Do You Still Buy AAA Games?
Yes. The issues don't phase me one bit and i still buy on day one.
19.5% (97)
19.5% (97)
I Generally Keep buying them.
27.5% (137)
27.5% (137)
I will buy them, but usually only used or in a sale
18.1% (90)
18.1% (90)
Only a few and this bullshit really gets to me
24.5% (122)
24.5% (122)
I Flatly refuse to buy AAA releases anymore.
1.6% (8)
1.6% (8)
Muffin!
8.2% (41)
8.2% (41)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do You Still Buy AAA Games?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I buy them if it is a game I want. I never buy a game that I have not seen played before.

I'm blind to the term "AAA", it just means big name, big budget, big marketing campaign (and usually a sequel). None of that matters, and neither does being the first to get it. Doesn't matter whether I get a title on the first year or a few months after (probably better as the hype will have died down and the price will have hopefully been cut a bit). Of course, if all gamers delayed their purchases it would be bad for the gaming industry. I'll buy new at full price if it looks worth it from detailed reviews and gameplay footage and I happen to be bored at the time.

It has slowed down since I pretty much found out "Wait, I can buy 6 games that take four hours and have 10X times of the playable content for 10$ each [or more games if it is on sale] and have MORE fun then buying a full 60$ game! Sign me up!" This realization came when I bought the Console version of Fallout New Vegas and six other indie games. I still like those games to this day too.

Also, this realization was once again true after playing Skyrim at a friends house and having spent 60$ on several other games and enjoyed them more. I don't care what anyone says, if you cut out pretty much the entire game and put it into a singular room [all enemies, NPCS and what not] then it would have two hours of actual play-value I am willing to bet, while the six indie games are all fun experiences through-and-through.

Not a whole lot, but more due to just being generally bored with modern mainstream games than anything to do with DRM or business practices. The last big game I picked up was Skyrim, but the last one I was really into was Portal 2. I've kind of been out of boxed games in general for the past year or so. I might pick up Spec Ops or Lollipop Chainsaw sometime in the near future, but it's mostly retro and indie games for now.

What else would I buy? Indie games? blah those are for peasants, away with you swine.

If they are of interest to me then yes. I will buy them.

I pretty much buy whichever AAA games that interest me whenever they interest me. I'm probably only ever interested in 1/3 of game releases and I'm willing to wait for a price drop while I play through some other games. But for the games I get excited about (Borderlands 2, AC3), there's no question that I buy them on release.

Not really by choice, (as in, not because I explicitly intend to not buy AAA titles), but no, I kinda don't.

CruisingForBiddies:

Scrumpmonkey:

I know that feel bro. Between Work, actual work, other work, degree work, sleep and non-hermit activities (arrgg! sunlight! and people!) i barely have time to keep up with my gaming backlog : /

You have no idea, I have Arkham Asylum stting on top of my TV just begging to be played and I just don't have the time. I feel as if I'm missing out because of the stellar reviews it got.

Meh. It was pretty good, not exactly the second coming. The plot and staging were good but i found the basic gameplay a bit dull. The best thing about that game is Mark Hamill's Joker performance. Also Harley Quinn's ass.

If it's a game I really, really want it's a day one purchase. Any other game gets to wait until it's below 20 in price. Diablo 3 was my last day one purchase. Has been pretty dead on the game front lately, but it's changing now.
Like 10 games being released from now until the end of October that I want. x.x

I seldom buy them full price, and I usually buy them after all the DLC is out and I can get the whole thing for cheap.

Not as much as I used to. The last AAA game I bought was ME3, so that might have something to do with it.

I buy AAA games all the time, but I never buy on day one. In fact, I usually wait a couple of months before buying any game.

as long as they don't employ retarded DRM.

I still buy games. Games that look fun. If I see a game that looks fun, I'll probably own it sooner or later. Unfortunately, because AAA games get the most exposure, that's all I really see for the most part. I can only make choices in buying games that are on my radar, and lately, the ones that are on my radar are shit. So no, I don't really buy AAA games anymore.

Thanks to Steam's home page, I'm able to get a lot more smaller projects on my radar, so I am thankful when I get a good indie title. Unfortunately, it's REALLY hard to tell sometimes when an indie game will be good. I always end up waiting for a good sale before pulling the trigger on buying them, but this has lead me to feel like I cheated some small upstart of a company of money they deserved because their game wasn't just good, it was awesome.

Scrumpmonkey:

Meh. It was pretty good, not exactly the second coming. The plot and staging were good but i found the basic gameplay a bit dull. The best thing about that game is Mark Hamill's Joker performance. Also Harley Quinn's ass.

Mark Hamill and asses... Pitches like that it sounds great haha It will be good to play something apart from Battlefield for a bit anyway, I need to diversify a bit...

I acquire through other, yet well-known means. If i like it then i buy. If its garbage then my money is saved. My game completion rate is so low (because of 90% of games being garbage/lackluster/copycats/no innovation)i see no need to spending 60 bucks on something that turns out to be a steaming pile of something i wont finish.

I'm intrigued by this idea that purchasing four "Triple A" games a year is considered to be a massive reduction, as if everybody bought every "Triple A" game a year in the past and now the issues surrounding them has reduced the consumption to ONLY four a year.

There is no real shared criteria on what makes a "Triple A" game; what's the difference between say Prototype, Infamous, Dead Space and Saint's Row: The third? Which ones out of these four are "Triple A"? There are no games that are "Double A". The distinction seems now to be "Indie", "Triple A" and "Everything else", with "Everything else" sharing territory with "Triple A" whenever a commentator feels like calling anything "Triple A".

Do4600:
I'm intrigued by this idea that purchasing four "Triple A" games a year is considered to be a massive reduction, as if everybody bought every "Triple A" game a year in the past and now the issues surrounding them has reduced the consumption to ONLY four a year.

There is no real shared criteria on what makes a "Triple A" game; what's the difference between say Prototype, Infamous, Dead Space and Saint's Row: The third? Which ones out of these four are "Triple A"? There are no games that are "Double A". The distinction seems now to be "Indie", "Triple A" and "Everything else", with "Everything else" sharing territory with "Triple A" whenever a commentator feels like calling anything "Triple A".

"Triple A" is a colloquialism for the best-of-the-best, but the type of people who would rate the best-of-the-best with an A grade multiplied by three is the type of people to value the most facile aspects such as it's sales numbers, how gory it is, or how over the top or "Xtreme" it is.

De-facto, Triple-A title goes to the big-budget console games with huge marketing campaigns as large if not larger than the budget for the games themselves. And in the console-wars (that seem to have died down) when exclusives were compared, many examples of exclusives were dismissed as not being "a proper Triple-A game".

The gaming press I think coined the term Triple-A often applied to games they had not played yet nor even seen gameplay for but had played all the prequels and seen a lot of the advertising and heard many rumours. But there was just so much buzz, so much promise.

What's interesting about the console model is HUGE expenditure on marketing, low investment in originality, selling in VAST numbers yet for a high price per copy and for DLC.

I don't find the poll option that fits me here. I buy the games I want to buy and I don't really think about if the game is an indie title or if it's AAA. Day 1 DLC doesn't affect me because I buy the game new so I get it for free. DLC doesn't affect me at all unless I want the DLC. There's no-one forcing me to buy DLC.

Do4600:

The concept is nebulous and maybe a bit of an anachronism in this modern, diverse era of gaming BUT it is still the most widely understood term of big budget, mass market, high sales/visibility games. You still knew what i meant by a Tripple A title therefore the phrase is still useable to get a point across.

Lets face it, HD boxed console titles are more expensive than ever to make. Therefore a LOT of backing is required for these releases making publishers pump a fair heft of money and time into making them as 'big' as possible to maximize their impact. I would say it's not THAT hard to pick out what are supposed to be the flagship AAA titles.

..is this really the kind of question that needs to be asked "like its a thing"?

of coarse I fucking do......they are the only type of game I play

yes that's right....come at me hipster bros

EDIT: in fact..you know what? I'm tired of people hating on games just because they are "the mass appeal mainstream" fuck it, I like to get a certain experience from my games and I'M SORRY if that makes me an awful person...I really am, but you know what? why the fuck is some "look at me and how quirky I am" game considered the second-fucking-coming of Christ? I HATE that wanky pretentious "I'm art" crap, BULLSHIT

ok fine you know what? you'll know what I'll do? I'll come up with a concept for...here's an indie game that will be so fucking birilliant everyone will love it

so your an eel....your an eel swimming around in the depths of the ocean to save a lady eel, in the deep dark depths you must fight pirate skeletons while constantly swimming away from your uncle Shamus the angler fish who wishes to convert you to the anglican church of fishes and thers this clever game mechanic involving the ability to eat fish and perpetually grow longer as an ell or some shit

so how much you want to pledge to the kickstarter huh?

Yes I still buy AAA titles. I don't care about shit like project 1 dollar and the games which have cut content aren't really the games I play anyway.

I mostly play western RPGs (Bioware stuff, Skyrim) and BroOP games (Gears, Halo, Borderlands).

I also love Ass Creed and the Arkham games. I pre-ordered every Bioware game since ME2 and every Assassins Creed game after the first one.

I don't buy on day one for shit like Dead Space, Gears, Halo etc though. I get it when I'm bored or I have spare money.

So none of the poll options apply to me.

Scrumpmonkey:

Do4600:

The concept is nebulous and maybe a bit of an anachronism in this modern, diverse era of gaming BUT it is still the most widely understood term of big budget, mass market, high sales/visibility games. You still knew what i meant by a Tripple A title therefore the phrase is still useable to get a point across.

Lets face it, HD boxed console titles are more expensive than ever to make. Therefore a LOT of backing is required for these releases making publishers pump a fair heft of money and time into making them as 'big' as possible to maximize their impact. I would say it's not THAT hard to pick out what are supposed to be the flagship AAA titles.

So all four I mentioned are "Triple A"? What a coincidence. All games current gen are big budget, most games are internationally released on multiple consoles, and many games spend a huge amount of money to create visibility. Also not all big games have aggressive DRM, DLC etc etc, so your question should be; "Do you still buy games with aggressive DRM, DLC etc.etc."

Concerning the problem of quantifying "Triple A" games I'm searching the entire listings of PS3 games right now on a rather large seller's website, I'm only finding about one in five games that I don't recognize. This is odd because I don't own a present gen console let alone a PS3. I'd argue that a "Triple A" game on console could be considered to be anything that isn't obviously trash, a re-release or a small downloadable. I'd say that one third to one half of all games of this gen would be considered "Triple A" by those standards. I'll give you an example, this is a page off that website, I'm sorting the results by lowest price this is between US$20 and US$30. Let's play; "Spot the games that are not 'Triple A' on this list":

Resident Evil 5
Army of Two
Lost Planet 2
Killzone 2
F.E.A.R. 3
Time Crisis Razing Storm
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty 4
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
NPPL Championship Paintball 2009

StBishop:

I don't buy on day one for shit like Dead Space,

oh no you didn't

compared to alot of other games Dead Space is actually quite creative

I refuse to by any DLC that is not on sale and will rarely buy a AAA game if it is not 50 or more off. Paying 60 dollars for a game just sounds silly now.

I'm not getting anything until Halo 4 comes out. That said, there aren't many titles that make me want to buy them on release, and lots of "AAA" titles don't look too interesting at all anymore. The last one I got was Mass Effect 3, and I can't really come to play it over a second time.

I've all but given up on AAA titles. Not that I don't want to play some, but most I only buy used when its really cheap.

I have a few games that I love and are preordered... Borderlands 2, and the Last Story come to mind but I don't know if either are really AAA.

Also, I like to wait till they have GOTY editions.

Yopaz:
I don't find the poll option that fits me here. I buy the games I want to buy and I don't really think about if the game is an indie title or if it's AAA. Day 1 DLC doesn't affect me because I buy the game new so I get it for free. DLC doesn't affect me at all unless I want the DLC. There's no-one forcing me to buy DLC.

Well many people have a problem with many other practices, like project ten dollars (even though EA is shutting down the servers within 8 months). Day 1 DLC is a bad move because some of the time it's cut-content from the full game being sold back to you. Day 1 DLC is not always free (in fact its rarely free unless there is a store specific promotion or 'collectors edition') and sometimes is already on the disk like in resident evil 5.

Most of the time I'm buying PC games so the biggest kicker for me is REALLY retarded DRM and forced use services. Don't even get me started on GFWL. If a game has GFWL i will never buy it no matter what it is. Never. End of.

Scrumpmonkey:

Yopaz:

Well many people have a problem with many other practices, like project ten dollars (even though EA is shutting down the servers within 8 months). Day 1 DLC is a bad move because some of the time it's cut-content from the full game being sold back to you. Day 1 DLC is not always free (in fact its rarely free unless there is a store specific promotion or 'collectors edition') and sometimes is already on the disk like in resident evil 5.

Most of the time I'm buying PC games so the biggest kicker for me is REALLY retarded DRM and forced use services. Don't even get me started on GFWL. If a game has GFWL i will never buy it no matter what it is. Never. End of.

Can you give me an example of EA shutting down the services of a game they are still selling passes to?

I am not doubting you, I would just like a concrete example to see what parameters affected the decision to shut down the matchmaking.

I occasionally buy AAA games but never on day 1. Most games now fall into the "I can wait for the gold/ultimate/platinum/special edition that comes with all patches, expansions and DLC" category.

Seriously guys, AMAZON - I'm a console gamer (hence why I'm not using Steam) and I haven't paid near full price for a game in years. I can't understand why Gamestop is still in business while Amazon exists.

Yes. I tend to wait before buying them before the prices go down though. I enjoy games too much to arbitrarily stop playing certain ones because other people have a problem with them and I personally have never had a problem with lots of the things you're describing.

I'm not outright against AAA games, but I am against paying more than I consider the game to be worth; hence I rarely pay for any game at release, let alone AAA games.

Norix596:
Seriously guys, AMAZON - I'm a console gamer (hence why I'm not using Steam) and I haven't paid near full price for a game in years. I can't understand why Gamestop is still in business while Amazon exists.

Even though amazon do games a bit cheaper than usual, I still personally hold the view that many games don't even warrant the price Amazon gives them. Paying almost 30 (PC gamer here) for anything less than a masterpiece seems silly to me.

Draech:

Scrumpmonkey:

Yopaz:

Can you give me an example of EA shutting down the services of a game they are still selling passes to?

I am not doubting you, I would just like a concrete example to see what parameters affected the decision to shut down the matchmaking.

Well obviously they don't still sell passes for them once they have shut down (i hope) but they were selling passes right up until the shut-off date. The thing i take issue with is that their excuse for project 10 dollar was that it would help pay for their multiplayer costs.

There is an in-built dishonesty to charging someone extra for the online service but turning it off just as fast anyway. It exposes project 10 dollar as a sly used games tax and a naked money grab.

Since online pass is quite new the only game that has been culled so far is the first online pass game, MMA, which was shut-down after only 14 months of release. This is made worse by the fact that up until recently a direct quote from the online pass website was "extend the life of products".

That delicious gen has since been artfully removed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked