is switching from console to pc worth it?
yes
74.7% (316)
74.7% (316)
no
14.7% (62)
14.7% (62)
no opinion
9.5% (40)
9.5% (40)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: is switching from console to pc worth it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

A long time ago I used to be against the PC because you had to upgrade it every 2 years to stay on top with the latest games. The gaming market has changed drastically and now it costs less than $900 to get a top of the line computer that can play games on max settings for 4+ years. In addition virtually every console game is now released on PC and most PC games are compatible with an Xbox Wired controller. Also PC games tend to be 10 bucks cheaper than their console counterparts. Basically in my opinion the Xbox 360 became obsolete when I noticed that I could play any Xbox game on PC and still get the console experience using my controller.

If you want to get a console, I would only recommend the PS3 as it does have exclusive titles you can't find on the PC such as Dark Souls and the Last Guardian if that ever comes.

Wait a minute, OP. Why do you have to switch anything? If you like your 360 and its games, keep enjoying it. If there are pc games that you also want to play, save up and invest in a decent pre-built or, better yet, get online and get some help building your own desktop.

I've got a laptop for work, but it handles a fair bit of gaming as well, including The Witcher 2. I love it, but I also love my PS3 and games like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, ICO/SotC, the God of War series, etc. Gaming is great. Why limit yourself to a single platform if you don't have to?

TestECull:

Jesse Billingsley:
If you have enough money and knowledge to build your own super computer, or to at least buy a descent Gaming computer, then yes it probably is worth it.

Reason I prefer consoles over PC is that Consoles are cheap, $300 for an Xbox is better than forking over $2 grand for a PC that you are never going to use except to game with.

If you think you need a $2,000 PC to game with you're doing it WAY wrong. You can build a gaming PC that will run anything out there at 1920x1080 for just $750. A PC that will run most everything out there at 1680x1050 only runs you about $500. The rig I use, which runs most games at 1600x1200 somehow, only cost me $300 to build.

Oh, and there's no knowledge required. Building a PC is, quite literally, Tab A into Slot B, Plug C into Socket D, stick windows disc in, watch Top Gear for two hours, and done.

Intriguing... Thank you for the correction. However I will stick with the Console until a few amazingly awesome games come and requires me to buy a PC (Like Mechwarrior Online for instance)

Orcus The Ultimate:
MODS is all that i can think of, oh and you can change your PC's Specifications (instead of buying each console it comes out).

Agreed! Especially modding is now so easy to work/install with for eg. steam workshop. hope we see more gmae using it or similar.
and eventually Black mesa: Source, seeing as we're talking about mods/PCs...

As much as id like to say it's worth it (since im a pc gamer), well it was back when i made the change but now with all the DRM hassles (im looking at you, ubisoft) and the fact that the majority of games for pc are now just lazy ports, so no it's no longer worth it other than for the mods and the better graphics (which unless you have a really good computer, you wont notice).

With my next pc i plan to stick a 360 or something in it as well so i get the best of both worlds.

IMO consider the following:

1) Do you need a PC anyways? If you do, you may as well make it a gaming PC for a bit more money.

2) I wouldn't give up entirely on consoles. I own all 3 current gen consoles and a gaming PC. I play mostly on my PC but there's always exclusives.

3) Depending on the layout of your room, it's trivial to hook up a PC to an HDTV. Nearly every modern graphics card has an HDMI out on it (and most have several outputs). Considering this, it's feasable to have one monitor on your desk and another HDTV hooked up at the same time and you could easily switch between the two. You can also use controllers on the PC.

4) PC games are just cheaper. For reference, when I see a game on Steam for $20 USD I think "Man, that's expensive!"

5) PC Is going digital, and it's going there fast. If the thought of using mainly digital distribution to aquire games scares you, PC just might not be your platform.

6) Better graphics, framerate and mods. This speaks for itself.

7) RTS games are awesome. So are MOBA style games (IMO anyawys). You're basically only playing these on the PC. If stretegy is your thing, then a PC is probably awhere you want to be.

8) A PC is a Computer. This is different from graphical power, or the power to mod. This is something, I feel a lot of console only people don't think about. It's something even a lot of PC gamers don't think about because it's natural. The PC is a computer.

It does everything a computer can do. What does this mean for gaming? Well it means a lot. Say you're stuck on a part in a game or you want to look up some Shogun strategies. Just ALT+TAB and open up your web browser and bam; there you go. Is the in game music pissing you off? Just turn the music off and play your own. Don't like the default keys? Change them.

Have you ever been playing a console and something really cool happened? On the PC you have the power to just take a screenshot and show everyone. Or, if you're evem more hardcore, you can record it via bandicam or fraps or free alternatives.

Tired of the shitty bitrate of xbox live? No problem, on the PC you have TONS of free and high quality audio communication programs (teamspeak for instance). Tired of using an onscreen keyboard to message your PSN friends? No problem, you can type at 100wpm on a PC because there's a keyboard sitting right there; plus you're not teathred to whatever system the game uses. Prefer google talk to steam? No problem. Want to use XFIRE instead? Sure thing. You have choice.

9) Finally, free games that don't suck. Sersiouly, Dwarf Fortress, Katawa Shoujo, Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, League of Legends and Tribes: Ascend. These are all 100% free games. The latter two have paid cosmetic options (they DON'T sell power). I'm pretty sure the only free game I played on XBLA was that shitty burger king game they made. The thing is, not only do the games I listed not suck they're actually pretty damn good.

BlueMage:

Kitsuna10060:

Zeel:
Yes. Console gamers are special ed kids. Come to PC, you'll get smarter.

right, and PC gamers are elitist snobs :p generalization is fun isn't it

No, this is actually true, we are.

The difference is, we have a reason to be :)

orlry ....

i jumped the console ship months ago and i still don't feel the need to talk down to the console gamers :p

Ok well I like to make this point right so that Xbox 360 you have cost 250 and you probably have a home pc for work or school which might have cost about 300-400 for this example ill use 400 right so that's already 650 if you add the price of a ps3 too it goes up. For the price you can but a very good gaming pc which plays games (very well) and can also be used for work/school. Gaming pcs are not and expensive as people make them out to be. They only become expensive when you want the cool flash one with pretty lights and what not. (Also its best to buy a custom one as you get more for your money)

I'm not sure, but I think I'll be switching to PC when my Xbox 360 konks out for good or the Xbox 720 meaning that the 360 loses support. We'll see though.

The main factor for me is the future - old xbox games are losing support, but old computer titles can still be played. I just bought and played a game from the last century that works fine on my computer, but old school console games are degrading.

Jesse Billingsley:

Intriguing... Thank you for the correction. However I will stick with the Console until a few amazingly awesome games come and requires me to buy a PC (Like Mechwarrior Online for instance)

If you want to play Fallout or TES without having it bug out the ass you want a PC to play it on. The modding community fix SOOOOOO many bugs with them.

Kitsuna10060:

BlueMage:

Kitsuna10060:

right, and PC gamers are elitist snobs :p generalization is fun isn't it

orlry ....

i jumped the console ship months ago and i still don't feel the need to talk down to the console gamers :p

Months? Bitch, years. True snobbery isn't something you acquire in mere months.

You're young in our ways, you'll learn ;)

I made the switch to PC gaming a couple of years back. I played some PC games before that but that was on Intel IGPs and usually free to play games like Enemy Territory.

Now that I paid €600 to build a gaming PC that runs most games at 60 fps at 1920x1080 I find it difficult to go back. It's mainly the framerate that did it for me. Originally I was part of the "30 fps is enough" crowd but now that I'm used to 60 fps, I find it difficult to play games at 30 fps.

This doesn't mean I'm completely abandoning console gaming. My first console was a Super Nintendo and I own at least one console of each generation that came after.

xSKULLY:
okay its quite simple i was wondering if the problems of having a PC were really worth the upgrade from PC to console, the PC being much more expensive, requiring a much bigger time and effort commitment, and will almost certainly break down on you at some point is a big enough upgrade to merit switching from lying on my bed playing my xbox 360 (the super elite that wont red ring and which only cost 250 and came with 2 controllers and 4 games) on a massive HD tv?

I have both a 360 and gaming PC and 99% of my time is on the PC. Admittedly I'm not into the Xbox Live party Call of Duty BF3 thing which I'm under the impression seems to make up the lion's share of today's gamers.

Gaming on PC has pros and cons.
Cons first:
- Less social (if you can call console gaming social, on account of it being in your living room).
- More expensive hardware
- Some games have outright draconian DRM
- While uncommon, PC gamers may have a driver/incompatibility issue on a given game.
- No split-screen/co-op gaming physically on the same machine

The pros however, vastly outweight the above:
- Access to your file system to modify/tweak games, backup saves, etc.
- Superlative graphics, processing power, load times etc.
- RTSs, MMOs and other titles which need the keyboard (speaking of which...)
- Keyboard and mouse...nuff said.
- Can install untold games to HDD for fast access
- Multiple people can easily share games/saves on one PC, no profile bollocks (I detest how everything is locked to a gamertag with a passion, why gamers accept it is beyond me).
- Fully internet enabled (Steam, Teamspeak, Skype, Web Browsers, IM, download services, etc)
- Games are typically cheaper than console counterparts (30 vs 40 for new titles).

One large con however that kinda sorta does and doesn't belong in the above is a general observation that for a long time now games have been developed for console first, PC second. This means the PC titles are frequently average, sometimes poor console ports without optimised controls, UI (eg. Borderlands, Rage) and shitty map/texture sizes because of ancient console hardware limitations (eg. Portal 2 load screens every 45 seconds, even on PC which could prob load the whole damned game into RAM at once!).

All in all, I prefer PC gaming to console gaming for almost all things. If a game is cross platform, I will choose PC almost every time just because it looks and plays better on good hardware than clunky, past their prime 7 year old consoles that should've been buried by now. To illustrate, play either Mass Effect 1 or 2 or DA2 with all the eye candy on, on PC and compare it. Even looking at a still, it will be 20x better, let alone as it plays, not even to mention the superior controls.

I do prefer driving and fighting games on console however. Those games are much better on a gamepad I think, and also better with 2 players. :-) Unless you have a social, gaming group of friend on Live/PSN or whatever that means you have to stick with it and them, go PC, you won't regret it.

if games are something you do for fun, no.

but if you are really set on Pc sure.

if games mean more than fun to you you should be playing them on every platform. yes even the wii

Yes.
But then again, I'm a PC elitist so...yeah.
I'm biased.

BlueMage:

Kitsuna10060:

BlueMage:

orlry ....

Months? Bitch, years. True snobbery isn't something you acquire in mere months.

You're young in our ways, you'll learn ;)

lol, i suppose, >.> i've already got a healthy hate for some of the 'console only' company's....

devotedsniper:
As much as id like to say it's worth it (since im a pc gamer), well it was back when i made the change but now with all the DRM hassles (im looking at you, ubisoft) and the fact that the majority of games for pc are now just lazy ports, so no it's no longer worth it other than for the mods and the better graphics (which unless you have a really good computer, you wont notice).

With my next pc i plan to stick a 360 or something in it as well so i get the best of both worlds.

see as much as ubi's drm is just balls its easier to just play them on consoles, its probably the best place for most of their games.

Now if you want to bring up something like steam or origin, than id give you those because some people just dont like them, which is fine.

ElPatron:
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:

Do you prefer online multiplayer over split screen?
Do you usually play alone?
Do you think that party games are unnecessary?
Are you willing to pay attention to what games are bad ports?
Are you willing to acquire a screen and sound system or share your TV with a computer on the same screen?

If you answered Yes, then a computer is the right choice.

If you like to play with friends and share your xbox games frequently and like party games then just go for a console.

And all you people complaining about DRM and the "hassle" of maintaining a PC probably never connected your console to PSN or Xbox Live.

And get a car. Then you'll know what really feels to "maintain" something. A computer hardly requires tinkering unless you are too stupid to use google.

Chunga the Great:
OT: If you are willing to shell out 800+ for a good rig

Yeah, because we totally don't see posts proving that stupid myth wrong every single day.

Could you just do some research instead of just saying what you heard from others? 800 quid is a LOT of money.

Threeseventyfive:
If you know how to build a PC and have the cash & the time, I'd say go for it.

Bought my PC for 250 euro about 3 years ago.

Paid 20 euro to have it built by a computer technician so that I could have warranty. I picked it up the morning after.

You don't need that much time and money. Now add the fact that games are about 10 euro cheaper, and I probably spent less money on my computer than on my xbox.

This right here is the best response you're going to get OP. ElPatron puts it perfectly. What it comes down to is what exactly it is your looking to get out of your gaming time.

If you prefer more options, a more open platform, more expansive and social online-multiplayer, and more variety, then PC is the way to go.

If you prefer living-room social gaming, certain exclusives, ease-of-use, and a closed but more cohesive online experience, then consoles are your best bet.

Pricing, despite what many will say, is not the issue. In the end, either platform breaks even. PCs have a higher initial investment cost, but more than make up for it with everything else. Consoles start out 'cheaper' but the cash you're paying quickly starts to spiral out of control when you start adding to your library or try to game online.

So just ask yourself what you want from gaming.

On a few side-notes, though:
You can hook your PC up to a TV quite easily. I currently have my rig hooked up to my big-screen HD TV and my wide-screen monitor. So while I'm working or surfing on the monitor, I can sit back on my couch and game on the big screen.

Also, while the actual number of these types of games are more rare, you can split-screen on PC. I regularly play things like Worms, Left 4 Dead, and other games with friends. I just plug multiple keyboard/mice or controllers (usually 360 controllers) into my PC.

First off, while a PC is more expensive, the games are cheaper. It is a bigger investment, sure, but do keep in mind that if you buy a lot of games, the difference might not be as big as you think.

Second, a computer will not "most certainly break down on you at some point". Consoles break down more often than PCs. If you mean it will not last you as long as it'll get oudated, now that might be true, but a good rig should last you a while if you don't mind not always playing on highest settings.

Anyway, I'm confused over why you feel you need to "switch"? I have a PC, but I wouldn't mind having a console next to it for exclusives and such. If you've got the funds to get yourself a PC, why not have your cake and eat it too, play on both systems? If you're wondering whether a PC is worth getting... dunno, up to you. Personally, I prefer it as a platform anyway, keyboard and mouse being the main reason. But if you like consoles, there may not be enough PC exclusives out there to justify a purchase. So really, it just comes down to whether you can afford a good PC and whether there's enough reason for you to buy it (Skyrim's a fluke, there's just as many games that are more functional on the consoles than they are on PC, in fact there are likely far more of them as games are more often being designed for consoles first)

I have spent probably the same amount on PC games as I did console games, and I have 4-5x the number of games for the PC.

mods, graphics and framerate all make it worth it. mods open up literally infinite possibilities in games, even further improving performance and graphics, and creating new gamesor adding new gameplay features. all of the customization of the pc makes it worth it. i myself actually enjoy tweaking and tweaking to maximize a games performance.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked