TF2 Servers with "Premium Accounts"

Pages PREV 1 2

That kind of thing is bullshit. That's just a pay-to-win model in a non-pay-to-win game. I've seen lots of servers that have premium accounts but nothing like that. The skial servers are good examples of premium account servers.

Well they should really have notifications of premiums up front but beyond that it is their own thing to run.

And honestly stick to tried and true servers, you get a nice community going and people start playing much more like teams.

If they would keep out of quickplay (which is already done for the heinous crime of diabling random crits), I'd have no problem with them. Until then, though, I will continue them the nerd-rage they deserve.

Went on a Saigns Hightower server once, would never go back.

There are fairly good server communities like Lotus and Skial that, despite begging for donations a little bit too much sometimes, are generally a very pleasant play experience with good admins. I have a couple of Lotus ones and about 8 Skial servers in my favourites and I move between them depending on the maps I feel like, the numbers on the server and the quality of play there.

Quickplay should put you in a Valve server. All server operators running forced 30 second Pinion advertisements should be delisted. Blacklist pay to win servers with impunity and favorite good active servers. If you find an especially good one, consider contributing to the cost of operation with a donation and help keep them afloat.

A lot of servers do the whole donator perks thing, but maybe I'm lucky and the ones I tend to find are usually non-gameplay related. Like unusual effects for their stuff, paint, etc. And of course the classic can't be killed during end of game. Of course I say away from the usual suspects like nighteam and saign, not sure why someone mentioned skial, I never noticed anything messed up going on over there.

One of the worst experiences I had was when the main donator perk was the ability to switch your team regardless of size, and to be immune to autobalance. So it was pretty much steamroll fortress 2 since all the "pros" would just keep team stacking. Fortunately they seemed to have cleaned up their act but god did that suck.

I do remember one time in my newbie days I ran into a server that had like a heavy moving at light-speed with a lvl3 SG hovering over his head......

All the servers I play here in Australia are paid for with ad revenue. It's slightly annoying that I have to watch a 13 second ad when I first join a server but from there out it's just good ol' TF2 and it doesn't bother you until the next time you join a server.

Seems like a clever, more or less unobtrusive way to pay for a server than what you're describing. I agree that access to reskins or whatever would be just fine but then you have the whole hitbox balance issues.

Tiamattt:
One of the worst experiences I had was when the main donator perk was the ability to switch your team regardless of size, and to be immune to autobalance. So it was pretty much steamroll fortress 2 since all the "pros" would just keep team stacking. Fortunately they seemed to have cleaned up their act but god did that suck.

Yeah, I'm all for stock rules, but as mentioned, the problem with frequenting a common server is that often the regulars and donators obviously know each other, and thus would prefer playing with their friends and team stacking against the other side who'll end up being all the new people.

And of course, the end result is the new people notice the steamrolling and think the server sucks and leave, so the server starts dwindling as the server population lowers over time. I'd prefer playing in a game where one side wins or loses by 1 point, instead of 10. You'd get the adrenaline rush, the thrill that one wrong move while the clock is ticking down could spell disaster. A steam roll makes me fall asleep even if I'm on the winning side.

In fact, the only gameplay mod I would ever justify on a server I manage would be something akin to Homefront's bounty for high value targets (HVT). Where, in TF2 terms, if someone gets say, 3 or more dominations is revenge killed, then a buff banner effect is placed on the killer, which might result in another revenge kill and maybe a balance for the teams. Think of it as a morale boost. So steam rolling has a disadvantage, as the more dominations you get, the higher the chances for a revenge and reverse steamroll.

Anyway, if you can't find a good server to be a regular on, please please please help us get the Esc TF2 servers populated! Why try to find one, when you can create and influence one from the start?

Also, it means we can taunt kill Kross cuz he's ez. ;)

I don't mind. I mean, they have to maintain the server somehow besides their potential day jobs.

I played on one where engineers could buid four Lvl 3 sentries, all their buildings were near invincible, sappers didn't stop them from working, and dispensers fired homing rockets. It is just disgusting.

Most of the time I avoid them but hey it's their server so they can do what they like.

It is sometimes fun if you are able to beat the players with advantages. Makes me feel boss.

The only time I've encountered this was on trade servers and I have no problem with it there since no one is playing seriously and there isn't an actual match going on but in completely against selling power during a competive match.

I had a real dodgy one once, where i was sniping some regular, and noticed that smoke particle effects were being spawned in front of my scope XD
(like, I unscoped and walked to the side and saw them all floating there still)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked