What's the most scared you've ever been in a game?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

BloatedGuppy:
Shalebridge Cradle.

No-o-o!

*sobs silently in the corner*

I hated that level. In a good way. Also, not that scary but great atmosphere - the Ocean House Hotel in Bloodlines. Playing for the first time, I went in expecting nothing significant, after all I had been assured there wouldn't be anything significant. And the level managed to keep me on the edge of my seat nonetheless. THE LAUNDRY ROOM! Oh god, the laundry room made me cringe.

Hosker:
Almost certainly Ravenholm. Not helped by playing it at around midnight.

How about my story: replaying Ravenholm around midnight in the dark with headphones on. It's silent now but I'm trying to listen for the godawful zombies. I hear the sound but dismiss it because it's not a typical zombie sound. But then, it wasn't a typical in-game sound either... And a hand grabs me from behind.

My mother wanted to ask me was I going to bed soon (fair enough, I had to go to school early on the following day). As luck would have it, there were no firearms, knives or other objects that could serve as weapons within an arms reach. I might have had a parent less that night otherwise.

In one of the expansions to the first F.E.A.R game there was a room with a bunch of enemies that are pretty much invisible and very fast moving, but weak and easy to kill. At one point I entered a smaller room and thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I shot *EVERYTHING* in that room.

I am yet to play a true horror game. One which actually scares. Can anyone suggest one for xbox because I cant do good PC.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent. All of it.

ablac:
I am yet to play a true horror game. One which actually scares. Can anyone suggest one for xbox because I cant do good PC.

Have you tried Metro 2033? That game delivers such a good atmosphere, the people living in the metro stations... And of course the tunnels. One of the most immersive FPS games I've played

And is it scary? Well, tell me after you gone through the Library... Damn that place to hell

Dead Space 1, I was up against the necromorph you cannot kill.

I had 20 bullets of my pulse rifle and no stasis.

I don't have many horror games, so Half Life's Ravenholm level. Amazing how a change of scenery can turn fun-to-shoot throwaway enemies into horrifying freaking abominations.

ChrisRedfield92:
Silent Hill 2, the bit where pyramid head is staring at you from the other side of the bars in the hallway, I was 8 years old when I first played it, I had nightmares for days after that.

You know, that wasn't what scared me about that scene. I was used to monsters and creatures appearing in places I couldn't really reach. Things writhing in the distance, etc. But when I came back through there and he was gone?

Fuck me...

Call me crazy, but the derelict Collector Vessel in Mass Effect 2 managed to scare the fuck out of me despite being in full light and not being alone. Somehow, the constant threat of "where the hell is everybody?" combined with the best scary soundtrack ever and EDI's constant "there is something wrong here" managed to hit the right strings.
Seeing a battlefield but not the enemies you are expecting is scarier than hearing random noises all the time to me.

Dead Space tried twice as hard and was half as scary as that single level.

Definitely Amnesia, probably the prison part, I went through that entire place insanely slowly and carefully crouched, so tense.

We don't go to Ravenholm anymore. D:
I don't buy horror games because I don't want to know just how big a pansy I am.

imahobbit4062:
I hear of this all the time, having never played Thief. What exactly makes it so horrifying?

I tried to show it to my girlfriend once. I had it loaded up for all of about 30 seconds and she told me to fuck off and refused to watch any more.

Here's a good bit from a review talking about how helpless you feel...

Cry of Fear. Its a mod for Half Life, just came out not too long ago. Now, I love the FEAR games and Amnesia.....

but this is scarier then ALL of those. Its like...nightmare fuel: the video game. Its terrifying......

look it up and try it out though :D also it has a sweet co-op mode if you want to kill eldritch things with a friend!

The first time I played the F.E.A.R. demo. I wasn't scared throughout, but the game certainly was unnerving. The first enemy I killed was decapitated by my shooting him in the head with a pistol. The nervous breathing in the sewer passage. The strange flickering of my HUD when Alma's projection was near. True terror struck me, however, when I had climbed down a ladder to see Fettel walking right towards me with a knife in his hand and blood around his mouth. Given that he was cannibalizing in the first cutscene, I immediately opened fire on him with my SMG. It was the first time I'd ever started shooting at something in a game out of sheer panic, and mind you, I'd played Half-Life. I was relieved and embarrassed when it only turned out to be an apparition. And then I realized just how awesome the game was for what it had accomplished.

Resdient Evil 3 Nemesis. every fucking time Nemesis came out and started chasing me, because ya know... he's faster than you, stronger than you, tougher than you, and has that totally bullshit 1 hit kill. I'm not saying it was the best RE game, but Nemesis was the only big baddie out of them that felt like he was hunting me down, and that got my blood pumping.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. Only a few parts really scared me. Mostly, the first sewer, with that bloodsucker. I'd never seen one before, and I didn't know it was going to be there. Oh, God, the memories...

The other really scary part was the Red Forest. Only got halfway through before turning right the hell around with my newly acquired sniper rifle. Really scary stuff. Seriously, Cordon and the Bar are the only places I feel even remotely safe.

MrShowerHead:

Have you tried Metro 2033? That game delivers such a good atmosphere, the people living in the metro stations... And of course the tunnels. One of the most immersive FPS games I've played

And is it scary? Well, tell me after you gone through the Library... Damn that place to hell

I'm about 3% into the game. Holy crap. It's really scary, but also really immersive and fun! I'm at that bridge thing, with the radioactive liquid beneath you. I only stopped playing because it was really dark outside, and I got far too scared to carry on then.

BloatedGuppy:

imahobbit4062:
I hear of this all the time, having never played Thief. What exactly makes it so horrifying?

I tried to show it to my girlfriend once. I had it loaded up for all of about 30 seconds and she told me to fuck off and refused to watch any more.

Here's a good bit from a review talking about how helpless you feel...

I remember creeping up behind one of the inmates (or "puppets" I think they might be called), fire arrow at the ready. I assumed that since it was effective against other undead, it would be for these guys. Shot him in the back while he was "unaware" too, which is the standard formula for killing anything in that game. Didn't even leave a scratch and it just turned around and ran at me screaming :D Never experienced a terror like it... Well, perhaps when one was lying on the floor, and I walked over to it thinking it was dead - in an instant it jumped up screaming, which was also horrible >.<

Managed to permanently subdue one through a glitch though: the upper half of its body got stuck in the floor, it's legs straight up in the air. So wonderful! :D I think you can actually kill one by getting it crushed under an elevator, or make it fall down the stairs via an oil slick.

As a "scene", probably fighting Pigsy in the first "Manhunt". That fight scared the shit out of me and my cousin, who was playing the game with me.

As a game, probably "Echo Night: Beyond", which I have mentioned before in these forums. Scary games usually have you with limited or no weapons, but "Echo Night: Beyond" takes it further by putting you inside a bulky spacesuit.

Doom. When I was a wee lad, it scared the poo out of me. The growling, the screaming, the me dying all the time.

The Ocean House in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. You know, the haunted hotel level? If you're playing it for the first time and don't know what to do or where to go it's terrifying. It's still pretty unnerving on later playthroughs as well...

Fatal Frame 3
With the help of my asshole cat, the game quite literally scared the shit out of me.

Recently, Minecraft and Silent Hill Downpour have brought me my labor of chills.

Now, now, Minecraft can be as scary as amnesia, just not the same type. Skulking around a dark dungeon with only one life and nothing else while hearing the slang of arrows hitting a wall behind you, running forward only to be greeted by the walking dead and then hearing boom as soon as you reach your haven. It can get to ya'.

Silent Hill Downpour because its Silent Hill.

Of course "SCARE-A-THON-OF-THE-YEAR" goes to Cry of Fear. The game makes you tense so that a simple head popping up scares you all the more.

OldKingClancy:

Also the Dunwich building in Fallout 3, I flat out refuse to go in there.

YEP.

Personally, I think there are many different ways a game can scare you. It can jump out at you, like Dead Space, which is as effective as it is easy. It can disturb you, like the better moments of Silent Hill (the mannequin room from 3 left me with something like a phobia - and I wasn't even the one playing). It can oppress you, like the Vaults of Fallout 3/New Vegas, which I would say are some of the most terrifying virtual locations ever devised. Or it can make you feel alone, like Metroid, a series which portrays isolation in its atmosphere more hauntingly than anything else I have ever played.

Obviously, which is scariest will be down to personal preference, but I'll say this: I don't like being alone, and I don't like being trapped.

Fallout 3, the Dunwich Building. Entered it while playing at 2 AM, in my dark basement, without knowing what the name referenced. I was creeped out the whole time, with the Ghouls, the visions, and the other shit. And then I found the last journal and got to the Virulent Underchambers. FUCK. THAT.

There's a part earlier on in BioShock in a morgue. One of the rooms has a short corridor, where the lights are flickering and the floor flooded, and you can see a Splicer's shadow every time the light flickers and he's grumbling to himself.

"... Fuck that".

(Turns out that if you do go down there, he disappears and will pop out from a vent or one of the morgue beds in the previous room, as I discovered to my horror on my second playthrough.)

The garden maze in Resident Evil 4...I used to be petrified by dogs, now I'm okay, but those fuckers came out of nowhere, and for the first 10 playthroughs, scared the shit out of me...damn dogs...

There have been some "Oh crap!" moments, but nothing scared me as much as it did with those dogs coming out of nowhere..and being all...tentaclely.....

Pokemon Black cartridge on my GBA when I was in middle school. I think my cousin gave it to me as a joke. I thought he just found a strong pokemon (the ghost) and blew through the game but the ending got me.

When I was a wee lad the Suffering scared the shit out of me. Jet Moto made me turn off the game once cuz I was in the cave level and these eyes appeared in a shadow. That was when I was young tho. Condemned was an amazing experience and the only reason I miss having an Xbox. The second one kinda sucked tho. I had to pause Penumbra so many times and then just ended up quitting on the first wolf. I bashed it's head in with a hammer and then it GOT BACK UP!
Oh and the werewolf in VTM:B made me figuratively poop my pants.

There's this game, Yahtzee made it (it's free if you want to try it), called Seven days a Skeptic which I found on an old disc lying around. I guess what made this 2D indie game so scary to me was that I never expected it to even be scary, I thought it was just a regular space story.

Well there is the part in the game where you first see the killer, terrified me. Can't find the scene but here's a taste of that from a different scene:

So, I'm six.

I'm playing Myst.

I finally get to the third level in Channelwood, with help from Dad. YAY!

I go to the first building I see, and enter, only to have the MOST FECKING HORRIFYING CLOSE UP OF A MOUTH APPEAR IN MIDAIR AND HOWL GIBBERISH AT ME. I wept.

MrShowerHead:

ablac:

Cheers I thought it wasnt meant to be that good. well ill pick it up sometime then.

Catchpa: graveyard shift. Strangely suitable.

Pretty much all of Project Zero.

It's the only game where I've had to occasionally put it down and do something else for a few minutes in between bursts of pant shitting terror.

The second one isn't as scary, but it does still ramp up further into the game when the ghosts get trickier.

I don't know...I really need to think about this one...

Actually, I think the time I was most scared was when I was 12 and playing Pokemon blue (was wandering around the cinnabar lab, very late in the game), and a Wild growlithe used Roar on my beloved Blastoise.

The screen said "Blastoise ran away scared!". I stared in shock at the screen and went "oh no! Did....did I just lose my Blastoise?!?! OHNOOO!!". To my relief, however, he was still in my party, and I realized that Roar just ended wild battles.

Still, can you at least understand why I was freaked out?

Some other moments that freaked me out were:

a) I literally couldn't finish the demo for Amnesia. I saw the first enemy shuffle past a doorway in the distance and went "Oh !@#$ this, I'm not ready" and hit the escape button as if my life depended on it.

b) The EFFING royal tomb in OoT. Where you get the sun's song. I was TERRIFIED of Zombies back then. >_< effing redeads...

c) Etrian Odyssey 1 (a first person dungeon crawler on the DS): There were two scary parts for me. The first one was when this REALLY creepy music kicks in on the third floor, and the game describes this really scary sounding red eyed monster, and how it WILL kill you if you run into it....and then I ran into it by accident and it MURDERED MY PARTY IN TWO TURNS FLAT. And the second time, I was wandering around, admiring this underwater lake...When MORE creepy music came on, and this weird and creepy little girl appeared and said "You shouldn't be here...". Ok, maybe it didn't actually SCARE me, but both those instances were REALLY unsettling.

d) OH!! I just remembered! When I was 13-14 I was playing the demo for Diablo one, and messing around in the first floor. Then, I opened a door and... "AAAAH!! FRESH MEAT!!!". I think I may have screamed, or at least yelped.

Angry_squirrel:

Let me tell you, I haven't been this scared since playing the first Silent Hill back when I was 6. I'll be sleeping with the light on tonight.

YOU PLAYED SILENT HILL WHEN YOU WERE SIX?!?!?!?!? 0_o Why?! How?! Why would you do that to yourself, or did a sibling put you up to it?

Any horror game tends to scare the crap out of me. I usually only play a demo and still can't play the whole thing. However the one game that I -did- finsh was Alan Wake...the atmosphere of the game is just...*shudder*. ANd finding pages from his novel gives you glimpses of what's up ahead. And the anticipation of when it will happen just makes things worse. That said...one specific instance that just completely creeped me out was a level where you can explore cabins for loot and such. I saw one of the enemies walk past the window. Followed by footsteps being hear moving towards the door...then nothing. ANd when I went outside the enemy wasn't there. Spent the rest of the level shining a flashlight into every frigging corner

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked