The Call of Duty issue

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hello to all.

I understand this issue may have appeared before, but I am indeed curious.

I have been a gamer since the 80's. I started with the ZX Spectrum, then the NES, Genesis, PC and so on and so forth.

Gaming has always been my main hobby. I have hundreds of games for several different platforms. I play everything (except JRPG's and sports games) and enjoy it. From Okami to Turning Point, from Uncharted to Command & Conquer.

So can someone explain to me why the minute I say I like Call of Duty, a vast portion of the community acts as if I'm somehow a pariah? How I should turn in my gaming club membership card?

Yes, I do like those games, and they are good games! They're fun, they're exciting, and as shooters, they get the job done. I don't play the multiplayer, but I do enjoy the campaigns, and yes, I do buy them when they come out. And enjoy them.

So I am asking, out of genuine curiosity, why this immensely negative outlook on Call of Duty and the people who play those games.

Because some people just don't like it and don't understand how other people could.

Forlong:
Because some people just don't like it and don't understand how other people could.

I understand that. But I think it goes beyond that. Some people are driven to systematicaly point out that they hate the games and the people who play them, whenever the topic or opportunity arises. It goes beyond simple dislike, I believe, it's an outright phenomenon.

Because it's popular.

NO, WAIT! COME BACK!

I don't mean that in the usual way of, "Ohh, people who don't like that popular thing I like just say that because they think it makes them look cool. Dirty hipsters!"

I mean that people who don't like a popular thing are simply more likely to say so. In addition, a popular thing is more widely played, so the gross number of "haters" will be higher.

Or, to put it another way, how often do you see someone declare their hatred for Alice: Madness Returns?

Oh, and a lot of other people hate the influence, or at least perceived influence, that it's had on the gaming landscape.

Personally I wish people would give the hate a rest. I don't care for the games, but it's just getting really fucking boring to listen to.

Well, I for one despise CoD and the things it set in motion in the FPS genre. When I look at the most awarded games from my favorite genre it saddens me that terms like "fast-paced" are used to describe this incerdibly slow gameplay, this boring mechanics (full regen. hp, two weapon limits, the speed you move). I could go on and rant wide and bride about how I dislike this game.

But on the other hand, I won't judge someone just based on the games he played. Enjoying games I don't like doesn't make all the things you say suddenly bad, enjoying CoD (and not ONLY CoD) can't make your contribution to a discussion less worthy.

The problem is more that many people can't accept the fact that there are people who like Bay-esque spectacle. That there are people with different tastes.

I hate it because it shows everyone they can get away with creating a generic modern FPS game, re-release it each year and make a trillion dollars out of it. It doesn't promote innovation or creativity. People love it even though every single game is the same with a half assed campaign tacked on. If they just ditched singleplayer and made an mmo like they should it wouldn't be such a big deal.

and no, I don't dislike it just because it's popular.

I've only played the single player campaigns, from first one up to Modern Warfare 2. They were very enjoyable and some of them I ended up playing through more than once.

It's popular. Kind of how countless people are giving great free marketing for Justin Bieber and Twilight franchises, by hating them openly and making them a part of their everyday vocabulary, somehow being unable to completely ignore it, which is IMO the best thing to do. Call of Duty might be the gaming equivalent. You know, those things (these kids) think that is cool to hate.

Other reasons might include: Activision is evil. CoD franchise is an overpriced cashcow. It's not innovative, doing pretty much the same thing not bringing anything or improving on anything on the table. Their demographics include young people (that's often a good way to get to that cool-to-hate list).

I say it for the third time because I don't know a better way to sum this up: It's cool to hate, a bit like some pop artists.

for me, its mainly 2 things. 1, that cause of it many games these days (home front, battlefield, flashpoint red river, im shut i could thing of others if i put the time into it) are just clones of cod and while theirs plenty of games to play instead, its just bringing the industry down a bit. and 2, the sad, sad majority of its community (READ NOT EVERYONE) is so dedicated to the game that there even more passionate for it than anyone is against it (also it seams that it and its clones attract all the young, obnoxious gamers). you however seam like you play it for fun and even though treat it like its gold, you don't treat all other games like there shit in comparison.

As many have said before it is very popular and there will almost always be a push back when things reach that level of popularity. The CoD series is recieving the exact same type of hate as Halo did.

Another problem is that a loud portion of the community consists of the high school/college d-bag demographic that likes to spout out nonsense about how their particular game is the best and any alternatives that are suggested are for "fags." So despite the quality of the game that is being produced people will not be impressed by it after the loud portion just keeps going on about it.

I have my own set of problems with the series, mostly to do with the fact they abandoned any authenticity they had and went for pure transformers level bullshit over any actual evolution. Co 4 isn't what I would call realistiic but it is at least way more grounded than any of its sequels have been. In that sense I felt that MoH was in many ways more of a sequel to CoD4 in terms of being more grounded. It wasn't a great game by any stretch of the imagination but a lot of what they did felt more like it built off of CoD 4 rather than the actual Cod games which basically took the bas built on CoD 4 and threw in more bullshit.

That said I don't hate the series, people just need to learn to let things go.

TheSapphireKnight:
As many have said before it is very popular and there will almost always be a push back when things reach that level of popularity. The CoD series is recieving the exact same type of hate as Halo did.

funny thing is, that i just realized that COD is the best thing that happened to the online gaming industry. NO! don't leave hear me out! take halo as an example. before cod got as popular as it is now, halo was the equivalent. clones of it every ware, a rabid and annoying fan base for the most part, ect. BUT, all those things stopped when halo lost that obnoxious audience to COD. the ones who were left rejoiced, and bungi, instead of appealing to a crowd that would buy the game regardless of weather it was a copy or not had to actually make the strive to make a big step up for each one, which i think they did quite well. and don't think that was an one time incident. any other game that had a fan base like that pretty much lost it and the ones who stayed had a clean, fun, if a bit more empty community to play with.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT MW3!!!!!!!!! My copy didn't work... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!! NOW I'LL NEVER KNOW HOW IT ALL ENDS!!!!!! FYI people, my copy was bought off of amazon, brand new. Also, my PS3 is prone to several malfunctions and faults. Whenever I put the game into my PS3, I am told "Had trouble completing the registration for the trophy information. this game will quit". Also, if I ever make it past that and I start up the campaign, A cutscene plays but the level itself won't load. Thank you, PS3, for not letting me play one of the biggest games of the year. "continues crying"

I think the disdain for CoD has been blown way out of preportion is because of it's very wide fanbase, and being critical darlings despite the very sizeable flaws in the games.

Now I'm not the CoD fan I was a few years ago, I'm not fond of the multiplayer, and I think the single player has been stunted and quickly growing stale for the past couple of games, but to say the games flatout suck is pretty ignorant, and some of the arguments against it are ridiculous.
I saw this guy arguing that because the engine is based on the Quake 3(?) engine it wasn't worth playing. That guy was almost certainly trolling, but it shows what you're dealing with. Trolls, and people looking for something to hate.

I don't hate it per say, I just really don't like it. Now that is just my view of it which includes reasons like that it is repetitive, boring to look at, you have a limit to what you can put on your gun, it is repetitive, It pushes ver few new boundaries, and it is repetitive. BUT it is also fun to play when you get used to it, and is a game that is a blast to play with friends. I don't play it because I don't want to, but I don't try to get anyone who does exiled.

In short, yes it is a fun game, yea it can be one of the best game franchises in recent history, ey it did set many long standing trends in gaming. But I just don't like it.

I get exactly the same reaction when I say I dont like Half Life 2. Its all down to personal taste, so play whatever the fuck you want.

I don't HATE it. I think it's fairly enjoyable...spec-ops and survival mode especially (hint...offline modes).

I just think multiplayer stinks, and the fact that COD is the highest selling franchise in gaming this generation and probably ever soon enough is a bad indicator. It shows that games shouldn't have to stand out to sell and there are a few 'COD-clones' out there that would've been a lot better if they went there own way (Homefront...why).

DON'T LIKE WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!

That's basically the gist of it. I will also admit to liking the CoD series, except a few iterations. There are many haters out there probably because many people play it, so more haters. The companies involved also have bad reputations and with the current indie trend this means more hostility to the big bad corporations. I just think people should respect other peoples likes and dislikes regardless. Debate and argue sure, but without being mean.

Stormz:
I hate it because it shows everyone they can get away with creating a generic modern FPS game, re-release it each year and make a trillion dollars out of it. It doesn't promote innovation or creativity. People love it even though every single game is the same with a half assed campaign tacked on.

This right here, I think when it comes down to it THIS is why the people who dislike it actually dislike it. It is certainly why I dislike it, it's also probably the reason people are vocal about their dislike because if this model gets adopted by others than we start to lose actual creative games and the problem grows instead of staying static.

Guitar Hero. Also, Madden.

I personally don't like the CoD games that much, but I don't judge those who play them. What worries me is the release pattern. It irritates me that one is released a year with, to my eyes at least, no significant changes to the game itself. Some new settings, some new skins, a couple of guns fiddled with, but that's what I hear it boils down to.

I'm worried that if this continues, shooters will go the way of sports and rhythm games: once viable genres before the market drowned in cheap clones pumped out year after year. I would view CoD with much less dislike if they just paced themselves and put some effort into real innovation between games.

So yeah. I really don't like the games themselves; maybe I even hate them. But I try not to let that translate into hating those who play them. Unless it's the guys who scream n******fag and ragequit when the match isn't going their way.

Zhukov:
Because it's popular.

NO, WAIT! COME BACK!

I don't mean that in the usual way of, "Ohh, people who don't like that popular thing I like just say that because they think it makes them look cool. Dirty hipsters!"

I mean that people who don't like a popular thing are simply more likely to say so. In addition, a popular thing is more widely played, so the gross number of "haters" will be higher.

Or, to put it another way, how often do you see someone declare their hatred for Alice: Madness Returns?

Oh, and a lot of other people hate the influence, or at least perceived influence, that it's had on the gaming landscape.

Somehow I think those comments are aimed at me.

I give my hatred of call of Duty a very similar expression as my hatred for the iApple products. Initially, they were very good, very innovative, very ... community binding and fair as a product; and in some aspects they are still that to this day. But it's early success gives the impression of warping the founding companies into something I hate.

The next thing you know the products keep getting little things added to them, but are treated as a whole new product; and like sheep, their consumers follow blindly with cash-in-hand - but you get that with all products, just not on such a large scale.

Most of all, some of these newer variants of the product are actually working unlike how they should be, off the shelf. See: iPhone 4 signal leak. iPhone 4S battery drain. Call of Duty's warped idea of "balanced" multiplayer (videos ALL over the internet offering insights/solutions). "new" perks are actually re-jingled old perks(just compare the damn perk lists between MW1, 2 & 3) Etc. Etc.

------
So, they're cash cow products at what I would say are overinflated prices that've degraded in functionality right off the shelf over recent adaptations whilst still claiming to be "new" and yet only adding a few new features each time (which I suppose qualifies in some unfortunate world [ours]); and are still selling well at extortionate prices with a hardcore following who ignore any flaws and critisism.

So thats my opinion as to why I hate the game right off the mark, though I also personally think the multiplayer is one of the worst balanced MP of any recent game and its lack-luster story and "walk forward and shoot" SP just doesn't entertain me in the slightest any more (WaW, MW2, MW3 - BO, you're off the hook for an actually good story). I've done this "classic FPS" run a gajillion times already, I don't want to get any more brain dead! Give me something intuitive to do!
------

Now, it is completely fine to enjoy CoD. I'll admit I used to but can't stand it any more. But many people do still find it fun. But the moment you start praising it as a game / series for it's most recent accomplishments, I will tare you a new one.

Oh, and C&C is a very, very good game series pre-4.

Iwata:
Hello to all.

I have been a gamer since the 80's. I started with the ZX Spectrum, then the NES, Genesis, PC and so on and so forth.

Gaming has always been my main hobby. I have hundreds of games for several different platforms. I play everything (except JRPG's and sports games) and enjoy it. From Okami to Turning Point, from Uncharted to Command & Conquer.

So can someone explain to me why the minute I say I like Call of Duty, a vast portion of the community acts as if I'm somehow a pariah? How I should turn in my gaming club membership card?

Yes, I do like those games, and they are good games! They're fun, they're exciting, and as shooters, they get the job done. I don't play the multiplayer, but I do enjoy the campaigns, and yes, I do buy them when they come out. And enjoy them.

So I am asking, out of genuine curiosity, why this immensely negative outlook on Call of Duty and the people who play those games.

i dont know about anyone else, but i do know it is not because its popular, thats what people badly defend it it with when they cant argue for it.

but my personal reason follows this:

I loved finest hour and big red one
I -LIKED- call of duty 4 and World at War.

But i noticed the multiplayer for WAW was copy and paste...but thats ok, i understand they only have a year to pump that out after the other game...

HOW EVER: even with 2 years behind each game, massive amounts of money and people, the games are as Listed:
Cut and paste from the previous game
Lack good music (remember finest hour's music?...epic)
the color scheme is pitiful, yes, im serious, there is no contrast between colors and it becomes sickening, no place on earth is set with a color scheme like that, especially with a human population. Even if it really is just layers of brown, they still should have light and value differences.
Characters are wooden and unlikable, remember when Vic got killed in Big Red One? that was purely tragic! we got to know everyone in that squad, Sarge, Vic, Brooklyn, ect. Even finest hour gave you a sense of motivation and character. Now its what ever military cliche` seems cool.
Gameplay doesn't make sense, I know halo 2 and 3 had regen health...but then again...it makes sense in that universe with that technology, and even then the last 2 games had health packs added back. The two weapons deal is getting old, the AI is the worst ive seen in a major mainstream title just barely smarter than mindjack's. In fact the only reason they dont run into walls is because the enemy has preset patterns. Halo's enemy AI is the best in any game ive seen, they duck, jump flank, adapt to danger and act alive! they even wonder off and procrastinate in non combat situations.
Terrible multiplayer, besides the fan base, the multiplayer is damn dull and feels un-involving because one guy can die 50 time and kill 2 people while another will kill 75 and die twice because he dual wielded and ran around randomly. and it's not skill, its just what happens. not to mention bad coding, badly naming guns and putting them in the wrong category (see m14a1/m14 carbine and AK-74U respectively), bad spawns, boring cut and paste maps that are cramped and need to be bigger.
TERRIBLE STORY- i play games knowing that it is another medium of story telling and art, so i expect and fucking good story that doesnt rip off set pieces from movies like the rock for 60 god damn dollars!
Zero innovation, yes the game has brought nothing new to gameing. None, infact, all it has done was rip ideas from its biggest competition (halo and Battlefield. the ladder of which did modern combat back in 2004-5 with better results). Story sucks, gameplay is shit, multiplayer is the same as previous titles, and it will be obsolete withing a year.

I want Activision to lose the rights to COD, go back to WW2, and give us some good characters and a good story! Not faceless assholes with 'shocking' scenes that they use to promote the game when everybody just rolls their eyes. Even purist who rally against games dont bother with COD anymore, its just cute to see this 7 year old use bad words infront of it's friends to look tough.

Well since I played all the CoD's back to when the series was good (WW2) I would simply ask what game you were talking about. I loved everything up to MW. I know there is a lot of people who complained about the recurring world war two theme but at least the story was there. It might of been corny but that's what I grew up with and damn't I loved it.

hobohazard:

TheSapphireKnight:

funny thing is, that i just realized that COD is the best thing that happened to the online gaming industry. NO! don't leave hear me out! take halo as an example. before cod got as popular as it is now, halo was the equivalent. clones of it every ware, a rabid and annoying fan base for the most part, ect. BUT, all those things stopped when halo lost that obnoxious audience to COD. the ones who were left rejoiced, and bungi, instead of appealing to a crowd that would buy the game regardless of weather it was a copy or not had to actually make the strive to make a big step up for each one, which i think they did quite well. and don't think that was an one time incident. any other game that had a fan base like that pretty much lost it and the ones who stayed had a clean, fun, if a bit more empty community to play with.

But halo 2 was out in 2004 when the first COD game hit consoles, COD didnt even have the 'big hit multiplayer' till number 4 when halo 3 was done, and bungie starts working on games right after the previous one is launched. while yes, maby the competition is what drove Bungie to make the awesomeness that they are today, it really doesn't seem so much so when you realize COD is just copying halo and Battlefield....and really, COD is the most behind game of the 3.

I don't dislike the games themselves. While I do think they're pretty tired (as are alot of series) I recognize that people like them.

What I don't like, however, is how they seem to influence every other type of game. All shooters seem to need competitive multiplayer, and other games that don't need them are getting action elements.
In addition, I don't like how a new one is released every year. It seems as though they have a safe formula that they can continue to use with little innovation. What is that showing other developers? That to make money you need to find something that works and run with it as long as possible?

Iwata:
Hello to all.

Some if it is because it is cool to hate on popular things. Some of it is the community. Every CoD MP match I was in had one or more people talking trash and mainly being a troll.

I understand not everyone acts like that and the same things happens in Halo and most FPS games as well. Which is why I quit playing MP games unless it is with friends only and on the PC since I sold my x-box 360.

Some people like me dislike the franchise. I used to like it but after the all the plot holes in Black Ops and CoD: MW 2 I quit liking the franchise. I don't hate or dislike people that like CoD. Everyone has their own opinion on what they like or dislike.

TheKasp:
Well, I for one despise CoD and the things it set in motion in the FPS genre. When I look at the most awarded games from my favorite genre it saddens me that terms like "fast-paced" are used to describe this incerdibly slow gameplay, this boring mechanics (full regen. hp, two weapon limits, the speed you move). I could go on and rant wide and bride about how I dislike this game.

But on the other hand, I won't judge someone just based on the games he played. Enjoying games I don't like doesn't make all the things you say suddenly bad, enjoying CoD (and not ONLY CoD) can't make your contribution to a discussion less worthy.

The problem is more that many people can't accept the fact that there are people who like Bay-esque spectacle. That there are people with different tastes.

I got to ask, what is fast-paced then?

OT: People despise it because... their favorite game isn't the one that is the most popular! With such a large fanbase, the amount of haters will arise, and they are mostly pissed off that generic COD is more popular than their favorite game.

I see a lot of people who seem to make arguments based around stylistic choices made in the game. I can understand why someone would personally hate it for those, but I don't see why they think it makes it shit. I often try out games and discover I don't like them, but I at least try to appreciate why someone who likes games with those features would.

But at the end of the day I don't feel the need to defend it, I enjoy it and know plenty of people do. At least enough to get a decent online match going. If you've tried it and don't like it, fair to you. If you've not tried it and don't like it, then there's nothing I can say to convince you.

I hate most FPS games where you have to trudge through brown environments, filled with chest high walls just so you can shoot the same guy in the face fo the 50 millionth time that day. I like games with colourful environments, with weapons that do something other than shooting bullets out of them, I want to fight 50 foot giant coloured lizards that breathes fairy floss on you. Also I like games that atleast have a story that makes sense.

But the main reason why I hate the call of duty series is that it pretty much has the motto "The littler the innovation, the more money you will get". I think thats pretty much the same motto for Fifa, Madden and Apple Products.

Stormz:
I hate it because it shows everyone they can get away with creating a generic modern FPS game, re-release it each year and make a trillion dollars out of it. It doesn't promote innovation or creativity. People love it even though every single game is the same with a half assed campaign tacked on. If they just ditched singleplayer and made an mmo like they should it wouldn't be such a big deal.

and no, I don't dislike it just because it's popular.

What? The Elder Scrolls and Battlefield series are the same deal, oh sure they update the graphics but none of that is innovative or creative, none of their so-called "new" idea's are new at all and have been done in games before. And yet these games get so much praise and none of the hate. In fact in the last year of gaming all the games that brought forth new idea's flopped while the ones which just recycle old idea's and redo them over and over again profited tremendously.

Jegsimmons:
it really doesn't seem so much so when you realize COD is just copying halo and Battlefield....and really, COD is the most behind game of the 3.

Erm, Battlefield was originally just a war shooter Star Wars battlefront style, just battles and next to no story, when CoD got popular they made Bad Company which was the first game in the series to have a story with actual characters, so it's actually the other way around. Even then people tend to forget the original war shooter was Medal Of Honor, of course that game ripped off real life so the entire war shooter thing is unoriginal to begin with.

Well I have several reasons.

It over-rewards players:
There is nothing wrong with rewarding a player for doing something correctly, but when you reward them for everything they do then theres a problem. You shouldn't give Mega-Man a power up for jumping over a gap and you shouldn't give Duke Nukem ammunition for exploring one room that you need to progress through.

Prides self on Realism, but guns are the furthest from:
Realism is something that it fucked up so badly that I want to cry. You can't duel wield scorpion SMG's and have no recoil. Its a bit ridiculous but I mostly blame this on the fans, who claim it to be "highly realistic" when it couldn't be further from it.

On the PC, CRTL+ALT+DELETE does not work.
This is true for Modern Warfare 3. If your game crashes you have to manually restart your computer to get anywhere, since it will not take you out to the desktop or to the menu where you can select what you wish to do with Taskmanager. It just boots you back into the game.

Locked FOV on PC:
Some people actually have headaches when playing on Certain FoV's under a certain number. I myself have no such issue, but there are tons of people with this issue. If your game gives people headaches, there is something wrong with your game.

Comes out so often that it could be the Madden of FPS:
Just go look at how many came out in the past five years and the dates that they did.

There are plenty of more problems I could tackle, but Call of Duty does have some glaring issues and almost all of those seem to seek into every other FPS. Lets face it, Duke Nukem Forever took a few notes from Call of Duty and payed the price for it.

I used to love Call of Duty but as of recent its problems have been so large and glaring that I hate that its the cash cow it is. Its almost impossible to pitch a FPS [I'm almost sure of it] without the board which your pitching the game to say "Would it sell as well as Call of Duty" and if you say "No its nothing like" they might say "Well then make it like Call of Duty".

Zhukov:
Because it's popular.

NO, WAIT! COME BACK!

A lot like this.

If someone finds a game to be average, and they see how immensely popular it is, I think it sort of fucks with their head and makes them hate, like they said, for it being popular

Over-exposure and hype-backlash.
I dislike the game because it represents wasted potential to me (and infinite potential to its backers, but that's not the kind of potential I care about), and it's difficult to not sigh at yourself occasionally when you don't enjoy something that is overwhelmingly popular.

And there's a personal thorn in my side in the form of two cousins who do *nothing* but compare what they find me playing to CoD4.x. Nothing compares in their eyes, and I honestly would not give a fuck if they could just stop blindly praising the game like it's a digital messiah.
Worse, that's the kind of attitude I encounter among people of my own age group in college. Either that or the hater variety, take your pick.
(I actually walked into my 2nd to last physics lab last semester, and heard two guys and a chick arguing over CoD4.x, I kid you not, solely on the merits of it being derivative of its own work. Yeah. people talk about this shit in real life. Be afraid.)

That's the kind of attitude that starts out grating, and eventually becomes every bit as despicable as the haters. (and I've found myself surrounded people acting in a similar way for Skyrim, to the point where you could make very sound comparisons to religion and zealotry for both the hyped-up fans and the haters).

I have no problem with someone saying that they like something (well, barring it being a flagrantly criminal or ethically questionable act, but that's being pedantic), but I do get tired of people hyping something beyond sensibility.

its got a less then stellar rep over all,
with the frequent releases that change little, yet you still get charged full price for. how that seems to be the only demographic publishers are pandering to, which, btw, makes if hard for some one like me to find what i like. and the community .... yeah .... pretty sure you know what I'm talking about, unless they've done some major house cleaning and no ones caught on to that yet ...

I just hate how bullets disappear when u die meaning the whole clip u just shot into someone is rendered void because u died. Its just rage and how everyone puts so much on K/D per game even if its a game liek domination or any objective based games

Because people think that it's causing a lack of innovation in gaming, a guess those people conveniently forget about Skyrim, Arkham City, Human Revolution, Space Marine and Mass Effect 3. I guess the majority of gamers are insecure.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked