Games you love, but have never beaten.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Incase anyone hangs around there, I know this thread was already on GT ;)

What game(s) do you love, but have never actually finished? For me this is Sonic The Hedgehog, It was the first game I ever played, around about 12 to 13 years ago, and I have never finished it yet! I still have my Mega Drive hooked up to my HD TV to have a quick blast on it to see if I will get lucky, but I still never finish it.

So what about you guys?

1. The original Donkey Kong. Loved playing it with friends and family. But because I was young back then, I never really sat down just to beat it.

2. Dragon Age:Origins. I always wanted to play a RPG that kind of had a story like LOTR and this was it for me. Raged at the ending because I rushed through the story and in the end my character pretty much sucked @ss. I'm thinking about playing it again from the start now that I have some free time. And actually take my time playing it.

MaxiP62:

What game(s) do you love, but have never actually finished? For me this is Sonic The Hedgehog, It was the first game I ever played, around about 12 to 13 years ago, and I have never finished it yet! I still have my Mega Drive hooked up to my HD TV to have a quick blast on it to see if I will get lucky, but I still never finish it.

So what about you guys?

Man, I remember getting the Mega Drive for Christmas one year. It was the old school one with the headphone slider and grey reset button. It came with the Sonic 1 game and we played the crap out of that game.

It was back in the day where you need the RF adapter to hook up to the TV and tune it in to use it. There was something that messed up the adapter when playing the Green Hill Zone (or whatever the first area was called) since it showed up in black and white, while the rest of the game was in colour.

Back to the topic though, I think it might be Portal. There are a couple of puzzles that really exposed my lack of skill with my friend's Xbox 360 controller. I have it on the Mac now (free for installing Steam!) but I haven't had the time to get back to it much (been playing too much F:NV).

I also don't think my brother and I ever finished Road Rash II on the Mega Drive and we played that until the cows came home. I'm pretty sure the final levels were bugged and impossible to finish. Either way, I'm not sure how it ends.

joe-h2o:

MaxiP62:

So what about you guys?

Man, I remember getting the Mega Drive for Christmas one year. It was the old school one with the headphone slider and grey reset button. It came with the Sonic 1 game and we played the crap out of that game.

It was back in the day where you need the RF adapter to hook up to the TV and tune it in to use it. There was something that messed up the adapter when playing the Green Hill Zone (or whatever the first area was called) since it showed up in black and white, while the rest of the game was in colour.

Hell yeah! Still used the RF adapter until recently! Made me feel so young again ;)

Silent hill 2 . Never beat it , because of the awsome atmosphere . I don't know why , i know it's a game , but i get so into it , i really ge scared . It is the ONLY game to scare me to such a point .

Thats the only game i can think of .

Space Rangers 2 would be one, but that's a sandbox game. There's a lot to do besides the main objective, so I've never gotten around to beating it. I should get back to it at some point.

I've also never finished the Protoss campaing in Starcraft (or any of the campaings in Brood War).

I got stuck in Star Control 2 (twice), not knowing what I have to do, but it really is such an awesome game that I should try again. You know what, I think I'll go and install it right now.

Amnesia The Dark Descent -I got stuck and didn't feel like looking up a walkthrough.

Gears of War 3 -bought it on a sale with my friend, was going to play the story coop with him.......fast forward half a year....still havent touched the campaign (played beast/horde mode for a week when I bought it though). I need some new goddam friends.

Hunted: The Demon's Forge -really fun coop hack and slash........played the first level then........again, friend got bored. I need new friends.

Saints Row the Third -really fun coop.....

Lord of the Rings: War in the North.......

Dead Island......

see where this is going?

Don Savik:

You honestly weren't missing a lot with this one and it was a pain to play multi-player without any character level balancing options.

I've still not finished Fable3, just ran out of caring about it I guess but keep meaning to go back.

onegirlgaming:

Don Savik:

You honestly weren't missing a lot with this one and it was a pain to play multi-player without any character level balancing options.

I've still not finished Fable3, just ran out of caring about it I guess but keep meaning to go back.

Its pretty basic as far as games go and I get that, but I like Lord of the Rings and I'm a sucker for coop games....

...which is funny because I have like 2 friends, none of which like to play them when I want to play them :C

This is a long list for me because I have a terrible habit of never finishing things. LA Noire is a big one, I got to the second to last case in the game and just never finished it.

Also Fatal Frame 3, got to the last boss and couldn't beat her. Same case in Resident Evil 5.

Assasin's Creed 1 and 2. Like, I legitimately got very close to the end in both of them and never actually finished.

Zelda: Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

I think I have the attention span of a schizophrenic chipmunk.

museofdoom:
This is a long list for me because I have a terrible habit of never finishing things. LA Noire is a big one, I got to the second to last case in the game and just never finished it.

Also Fatal Frame 3, got to the last boss and couldn't beat her. Same case in Resident Evil 5.

Assasin's Creed 1 and 2. Like, I legitimately got very close to the end in both of them and never actually finished.

Zelda: Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

I think I have the attention span of a schizophrenic chipmunk.

You should finish Skyward Sword, the second half of the game is probably the best!

MaxiP62:

You should finish Skyward Sword, the second half of the game is probably the best!

I know, I really should! I was in the last half of the game too. I just haven't felt like playing it I guess haha

museofdoom:

MaxiP62:

I know, I really should! I was in the last half of the game too. I just haven't felt like playing it I guess haha

Fair enough! I played it and nothing else until I completed it the first time round, I liked it a bit too much! On my second playthrough I've realised it's not as great as I first thought.

That would probably be Rayman and Klonoa.

The latter I have never played past the first boss because I was too dumb to figure out how to save back then. The former I have downloaded recently but decided to quit because it was way too hard and frustrating.

I look forward to the day the latter comes on the PSN. IF it ever comes on there that is.

Okami and Ico. Loved them both, especially Okami, but there's always something that stops me from finishing, and I don't really know why.

Oh, and there's also:

Homeworld 2
Black & White (no, not the Pokémon one)
Valkyria Chronicles
Star Ocean 4
The Saboteur

Final Fantasy IX and XII. Love those games, but never finished them completely.

Also The Last Remnant, but I like it to a lesser extent. Still liked it.

Devil May Cry 3, as well. Love those games, but I couldn't beat the first big enemy you come across.

Mainly oldie NES games. I have gotten to the final boss of all 3 of the original Ninja Gaiden games but I will never beat any of them.

To see just one reason why, try typing 'Levels From Hell Ninja Gaiden' into Youtube.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Operation Flashpoint.

I think anyone who is familiarized with these games will understand.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth -- I got the infamous 'coral reef bug', still got past it anyway, but I just felt sick of it anyway. When they took away your weapons and you stealth in those impossible caverns, I just said fuck it
Fallout 3 Broken Steel -- I just had no interest
Skyrim -- lost interest when I realized my computer can't run it well, plus I hated how everything leveled up with you and made you feel powerless
Oblivion -- can't go back to it after playing Skyrim
Mass Effect -- just lost interest near the end, didn't feel like I was amounting to anything getting done, plus the shooting was annoying
Borderlands -- singleplayer is boring after a point, it's hard to get everyone together to beat the campaign with multiplayer

inb4 Mass Effect 3

Gonna go with STALKER on this one. I enjoy that game in small doses, because every now and then something pisses me off enough to make me stop playing for a while.

Dark Souls.

I really love that game, but every time I get around to playing it I don't have the patience to get far since I'm dying like crazy. After I die and leave the game I won't touch it for a few days since I'm still annoyed by my lacking of progress.

Mother 3. I have tried *4* times, it one of the only TBC I like, but every damn time my computer resets, and I've forgotten to back up the data, and I have to start from scratch.

Also, Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII. Huh... TBC games are unlucky around me. And Fallout: New Vegas. When it gets a steam sale I'll correct that (PS3 version made it *very* painful to try and complete).

FireyDoom:
1. The original Donkey Kong. Loved playing it with friends and family. But because I was young back then, I never really sat down just to beat it.

2. Dragon Age:Origins. I always wanted to play a RPG that kind of had a story like LOTR and this was it for me. Raged at the ending because I rushed through the story and in the end my character pretty much sucked @ss. I'm thinking about playing it again from the start now that I have some free time. And actually take my time playing it.

Well the original Donkey Kong is a pretty tough game to beat, ain't it? First, to not cheat, you need the original arcade machine with factory settings. I don't think the NES version even has an ending. Not that the Arcade does. The only 'ending' there is is the kill screen. And with Donkey Kong, that's a bitch to get.

In the european/US release it's on the 22nd stage, 117th screen, while in japan the screen is number 85. Not many people who have done that exist. Billy Mitchell and Steve Weibe being two, if I recall correctly.

Never got around to beating Duke Nukem Forever (cause it kinda sucks and the water level is broken), Dragon Age: Origins Deus Ex HR... on the last two I was just too lazy, for the record.

Fallout New Vegas (I crashed while playing it)

Catherine (That damn 6th night boss is so annoying -.-)

Bayonetta (Really want to like the game but after just a little bit of time playing it I just cannot take much more of it)

Oblivion (I love RPGs but for some reason I cannot stand having too much freedome to go where I want so early.)

Batman Arkham City (Same as Oblivion, too much freedom and too many Riddler items to get)

Infamous 2 (Loved the first game and one of the reasons I bought a PS3 but then after getting like 75% complete, the game freezes on one mission and it is a main mission so I cannot go on without completing the mission)

Kingdom of Amalur (Love the concept but it feels too easy)

Lost kingdoms both the first and second games, never killed the final bosses on either of them!

Okami is one that immediately springs to mind... Got to the final dungeon and just stopped playing for some reason. Don't know why. I still look back at my time with the game with fondness though. There are many others (BG&E, LoZ::MM, to name a few), but that is the first one that springs to mind.

Is it too early to count Skyrim :P

In all seriousness, though, for several years I fell back on Fable 1, depsite it being one of my favorite games of all time. I finally beat it quite recently, though.

Final Fantasy X

Jedoro:
inb4 Mass Effect 3

well actually I haven't finished ma-
Damn. I've done about half of it, but because I recently got a whole load of other games to play (okami, FF7, all good stuff) I never actually finished it. I'm sure I will at some point though, enjoying it a whole lot.
Other than that, well, there's a whole load. Super meat boy is the one that springs to mind. The difficulty spikes up to insanity after you beat the final boss (not the end of the game, though) and I just couldn't do it.

It still torments my soul that i never finished Primal, i made it all the way to the last boss fight years ago, but i could never beat it.

Dark Cloud. got right up to the last boss, But could NOT beat him. its a shame, I loved that game too.

Well, let's see... I started up both Half-Life and [Prototype] the day after Christmas ([Prototype] I actually bought, though) and still have yet to finish them. In Half-Life, I just blown up a couple guys where were talking about how much they hate Gordon Freeman (absolutely adored that scene!) and I've launched a random rocket! [Prototype], I've put over 24 hours into (I have these games on Steam, so, it tells me things) and I'm still not done. I'm not quite used to the sandbox genre, just yet. I took out this "Supreme Leader" not too long ago and I'm still looking for Dana.

Yes, I know, I've had these games for around three or four months and still haven't finished them! They are the main two games I'm trying to plow through, on top of making webcomics and DeviantART submissions. But, hey, I've also got...

VVVVVV. I got stuck. Early. This game is so weird.

LIMBO. I got stuck. Checked a guide. facepalmed at what I needed to do to get across that little pond. ...just in time to get killed by a giant spider. I was wondering when they'd come in. Stuck again.

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest. I'm... somewhere in there.

Donkey Kong 64. I'm trying to get every last blueprint (only two left) before I go back to Hideout Helm. I tried before, but couldn't figure out where to go next after a while. I couldn't seem to find a minigame barrel for Diddy Kong.

Banjo-Tooie. Well, sort of. I've beaten Gruntilda (Winkybunion) three times. But, I just can't seem to get all 90 jiggies. And, yet, I have been able to get all 100 in Banjo-Kazooie just fine... several times...

Zombies ate my Neighbors. "My" neighbors are stupid. This game is so hard. I think I'm stuck on the giant baby level. It's been a while.

Super Mario World. While I've defeated Bowser, I'm still trying to get all the other extra levels unlocked, along with those power blocks and Yoshi skins.

Super Mario 64. Just a few more stars and I can fight Bowser for the third and final time!

Sonic 3-D Blast. I just now realized this. I haven't played it in ages and never beat the final boss.

Sonic Adventure 2. Well, not on my save file, at least. I'm trying to get all those A rankings before I start the Last Episode. perfect rankings in Sonic Adventure 2? The hardest one to do that in? Oh, boy. I'm in trouble...

007: GoldenEye. Bit stuck. This game is built rather poorly and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The World is not Enough was far more advanced, a lot more fun and felt much more 007 to me.

Doom. The first-person shooter of legend!

Quake. It's like Doom, but a little better, actually, and with a bit of CastleVania to it.

Quake II. It's like Quake, but... Wait... Why the heck am I in space?

Duke Nukem 64. Duke Nukem 3-D... censored. It was the only version I could find.

Fire Emblem. My personal favorite RPG so far.

Perfect Dark. For some reason... I can't get out of the base... out of the training! I want to start the game! These lessons make no sense and won't comply with me! But, that's not the worst of it.

Final Fantasy. I can't beat the main menu. I'm horrible.

Arcanum: Of Magick and Steamworks Obscura
I got myself stuck in a cave because an unbeatable ogre comes walking up whenever I want to exit it. I tried a lot of ways (yay for old-school WRPG freedom) to get out, but I never managed to.

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines
Currently I can't travel from any location to the Downtown area, as that makes my game crash. And that's with the fan-made patch applied, so there's not much else I can do. I tried reinstalling it and all that jazz, but nothing worked. Damn shame really, I adore that game.

Amnesia: Dark Descent
I love it because it's too spooky for me. Yeah...

Zelda: The Minish Cap
I never could get past that final boss for some reason.

KotOR 1 and 2
I...don't really know why, come to think of it.

Most of my Xbox games
Because my Xbox died before I finished the majority of my games, like AC2 despite being about half an hour of gameplay away from the ending. *sigh*

Come to think of it, I have the issue I have with KotOR with quite a few games. I get something, I end up really liking it, and yet there's a point I just quit playing it and barely, if ever, look at it again.

Final Fantasy III, the remake for DS. I can never get all those mini-bosses at the end before the final boss. I didn't even realize their existence, to be honest, and had a silly quantity of times rushed into the Dark Cloud and thus my obvious and foolish doom.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here