter how long it takes, outdated hardware wont run any better. Optimization does something, but it's more obvious now than ever than PC optimization is just something that is done in a sloppy way to make sure that the PC version gets released the same day as the console versions.
Also why would you wait 2 weeks for a fix for the drivers?

catalyst8:
AMD Rage Driver:

Cla-Click B00M!

According to this post AMD has already made the fix. Within 24 hours of the release.

This is why I won't be getting any new games (even skipping skyrim) because they're all coming off as cheap plastic and particle board ports.

Rage was a red flag with the way weapons and ammo is chosen, that's the same kind of crap Alpha Protocol used with their hacking minigame. Skyrim is making a list menu just like Oblivion, not factoring that PC users can barely navigate a menu system without a bunch of lag issues. Fallout 3/NV was the same crap, I spent more time scrolling through the menu than actually playing. I'm going to end up scrolling (pun intended) through menus all the time, even with favorites. I know the gameplay will be fun but I've played too many Bethesda games to know that new doesn't always mean I'll like it.

Hardcore_gamer:

ravenshrike:
Locks up when I try to enter the sewers

Please tell me that it has nothing to do with the fact that the sewers were supposed to be closed for those who bought the game used......

It would be the icing on the cake if it turned out to be some kind of a bug related to that.

Might be, dunno. I'll download the posted rage driver and find out. Although generally driver problems don't freeze the game.

Hey, it was the drivers. Cool. Still get some texture load, but then I'm runnin a 4000 series graphics. It's much much less than it was and I imagine as more drivers and patches for the game come out it'll only get better.

Also, apparently I was playing the game at 2/3 speed before. The drivers really improved things.

other then a little texture loading and a freeze now and then its fine for me

In unrelated news, I am playing the Doom WADs that I bought on Steam via ZDoom and it is such fun, even a game almost 20 years old. With mouse look it is so smooth, the enemy variety and progress is to great with such fitting music.

lacktheknack:

Yopaz:

lacktheknack:

Besides, "so detailed"?

Carmack's twitter feed has been quietly insisting on the latest drivers before you even think of playing Rage.

Now it turns out AMD either didn't have the drivers ready or released a bunk version, it may very well the game was tested but tested with closed-beta drivers that AMD hasn't released publicly in a timely manner. Carmack is hardly the most persuasive (intimidating) of characters, I can imagine if he asked AMD to have the drivers ready by release the AMD took that as a request where tardiness was an option.

He's a bit of a perfectionist, and things have clearly not been perfect.

Well, it's a good thing I got the 360 version!
But seriously, Id, that's horrible! With the amount of quality that you always deliver with your games, especially in graphics terms, this is awful. I haven't started the 360 version yet, but from what I've heard, without the aformentioned graphical bugs, it's a nice game.
However, I'm also playing the original Quake again (this time on the Darkplaces source port), and I must say that I never remembered it being so much fun.
Oh, and if you've ever read any of my other posts here, Doom is pretty much one of my favorite games of all time.

Holy... shit... seriously?. And I thought the Unreal Engine 3's infamous texture pop-in was bad.

I even dare to say that Fallout New Vegas was godly compared to this. I guess that Bethesda's motto is "broken and glitchy".

Treblaine:
]
Carmack's twitter feed has been quietly insisting on the latest drivers before you even think of playing Rage.

Now it turns out AMD either didn't have the drivers ready or released a bunk version, it may very well the game was tested but tested with closed-beta drivers that AMD hasn't released publicly in a timely manner. Carmack is hardly the most persuasive (intimidating) of characters, I can imagine if he asked AMD to have the drivers ready by release the AMD took that as a request where tardiness was an option.

JC has actually talked about the wasted potential of GPUs because of drivers which are not properly optimized. In his recent keynote at Quakecon he showed some frustration towards some of the business practices in the industry.

It's a shame, because frustration is being vented towards id, whereas a big part of the problem are the graphics hardware corporations.

Carmack must be slipping, back in ye olden days if nothing else you could be assured anything his studio produced would run like butter and look absolutely mind-blowing. Least you can expect from a studio headed by a perfectionist programmer who spends his spare time doing rocket science!

Well, they did say that 360 was their lead platform. And clearly it shows. No graphic options?! Wow. I expected better from id.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Problem is, this is a clear consequence of designing one's game engine around 512mb of shared memory. Quite literally, of their 20gb or what have you of textures, the console engine only loads a few hundreds of megabytes into active use at once. This is what is responsible for the loading problems you see here, which don't show up if the hardware can stream the textures fast enough...

...Of course, the problem is that the PC memory (esp. graphics memory) vs. hard disk bandwidth is much lower. It takes longer to load those textures, which means that a system designed to stream in needed textures just in time to display simply can't cope on PC.

And the REAL problem is that they've apparently done nothing whatsoever to use the PC's strengths to their advantage. This could be completely solved by loading in all the textures for the 360* viewing angle around the player (or at least 120-180*), as opposed to the 45* or 60* of textures loaded on consoles. The PCs have the memory for it! Heck, some PCs probably can fit the whole texture set for the GAME in their main memory, and most can easily fit four or five times the textures needed to render the viewport in their graphical memory. This is basic system-level optimization. If nothing else, whatever the RAGE devs did to support NVidia cards they should have taken the time to replicate for AMD cards. That they did not, says that they don't care enough to do proper PC testing or implementation.

AMD is working on a hotfix. It uses Open GL and not Direct X. So there were going to be problems. Not only that, but you can change more of the graphic options from the .Config file. Seriously PC gamers learn how to manipulate your advantage.

This is precisely why I wont be buying this game till it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in price on Steam.

Also, if any publisher wonders why they make less money on PC games, it's not necessarily piracy or a smaller audience, it's for shit ports like this.

Still Life:

Treblaine:
]

JC has actually talked about the wasted potential of GPUs because of drivers which are not properly optimized. In his recent keynote at Quakecon he showed some frustration towards some of the business practices in the industry.

It's a shame, because frustration is being vented towards id, whereas a big part of the problem are the graphics hardware corporations.

And THAT is why things will never change, as long as those responsible are not held to account then how can there ever be amends?

Unless the driver control is actually put in the hands of the developers... is that even possible?

Carmack has spoken a lot of what it takes to really let PC achieve the potential it is capable off, that it is down to things like AMD and nvidia agreeing on a standard memory protocol. That each games console has, and could exist for all of the next generation of graphics cards.

One thing I just don't get is NO graphics detail options? Surely, you jest Mr Carmack?

And this is why I buy games when they're on sale and cheap and patched. Although I could forgive New Vegas, with the state Rage was released in... Well, I don't want to be encouraging them with my money by buying it. At all. Doesn't look too great anyway, no big loss.

This kind of crap is why i've declined in my PC gaming purchases in the last couple years. The industry has created a standard of shit on day one because they are using the consumers as late beta testers.

Also... it's like... it's like getting into bed with bethesda gives you some sort of VD.

One word: Bethesda.

Wait a sec... I distinctly remembering this happening in Borderlands. I liked Borderlands. Borderlands loaded the area of the world you were in once you got there and stayed till you left. That's what Borderlands did right. Borderlands was released a couple years ago.

Point being... problem shouldn't exist.

Solution = pretend it dosn't

All they really need to do is remove the pop in, but keep the textures. Then they'll be able to market the game towards minecraft fans!

Didn't have any outstanding bugs with release day buys of FO3 or New Vegas save the standard radscorpions leaving orbit and Boone running off into the sunset because i am stood on rocks. This looks like a genuine shitty port and nothing else. You tell me where any other of Bethesda's titles stopped you mucking around with graphics settings and key bindings? Oh wait. None ever have! Pack your irrational bandwagon hate in and direct it at something worth hating, like 4ed DnD or the good people at iD. And besides. Beth merely produced the game, not made it. Picking up the idiot balls abound, i fucking swear.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked