The PC version of Rage is unplayable

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

After trawling through the internet for console commands and ways to work around the problems, I downloaded the 11.10 beta driver whatyacallit and my game runs without any problems most of the time, with only occasionally some NPC's flickering between their animations and the static star jumping position, but I can live with it).

/shrug. I know on my old PC Fallout 3 did this sort of thing. What I think the problem here is the hidden things people dont see in computer spec sheets.

Yes you can have awesome individual components like an octocore processor, or 2gb of ram on a video card, but none of that really makes that much difference if they have to hit bottlenecks.

People talk about processor speed but never look at the FSB of the Mobo vs the processor. They talk about memory capacity but never mention the latencey or memory speed. They mention a raid configuration but not the RPM speed of the drives, etc. All of which are very crucial factors in the performance of a box.

And all that is before the dozens of software based system tweaks (like .ini file tweaks) you can perform to better optimize performance.

Thats why when I transitioned my hard disk to the new computer and did nothing to change the fallout installation, that problem vanished. Why? Because I moved up from an 800 fsb mobo to a 1600 mobo that my processor could better utilize, and moved from (PC3 8500) rip jaws to PC3 17000 rip jaws. I have yet to see a RAGE demo... but if It were available I would wager that my system would be able to handle that even if the OPs linked video PC might be better than my box, but yanno, I could be wrong, but experience is suggesting otherwise.

Byere:
My gawd... that's worse that New Vegas when it was released...

Nah, EVERYONE ran into some bugs with NV. This is only affecting the AMD users.

chiefohara:
never mind the poor shaggers who actually bought the game....

wow....

And this, THIS, is why I say over and over again (and none of you stupid fucks listen) DO. NOT. PRE-ORDER.

Sorry to be quoting you on my tirade there chiefohara, but I had a point to make :D

bluepotatosack:

Byere:

The texture popping still affects nvidia users. Admittedly that isn't game breaking, but it's annoying never the less.

Wow... Reminds me of Borderlands

bluepotatosack:

Byere:

As far as I know, the textures look horrid for all users. Not just the fact that they pop up, but their awful quality as well. I always thought Fallout 3 had some crappy textures, this is just as bad, if not a little worse.

The only good game Id has released ever since Romero left was Quake III back in 1999, so I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone.
Id without Romero sucks just as much as Romero without Id.

There is ONE good thing about this. All those PC elitists who shun anything that has less than 26 buttons will suffer for not willing to try something else.

Woodsey:

NinjaDeathSlap:
Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/04/raging-about-rage-pc/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/04/rage-pc-players-experiencing-laggy-textures-and-low-framerates/

Its sub-par, end of discussion.

When they don't even bother including proper graphics options, there's an issue; its a sign of laziness, more so than the technical problems.

And its not "sometimes", its every time he turns around in the exact same bloody spot.

The guy who made the video put an update: he did update his AMD Driver and it boosted performance dramatically and severely reduced texture pop-in, however, he has yet to post a video showing it, so take that as you will.

You know what? Imma go buy this for the 360 in a minute, and then say how awesome this game is and that it should be GOTY for all the years.

Just to laugh at people who....

*puts on sunglasses*

RAGE.

This game won't be fixed until they release new textures. The ones they have now, even at maximal quality are butt-ugly.

So...how's the console version?

In case anyone still cares I finally found a ati tweak that makes the game playable if not perfect.

-Set the Catalyst AI part to highest and enable surface format optimization
-Close the CCC.exe and MOM.exe processes in task manager.
-Open profiles.xml with notepad it's located in c:\user\username\appdata\local\ATI. Edit so that you have [Property name="CatalystAI" value="Disable" /] instead of "Enable". (you may have to turn on hidden files and folders to find this location also note you have to make it Disable with a capital D or you might mess things up)
-After you save the file, set it to "Read only".
-Go to your ATI program folder and launch MOM.exe.
-Reboot

Apparently the problem is catalyst ai can't be disabled using normal methods in anything after driver version 11.2 this is pretty much the only way to actually turn it off.
Because of the way the megatextures works the AI winds up trying to process the entire world all at once and it kills the game to the point of it being unplayable for some.
After doing this and applying the patch I was finally able to get the game running.
There is still some minor texture streaming issues, but it's much, much better.

I don't know why everyone is complaining about the texture quality everything looks fine for me... at least now it does.

I wouldn't bother with rage the experience really isn't worth the time I put into the game itself much less dealing with it's non-graphic bugs, though the texture pop in is pretty much inexcusable it's almost as bad as halo 2's.

Akihiko:

bluepotatosack:

Byere:

The texture popping still affects nvidia users. Admittedly that isn't game breaking, but it's annoying never the less.

This is true. But my problems with New Vegas were more along the lines of freezing and occasionally crashing to the desktop, which is a fair bit worse.

The texture lag is there but that's the sort of thing I can easily overlook.

Cowabungaa:

As far as I know, the textures look horrid for all users. Not just the fact that they pop up, but their awful quality as well. I always thought Fallout 3 had some crappy textures, this is just as bad, if not a little worse.

This I just have to disagree with. The Fallout games look nowhere near as good as this does.

Its great on the consoles probably best looking game so far on either. It's quite fun too,hopefully they patch it for the PC soon.

bluepotatosack:
This I just have to disagree with. The Fallout games look nowhere near as good as this does.

I was talking about texture quality only. Rage's textures are quite simply horrid. Whether they're actually meant to be or whether it's just one of the dozen graphical issues Rage has to deal with I don't know, but they look horribly low-res at the moment. I hope it changes, that's for sure.

internetzealot1:
So...how's the console version?

Drop dead gorgeous. By far the best looking game on my 360.

Several higher ups at Id have been quoted as saying they don't see the pc as a proper gaming platform. ...bunch of back stabbers is what they are, they wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for the pc market, and then like so many politicians they just turn their back on you the second they don't need you anymore. Anyhow the fix I posted here seems to have settled the problems for me with an ATI card I can't speak for Nvidia problems.

The texture quality complaints are obviously people still experiencing problems, the texture quality is fine once you get it working right. Definitely among the better looking games I've seen in general. Totally abandoning the pc market has lost Id my business after this one though. Even though I got it working, enjoy it, and do plan on finishing it. It's more about getting the payback for my money, time, and effort now than anything.

At any rate I'm about 7 hours into the game now and after finally figuring out why the game hates ati it runs fine. This kind of thing should have been hashed out in play testing though instead of leaving the people that spent their money on it to figure it out themselves.

Anyhow here's one of them bashing the pc over on ign
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/119/1199237p1.html

On my Radeon 4870, the game runs horribly and looks absolutely baffling. Textures are constantly switching to the point where I don't even know what I'm looking at anymore. Tried custom configs, command lines, got the patch, preview version of newest driver update... nothing.

All my respect for John Carmack: you do not want to know what happened to it.

All you had to do was disable the catalyst ai, I made a post above on how to do that which has gone completely ignored.

..I give up, I'm going back to the protest if I can't get anymore work maybe I can at least get myself thrown in jail where I can eat.

crooked_ferret:

Overreacting much?

He's put an argument forward for multiplat development. That's so controversial; It's not like Valve and a certain Polish developer have the same mentality.

Still Life:

crooked_ferret:

Overreacting much?

He's put an argument forward for multiplat development. That's so controversial; It's not like Valve and a certain Polish developer have the same mentality.

No he's saying the pc is a nonentity. Not that he just thinks they should develop across platforms.
Cross plaforming, I have no problem with at all.
It's the primary reason I supported crysis 2 even though I was disappointed with the game itself.

So how's the patch working for everyone? It definitely helped alleviate the texture lag on my end.

Wintermute_:

Sorry to all you PC gamers out there, truly, but don't rip on the entire game just because the PC port is visual and technical shit. It was made for consoles, and thats were the market is.

Last I looked, the title of this thread was 'PC version of Rage is unplayable'. No one's dragging in the console version.

Also, what kind of retarded logic is the the second bit? Consumers shouldn't have to give a fuck about where the market is - when they buy a game at full price, they expect it to fucking work.

OT: Even after all the texture streaming issues fixed, the texture quality is pretty sub-par. 'Was expecting something a bit more from Carmack's tech demo. They should have just made the texture memory cache larger for the PC version and done away with the streaming bit - getting 60FPS wouldn't have been an issue.

Between the patch and the fix I posted above, I finally got it running smoothly there were still some minor texture steam issues here and there but they were barely noticeable anymore.
..of course that fix will only work for ati cards.

Having finished the game now, it still feels unfinished, I predict massive dlc being released for it, no doubt at additional charge.
The game itself really isn't that bad and can take between 7 and nearly 18 hours to complete depending on how many side missions and races you decide to take on.

Even so, I don't really feel like I want to replay it having finished it, so I would rate it average at best even when you finally get it to work right. I just don't really feel any replay for it. It could have benefited from a multiple ending/ karma system of some sort (i.e. the bioshock/mass effect games). It would have given me a lot more incentive to give it another play through later on.

sorry accidental double post.

Raiyan 1.0:

Wintermute_:

Sorry to all you PC gamers out there, truly, but don't rip on the entire game just because the PC port is visual and technical shit. It was made for consoles, and thats were the market is.

Last I looked, the title of this thread was 'PC version of Rage is unplayable'. No one's dragging in the console version.

Also, what kind of retarded logic is the the second bit? Consumers shouldn't have to give a fuck about where the market is - when they buy a game at full price, they expect it to fucking work.

Yeah, that was my point. if you read the comments above mine on that page, most people were declaring in their comments the entire game to be a total POS rather than calling out the VERY poor job the developers put into the PC version specifically.
and the second bit was just a comment unto why that probably was the case. Developers most likely poured all their effort into the console title, and then half-assed the PC version because its not perceived as where the optimum target demographic is.

All the same, its utterly inexcusable and those PC play should certainly be compensated for having to pay $60 (an outrageous price to begin with, as far as I'm concerned) for a half-assed job. just wanted to say, no need to rip on the actual game because one version had hardcore technical issues. thats all. i have otherwise heard really good things about it.

Wintermute_:

Raiyan 1.0:

Wintermute_:

Yeah, that was my point. if you read the comments above mine on that page, most people were declaring in their comments the entire game to be a total POS rather than calling out the VERY poor job the developers put into the PC version specifically.
and the second bit was just a comment unto why that probably was the case. Developers most likely poured all their effort into the console title, and then half-assed the PC version because its not perceived as where the optimum target demographic is.

All the same, its utterly inexcusable and those PC play should certainly be compensated for having to pay $60 (an outrageous price to begin with, as far as I'm concerned) for a half-assed job. just wanted to say, no need to rip on the actual game because one version had hardcore technical issues. thats all. i have otherwise heard really good things about it.

My problem here is pretty simple. PC made ID they wouldn't exist without pc games, and now they are just acting like it doesn't matter because it's a problem for them. I've bought pretty much every game they've released since the original doom. I've come to expect this kind of thing though after ubisoft started making drm so oppressive I actually had to play a pirated copy of a game I paid for.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked