Games that genuinely make you angry.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Any game that results in me dying not by my own fault, but because the computer is a cheating bastard.

I realized this, as I would usually laugh and smile in the middle of raging when I realize that me dying that time was my fault, and my fault alone. Still happens every now and again, even.

Team Fortress 2. I really like this game, but every now and then I just have one of those days. Days where I can't seem to find a server that doesn't have too much lag or allows me to have a decent framerate, days where I'm getting my ass handed to me left and right, days where I keep finding myself on a team with 5 snipers/spies/pyros/engineers, and days where I can't keep my sentry up because a spy keeps getting the drop on me and ruining everything every single time I try to set up.

On those days, I get pretty angry. Maybe tomorrow will be better...

Dandark:
Well I do rage a lot at Dark souls, partly because ****ING ANDOR LONDO ARCHERS!!! Also because I really dislike the PvP.
It probably would be fun but most of my experience with it has been like so...

Im a low level character, in a low level area, learning to play.
I get invaded, this could be fun I think.
I get killed in two hits by some **** using end game equipment.
This is not fun........

It's also annoying that I have to run the risk of being invaded just to play the Co-op, usaully I just turn my Xbox off when I get invaded now simply because I don't want to even bother pretending to have a chance against people with far supirior equipment which pretty much translates into insta win.

For the archers, once you're at the top near the one on the right, roll to dodge the arrows (the archer on the left cant hit you). Once you get close enough to him he'll pull out a sword and shield. At that point the best strategy is to parry him, which should either knock him off the ledge or kill him.

Stay hollowed unless if you have to restore your humanity. All of the bosses can be fought on your own if you know what you're doing. (I did this with the Anor Londo bosses, took me forever) If you have a friendly phantom while you're invaded, there's no need to turn off the Xbox, since the odds are in your favor. (if you don't have one, summon one) There are not many invaders that can win a 2v1 or a 3v1, and if they're the gankers you're mentioning the chances they are one of those invaders is basically zero.

The Witcher 2 (and not because of the "difficult" combat system).

Here is my experience playing it. Watch cutscene. Talk to some jack off who I have no idea who they are. Get quest. Try to use the piss poor map system (and fail). Wander aimlessly with nothing to poke my swords into forever. Listen to people drone on and on for eternity. Finally find where I am supposed to be. Quickly finish the fight with a few pokes and a couple dodges. Try and find the way back. Rinse and repeat.

I didn't know Witcher meant shrink. I thought it meant monster hunter.

Hmm... no one has mention Shinobi or Nightshade.
I never played Shinobi, myself, because I heard it was even harder than Nightshade. But the final levels of Nightshade were the hardest levels I've ever played. What really made it hard was that the cutscene that happened when you chained killed. It would freeze your character in place, show some type of pose type cutscene, then drop you back into the game. Which more often than not, would cause you to fall into a bottomless pit. And being that this was a PS2 game there were no saves, only checkpoints. So, whenever you died. You started over. Great fun that was.

OH. Did I forget to mention that the final few levels had no floors. Hardest game I've ever played.... and completed. And then there was a car platforming jump battle and a submarine platforming jump battle that were both major tests of patience. God Hand, Bayonetta's Non-Stop Infinite Climax, and DMC3 US original (normal=hard) are both child's play, compared to that game.

http://www.gamespot.com/nightshade/

I recall one mission in Mafia II that had me pulling out my hair. I vaguely remember having to follow a car, and the car kept on getting stuck in traffic, which would cause the game to blame me and say I failed. I didn't fail, your stupid AI failed. I do love that coke-a-cola and rum song that's in that game, though.....

Dead Rising is racist against Americans. It blames the zombie apocalypse on American capitalist consumption while simultaneously demanding that the player purchase a Sony HDTV in order to read the text.

Nicolairigel:

DeathSwitch109:

Kai Leng - Mass Effect 3 (Cheap)

But you can just play vanguard and non-stop Nova > Charge him in the face D:

and if he tries to hit you just roll back

Unfortunately I was playing a soldier (have been since ME1), but what's surprising was that he was the only challenge I faced on Insanity so far.

ELCTea:

Azuaron:
Borderlands has me pretty pissed off right now.

For the Secret Armory of General Knoxx DLC, after you defeat Knoxx, you blow up the armory, right? So you walk in, and you're standing on an elevator. There are three buttons to press. You are not told which button to press.

I press the left-most button. The bomb becomes active. I press the middle button. The elevator takes me down into the armory.

Oh, that one on the right? Yeah, that's the one that actually ends the quest, and if you don't press it before lowering the elevator, you're screwed and can never complete that quest or the two subsequent quests breaking back into the armory.

Apparently the only way to get around it is to find someone online who just happens to be at the end of the Knoxx quest and piggyback your way into the armory.

But, for the most part, I don't get angry at games. For instance, I recently played Deus Ex (the original) for the first time, and I really didn't like the gameplay. So I just turned God mode on. *shrug* I was only there for the story, anyway.

Thanks i was just about to start the dlc, so press the right button before pressing any of the others?

I think it might be left, right, center.

Tom Milner:

Woodsey:

Tom Milner:
modern warfare 2, the whole "no russian" guff offended me very literally, when playing it at a friends, i can put my actions in a simple list:

1. start mission,.
2. makarov starts genocide
3. turn off game
4. walk home
5. drink 2 bottles of WKD and go to bed early....06:40:PM

IT OFFENDED ME THAT ***ING BADLY.

Indeed, someone drinking WKD is ludicrously offensi- ...Oh. Why did that offend you, exactly?

because civilians are being massacred, in a game, no less. which are supposed to be fun. you are expected to join makarov and his pals in tearing up an airport, and then killing a ton of police. and to what end!? there is no need AT ALL for this to exist!

'which are supposed to be fun.'

Well, no.

'and to what end!? there is no need AT ALL for this to exist!'

In the context of the narrative (or what CoD claims is a narrative), it's needed.

Game that made me angry: Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault.

The first level of this game is the attack on Pearl Harbour. So what can a FPS do with the attack on Pearl Harbour? Shoot down Japanese planes, of course! All on my lonesome, with my Tommy gun (the PT motorboat later on) I shot down 72 planes. Not taking into account all the others the bots shot down, I personally destroyed nearly 3 times as many planes as were actually shot down in 1941. I felt insulted, and offended on behalf of everyone involved on that day. The game didn't get any better. I never finished that one.

Game character that made me angry: Mavis Blackbriar, Skyrim.
I had heard about this woman, but I didn't think she could be that bad. Then I met her. The sheer snootiness, superiority and utter hubris emanating from every word from her mouth made me angry. Then she started going on about how she's going to take over Whiterun. Whiterun was my home. Nobody fucks with my home. Then she made some snarky comment about not fucking up as I left (despite the HUGE favour I had just done for her), and I snapped. Out came the warhammer. Pity you can't kill NPC's by default, I would love to see her brains decorate the walls. Anyway, I spent a good deal of time beating her up (and anyone who came to her aid). I have never gotten that furious with an NPC before.

Multiplayer that made me angry: Space Marine
Don't get me wrong, I like Space Marine, I think it does quite a few things right (thunder hammer/killing blow can die in a fire, though). But the P2P hosting system and the matchmaker is utter balls. The game is constantly pausing to switch host around, and even then the connection is usually shitty. Lag kills are commonplace, and trying to hit some guy when the lag spikes is frustrating to say the least (my favourite is when I'm laying the smackdown on one guy then *pause* suddenly there's three dudes and I'm dead).

The matchmaker....doesn't make good matches. It seems completely unable to ensure an even spread of levels, so it's common to find one team with most of the high level players, and the other team with maybe 1. To date, I have only witnessed the matchamker balance teams when people drop or leave exactly once. 7 v 5 isn't uncommon, and when the team with 7 has all the top level guys....

Modern Warfare 2

A buddy of mine persuaded me to play the multiplayer again recently and good god is it a clusterfuck of a game.Overpowered killstreaks that count towards your next killstreak,ridiculous amounts of killstreaks on screen at the same time,shiity spawn system that spawns you into the path of a killstreak so you die instantly,noob tubers everywhere,stupid perk combos,quickscoping,being knifed from 10 feet away.....After about 30 mins playing it I remembered why I'd stopped playing the fucking thing in the first place

CrimsonBlaze:
Pokemon Black and White for obvious reasons.

Mainly because it's a step back in the wrong direction in terms of the game series and people are praising it. Now a sequel is confirmed for it. A 2 year time lapse does not make a game a sequel, especially when there are no new elements to be found compare to it's "prequel."

And every single one of the new pokemon in that game looked absolutely horrible.
A game that really pissed me off...The force unleashed 2. Granted, it was bought for me so it wasn't a waste of my money, but there is no justification for releasing a game that short after two or three years in development(I think).

The Hobbit for the Gamecube. You play as Bilbo who, if you have any knowledge of Lord of the Rings or read the title of the game, is a Hobbit. Thus he is really short and not very strong.

You do piss-all damage to enemies without doing massive combos on their weak-points, which is hard to pull off due to the fact that you can easily be 2-3 shotted by some of the most basic foes. Later levels introduce bigger, stronger enemies that use poisons, explosives, long-range attacks (your armed with a crappy short sword and rocks, so no ranged) and attack in large groups, making even small fights incredibly frustrating.

I believe I ended up giving up on the last level with a resounding 'Fuck it!' and went to play some Borderlands, where my Sniper-scope-bladed-Shotgun-Grenade Launcher makes anything problem-shaped disappear instantly.

Honourable mention goes to the Blade Columns in God of War - my. fucking. GOD. The one time I have felt pure fury at a video game as the deceptively large hit boxes sent Kratos falling to his doom for the 50th time.

Tom Milner:
modern warfare 2, the whole "no russian" guff offended me very literally, when playing it at a friends, i can put my actions in a simple list:

1. start mission,.
3. turn off game
4. walk home

Yeah, where's the "Shoot Makarov in the back of the head before we walk in 'cause we know he's going to kill a ton of people" option? O wait, then they'd have to use another character for the main story, and that would be bad... somehow.

Woodsey:

Tom Milner:

Woodsey:

Indeed, someone drinking WKD is ludicrously offensi- ...Oh. Why did that offend you, exactly?

because civilians are being massacred, in a game, no less. which are supposed to be fun. you are expected to join makarov and his pals in tearing up an airport, and then killing a ton of police. and to what end!? there is no need AT ALL for this to exist!

'which are supposed to be fun.'

Well, no.

'and to what end!? there is no need AT ALL for this to exist!'

In the context of the narrative (or what CoD claims is a narrative), it's needed.

I would say "it's contrived" - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.374490.14528445. This is equivalent to the idiot decisionmaking in bad B movies, only they're forcing you as the player to behave like the fool.

Dark souls.
Its difficulty borders on cheap at times.
Fuck those anor londo archers.

RedBird:

CrimsonBlaze:

Mainly because it's a step back in the wrong direction in terms of the game series and people are praising it. Now a sequel is confirmed for it. A 2 year time lapse does not make a game a sequel, especially when there are no new elements to be found compare to it's "prequel."

And every single one of the new pokemon in that game looked absolutely horrible.
A game that really pissed me off...The force unleashed 2. Granted, it was bought for me so it wasn't a waste of my money, but there is no justification for releasing a game that short after two or three years in development(I think).

In terms of Pokemon B&W, yes the new roster was definitely disheartening. A Pokemon game in which you don't want to play again because of the Pokemon you encounter is a definite failure for the game series.

For The Force Unleashed 2, it sure was surprisingly short. I'm guessing most of the "development" put into the game was to create numerous inventive ways to kill Storm Troopers and TIE fighters.

CrimsonBlaze:

RedBird:

CrimsonBlaze:

In terms of Pokemon B&W, yes the new roster was definitely disheartening. A Pokemon game in which you don't want to play again because of the Pokemon you encounter is a definite failure for the game series.

For The Force Unleashed 2, it sure was surprisingly short. I'm guessing most of the "development" put into the game was to create numerous inventive ways to kill Storm Troopers and TIE fighters.

In fairness, it was a fun game. but it took me less than 2 hours to complete. Then I did force rage IRL and killed some stormtrooper cosplayers, thus the rage subsided.

verdant monkai:
*snip*

Do you think dead or alive would be more noob friendly? I like the look of that game especially the most recent. Oh and by the way thankyou for the information, you have been really helpful. :)

Yes Dead or Alive is much more noob friendly and I would assume Dead or Alive 5 will retain this there are only 4 buttons one throws one blocks + counters (depends how you use it but its easy to understand) and two buttons attack one punches one kicks if I remember correctly.

Its not as in-depth as some other fighters but very easy to get into and can be a lot of fun as there is quite a lot of spectacle to the matches and it is deep enough to allow you to improve at it.

Im also looking forward to DOA5 I think its about time they brought the series back after a much needed rest.

Force Unleashed.
When you have to bring down a star destroyer.
Whilst be shot at by every TIE fighter there ever was.
Grrr...

Any Crash Bandicoot game after Twinsanity because they killed him :(

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core because of the most annoyingly difficult AI in a fighting game I've played

Timesplitters 4 because it will never happen

EvilMaggot:
Everyone said Darksouls is awesome... so i reckoned.. hmm should try Demon's Souls first... got to the black knight with the insanely long polearm.. killed me 5 times.. havent played it since thats 1 month ago.. it pissed me off soooo much :P those games are not for me ^^

Avoid the knight and go up the ramparts kill everyone there. Once that's done get to a spot where the knight has a hard time hitting you and use a ranged attack either a bow or magic to chip his health away, you don't even has to invest in leveling just as long as you meet the min requirements and bow can kill it provided you have enough arrows. He is perhaps the easiest boss in the game next to phalanx.

And anyone who says Dark Souls is hard it basically boils down to repetition, run the same area a few times and you'll soon break the difficulty over your knee. After Anor Londo you've basically won.

conkers bad fur day with the FUCKING FINAL BIT with the (spoiler) matrix section when they would FUCKING murder you OVER AND OVER AND OVER, seriously fuck that game

w00tage:

Tom Milner:

1. start mission,.
3. turn off game
4. walk home

Yeah, where's the "Shoot Makarov in the back of the head before we walk in 'cause we know he's going to kill a ton of people" option? O wait, then they'd have to use another character for the main story, and that would be bad... somehow.

You play as an American CIA agent. A well-placed one. What makes you think a US agent would risk his cover, his mission and commit certain suidice to save a buttload of Russians?

Iwata:

You play as an American CIA agent. A well-placed one. What makes you think a US agent would risk his cover, his mission and commit certain suidice to save a buttload of Russians?

(Just chiming in, as another one who got genuinly angry at ol' MW2)

Well, I'd have less of a problem with it if the game didn't ask me to be outraged when the Russians do the exact same thing in America.

"If it wasn't a big deal with civilians being massacred back there, why is it now, game?"

Of course, that whole flippin' story is so surreal either way, so it hardly matters... After defending Burger King from the Red Menace, I sort of blacked out a bit, I vaguely remember the White House being involved somehow. Context got thrown under the bus long before the first protagonist was, that's for sure.

So far only Too Human is the only game that makes me legitimately angry, I mean the first hour or so is actually pretty nice, it has an interesting control scheme and I like the idea of Cybernetic Viking Gods. But than all the horribleness starts creeping into your attention, the atrocious healing system (you can't store healing items, they only drop in significant numbers when you don't barely need them, and the only class that can heal itself heals at a rate that would make glacial shifts look hypersonic) and the associated death sequence, the embarrassingly useless ranged weapons, the teeth scrapping slow movement speed and a plot that is too thinly spread to offer even an ounce of engagement. It makes me really angry mostly because that first bit works so nicely that it feels like some filthy lie once you get further into it!

Last five minutes of my last game didn't exactly sit well with me.

Or my body.

Or the rest of the galaxy.

I guess it all depended on my wanting to commit either mass slavery, genocide, or molestation that day.

anthony87:
Battlefield 3.

When the enemy team is moving in groups, working together and supporting each other while the team I'm on is running around like a bunch of headless fucking chickens it can be quite frustrating.

When someone turns a corner and gets you with one shot. Better connection perhaps? Headshot? Still fucking annoying.

When I'm in a squad and everyone has the same squad specialisation equipped. Do people think that the effects stack or do they just not give a fuck?

Also, camping bastards.

Coincidentally, I just rage quit'd a BF3 match just then for all the reasons you just stated! My dipshit squad-mates, both of them, had the Sprint perk on. Ok, not THAT big of a deal. What pissed me off, is that they were also SNIPING. With the perk that lets you sprint faster. When I asked one of them to change, he just said 'y?'. MFW

Super Meat Boy, its a fantastic game and I love playing it. However, I am awful at platformers and yeah the inevitable rage occurs.

Dead Rising. I just can't beat it... I just can't. I get so far and then I die and have to go through everything ALLLLLL over again because saving in that game is so tedious. I know that when you restart from the beginning you can keep your current level, but even so... Having to do the same quests over and OVER AND OVER again, blagh. I gave up on it loooong ago, and never picked up it's sequel.

Also, the PSP port of Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Not only did the original PS1 version have a better layout for the menu that made setting turn orders and such MUCH easier, it was also LAG FREE! The PSP version's combat interface lags ALL THE TIME! Even turns lag, sometimes it takes 5 seconds in between turns to load the next one, it's crazy! Not to mention loading between battles and entering new areas... The PS1 version had like, NO loading screens. All in all it was a major letdown... Oh but I can't hate you Atlus :(

Niishke:
Hitogata Happa

I pre-ordered Hitogata Happa on Steam because I'm one of those incorrigible freaks that actually likes arcade shooters. It was allegedly very well received in Japan and I was looking forward to some games that aren't cheap Geometry Wars cash-ins from western indie developers.

Everything about it was so infuriatingly terrible that I couldn't even physically control my anger. The gameplay was impossibly obtuse, even with the game's PDF instruction manual available for download, and the parts I did understand were retarded. Nothing in the manual seemed to correspond to anything that was happening in the game. The controls were horrible, the hit detection was weird and the game was so impossible even on the easiest difficulty setting that I couldn't even finish the first level.

I didn't even know it had a manual. Now I understand that I'm supposed to suicide myself. Well, that's a hell of an unintuitive mechanic...

...Still, at least now I stand a chance in hell of beating the first freaking level.

Iwata:

w00tage:

Tom Milner:

1. start mission,.
3. turn off game
4. walk home

I know. I played it. And your question sets up my point exactly - the developers did not put in the CHOICE for the player to blow his cover, his mission and commit certain suicide to save a buttload of Russians. (Edit: and yes, the story could have gone on with a name and face change for the villain and a bandaid's worth of writing).

Said lack of choice is why it's a contrived scenario and imo the major reason that mission is so controversial - the player, who by definition is a active participant in events, is forced to either be a bystander to a massacre or participate in it. Of course people are going to be "wtf?" about it.

But since the game industry has been infested with every Hollywood wanna-be director/writer who can't get a job making ACTUAL movies, it's no surprise to me that such hamhanded B- movie crud is showing up in games.

Renegade Shepard:
Last five minutes of my last game didn't exactly sit well with me.

Or my body.

Or the rest of the galaxy.

I guess it all depended on my wanting to commit either mass slavery, genocide, or molestation that day.

Somebody needs a hug from a Star Child.

KIDDING!

I am very mild-mannered, but I get infuriating whenever I play video games. I guess that means every game makes me angry.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked