The most spine-chilling, bricks-shatting moment in gaming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Skoldpadda:
That moment when you read the news that EA " " has bought your favourite developing team.

*Westwood*

*BUllfrog*

Bvenged:

Skoldpadda:
That moment when you read the news that EA " " has bought your favourite developing team.

*Westwood*

*BUllfrog*

*looks at my cases of Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun*
*a lonely manly tear starts sliding down my cheek*

Rest in piece, I know thee well.

On topic:

Dead Space - the parts with the Regenerator or Ubermorph popping up. They were quite intense and well done. :)

Thandran:

Bvenged:

Skoldpadda:

*Westwood*

*Bullfrog*

*looks at my cases of Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun*
*a lonely manly tear starts sliding down my cheek*

Rest in piece, I know thee well.

To a T :D

I also want to add:

That scary moment when you've waited ages for the new Unreal Tournament and it's just a vaguely disguised Gears of War game:
"EPPPPIIIIIIC! What have you done?!?! I wanted UNREAL TOURNAMENT, NOT GEARS OF WAR: TOURNAMENT!! I enjoy Gears but damn, I wanted UT3 to be a UT game to the core *thinks back to U1, U2, UT, UT'04, UTC...* NOT some altered version of Gears!"

:'(

But back to the topic at hand, which I'm yet to contribute to:

In all seriousness, there is only one game I have ever not completed because I nearly crapped myself...

...DooM 3.

I don't play a lot of horror, but the early on in Dead Space when the first one of them plays dead.

Also Amnesia, most of it.

Pretty much most of Fear: Extraction (I never played the original FEAR, so I don't really have a point of reference).

Actually, there was a point in FEAR 2 where I was climbing down a ladder from a catwalk, and through the rungs I saw a man walk into an alley. "Oh hey," I thought "I should probably follow him." So I walked around the ladder and into the alley. No Man. Just a small pile of ammunition and armour. "Well, that's a little creepy, but whatever, free ammo." Funny how the moment I turned arou- A BLOOGITY WOOGITY WOO!

Yea, fuck that guy.

SL33TBL1ND:
Wait. People think Ravenholm was actually scary? I thought it was just a self-perpetuating joke all these years.

Really, people? Really?

Well, many people don't like horror games and such, I am for example a real wimp when it comes to horror games/movies, so I haven't played any at all.

Therefore my scariest moment would be Ravenholm, by process of elimination ^^

Gorilla Gunk:
The sharks in the Resident Evil remake.

I have a serious shark phobia.

The sharks? Nothing to say about the other new goodies like crimson heads and Lisa Trevor? Well if you have a phobia that's understandable, but the crimson heads were what took the piss out of me. Damn things not staying dead when they're supposed to.

Maybe this is a bit lame, but the bit in Doom 3 when you first see your reflection in the bathroom mirror. Just about shat myself and emptied half a clip into the wall. . .

probably the kennel area in Penumbra: black plauge
dear god. i was terefied the entire time i was there. mainly because the music playing there incorperated bits of the "enemy nearby" music from the previous game.

plus that *THING* hiding in the walls that only attacks when the lights are out.
and the room full of bloody handprints all about knee-high up the walls
and that dog that turns out to be a hallucination
and that hallway were the lights shut on and off, leaving you exposed

now feel like just going somewhere to think happy thoughts

Silent hill 2: You're in town early on and that straight jacket monster slithers out from under a vehicle in front of you, as well as the prison level when you knock on a bathroom stall door and walk away ownly to hear "RAAAWR *THUMP*". Nearly pissed myself and felt myself go numb both times.

Doom 3 actually creeped me out too, the atmospheric sound was always there and I had to force myself to charge into an area so I could shotgun imps as they spawned

I'm so scared of the type of game Fatal Frame is that I won't even play the damn things after seeing a ghost come at you in a crawlspace

As someone who doesn't get the appeal of horror games at all, mine would be After Montignac in Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis. It's where you're stu... actually, no, I shouldn't explain it because if you have the slightest desire to try it, you should go in knowing nothing about it. And it is definitely worth it. Modern shooter games can't hold a candle to the campaign in general, and that mission in particular was... wow.

Never have I cowered under a bush feaing for my life to the extent that I did in that level. I never even used the readily available rocket launcher, for fear that I would miss and bring all hell down on my head...

Oh the Regenerators in RE4 were fucking scary. Their breathing is really creepy and they always wait for you to come to them. And apparently there were thermal goggles to show you where their weak spots were... Yet i never found them.

You have the bizarre scenario where i'm just pumping shotgun shells into various places of their bodies and hope i hit the right spots.

In fact I was so scared by their bullshit (I can't stand enemies in horror games that refuse to die) that when you go into a freezer that holds a load of them in cryo storage and you get a button that turns off the freezer I point blank refused, hit the NO option and promptly walked the fuck out.

That was where the goggles were I suppose. Fuckin' RE puzzle logic

The original Silent Hill - going through the hospital was intense as hell and one of the most tense experiences I'd ever experienced. Then I found out the hospital had a basement.

Had to turn off the game and psyche myself up for 20 minutes to move on.

The Wykydtron:
Oh the Regenerators in RE4 were fucking scary. Their breathing is really creepy and they always wait for you to come to them. And apparently there were thermal goggles to show you where their weak spots were... Yet i never found them.

You have the bizarre scenario where i'm just pumping shotgun shells into various places of their bodies and hope i hit the right spots.

In fact I was so scared by their bullshit (I can't stand enemies in horror games that refuse to die) that when you go into a freezer that holds a load of them in cryo storage and you get a button that turns off the freezer I point blank refused, hit the NO option and promptly walked the fuck out.

That was where the goggles were I suppose. Fuckin' RE puzzle logic

Yeah, the thermal scope for the sniper rifle is in there. Though despite the creepy breathing, they are fairly easy to dispatch with the scope in tow. Unless you take off their legs. Then they do this weird crawl that's faster than their walk...

Pretty much every minute of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

And also some of these scenes from Bioshock.

Anything Amnesia-related or most horror games. FPS + Darkness = I no longer want to play. My imagination kills me more than what exists.
Also, anything doll/mannequin-related. F**king uncanny valley.

Personnaly Ravenholm was pretty intense first time through. The one I look back on fondly was watching my brother playing Sonic 2. The final boss music freaked me out so much I was actually hiding behind the sofa. I was about 3 at the time though.

I have to say the entirety of Fallout New Vegas Dead Money.

The binding of isaac "Jesus love me" song on 10th ending will chill you to the bone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeiDlkHz6Y

Nurb:
I'm so scared of the type of game Fatal Frame is that I won't even play the damn things after seeing a ghost come at you in a crawlspace

Goddammit, I almost dropped my laptop watching that...I've seen a couple LPs of the Fatal Frames (because there's no way in hell I'm playing them myself) and don't recall that one. Imagine if they disabled pausing when an enemy is nearby...

The only horror games I've played were the first Silent Hill and about 15 minutes of Amnesia. The first bits of Silent Hill were bad enough with seemingly empty rooms having windows and tables shattering as soon as you turned your back to leave, but then crap like this happens.

Controller dropped. TV turned off. Deep breaths taken.

Sounds freak me out a lot more than sight. So naturally the big multiple head crab zombies in HL2 as well as episode 1 and 2 freaked me out so badly. I remember on the highway part of the second half life, there was this building with the stairs blasted out. and I heard this heavy breathing noise coming from upstairs. So I take my gravity gun, build some stairs, look around and theres nothing. I turn around and one of these big lads is staring at me right in the face. Panic ensued

Doom 64 was terrifying at the time, and the soundtrack created such an atmosphere; I was afraid to move on at times.

For example this is still creepy to this day.

Ravenholm was when you started to run out of ammo.

But mainly Amnesia. God damn, the whole of Amnesia is terrifying, I couldn't even play it it in full screened.

My would be when you encounter the Regenerator in Resident Evil 4. The sound they made haunt me as you cannot see them as the sound echoes everywhere.

For me it was the doll factory in Condemned 2, I HATE dolls and that level was so hard for me.
Also the sewer level in Dark Forces, the main reason I hate swimming or water stages in almost any video game.
Oh and Resident Evil 4 when you fight those Regenerators always made me run through it the stages screaming.

Not entirely scary but just creeped me out were the Centaurs from Fallout 3.

TerribleAssassin:
Ravenholm was when you started to run out of ammo.

Oh god, this. That happened the first time I played the game and I got lost. Couldn't find my way out.

For me, the first time I played through the Mansion of Madness in Timesplitters: Future Perfect had me pretty damn scared. I jumped at every little noise and my accuracy almost disappeared due to my panic when facing multiple zombies. I know the game is a spoof and one of my favorites, but those 2 levels really got to me.

Of course, Amnesia. Specifically a moment early in the game when you are collecting the chemicals to mix together to create... something. Wish I could remember. The monster saw briefly saw me (I was hoping he hadn't), so I closed a door and hid in a corner of a room. I literally started screaming when he began to bash down in door to find me.

First, let's get this out of the way:

(spoilers)

And also, yes, damn, Fatal Frame 4, great game. Awesome story. The scariest moment in it I can remember is in the area with a little pool in it (for therapy I think it was), and Sakuya (either her or the nurse) come up the stairs and and you have to run past her. Ack.

I am a bad judge of scary, I am that awful dick who laughs at people getting scared at alot of these things.

So I'll refrain since I usually get a mouthful from my friends about my lack of scared and how I am no longer allowed to watch horror movies with them for fear of spoiling the atmosphere.

Don Savik:

OP: for me it was someplace in FEAR 1 or 2 can't remember which, I was climbing a ladder and then when I got to the top Alma was right at the top looking down at me. I screamed and fell down the ladder. It wasn't that scary when you think about it, but the mood and timing made it horrifying.

That's the first one.

F.E.A.R 1 is one of my favorites too, the entire opening where you are running around in the sewers and alma is following you... just... GAH! OMFG! I could barely play the demo, and as I kept going it got harder to play. F.E.A.R 2 had a couple of moments, but not many. F.E.A.R 1 will always live in my heart as a favorite.

Amnesia is also a scary game, I haven't even gotten to the good parts, it's just so god damned tense!

SL33TBL1ND:
Wait. People think Ravenholm was actually scary? I thought it was just a self-perpetuating joke all these years.

Really, people? Really?

Yeah, I never saw Ravenholm as really scary either. It's sorta creepy and really bleak, but Gordon Freeman is too damn powerful by that point in the game and there's just so much ammo for the Gravity Gun.
It's like Resident Evil 4. Leon is too damn powerful and the game has an action-oriented swing. Your first encounter with Las Plagas is weird, but you eventually treat them as slightly more dangerous enemies that you don't actually walk up to and kick. The chainsaw people freak you out for a little when you hear it revving up and you unload all you ammo until they die. You eventually discover that they're pretty easy to stun-lock with a shotgun or sniper rifle. You unload all your ammo into the creepy ass Regenerators until you realize that they don't die and you run the hell away. Then there's the wiggling bag in a dumpster. Those constitute pretty much the only major scary moments and the one creepy-as-all-hell moment in the game.

I don't really play horror games, so I'd have to go with some of the locations from Fallout 3. Especially the Dunwich Building.

Probably when you're having a very tense match of Starcraft 2, and then suddenly your units start dying and you can't see why, and then it hits you...That sonofabitch just went Dark Templar, and you have no/too-little detection.

Or when you see that pack of mutas on the edge of your minimap, and you don't have enough anti-air to stop them from trapping you in your own base. Or when you hear a Nydus worm pop up, and you just KNOW that he's either in, or right next to your base, pumping out tons of units.

Or when you hear the nuke calldown, but can't find the flippin' red dot.

tendaji:

That's one of the scenes that creeps me out from that game

Can't find the video of another freaky moment that scared the piss out of me from the game, but if I do I will post it...

Edit: Ah found it, but the sound isn't the greatest.
http://youtu.be/QtnDNmjuwrg?t=1m16s
The area starts at 1:16, and not sure how to link that on here >.>

Is that a half life mod?

Rabid Toilet:

kortin:
In general? I dunno. I mean, I don't play horror games (unless for whatever the hell reason you count Amnesia as a horror game >.>).

Why wouldn't you count Amnesia as a horror game?

Because it isn't a horror game. It's a suspense game, and the mere fact that it relies on you to immerse yourself for it to be plausibly scary shows that it isn't a horror game. If you don't immerse yourself, the effect is gone.

For Hell's sake, I only jumped once or twice in my entire time playing the game and I was never even remotely scared (keep in mind the fact that I am one of the most cowardly people out there. I can't even watch a slightly scary movie). I was trying to immerse myself, don't get me wrong, but all of the puzzles just pull you out of that immersion and break the game itself.

When I was about 10 I was playing a Theif game (no idea which) and on the second level was confronted by a mine filled with corpses. I stepped on one accidentally and it jumped up to attack me - I was so scared I held the computer's power button until it turned off :L

I'm not good with shooting games (terrible accuracy) which most horror games seem to be, so I have sadly stayed away from them. However, I have joined my friends in a playthrough of Fatal Frame 1, the scariest moment to me was being attacked by the long haired ghost, or the blind one, or pretty much any of the ghosts really XD

I've seen Dead Space 1 & 2 played through too, but didn't really find any of it particularly scary - full of suspense, yes, but scary? No.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked