Why don't you play games on PC?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

-I have a laptop, so I'm kinda limited in what I can run, though it's still a good bit.
-I'm really used to console game controls, having played console games FAR more than PC games.

lotr rocks 0:
I used mostly this site, it helped a lot and I'm very happy with the result I got from it. They even have recommended builds for several price ranges.

http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/

Nice one, looks pretty handy. I'll give it a proper read when it's not 4am, haha.

Badassassin:

Yes. Because if people aren't as good with computers as you are then they are tards.

Being unable to work a PC doesn't make you a tard.

However, far too many people look at PCs and go "I will never learn how to make that work", and that's complete BS.

It has a learning curve for sure, but that's the same for everything. That's not an excuse.

When the guy says something like that, does he strike you as a magical PC wiz-kid, who was born with an extreme technical aptitude?

No. He simply took the time to learn it, as anyone else can do.

To paint the picture:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/203/problemsolving.gif/

Ease of use and the avialibility of games. I played a few games on pc and had issues with a few of them theres nothing worse for me than trying to get something to work when it should just work without me having to diagnos the issue and then figure out or look up how to fix it. It also doesn't help that a few of my favorite franchises aren't on pc. I've been thinking about getting into but your essentially buying another console that tends to have more issues I understand the upsides but there just not that big of a deal for me.

I like both. My first console was a SNES and my Dad also had a computer, primarily for work, that had a decent amount of games on it (Wolfenstein, Keeno Blaster, Duke Nukem, some platformer called Captain something or other). As of now I have a Macbook, which I play games on from time to time especially at Uni and while at home I'll play on my PS3 or Wii.

Both consoles and PCs have their pros and cons. I'm surprised at how many people in this thread are dismissive of one or the other.

Well I used to play TF2 on my laptop. But now for some reason I'm having a hard time playing the game on a decent framerate. So I kinda gave up on it.

Maybe when I actually make some money to afford an actual gaming PC, I'd probably be more into PC games. I may have to if the rumors about Microsoft and Sony making their consoles block used games are true. Until then, I'm happy with my consoles.

Balobo:
Jaggies?

Jaggies are awesome with their........JAGGINESS!

Dexter111:
These threads can always be well summarized with a long "DURRRRRR!"...

It's always different people repeating like the 3-4 same things they believe to be right because they are quite simply misinformed:

- People that think if you play on a PC you gotta use Mouse+Keyboard and somehow can't grasp the idea that you can stick Controllers, Joysticks, Racing Wheels or any other periphery into those USB ports unlike most consoles.
- People repeating how a gaming PC costs anywhere from 3000-10000$
- People that are saying their games look so much better on a TV or play better from a couch without realizing that the cable they are putting into the back of their monitor also goes into the back of a TV.
- People believing that one has to be some sort of rocket scientist for gaming on a PC (more like back in the 80s and 90s), when in reality nowadays it mostly constitutes being able to install Steam (and never even having to worry about physical media or losing games again), if you can manage using a computer for school/internet/work etc. you'll manage that.
- People that believe input devices handle the same and it being down to "preference" even though there are dozens of scientific studies on the superiority of pointing devices for certain genres like FPS.

And whenever someone points out what they are saying is ridiculous and tries to correct them he/she is being labeled "elitist".

Dexter111, don't bother. These points are made, backed-up, quantified, and verified repeatedly; yet the misconceptions continue. Most of the people that hold to those misconceptions simply put their fingers in their ears and chant loudly until you stop trying. They don't WANT to know the truth or face the fact that what they think they know is wrong.

Now, this is not speaking on personal preference. Some people just like their consoles. Just as some people just like their PCs. I say, they ALL play games; who gives a damn which one you're playing on?

Oh, that's right, the assholes of the world do. The vocal minority of each group. The ones who have made a choice and decide anyone who hasn't followed along must be an idiot; an idiot deserving of their ire

Let's all not be these people, m'kay? We all game on our own respective platforms. Each has their flaws, each has their benefits. Let's just play the games we wanna play and stop trying to make others feel bad for their choices.

That said, we really need to stop with the misconceptions. Especially in regards to PC gaming. The sheer level of misinformation I hear spread around now-a-days is staggering. Especially in a world essentially built on an infrastructure run by computers.

lotr rocks 0:

kommando367:

3. Not enough variety of games. Although I'm probably looking in the wrong places, I'm still putting this as a reason.

This perplexed me. As a former console gamer turned PC gamer, PC's have pretty much every type of game that consoles do, in addition to many many others (a lot of indy games, RTS, MMO, etc)

The only genre I can think of right now that isnt well represented on PC's are band simulators like rock band, and motion control stuff.

That's just it. There is a lot of RTSs and MMOs, but I don't like those genres.
I like single player hack and slash games that aren't just "auto-attack with dice rolls and button mapped powers", FPSs, and action RPGs. There doesn't seem to be near as many of those as on console. Basically, games like God of War and Killzone 3 which are exclusives of playstation systems. Like I said before, I'm not sure where to look for PC equivalents of these games in the first place.

I started out as a console gamer and my computer was the family computer which my parents didn't like me installing games on. I still did and do but try to keep it to a minimum. I have a Macbook and I have a few games but you know how it is haha.

I figure when the next generation of consoles come out I'm going to switch over to the PC gaming master race rather than buy a Playstation 4.

BreakfastMan:

CCountZero:

BreakfastMan:
Wow, a number of my fellow PC gamers are being right asses to the console-exclusive gamers. Really guys? Is it really that important that you prove them wrong? Man, I don't understand why so many people have a stick up their butt about this...

I'm primarily a PCGamer, but I do own an X360, originally intended for the Halo series, but later also for RDR and Rock Band.

But despite having caved and bought said console, I also believe that consoles cause a stagnation in the further development of video games.

You don't improve the tech on consoles, 'cus there's nothing new to work with.

Maybe optimization gets a little boost here and there, but improvements made by virtue of the PC gamers basically counts every damn thing you could think of, and I shiver at the thought of how much faster we could be improving our tech if all the Console gamers would switch over

Not to mention what effect that would have on what's possible in videogames today.

Now, I know many people would say things like "Yeah, but do we really need that?" or "Meh, it looks fine as it is", but I can only ask, what if we'd said the same thing ten, or even just five years ago? Where would we be?

To me, looking at consoles and saying "Yeah, I'm satisfied" is to look at horse-drawn carriages and go "Meh, why did we ever invent the car?"

(Or to look at Earth and go "Meh, we don't need no Spacemen.")

I disagree with your entire premise. If consoles cause stagnation, the entire game industry should have ground to a halt by now, since A: consoles have been around nearly as long as video games have and B: ever since the NES have been the main place where most people play their games. And there have been many great games that have used their limited tech to great effect. Ever wondered why the Silent Hill devs choose to use so much fog? It is because the PSX had a crappy draw-distance. Seriously, that idea only makes sense if you are talking about graphics tech, the increase cost of which has not exactly been kind to the market.

That's the thing though. Consoles causing stagnation doesn't mean it all grinds to a halt, but only that it slows down. And it has slowed down.

And you're right, a lot of games have been doing some amazing things on limited tech. I remember seeing Crysis 2 on X360, and I was quite impressed at what they had made happen.
But that has nothing to do with further development.

Silent Hill devs didn't "choose" to fog it up. They were forced to.
Did it work well for the game? You bet it did!
But should they have had a choice, or at least the option of using more realistic smoke? I believe they should.
On PC, the smoke effects in Metro 2033 are absolutely amazing.

And improving hardware for gaming doesn't just mean "shinier pixels". We have the capability to make some extremely good looking stuff, but it's not being used because we don't have power to run it available to people.

Stuff like higher resolution textures and ten mile draw distances.

ArmA is doing it on PC, and we're seeing Skyrim mods that improve the texture resolutions eight-fold, and damn does Skyrim look absolutely gorgeous with some of the mods made for it.

But it all requires power, and that power is only gonna progress faster and cheaper with more people in the market for it.

-'If you don't play PC games, why?'-

Because 6 years ago a console cost me about $400, and I can still use it today to play new AAA games.

A 6 year old PC that cost about $400 couldn't play Skyrim ect.

Sober Thal:

Because 6 years ago a console cost me about $400, and I can still use it today to play new AAA games.

How many games have you bought in those six years?

For every AAA game you've bought, take 35% of the cost, and add it together. That's how much money I saved by being a PC gamer.

I've done the math, and if I bought my games on console, it would actually be more expensive.

CCountZero:

Sober Thal:

How many games have you bought in those six years?

For every AAA game you've bought, take 35% of the cost, and add it together. That's how much money I saved by being a PC gamer.

I've done the math, and if I bought my games on console, it would actually be more expensive.

I see your point, and if I bought every game day 1, it would probably be true for me as well.

Sober Thal:

What kind of PC did you buy? Was it a gaming PC? I had an old gaming laptop I bought in 2008 and it was able to play every multiplatform release I had as good if not better than the Xbox and PS3 until the day I sold it. It was based on 2007 hardware even though I picked it up at discounted pricing in 2008.

I do play solely on the PC, but if there were some reason not to, it would be to just turn on the damn thing and start playing with out having to configure or worry that I won't be able to play the game because of the requirements.

But even considering that I still prefer the PC for all the advantages we know it has and because even if configuring, patching, modding, updating the PC, may seem like a big hassle, I still have some fun doing it.

well my laptop overheats on anything demanding so not much I can play at the moment
and I don't have the room or the money to build the pc (I work a min wage job and have debts to pay off I can't afford to drop $500 on a computer)

Well I have games on the PC, but there is just so many distractions on a computer I often end up just browsing the web all day.

When I play on a console I do just that. Play the game

I feel sorry for people who don't play games on a PC. Some games are well suited to consoles, but others most definetly are not(although if you only like games that are suited to a console then this doesn't really matter).

While I like a lot of game on PC, I don't play for 3 major reasons.
1.) My laptop can't run most of the new stuff (except The Old republic, which I am enjoying immensely)
2.) I am still in college as of this posting and don't have a lot of free time at school
3.) my family's home computer is a Mac. 'nuff said

Well, in my case it's because I lack a proper gaming PC (they're so expensive and take up so much room) so the only PC games I play are ones which don't tax my laptop's integrated graphics card (which is the only part which is lacking), such as Bastion.

I like PC gaming, mainly for mods and better FPS controllers, but I would call myself a console gamer. I have all three consoles, and it's safe to say I have put 100x the game time into those that I have the PC. Here are the reasons why:

1. I like actually buying games. This thing I am holding in my hand right now? It's the game cart to 'Castlevania order of Ecclesia' for the Nintendo DS. This is mine. Nintendo and/or Konami can go under and cease to exist as companies, or the world could be in semi nuclear war... and I can still play this Castlevania game on my DS. No one can tell me I can't, no matter who I piss off. I don't have to worry about my DS being permanently turned off and my games erased if I make a 'mean' comment on a message board. Like most things I own, I can also sell this Castlevania game to anyone I wish without worrying about all my other DS tittles being erased.

2. Split screen. While it may not be widely available in this day and age, it once was and i still would have missed out on some of the funnest times in gaming that anyone could have. Sorry, playing with someone online doesn't even compare, even if they are also still your friend. Playing with people in the same room is a party, and that is something greater then what the internet can provide.

3. Some of the best games ever made are still console exclusives. Zelda, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. The PC has some great exclusives to, but I have yet to see a single PC game make me say: Man, I wish I had a gaming rig. Funny story, I now have a fairly good PC and I am still playing games off of it more.

Because keyboard and mouse > controller.

Console RPGs are dumbed down and stupid.

Console shooters are slow and skilless (aim assist, much?).

Capthca: win hands down

CCountZero:

BreakfastMan:

CCountZero:

I'm primarily a PCGamer, but I do own an X360, originally intended for the Halo series, but later also for RDR and Rock Band.

But despite having caved and bought said console, I also believe that consoles cause a stagnation in the further development of video games.

You don't improve the tech on consoles, 'cus there's nothing new to work with.

Maybe optimization gets a little boost here and there, but improvements made by virtue of the PC gamers basically counts every damn thing you could think of, and I shiver at the thought of how much faster we could be improving our tech if all the Console gamers would switch over

Not to mention what effect that would have on what's possible in videogames today.

Now, I know many people would say things like "Yeah, but do we really need that?" or "Meh, it looks fine as it is", but I can only ask, what if we'd said the same thing ten, or even just five years ago? Where would we be?

To me, looking at consoles and saying "Yeah, I'm satisfied" is to look at horse-drawn carriages and go "Meh, why did we ever invent the car?"

(Or to look at Earth and go "Meh, we don't need no Spacemen.")

I disagree with your entire premise. If consoles cause stagnation, the entire game industry should have ground to a halt by now, since A: consoles have been around nearly as long as video games have and B: ever since the NES have been the main place where most people play their games. And there have been many great games that have used their limited tech to great effect. Ever wondered why the Silent Hill devs choose to use so much fog? It is because the PSX had a crappy draw-distance. Seriously, that idea only makes sense if you are talking about graphics tech, the increase cost of which has not exactly been kind to the market.

That's the thing though. Consoles causing stagnation doesn't mean it all grinds to a halt, but only that it slows down. And it has slowed down.

And you're right, a lot of games have been doing some amazing things on limited tech. I remember seeing Crysis 2 on X360, and I was quite impressed at what they had made happen.
But that has nothing to do with further development.

Silent Hill devs didn't "choose" to fog it up. They were forced to.
Did it work well for the game? You bet it did!
But should they have had a choice, or at least the option of using more realistic smoke? I believe they should.
On PC, the smoke effects in Metro 2033 are absolutely amazing.

And improving hardware for gaming doesn't just mean "shinier pixels". We have the capability to make some extremely good looking stuff, but it's not being used because we don't have power to run it available to people.

Stuff like higher resolution textures and ten mile draw distances.

ArmA is doing it on PC, and we're seeing Skyrim mods that improve the texture resolutions eight-fold, and damn does Skyrim look absolutely gorgeous with some of the mods made for it.

But it all requires power, and that power is only gonna progress faster and cheaper with more people in the market for it.

I am sorry, but nearly 30 years of history disagrees with you. If consoles cause stagnation, we should be a much different place than we are now. We are not, so I am inclined to believe that consoles do not. :/ And really, the only stagnation that is happening, in your eyes, is in graphics. Which, to many people, don't matter nearly that much, and you really have provided no counter arguments to this. Do most gamers care that we do not have 10-mile draw distances? Nope. And increased graphics have only sent development costs sky-rocketing.

Zachary Amaranth:
I do play some games on PC. I'd play more, but I hate Mouse and Keyboard, don't want to upgrade a unit I primarily use for music, web browsing, and writing, and like playing on two separate screens (playing and writing, playing and browsing, etc).

Before anyone tears me a new one, it's not hard or "too expensive" to upgrade my tower. I still don't particularly want to do it. I prefer the console experience.

This right here is what people should be saying. Most of the other "claims" are either tenuous at best or down-right false at worst. Like it always being more expensive, too much of a hassle, too unreliable, or too complicated. (not to mention the whole controller/couch bs) Just ludicrous.

However; and don't take this as me trying to "convert" you or something but rather just mentioning; but now-a-days you can game on one screen and web-browse/write on another. Even with laptops. A simple composite or HDMI cable (or DVI) plugged into your TV and your laptop/desktop will, as long as your GPU supports it, allow you to play a game on one screen and do other things on the other.

My current desktop setup is like this. I have a monitor and my big HD tv plugged into it. In fact, right now, I'm playing Diablo 2 on the big screen while I'm typing this and listening to music.

I like PC. And I've got one word: torrents.

When I want just to see if the game good or not I don't have to buy it, just download n' run. Like? Play it! Don't like? Then delete it and don't cry for your wasted money

Seems pretty fair to me.

I only play old RTSs, TBSs, the occasional puzzle game and Audio Surf on my computer because my computer is 7-8 years old and I don't feel like getting a new one because this still works. Also I don't like the keyboard/mouse control scheme: too clunky in my opinion. i have an Xbox 360 and most of the games I like are on that.

Balobo:

Zachary Amaranth:
I prefer the console experience.

Jaggies?

Yes. What else could I possibly have meant.

Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3 would melt my netbook's processor and screen.

I have the opposite issue. I refuse to play games on console because I really dislike using controllers and unlike PC comsoles don't give you a choice. I'd buy a console right away if I could expect mouse & keyboard support as standard in games, but even if you can get a mouse & keyboard working on a console almost nothing will let you play using them.

Two main reasons:

1) I only have a laptop and, while it can run games, its never particularly smooth and always requires more time spent tweaking setting all around (and I'm not great with computers) than I really want to spend. Consoles are just more convenient

2) My dorm has a common room that I share with three roommates. We have a nice TV with an Xbox and a Wii. It always seems kind of anti-social to me to sit in front of my computer with headphones on when I could game with my friends.

That being said, I would play more PC games if I had the money for a nice gaming computer. But I don't, so other than occasional retro Steam sale purchases and Minecraft, I don't play PC games.

dreadedcandiru99:

Strain42:
If you don't play PC games, why?

A few people have probably beaten me to the punch on these, but since you asked:

(1) Because playing a game with an input device originally designed for typing letters rather than game-playing has always been clumsy and awkward, at least to me, and

(2) Because I can't afford to buy a load of new computer parts every time a new game comes out.

That second thing, in particular, is by far the biggest reason I've stuck with consoles: all I have to do is turn them on, put the disk in, and play. I guess I'll have to find a way to afford more PC games, though, if some of the crap I've heard about the next-gen consoles turns out to be true...

Actually the slow console cycle and the fact its getting more and more expensive to make graphics better mean that PCs last much much longer then they did before.

I play on both pc and console but to be honest I prefer console just because it's faster to get the game up and running (at least with my dinosaur of a pc). :P

Because touch screens don't translate well through emulators.

Seriously, as of right now, that's pretty much the only time I'm not playing on my computer, when I'm playing on my DS. Of course, I've got my PS2, but the number of "new" games I can get for that are dwindling more and more.

Honestly, though, I can see why some wouldn't want to play on their PCs. Personally, I attribute a large amount of my procrastinative habits over the past decade or so solely to the computer and the Internet. When I didn't have the money to jump head-first into the current generation, I turned my PC into my primary gaming console, and now there's hardly a day when I'm not working that I'm not spending at least 8-10 hours in front of the screen, and even days when I am working the computer's on practically every second I'm home.

RT:

Strain42:
Now, I know is can be a tricky topic, and I'm hoping that both sides here can try to keep the insults and snobbery to a minimum. I'm not making this thread to start arguments, I'm just wondering.

If you don't play PC games, why? There are so many reasons out there, I just wanna hear some peoples.

In my case it's because I spend enough time on my computer as it is. I do almost all of my work on the computer, being a cartoonist, and I also do the vast majority of my homework on the computer. That, coupled with the time I spend just being on the web, it adds up to quite a bit of computer time. The last thing I personally wanna do is add "the time I spend playing video games" to that list.

There is one PC game I own that I really would like to play again (Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines) but ever since I got my new PC, I haven't been able to run it. So my PC gaming has pretty much come to a complete halt.

You must be doing something wrong. Steam version runs perfectly on my Win7.

Well I don't use Steam or Windows 7, so neither of those are really relevant to me, sorry.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked