Aliens Colonial Marines playable female marine petition

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Lilani:
Why would they exclude female from multiplayer in the first place, especially if they already have models made for single player? It sounds like they're just asking for trouble.

I get the feeling it has something to do with server space. With the extra storage space needed for the meshes, textures, realistic female movement animations ETC. I don't think they chose to do it out of a hatred of female chars (like everyone says in these situations) given that they made female chars for the single player but instead I think it may be more to do with budgeting for server space and bandwidth necessary for multilayer.

Signed.

If they've already got the assets in singleplayer then I don't see why not in multiplayer. The whole hit-box argument is a complete cop out. There have been plenty of successful games with multiplayer modes that use female avatars, Gears of War, Uncharted, etc. With no massive balance issues.

Windcaler:
If the marines had any dialouge you could still tell from their voices. The only way that might change is if they were wearing something like respirators the whole time that made their voices robotic

There are 2 reasons it matters. The first being that Alien has always focused around strong female characters. Males often played secondary roles or the villains. The other reason is because this is an opportunity to advance gender equality in the medium. Video games have had a troubled past when it comes to gender equality and its time we evolved as our medium takes its steps into becoming truly mainstream

I already said cover their faces. Which now that I think about it is a sensible notion what with the Aliens' having acid for... everything inside them? and the Marines hardly want that on their face. Anyway, if they all had large torso armour and voices were really necessary in MP then just have voice actors for both, plain and simple.

Anyway for your second point, that is true for the movies and if the problem was with the single player and co-op however that argument wouldn't necessarily work well when the complaint is over having no female characters in MP MvA. There's hardly any character development in multiplayer competitive modes (excluding L4D 1 and 2 for obvious reasons) and apart from being an asthetic feature, choosing to be male or female won't change much. On a side note, how is a game about punching Aliens in the face and being badness a good opportunity for gender equality? Also game has four player co-op for the main mission with one character being female. Additionally, really.

When I first read this, I thought is said "female marine position". Heh, heh, oops.

DigitalAtlas:
[I'd rather the developers see the errors of their ways on their own

It'd be nice, but... Yeah, we know that's not going to happen. History has shown that developers tend to have blinders on. If the fan base doesn't complain about something it doesn't get addressed. Sometimes not even then.

Besides, this petition isn't so much "WE ALL THINK YOU'RE WRONG" and more "Your potential customers would like this feature. hint, hint."

For myself, I have no great love for the franchise, but I think there are enough Female Gamers by now that female avatars should be a standard thing for games. So I signed because I think more developers need to realize that.

Trekkie:
I get the feeling it has something to do with server space. With the extra storage space needed for the meshes, textures, realistic female movement animations ETC. I don't think they chose to do it out of a hatred of female chars (like everyone says in these situations) given that they made female chars for the single player but instead I think it may be more to do with budgeting for server space and bandwidth necessary for multilayer.

I think you are right that they didn't do it because they didn't want females to be represented in their game. However, that is sort of exactly what this action is saying. It doesn't matter what they intended, what matters is what the customer feels they intended. As you said, they should have done a better job budgeting, and should find a better way to solve the problem than shafting a gender--especially since the franchise already has a history of strong female characters.

Doesn't anyone know about the Vasquez rule? Female Marines Always dies.

Lilani:
Why would they exclude female from multiplayer in the first place, especially if they already have models made for single player? It sounds like they're just asking for trouble.

Maybe they're worried or found that, like Rebellion did, that female models will cause detection issues. That's the reason there were none in AVP.

silver wolf009:
Maybe they're worried or found that, like Rebellion did, that female models will cause detection issues. That's the reason there were none in AVP.

Then if they couldn't or wouldn't find any solutions to that problem, all criticism they get for it is totally deserved. TF2 gets along just fine with vastly different body types on screen, and apparently so does the Mass Effect multiplayer. If the problem was unexpected then fine, but if they needed more time to solve it they should have pushed back the deadline. Now instead of delaying their sale date, they're going to have bad press to deal with, and likely fewer sales to boot. And again, it is not undeserved.

Lilani:

silver wolf009:

Then if they couldn't or wouldn't find any solutions to that problem, all criticism they get for it is totally deserved. TF2 gets along just fine with vastly different body types on screen, and apparently so does the Mass Effect multiplayer. If the problem was unexpected then fine, but if they needed more time to solve it they should have pushed back the deadline. Now instead of delaying their sale date, they're going to have bad press to deal with, and likely fewer sales to boot. And again, it is not undeserved.

I'd imagine they'd catch a comparative level of flak for yet another delay. They've had a bad habit of doing that for this project.

Captcha: Do you love me?

No, no I do not Captcha.

silver wolf009:

Lilani:

silver wolf009:

I'd imagine they'd catch a comparative level of flak for yet another delay. They've had a bad habit of doing that for this project.

Captcha: Do you love me?

No, no I do not Captcha.

It may be of a comparative level, at first, but that sort of thing is forgiven as soon as the game is released. Unless they fix it, no amount of time will make the people they've angered forgive them for this.

I was all ready to come in here, and ask why you wanted them to extend the development time even further, just so they can add more models.

Then you mentioned they had the models in the single player. So the exclusion from the multiplayer does baffle me a little.

Lilani:

Trekkie:

I think you are right that they didn't do it because they didn't want females to be represented in their game. However, that is sort of exactly what this action is saying. It doesn't matter what they intended, what matters is what the customer feels they intended. As you said, they should have done a better job budgeting, and should find a better way to solve the problem than shafting a gender--especially since the franchise already has a history of strong female characters.

I see your point but I think people need to realise that facts are more important than feelings and that we shouldn't act on them until its all been put into context. for instance most of the reaction iv seen is "their being sexist because they don't like women" etc. however has anyone asked them why they did it? because as you said its how it appears. However things aren't always as they appear. maybe we should ask why they did it and then put forward a few suggestions. like take out a few maps or reduce the number of players from 32 to 16 (if that's possible)

its easy just to say "oh its because of sexism" but maybe we should look at it from their perspective first. Maybe we should ask why they did it and then give them suggestions on how to fix it instead of just demanding that they do?

Also this isn't the first time this has happened. in the first saints row you couldn't have a female character, single or multilayer. this was because the publisher saw saints row as a "GTA Clone" and so didn't want to place a big investment on it. so much so actually that the PC only had 3 lines of dialogue. However after the success of the first game, the developer was given just over double the budget for the second game over the first, allowing them to make it look better, play better and have fully customizable PC's including Female ones.

Also hypothetically, would anyone be making a petition if they reversed the genders?

Akalabeth:

DigitalAtlas:
Wasn't this movie based around a female perspective....?

And wasn't there two gun-touting female marines who kicked ass?

No there was just one. Vasquez. The other one didn't really kick any ass, she died with the rest of the mooks.

There were three female Colonial Marines, actually.

Private First Class Jenette Vasquez - Smartgun Operator
Corporal Colette Ferro - UD4-L "Cheyenne" Dropship Pilot
Corporal Cynthia Dietrich - Field Medic

Falseprophet:
Aside from Vasquez, there were two female marines. Ferro, the dropship pilot, got jumped by a xenomorph in the cockpit. She managed to draw her sidearm but wasn't fast enough. Dietrich, the medic, was a victim of friendly fire when the flamethrower-toting marine next to her was attacked.

Cpl. Dietrich was captured by a Xenomorph Warrior, and presumably died to either a chestburster (Hudson mentions her still being alive later on in the APC) or to the reactor meldown. It was actually Private Rico Frost who was killed by friendly-fire. Corporal Dietrich hit him with her flamethrower accidentally when the Xenomorph grabbed her.

LetalisK:
As long as the character isn't modeled off of Michelle Rodriguez. That's my only stipulation.

I'd actually find that mildly amusing, since Michelle Rodriguez probably wouldn't even have a career if it weren't for how many times she's mimicked PFC Vasquez.

rolfwesselius:

Moonlight Butterfly:
snip

Ix Rebound:
snip

Easton Dark:
snip

Blunderboy:
snip

Crazycat690:
snip

Making female character playable isnīt a smart move because of hitboxes,they would need to be the exact same size as the men and have the exact same proportions.
If they made new hitboxes then woman would probably have smaller ones unbalancing the game.
(this is for playable female characters in general)

Gears of War seems to have no problem with unbalanced games.

Krantos:

DigitalAtlas:
[I'd rather the developers see the errors of their ways on their own

It'd be nice, but... Yeah, we know that's not going to happen. History has shown that developers tend to have blinders on. If the fan base doesn't complain about something it doesn't get addressed. Sometimes not even then.

Besides, this petition isn't so much "WE ALL THINK YOU'RE WRONG" and more "Your potential customers would like this feature. hint, hint."

For myself, I have no great love for the franchise, but I think there are enough Female Gamers by now that female avatars should be a standard thing for games. So I signed because I think more developers need to realize that.

>First paragraph or so

Then it's a game that missed it's chance for merit, maybe even just a bad game.

Nouw:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Isn't the deal with female characters in the Alien universe that they're not a big deal? It's not like they take a female and shove it in your face screaming "LOOK GUYS A FEMALE CHARACTER THAT'S NOT JUST HERE TO PROVIDE TITS WE ARE SO NOT SEXIST AND EQUALITY AND SHIT AND DUHDFUH"? This kinda goes against it. All of a sudden we have arbitrary females for the sake of "equality" and what not... Can't get behind this.

Well if equality doesn't sit well with you how about respecting the canon and history of Aliens :p?

We are talking about MP here. There is no canon. We are talking about adding boobs and a higher pitched voice to a soulless avatar. Nothing more. All the important things are to be found in SP where there is female characters. You know things like character development. Forming a petition/getting pissy because your walking gun doesn't have boobs speaks loudly about all that is wrong with this gender war going on in the industry as of late.

wait that doesnt make sense. why would they have females in single player but not multiplayer? id think, if anything, it would be the other way around. another question is, why does it matter? im a very vocal feminist but isnt this a first person game? i wouldnt even be able to see myself

I'm afraid I cannot sign this as I feel strongely about this issue. I want, nay, DEMAND, a playable Xenomorph Queen petition!

Akalabeth:

DigitalAtlas:

No there was just one. Vasquez. The other one didn't really kick any ass, she died with the rest of the mooks.

Wait... there were two female marines? I thought DigitalAtlas just got Ripley confused for a marine. I need to watch that movie again.

OT: You know, if there were no female marines in either singleplayer or multiplayer, I could understand it, for practical reasons if nothing else. I'm confused as to why it would be singleplayer only, though.

P.S.: Akalabeth, nice name. I've been meaning to re-read the Silmarillion for a while now.

Edit: Three female marines, even. I'm /really/ due for a re-watch.

Lilani:

Not all models can be used in singleplayer. Some models are one shot kinda deal, or are unstable outside singleplayer.

Still, those models can be converted with enough work. If female models are that unstable and "rubberband" constantly, I would understand.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Akalabeth:

DigitalAtlas:

Wait... there were two female marines? I thought DigitalAtlas just got Ripley confused for a marine. I need to watch that movie again.

OT: You know, if there were no female marines in either singleplayer or multiplayer, I could understand it, for practical reasons if nothing else. I'm confused as to why it would be singleplayer only, though.

P.S.: Akalabeth, nice name. I've been meaning to re-read the Silmarillion for a while now.

Actually as someone else said there were sorta three marines, one was a dropship pilot (the one that crashes).

And my name is actually from Richard Garriot's first game, though, he probably took the name from the Silmarillion or something.

Akalabeth:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Akalabeth:

Actually as someone else said there were sorta three marines, one was a dropship pilot (the one that crashes).

And my name is actually from Richard Garriot's first game, though, he probably took the name from the Silmarillion or something.

Like I said, need to re-watch that movie. I never caught either of the other two female marines.

As for the name: that's kind of cool, and he must have. I don't know if you've read it or not, but The Silmarillion is split up into several books, each of which tells a different part of the overall history of Middle Earth. The Akallabeth (two l's, I checked) was the one that covered the second age, particularly the fall of Numenor.

How about no, how about they focus on making a decent game instead of screwing around with new character models and voice actors.

squid5580:
We are talking about MP here. There is no canon. We are talking about adding boobs and a higher pitched voice to a soulless avatar. Nothing more. All the important things are to be found in SP where there is female characters. You know things like character development. Forming a petition/getting pissy because your walking gun doesn't have boobs speaks loudly about all that is wrong with this gender war going on in the industry as of late.

I think it's safe to assume that we didn't sign it so we can oggle girls. Aliens has never been about that. We want them because canon/equality/whatever other reason. It's ridiculous to assume we want them because of boobs when everyone here has said otherwise.

And yes the multiplayer doesn't follow the canon but that doesn't mean there isn't one. It's still a part of the Aliens universe and it should still incorporate the female marines.

flames09:
How about no, how about they focus on making a decent game instead of screwing around with new character models and voice actors.

They are working hard on making a decent game. Playing as female marines could be part of that though.

Think this is really stupid. The main character is a set character, probably with a back story. If the game was an RPG, and the character customization excluded female characters, then sure, petition away. But asking a company to add a female protagonist this late in development is just pointless.

Nouw:

squid5580:

I think it's safe to assume that we didn't sign it so we can oggle girls. Aliens has never been about that. We want them because canon/equality/whatever other reason. It's ridiculous to assume we want them because of boobs when everyone here has said otherwise.

And yes the multiplayer doesn't follow the canon but that doesn't mean there isn't one. It's still a part of the Aliens universe and it should still incorporate the female marines.

Why? What difference does it make on the chest size of a MP avatar? You are asking them to change a lot for an aesthetic purpose. And before the tired ME3 and TF2 arguement comes in again lets face the facts. TF2 compensates the differing hitboxes with differing hitpoints to compensate. And ME3 doesn't have hitboxes that matter to the player since it is player vs AI. Let the canon rest easy where it belongs in the SP. So the MP isn't affected by hits not registering because I hit a breast that doesn't exist in the computer's eye.

Abnfd just because every movie had at least 1 female marine facing them doesn't mean every team had the tokin chick. There is your canon.

squid5580:
Why? What difference does it make on the chest size of a MP avatar? You are asking them to change a lot for an aesthetic purpose. And before the tired ME3 and TF2 arguement comes in again lets face the facts. TF2 compensates the differing hitboxes with differing hitpoints to compensate. And ME3 doesn't have hitboxes that matter to the player since it is player vs AI. Let the canon rest easy where it belongs in the SP. So the MP isn't affected by hits not registering because I hit a breast that doesn't exist in the computer's eye.

Abnfd just because every movie had at least 1 female marine facing them doesn't mean every team had the tokin chick. There is your canon.

From the game modes so far, the hitbox really shouldn't be an issue because human vs human game modes haven't been announced. Unless you're being a dick and killing your own team mates, there should be no reason as to why you're shooting a marine. When you're playing as an alien, the only thing that should really matter is height/mass because you're using melee/assassination attacks. With melee, you're far less likely to miss because of a breast. You're either within range of hitting them or you're not. Females won't be any taller or larger than a male so hitboxes shouldn't be an issue. If the alien had a ranged attack like the marines do, that could be an issue but for now it's melee. In all my hours of playing Halo:Reach, hitboxes has never been an issue, despite massive armour, when melee'ing.

Yes, there isn't an 'X number of X genders' in each squad but that doesn't invalidate the ones that do exist. If someone wants to play as a female marine, let them play as a female marine. It's not that big a deal.

Why do we have to petition everything? Can't they just make the game they're making instead of throwing in unnecessary (note the word choice) changes for some kind of superficial equality that no one will care about by the time the game releases?

Nouw:

squid5580:

From the game modes so far, the hitbox really shouldn't be an issue because human vs human game modes haven't been announced. Unless you're being a dick and killing your own team mates, there should be no reason as to why you're shooting a marine. When you're playing as an alien, the only thing that should really matter is height/mass because you're using melee/assassination attacks. With melee, you're far less likely to miss because of a breast. You're either within range of hitting them or you're not. Females won't be any taller or larger than a male so hitboxes shouldn't be an issue. If the alien had a ranged attack like the marines do, that could be an issue but for now it's melee. In all my hours of playing Halo:Reach, hitboxes has never been an issue, despite massive armour, when melee'ing.

Yes, there isn't an 'X number of X genders' in each squad but that doesn't invalidate the ones that do exist. If someone wants to play as a female marine, let them play as a female marine. It's not that big a deal.

Of course it isn't a big deal when you aren't the one developing it

Will sign if you add a clause that she must look like Michelle Rodriguez

squid5580:

Nouw:

squid5580:

Of course it isn't a big deal when you aren't the one developing it

Yes it isn't a big deal for me, I will give you that. But the least Gearbox could do is give us some kind of reply that is more than an ambiguous tweet. If Gearbox doesn't have the time and resources to spare to put in playable female marines in the Multiplayer, that is absolutely fine with me. I'd rather have them polish the game. However, if they did have time and resources to spare it would be much appreciated. I wouldn't mind if it was a DLC either and maybe that can be a resolution for now.

Did no one go to the games website? there's a picture of a female marine under one of the pre-order bonuses.

http://www.sega.com/alienscolonialmarines/

Its unknown if they will be in single player but its assumable that they will since the game has drop in drop out co-op.

The pictures has been up for a while, its not a new thing.

Eh. I dislike the petition. I don't care what genders are in something and going out of your way to request a certain sex be present is a form of sexism I can't get behind.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked