No one Rags on Steam: why?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Stilt:

I did mention the shadow processes by saying that it wouldnt shut down. I would exit (control q, click x button or right click select exit for those of you who think I dont know how to exit a program), but then theres all these shadow processes running in the background that I have to indivdually seek and destroy. Also, what other program assumes that you want it to start the fuck up everytime you start your computer, without telling you that its going to do that in the first place? Viruses, and dicksih programs.

But we've allready established that those were things that can actualy be changed. Admitidly, it starts up assuming you want to load it as soon as you start the PC up, but that's more conveniance then shadowy buissness practices. Still, I understand, given that you apparantly had no idea that you could change the setting untill after everyone told you. As for shadow processes, what shadow processes do you mean? Serious question, because I personaly can't find any.

ummmmm....What?

First off, you do realise that a lot of programs put themselves on your startup list. All you need to do is uncheck it if you don't want that to happen.
If you're unable to properly close something then that's your own damn fault for not knowing the basics of computing.

I don't hate Steam because I have no reason to. It makes a convenient storage area for my games and I often get a nice discount.

SajuukKhar:

Stilt:
Steam is one of the most butt fucking invasive programs out there, it starts up everytime you turn your computer on,

You can just go into the steam options and turn that off

Stilt:
and hides in the background like a little shit.

Because a visible icon in your taskbar that you can just right-click and hit exit is hiding?

Stilt:
And even when you try to exit the thing, it still runs in the background being a pain in the ass.

No it doesn't

Stilt:
Finally, they make it a bitch to uninstall.

start, control panel, programs and features, click Steam, hit uninstall

JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PROGRAM, no other steps required.

Again, why does it assume that I want it to boot up with my system everytime without asking me or letting me know its going to do that? Its fuckin shady.

2. Im talking about the phantom processes that keep running even after you exit it (not closr it)

3. It takes about 10 minutes to uninstall on my rig which is brand new, 6 cores 2 terabytes all the ram i could ever need, and it still hangs on the last few percentages for 5 minutes as if baiting me to hit the cancel button. Its a pain in the ass

Why don't people rag on it? It works, it does it's thing and it doesn't derp too hard too often and it has good deals.

TAGM:

Stilt:

I did mention the shadow processes by saying that it wouldnt shut down. I would exit (control q, click x button or right click select exit for those of you who think I dont know how to exit a program), but then theres all these shadow processes running in the background that I have to indivdually seek and destroy. Also, what other program assumes that you want it to start the fuck up everytime you start your computer, without telling you that its going to do that in the first place? Viruses, and dicksih programs.

But we've allready established that those were things that can actualy be changed. Admitidly, it starts up assuming you want to load it as soon as you start the PC up, but that's more conveniance then shadowy buissness practices. Still, I understand, given that you apparantly had no idea that you could change the setting untill after everyone told you. As for shadow processes, what shadow processes do you mean? Serious question, because I personaly can't find any.

Is it really for convenience? Becaus eit seems to me if they only cared about your convenience, then they would you know, let you fucking know about it before they went ahead and did it

'No one rags on Steam, why?'

Why, do we need to?

(wellp, that's the first time I've ever edited a comment to insert a comma.)

Realitycrash:

Abandon4093:

Realitycrash:

You know, calling other people a troll (which I am pretty sure you are doing) is against the rules (goes under "Flaming").
So, maybe something to consider..

Herp derp ignores entire post herp derp.

'

Yeah, that's ALSO against the forum-rules. I was merely pointing your that it isn't in your best interest to call others a troll.

Did I call them a troll? What believe I did is ask them a question.

You also ignored the entire post before that rationalised the question.

Stilt:
Is it really for convenience? Becaus eit seems to me if they only cared about your convenience, then they would you know, let you fucking know about it before they went ahead and did it

I asume it's for convenience for the simple fact that they actualy let you change it. If it was for shady buissness practices and whatnot, do you think they'd let you change it? Probably not. And also, still waiting on examples of the shadow processes.

Nouw:
Honestly the only problem I have is the fact that you have to be online to do offline mode. What the fuck? Otherwise, it's great.

You do the first time, but if you have Steam save your log in details it will log into offline mode without needing to start it online first.

That's not helpful if you're on a shared computer and don't want to save your password, though.

OT: Essentially OP is complaining about the program being rubbish because he doesn't know how to run a PC. 2 seconds spent googling this would tell you that you can stop it from running on boot.

And OP also seems to suggests that buying lots of games cheap is somehow a bad thing O.o

Nimzabaat:
1. Welcome to the Internet. Seriously if you can't find a ten year old game for free you're not looking hard enough. There's abandonware sites all over the place.

So in other words, piracy is involved. Got it.

2. You should look up "relevant" in a dictionary.

His point was that Steam doesn't stream games to you. They run from your hard drive. It's relevant because you tried to claim otherwise.

3. Read all the other posts is you want examples. For me, Steam blocked Half-Life, Sin Episodes Part 1, and Team Fortress.

Why were they blocked? I have a hard time believing it was as random as you'd like us to believe. Not that it matters since all we'll ever have to go on is your word.

4. Unless something has changed in the last five years, you're not looking hard enough.

How hard would you think he should look? Not being in the task manager is a pretty clear sign it isn't running. Perhaps something has changed in the last five years. It's not like Steam hasn't had several major updates in that time.

6. Once again, lots of comments in this string complaining about the same problem. I had a great anti-virus program but got about half a dozen let through via Steam. Then when I tried uninstalling Steam I had to format my hard drive to get rid of it. Since my more tech-savvy friends were there to help with that they ended up not giving Steam a chance at all so I don't have any more personal experiences to relate.

Even the best anti-virus can't catch everything, and will always be at the mercy of the users skill level. I'm not trying to say that you don't know what you're doing, but honestly, I've never heard of this happening. And in the 8 or 9 years I've been using Steam I've never had an issue either. Honestly, if there were known and widespread problems with the service letting viruses through, I would think it would be quite well known by now.

I have no beef with Steam but that does not mean I can't see that it does have real issues.

First Steam DOES hang around when you close it down. When I shut down my computer Steam is always the last program to let go, it is the ONLY program that brings up the Windows Force Shutdown box, it's only for a few seconds though but Steam has ALWAYS done this irrespective of what computer I have run it on.

Second Steam has a known issue where it will crash your router and kick you off the internet when you first log in. The server update it does when you first log in overloads your router and forces it to reset.

Third it is slow, it has gotten to a point where shopping is anybodies guess on weather you will finished the process or not, the most likely issue is connection time outs or other unexplained connection errors.

Everything else is mostly bunk, it's easy to stop it starting at boot, it's easy to remove, it isn't that resource heavy and the things that are annoying about I have either solved by looking at the Steam help desk or forums or just aren't a big enough issue to rage on Steam as a whole compared to the benefits of using it.

So yes Steam does have issues but nothing in life is perfect deal with it and move on or rage about it and sneer at the fanboys who defend it.

Nimzabaat:
1. Welcome to the Internet. Seriously if you can't find a ten year old game for free you're not looking hard enough. There's abandonware sites all over the place.

You should look up "abandonware". I don't think it means what you think it means. For one - it's not just "free games" it's games that cannot actually be sold. Go ahead, show me how can I get a free copy of Might and Magic 5. Or 8. Or 9. I'll also like Half-Life for free plz. And StarCraft.

I'll wait, don't worry.

(By the way, I can find them for free, just not, you know, legally)

Nimzabaat:

Neither you nor fenrizz used that word before this point. I think you are the one misusing it.

Nimzabaat:
3. Read all the other posts is you want examples. For me, Steam blocked Half-Life, Sin Episodes Part 1, and Team Fortress.

So-o-o, anecdotal evidence should apply to everybody?

Nimzabaat:
4. Unless something has changed in the last five years, you're not looking hard enough.

"Look you can't disprove me because you don't know what I'm talking about. Also, neither do I but at least that means I won."

Nimzabaat:
6. Once again, lots of comments in this string complaining about the same problem. I had a great anti-virus program but got about half a dozen let through via Steam. Then when I tried uninstalling Steam I had to format my hard drive to get rid of it. Since my more tech-savvy friends were there to help with that they ended up not giving Steam a chance at all so I don't have any more personal experiences to relate.

Anecdotal evidence again. And I would seriously not call your friend "tech savvy" if you had to wipe your hard drive to uninstall something. I say you didn't know what you were doing and now you're blaming Steam.

(proof, by the way, proof)

Abandon4093:

Realitycrash:

Abandon4093:

Herp derp ignores entire post herp derp.

'

Yeah, that's ALSO against the forum-rules. I was merely pointing your that it isn't in your best interest to call others a troll.

From what I saw, you pretty much asked if said person was a known troll. Though maybe you don't think Zeel is a troll, and just someone who has a lot of controversial opinions. That's what I chose to point out, because I grow tired of watching more and more people on these forums call other people trolls.
If this isn't the case, then you have done nothing wrong, and don't need to be upset. And yes, I did ignore your entire post, because it wasn't what I aimed my query at.

Abandon4093:

Stilt:
Steam is one of the most butt fucking invasive programs out there, it starts up everytime you turn your computer on, and hides in the background like a little shit. And even when you try to exit the thing, it still runs in the background being a pain in the ass. Finally, they make it a bitch to uninstall.

1: you can stop it from starting when you turn on, you just have to look in the options.

2: When you exit it, you exit it. It doesn't hang around in the background.

3: Yea, I'll give you that one. Going to the control panel and accessing the hard to find 'add/remove program' hidden option is a really complicated process. I might need to take a course in it or something.

So am I the only one who cares about any of this, or is everyone too busy buying 800 games for 10 dollars and then never playing any of them? Or forcing themselves to play them to feel like they got their money's worth?

Sure there are things I don't like about steam, mostly that people have to have it to play certain games, and that the start in offline function is broken as fuck.

I just don't complain about problems it doesn't actually have.

Are you Zeal? I mean everyone said you were when you made that Journey thread. But I didn't completely disagree with you there, I thought you made some good points... But then you make an outright lie thread.... Sooooo.

Ill fucking say it again, why isn't steam upfront about turning itself on everytime you turn on your computer? WHy isnt there an option to turn it off during installation or right after? Why hide it from people?

2) Trojan.Win32.FakeAV!E2 found that after downloading tropico
3) dont tell me Ive started a lie thread when everything Ive said is true. And what the fuck is a zeel?

Stilt:
Again, why does it assume that I want it to boot up with my system everytime without asking me or letting me know its going to do that? Its fuckin shady.

I'm pretty sure you get the option around when the installation finishes. I know I had.

Stilt:
2. Im talking about the phantom processes that keep running even after you exit it (not closr it)

What, which one? Are you talking about the service or something else?

Steam: Occupies very little resources, huge catalogue, great sales, user-friendly, easy to buy games, supports modding, only sends off basic info on your hardware and installed programs - if you agree to it.

Origin: Doesn't give a fuck if you tell it to install games to a specific directory in the options. Doesn't give a fuck if you tell it to keep game installers. It does whatever the fuck it wants and then uses 15% CPU usage when you finish playing your game (might be fixed now). Also only allows you to change username once per week. Doesn't have the best pricing. Has a vague fucking EULA that means they can pretty much scan your hard drive and send all that info off, including any important info like, say, saved banking info.

Retail stores: Give a whopping $5 off for buying used (if possible). Otherwise, no benefits. Requires going to store, being near other humans, and going home. You're risking your life every time you buy from a retail store! Also, usually requires Steam or now Origin anyway.

Others: I've bought games from Direct 2 Drive, GoG, some euro online company... at best the games just need a CD key, but normally they still require Steam anyway so might as well just buy it there unless there is a big price difference.

I get annoyed that I have to use it, but I've also bought 100 games/DLC packs for under $400, and I've gotten hours and hours of enjoyment out of the games. Some were bought and never really played, but they were only a couple bucks and more of a "Eh, this might be cool some day" kind of purchase.

Realitycrash:

Abandon4093:

Realitycrash:
'

From what I saw, you pretty much asked if said person was a known troll. Though maybe you don't think Zeel is a troll, and just someone who has a lot of controversial opinions. That's what I chose to point out, because I grow tired of watching more and more people on these forums call other people trolls.
If this isn't the case, then you have done nothing wrong, and don't need to be upset. And yes, I did ignore your entire post, because it wasn't what I aimed my query at.

Ah so that what zeel is, i was getting confused. What is their obsession with him? If he was a troll why didnt you just ignore him instead of giving him fame? Tbh honest anyone calling me zeel can go sod themselves, it seems to me like everyone is hoping and praying that Im Zeel, well sorry to disappoint you flame seeking ragetards

1. Indeed. You said "those games" are everywhere for free.
I've picked up Football Manager 2012, Fallout 3 GOTY, Civilization III, Metro 2033 and loads more at heavily discounted prices (between 50 and 75% off).
These games are not available for free, nor are they abandonware.
Perhaps some games are available for free, but most of Steams offers are not.

2. You said Steam streams my games to me.
Makes the point relevant.

3. Why were they blocked? Out of thin air? Was the issue corrected?
You made the argument, so it naturally falls to you to find credible evidence for this.
I've done a quick google search and all I could find was something about PC Guard blocking Steam games.

4. Launched Steam, exited Steam and looked in task manager, still no Steam.
If you have some insight into where I might find it lingering about, do tell me and I'll have another look.

5. Yeah, that god damn boat thing annoyed me too.

6. Did another quick google search, and came up empty handed.
Found something about certain antivirus programs labeling some Steam games as viruses though.

I've never had any viruses on my rig, except for one I got trough facebook but that is hardly Steams fault.
Again I'd like some credible sources on this.

Buretsu:
So you're basically saying that all of your knowledge of Steam is 5 years outdated?

Absolutely. I refuse to use Steam or any drm heavy program (including Origin). I'm just stating why. I'm also stating why in an "in my experience" kind of way. Which, i guess, is "anecdotal". Which, oddly, also describes each and every one of the comments in this post for and against Steam. Funny how that works.

DoPo:

Stilt:

I'm pretty sure you get the option around when the installation finishes. I know I had.

Stilt:

What, which one? Are you talking about the service or something else?

ive installed and uninstalled steam a thousand times and not once did i ever get the option during installation so maybe you have the considerate edition of steam

Stilt:

Dude that was a false positive. I'm sorry to break it to you but your AV was shit.

Nimzabaat:

Buretsu:
So you're basically saying that all of your knowledge of Steam is 5 years outdated?

Absolutely. I refuse to use Steam or any drm heavy program (including Origin). I'm just stating why. I'm also stating why in an "in my experience" kind of way. Which, i guess, is "anecdotal". Which, oddly, also describes each and every one of the comments in this post for and against Steam. Funny how that works.

what you mean you cant craft a response that vicariously absorbs all of our experiences that pleases everyone and even finishes?! Shock

Nimzabaat:

fenrizz:

Nimzabaat:
Yes Steam offers great games for low prices. Mind you those games are free everywhere else but Steam streams them to you for a fee!

Steam also offers a great service in that they let hackers and viruses bypass your anti-virus and firewalls! That service is free when you download Steam. Oh but never try to uninstall Steam!

Steam also randomly blocks you from accessing content that you've paid for! Because Steam cares for you, thanks you for your money, and thinks you should be outside talking to girls or something.

Steam can be turned off so that it doesn't run on startup. Just don't look in your task manager and you'll believe that. (honestly, people think that hasn't been tried? Steam is a virus)

The honest truth is that the Escapist is full of Valve fanboys. This is the only website i've encountered that has such a unreasoning love for Valve and Steam. Seriously, one great game doesn't account for a decade or adoration.

1. I'd like to know where you get all these games for free, because I have never seen it.
Is there piracy involved in getting these free games?

2. You should look up "streaming" in a dictionary.

3. I have never experienced Steam randomly blocking my content for no reason.
Would you care to provide specific examples and sources?

4. Launched Steam, exited Steam and no Steam anywhere to be found in my task manager.

5. Yeah, Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are overrated games that I never cared much for.
That does not make Steam a bad service though.

EDIT:
Missed a point there.

6. I have never read any reports of Steam allowing things to bypass my firewall and anti-virus.
I shall do a quick google search to see if I find any examples.
In the meantime would you be kind a come up with an example or two?
And do provide proper sources.

5. Well I really liked Half Life. Half-Life 2 did seem pretty overrated. Okay I just got sick of the boat thing. I got REALLY sick of the boat thing. Other parts were good though.

and the winner is . . . Namzabaat by a country mile! That sounded like a debate between Johnny cochraine and joey from friends

Stilt:

Nimzabaat:

fenrizz:

1. I'd like to know where you get all these games for free, because I have never seen it.
Is there piracy involved in getting these free games?

2. You should look up "streaming" in a dictionary.

3. I have never experienced Steam randomly blocking my content for no reason.
Would you care to provide specific examples and sources?

4. Launched Steam, exited Steam and no Steam anywhere to be found in my task manager.

5. Yeah, Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are overrated games that I never cared much for.
That does not make Steam a bad service though.

EDIT:
Missed a point there.

6. I have never read any reports of Steam allowing things to bypass my firewall and anti-virus.
I shall do a quick google search to see if I find any examples.
In the meantime would you be kind a come up with an example or two?
And do provide proper sources.

5. Well I really liked Half Life. Half-Life 2 did seem pretty overrated. Okay I just got sick of the boat thing. I got REALLY sick of the boat thing. Other parts were good though.

and the winner is . . . Namzabaat by a country mile! That sounded like a debate between Johnny cochraine and joey from friends

Biased judge is biased.

Versuvius:
Steam is awesome. Steam has sales. Steam manages my Skyrim mods. Steam asks if i want to give valve data and i can say no. Steam doesn't strip all your games off you for one infarction in a shitty shooters forum. Valve/steam refund and replace things and don't tell you to suck a dick like say, EA. Steam is great, i love my steam, and anyone who disagrees is a silly person.

This is such total bullshit and I'm sick of it, I bought not one but two games on Steam that did not work at all and customer support response was along the lines of "no refunds, no exceptions" and then some copypasted BS about how they would "love to help fix the problem" despite the following text indicating that they didn't even read my request, while the two times I needed to contact EA support the response was quick and helpful.

OT: I love how everyone is going 'but the salesss" ignoring the fact that almost all of the normal daily sales are either on games that were cheep in the first place, or games that are terrible and not even worth the discounted price, not to mention that the program itself is unstable, resource hungry, slow, and has terrible servers that drag the whole thing to a screaming halt if there is above average traffic, ect. as well as much more petty personal reasons for me to hate anything by valve (mostly that I can't stand that fucking smug prick Gabe Newell, and that IMO the skyrim mod manager is inferior in every way to the nexus mod manager)but for all that I still use steam. why? because they have a near monopoly on the DD market and if you want to game on the PC you almost need to be willing to but up with steam.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of steam (for reasons already posted in this thread) BUT:

Stilt:

It's not shady. It's a rule of development called "Make the common case fast", in this case, the "common case" is players wanting to start the game, and play it. This means not having to wait around while a month's worth of updates are downloaded because it's been that long since you've run Steam. Running in the background has it downloading updates ahead of time.

3. It takes about 10 minutes to uninstall on my rig which is brand new, 6 cores 2 terabytes all the ram i could ever need, and it still hangs on the last few percentages for 5 minutes as if baiting me to hit the cancel button. Its a pain in the ass

If you're running a brand new rig, odds are you're running Windows 7, which has some VERY weird issues, probably related to the Vista+ security model. The system is full of race conditions and bottlenecks. It's not uncommon to install a game, then go to install the update (downloaded ahead of time, like any conscientious gamer should do!) as soon as you're done, but when you try to run it, you get a sharing error ("file XXX is in use") even though the install process has ended.

Multiply that by all the libraries and hooks that a DRM system will need, and you have a probable cause for your slowdowns.

OpenOffice does the same thing, BTW.

Stilt:

Abandon4093:

Stilt:
Steam is one of the most butt fucking invasive programs out there, it starts up everytime you turn your computer on, and hides in the background like a little shit. And even when you try to exit the thing, it still runs in the background being a pain in the ass. Finally, they make it a bitch to uninstall.

1: you can stop it from starting when you turn on, you just have to look in the options.

3: Yea, I'll give you that one. Going to the control panel and accessing the hard to find 'add/remove program' hidden option is a really complicated process. I might need to take a course in it or something.

So am I the only one who cares about any of this, or is everyone too busy buying 800 games for 10 dollars and then never playing any of them? Or forcing themselves to play them to feel like they got their money's worth?

Sure there are things I don't like about steam, mostly that people have to have it to play certain games, and that the start in offline function is broken as fuck.

Are you Zeal? I mean everyone said you were when you made that Journey thread. But I didn't completely disagree with you there, I thought you made some good points... But then you make an outright lie thread.... Sooooo.

Ill fucking say it again, why isn't steam upfront about turning itself on everytime you turn on your computer? WHy isnt there an option to turn it off during installation or right after? Why hide it from people?

3) dont tell me Ive started a lie thread when everything Ive said is true. And what the fuck is a zeel?

1)Q: Why is my antivirus and firewall so devious. It didn't tell me during the installation process that it was going to startup when I turned my PC on.

A: Because it takes 2 minutes to turn that off if you so choose (just like steam) if you have even minor knowledge of PC's.

2: I can't speak for you, but no one I know has complained about steam ever installing trojans. And judging by your inability to take programs out of the startup. I'd wager they know more about PC's than you.

3) But they are lies. They are factually incorrect.

I'll point out there flaws again if you like. I'll even bold out the parts that are completely untrue.

Stilt:
Steam is one of the most butt fucking invasive programs out there, it starts up everytime you turn your computer on, (Unless you, you know... stop it from doing that.)

and hides in the background like a little shit. And even when you try to exit the thing, it still runs in the background being a pain in the ass. (Factually incorrect, when you exit steam the process terminates.)

Finally, they make it a bitch to uninstall. (Factually incorrect, simply go to Control Panel>Add/remove programs and run the uninstall process. Then go to program files and delete whatever this process neglected to remove. As is the protocol for everything you uninstall.)

Your first point ignores a simple fix and the second two outright lie.

Vkmies:

Stilt:

ResonanceGames:
I love how the OP even tries to twist the amazing sales into a bad thing.

It's fair enough to not like Steam, but don't pretend its mild annoyances aren't completely overshadowed by multiple advantages, including cheap prices, automatic updates, built-in community features, infinite downloads, a huge selection, and indie-friendly advertising that doesn't just focus on AAA games.

People generally don't rag on Steam because Steam is generally a good service. There isn't a whole lot else to read into it.

And don't forget that it wasn't always that way. Steam was almost universally hated for at least its first two years. Valve had to earn the goodwill, it wasn't there from day one.

When you buy 10 games at once, how many do you end up finishing? Probably just the one you specifically wanted in the first place, im willing to bet 80% of the games hardly get touched. Its just a cheap gimmick to create the illusion of value when in reality it costs them nothing to throw in a bunch of third rate or 10 yr old games that no one will ever buy on their own

"BRAAAAAH! HOW DARE YOU GIVE ME ALOT OF GREAT GAMES FOR LITTLE MONEY! I'D MUCH RATHER BUY THEM FROM WAL-MART FOR 60 BUCKS A PIECE!"

The fact that YOU do not like to get 10 games for 5 bucks, is your own god damn problem, but it is certainly not a fucking NEGATIVE point, now, is it? What a stupid argument.

I sense a troll in this thread. Pretty sure you are here just for stirring up controversy, but let's play along anyway.

Not only were all of your points incorrect, you ignore all the great it does. Some of the biggest is communication and communities through gaming, doing DRM the good way, so others don't have to try and MOST OF ALL, it gives more visibility to original indie games, and even bigger studios can develop more risky projects, because you can release them on steam for relativelly cheap, not having to pay for physical manufacturing or shipping around the world.

What a stupid, stupid argument. Steam was bad when it came out because it had no games and barely worked. Now, that it has fixed both of those problems, it is great and only does good for gaming. So shut up.

BRAH NO NEED TO GET BRO-EY BRAH
Its a negative when all those games suck and you will never play them anyway. It doesnt affect me in any meaningful way since I have the sense not to buy 10 shitty flash games that I will never olay, but nonetheless it irritates me to know that many people throw their money away w/o thinking because its a DEEEEEEEEEEEL

"it gives more visibility to original indie games, and even bigger studios can develop more risky projects, because you can release them on steam for relativelly cheap"
-you

I personally loathe the indie games market, almost as much as I hate the Blockbuster market. I wish game development would return to the 90's mentality where production costs were more realistic. Indie games are almost always one or two stupid gimmicks in a cheap and super short game that also manages to be repetitive. Otherwise the rest are just sidescroll beatmups, tower defense (please kill this genre), and generic space shooters. The only indie game that makes sense to me is the puzzle game, because puzzle games can be good on a shoestring.

But for example, trine got a huge amount of press, for what? Is anyone still playing this gimmick? Did anyone really want trine 2? Does anyone really want trine 3? I mean come on, i would honestly rather be doing anything but playing trine but that me

Iwata:
I do.

I've alraedy detailed here how they arbitrarily locked me out of my account (and I'm as adamantly anti-piracy as one can be) and thus pretty much robbed me of hundreds of €€€ of legaly-bought games.

I've already explained how their customer support was so useless that they copy/pasted replies and sometimes even replied with blank e-mails. They even ignored my offers to send them photos of the games and their respective manuals with their cd-keys.

And I've already explained that the reason I no longer play PC games was this incident with Steam.

But, I am but one tiny drop in an ocean of people who constantly praise them, so they can afford to be douchebags to us select few.

I don't understand; When you open a support ticket to recover a Steam account, it's standard procedure to do one of 2 things to prove you own the account:
1) To attach a picture of a manual's CD-Key with the support ticket number hand-written next to it or
2) To produce Paypal confirmation numbers or Steam/Credit Card receipts (for one or two games, not your entire library)

I know because I had to do it once and I got my account back... You don't offer to do it; you do it on the very first (and ideally only) support ticket you open with them if you want to recover an account... How did it not get to that point?

OP: Every single issues you seem to be accusing steam of seem entirely linked to your own PC. Maybe the reason you have shadow processes running in the background is because you have viruses. Steam doesn't compromise your computers security at least not once for me in the 4 years I've used it. Though bad anti-viruses and shady websites do.

I won't put too much time into this post since after reading yours its clear your determined to blame Steam for all your PC's issues regardless of the true shape of things.

"Ill fucking say it again, why isn't steam upfront about turning itself on everytime you turn on your computer? WHy isnt there an option to turn it off during installation or right after? Why hide it from people?"

Just go into the settings menu and tell it not boot on startup, is it -really- that difficult to do that you've ignored all the people suggesting you do this? Is it that huge of an issue that you need to use the program -once- to tell it to not boot on startup? Is it that huge of an issue that a program starts automatically? Let me think of a list of other programs that start automatically until told not to. Xfire, Origin, Skype, AIM, Hamachi, G15 keyboard drivers, my Dead Adder's drivers, EVGA precision, the list goes on.

Anyways, feel free to continue viewing steam through a 5-year-old lens. The steam community is plenty happy without you, and won't miss you.

Abandon4093:

Stilt:

Abandon4093:

1)Q: Why is my antivirus and firewall so devious. It didn't tell me during the installation process that it was going to startup when I turned my PC on.

A: Because it takes 2 minutes to turn that off if you so choose (just like steam) if you have even minor knowledge of PC's.

2: I can't speak for you, but no one I know has complained about steam ever installing trojans. And judging by your inability to take programs out of the startup. I'd wager they know more about PC's than you.

3) But they are lies. They are factually incorrect.

I'll point out there flaws again if you like. I'll even bold out the parts that are completely untrue.

Stilt:
Steam is one of the most butt fucking invasive programs out there, it starts up everytime you turn your computer on, (Unless you, you know... stop it from doing that.) and hides in the background like a little shit. And even when you try to exit the thing, it still runs in the background being a pain in the ass. (Factually incorrect, when you exit steam the process terminates.) Finally, they make it a bitch to uninstall. (Factually incorrect, simply go to Control Panel>Add/remove programs and run the uninstall process. Then go to program files and delete whatever this process neglected to remove. As is the protocol for everything you uninstall.)

Your first point ignores a simple fix and the second two outright lie.

Anti virus is protecting you from viruses, steam is the virus, big difference there. My point stands, why doesn't steam let you know its going to start uo everytime? How hard is it to add a box during install to let you know, or hell even give you the option to turn it off? It sounds like youre just fine evading this point, because you cant accept the fact that steam has ANY FLAWS WHATSOEVER. The main process terminates, however just two examples I found a steam.api file and a few lingering .dll's

Why am I even wasting my time

psicat:
Yeah, Steam is an invasive, buggy, DRM platform. But, unfortunately there are a lot of Valve fanboys, which this forum is filled with, and to them Steam is gods gift to gaming since it's Valve distribution service. While Origin which is almost the exact same thing can be ragged on for everything since of course it's EA.

But, whatever ridiculous logic PC gamers use to justify the use of Steam is their problems. Personally I prefer DRM free gaming and stick to digital distributors like GOG, GamersGate, and purchasing directly from indie developers for PC games.

Except that it has a fucking unbelievable library, while origin is severely limited, it has insanely good deals on said games every damn week, unlike origin, where their prices are as bad if not worse than the prices at the local retail outlets where I live, has a built in UI overlay doohicky that allows you to use it's web browser or chat service while IN GAME, including any game that you just happen to link through steam as a nonsteam shortcut, and run it that way.

I almost never play valve games, I couldn't give half a shit about whether steam is run by valve or not, but it gives me what I want out of it, REALLY CHEAP GAMES, you let me know when I can get a pack of 5 or so games off origin worth $20-$30 each for $17... then I might consider using it AS WELL.

Whether you like to hold onto your superiority complex by talking down to people who pay less for their games than you, and have a more convenient system under which to organize and run them, is your own prerogative, but I for one don't have to use "ridiculous logic" to "justify" getting insane deals and being able to organize my library of well over 300 games with ease, it just works better, costs less, and gives me more features to play with than all other options COMBINED.

Dr. Dice Lord:
OP: Every single issues you seem to be accusing steam of seem entirely linked to your own PC. Maybe the reason you have shadow processes running in the background is because you have viruses. Steam doesn't compromise your computers security at least not once for me in the 4 years I've used it. Though bad anti-viruses and shady websites do.

I won't put too much time into this post since after reading yours its clear your determined to blame Steam for all your PC's issues regardless of the true shape of things.

"Ill fucking say it again, why isn't steam upfront about turning itself on everytime you turn on your computer? WHy isnt there an option to turn it off during installation or right after? Why hide it from people?"

Just go into the settings menu and tell it not boot on startup, is it -really- that difficult to do that you've ignored all the people suggesting you do this? Is it that huge of an issue that you need to use the program -once- to tell it to not boot on startup? Is it that huge of an issue that a program starts automatically? Let me think of a list of other programs that start automatically until told not to. Xfire, Origin, Skype, AIM, Hamachi, G15 keyboard drivers, my Dead Adder's drivers, EVGA precision, the list goes on.

Anyways, feel free to continue viewing steam through a 5-year-old lens. The steam community is plenty happy without you, and won't miss you.

ITs not a matter of difficulty, its a matter of principle. There are people who wont even realize steam is running in the background, there are people that dont know what a background process is, steam is obviously taking advantage of that by not giving you an obvious option right at the get go. Please at least acknowledge that

Just because aim does it doesnt make it OK

You too buddy, ____ you too

Stilt:

ITs not a matter of difficulty, its a matter of principle. There are people who wont even realize steam is running in the background, there are people that dont know what a background process is, steam is obviously taking advantage of that by not giving you an obvious option right at the get go. Please at least acknowledge that

If they don't notice the little steam icon next to the clock in the system tray, they've reached the point where you can't blame Steam for their problems.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here