Games you like that are "uncool" to like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Halo 1,2 and 3 (haven't played the rest)
Civilization V
I enjoy the CoD single-player campaigns
Mirror's Edge

I think that's it for now.

Starik20X6:

tokae:

Starik20X6:
Well, I'd hardly say it's 'cool' for an early 20's male to say he really likes Animal Crossing, so I'll go with that.

Damn fine game though. My GC-disc broke some time ago.. I should try to find a new one. If I had the money I would invest in a 3DS or a WiiU and get one of the new ones. It's just pure happiness!

That sucks dude. I'm so psyched for New Leaf it's crazy. There's this fantastic catharsis I get from the game- hardly anyone else seems to 'get' it though.

Oh yeah! As I said, if I wasn't as poor as I am I would be so psyched for it! There's just something about Animal Crossing-games that gives me a "christmas morning"-feeling, and the hours just seem to disappear. I couldn't care less about the social-stigma of playing a game meant for "kids", it's FUN!

Gears of War. A lot of people see it as "steroid's and macho men", but I like the gothic architecture, weapon designs, intense multiplayer battles and the overall universe. The dialogue and in-game plots are appalling, but the series itself I really like.

BrotherSurplice:

AndrewF022:
I really like Conflict Desert Storm on the PS2, I vastly preferred it over Socom at the time.

I absolutely loved that game when I was younger. Tough as nails on the later levels (Scud boulevard/alley anyone?), and I still haven't completed it, but it took up so much of my time.

On topic, I loved Halo 4. There were some bad points (retcons and errors in the backstory etc), but overall I loved it just as much as the older games. And the ending, oh good god the ending. All of my manly tears were shed.

I cried a little for Chief at the end, makes me wonder what will happen to him come Halo 5

COD black ops 2 multiplayer was pretty fun

COD doesn't pretend to be anything it's not; it's fluid, sharp controls, tactics, classes, loadouts, perks, game modes, good level design and well balanced.

I think it's pretty ironic that the vocal internet accuse each other of playing COD whilst they eat up ubisoft's incrementally improved annual assassins creed games (with stealth mechanics as poor as adventure platformers - Uncharted) and think Hitman Absolution is a good hitman game.

Assasin's Creed 3, could have been far better. But the setting is enjoyable for me. Connor also ended up being my favourite assassin.

Final Fantasy XII.
Ivalice always felt like the best mix of the old school FF with the sci-fi bits from the newer games.
The customization and almost Vagrant Story style combat was pretty fun.

JemothSkarii:
On another note, I found Splinter Cell: Conviction to be fun...I like the idea of Sam on the run...I consider myself a stealth game vet (Thief 2, MGS, Hitman etc.) and I found it interesting.

Actually i found Splinter Cell Conviction to be one of the most underrated and unfairly maligned games of this generation.

Contrary to what the popular opinion is, it was still very much a stealth game, even if one that wasn't as punishing if you didn't wanted it to be. And except "that one level", the feeling of clearing a room unseen or while guards are actually hunting you with the game's incredibly quick pace was always amazing. Add to that an extensive Co-Op Campaign, a cool presentation and that i found myself at least invested in the story of a Splinter Cell game (something that outside of Double Agent never happened), and its just a great game.

But nooo, people rather bitch and moan if thier new toys don't smell like the old ones... : /

SonicWaffle:

TizzytheTormentor:
I like Nintendo games (taboo around here)

...it is?

Whenever we have these threads, I'm always amazed by the stuff people say about the things they think other Escapists hate, since I rarely see any evidence of it (well, except poor old BioWare, we still get a lot of muppets ranting about what an awful studio they are). I like Nintendo too, I just never play their stuff because I have an Xbox.

People seem to be irritated by Nintendo and it's "rehashes" and how the Wii-U is a lame console, whatever the reason, I have seen a lot of people complain about Nintendo (although not to the extent that Bioware gets it, you are right on that one)

Not trying to generalize anyone of course.

OT: Also, Final Fantasy 13-2, I didn't like 13, but I adored 13-2.

Sims 3.... ok dont look at me like that i got it before i started my boycott(s) and my sister still buys expansions which im more than happy to also install

seriously stop looking at me like that

Aliens Vs Predator 2010. yes the single player sucks and is only good to get a grasp of controls but that multiplayer
ever been in a match with 8 aliens vs 8 marines and your one of the marines separted from your team mates? its truely terrifying when you here the pings of you motion tracker

The Sims 3 is probably my biggest sin. I also don't play COD or Battlefield or anything. You are more likely to find me playign Japanese Indies, RPG's or cutesy platformers.

I do like some FPS horror though.

I like Mass Effect 3 and the original Black Ops and Monster Hunter games.
I didn't really like Deus Ex, GTA or Borderlands 2, and I think Journey looked stupid.
Prepare the flame-shields.

Bejeweled 2. Yes...I know it's a "casual" game. But it's so damned addicting. Plus the music is reminiscent of my wayward youth in the 80's, so it has the nostalgia factor for me.

Oh very well...here's something specific to this community; I LIKE "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion".

There. I said it. Yes, Bethesda started neutering the freedom and introduced the dreaded "leveling problem", and all the people had ugly fish faces...but I really enjoyed the quests. And it was fun to make a Dark Elf that looked like me.

Diablo 3 (when it works, it's actually pretty good - although Hardcore is obviously a dead loss due to connection issues) and Final Fantasy X-2 (hey series, remember when the characters actually seemed like they were enjoying themselves? The fanservice is ludicrous - Scan Lv.3 - but damn, at least YRP are having fun rather than just wangsting about how shit everything is).

But really, anything that came out on anything that wasn't a console before 1990. Americans bleat on about The Great Video Games Crash of 1983, but back in Europe we had a thriving industry on home computers (ZX Spectrum vs Commodore 64 in particular) that lasted throughout the decade and produced some utterly incredible games - that half the world doesn't even seem to acknowledge the existence of.

Depends on the crowd. I love the recent Platinum games, namely Bayonetta, Vanquish and MGR: Rising, I did not bother with Anarchy Reigns. While I'm sure it's appreciated here, within my personal game circle the reactions range from shrugs to outright dismissal of playing games with that particular style.

What's a bit more of flamebait, I adored the first Force Unleashed. I thought it did a great job of making you feel empowered and I think the story was just engaging enough to make you feel like you were on a Star Wars themed holiday with all the fancy locales it featured.

Now the second one, even I can't make a case for it. Having hardly payed anything for it, after not getting it at first due to the negative reviews, I can't say I wasted money on it. But watching all that potential being squandered in an ultra-short game, forever a waste :(

TizzytheTormentor:

SonicWaffle:

TizzytheTormentor:
I like Nintendo games (taboo around here)

...it is?

Whenever we have these threads, I'm always amazed by the stuff people say about the things they think other Escapists hate, since I rarely see any evidence of it (well, except poor old BioWare, we still get a lot of muppets ranting about what an awful studio they are). I like Nintendo too, I just never play their stuff because I have an Xbox.

People seem to be irritated by Nintendo and it's "rehashes" and how the Wii-U is a lame console, whatever the reason, I have seen a lot of people complain about Nintendo (although not to the extent that Bioware gets it, you are right on that one)

I guess I miss a lot of this stuff because I just don't follow the news as closely as many, and I only come on these forums to have a huge burst of activity every month or so before disappearing again. I do lurk, but I probably miss a lot. The Wii U, for instance, has completely passed me by - until you just told me, I didn't know it was supposed to be lame. Only one of my friends actually has it, and he raves about it all the time.

As for the re-hashes, I'd argue that it's a load of bollocks anyway. If you show someone Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy side-by-side, or Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, and they still insist that the games are the same, I think you're legally allowed to hit them. Franchise =/= re-hash, at least not if you take pains to actually change things between the installments.

TizzytheTormentor:

Out of interest, if you didn't like the original why did you bother picking up the sequel?

I like the Assassins Creed games

.... and Aliens: Colonial Marines
I didn't listen to any hype so I went into it with no expectations. It helps to have a partner (perhaps misery loves company?)

COD:BLOPS 2 - The single player was ok but the mutliplayer now has proper bots that are actually fun to play with, its great for 4 player splitscreen and stuff like that.

Gears of War - I really like Gears of War, but in here its a "dudebro" game so yeah... Either way, the single player in the hardest difficulties really makes the player think of ways to flank the enemies and the game does become something different then a "Whack-a-mole" shooter. The multiplayer can also be great if the teams play smartly enough to supress and flank the enemy (I dont know how many games actually let you do that in a multiplayer match). Its a great game to apply some basic tactics. And then there are also the bots and Horde/Beast mode.

Both Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV.

Frybird:

JemothSkarii:
On another note, I found Splinter Cell: Conviction to be fun...I like the idea of Sam on the run...I consider myself a stealth game vet (Thief 2, MGS, Hitman etc.) and I found it interesting.

Actually i found Splinter Cell Conviction to be one of the most underrated and unfairly maligned games of this generation.

I found it a pretty annoying game to be honest, particularly the wonky control scheme. I was especially annoyed when they re-packaged it as Hitman: Absolution and expected me not to notice :-P

Zen Bard:
There. I said it. Yes, Bethesda started neutering the freedom and introduced the dreaded "leveling problem", and all the people had ugly fish faces...but I really enjoyed the quests. And it was fun to make a Dark Elf that looked like me.

...so, if I'm reading what you've written correctly, you're saying that you have an ugly fish face?

Harsh, dude.

Moonlight Butterfly:
The Sims 3 is probably my biggest sin.

Great. Good job. You made me think "the Sims sin" and now it's running through my head on a loop to the tune of the intro from the Simpsons.

My brain is weird :-(

Not long ago, an Escapist reminded me of a game that's been languishing in my backlog for a while.

Fortune Summoners.

I've just started an earnest effort to complete the game. Some on my friends list have levelled some mild derision at me. I'll start taking it to heart just as soon as they've beaten the prologue on Hard or above. Heheheh.

SonicWaffle:

TizzytheTormentor:

SonicWaffle:

...it is?

I guess I miss a lot of this stuff because I just don't follow the news as closely as many, and I only come on these forums to have a huge burst of activity every month or so before disappearing again. I do lurk, but I probably miss a lot. The Wii U, for instance, has completely passed me by - until you just told me, I didn't know it was supposed to be lame. Only one of my friends actually has it, and he raves about it all the time.

As for the re-hashes, I'd argue that it's a load of bollocks anyway. If you show someone Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy side-by-side, or Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, and they still insist that the games are the same, I think you're legally allowed to hit them. Franchise =/= re-hash, at least not if you take pains to actually change things between the installments.

TizzytheTormentor:

Out of interest, if you didn't like the original why did you bother picking up the sequel?

I don't think the Wii-U is lame, I plan on getting one, I think it looks great, but opinions are many.

The rehash argument has been done to death I assure you, it is a load of bollocks, but is still used (a bit on these forums and a whole lot more on others) Because franchises like Mario have been in tons of genres, racing, platforming, rpg's, sports, board etc. They make more because people want them, will buy them and will enjoy them, sticking to a formula that works doesn't mean its a rehash.

As for Final Fantasy 13-2, I didn't pick up the sequel, my sister did and I borrowed it off her to see if it was better and I am so glad I did.

Oh man, there are so many games I like that qualify.

Assassin's Creed 3
Dragon Age 2
Mass Effect 3
Resident Evil 6
Modern Warfare 2
The new DmC (I still prefer the prior games in the series but this is still a strong title)
Final Fantasy XIII-2

And the one series I like that is just considered uncool among the general populace instead of just the gaming community...

The Sims (1, 2 & 3)

I think part of the reason I like so many of these "uncool" games is that my only real requirement is "Am I having fun?" Yeah, there will be things I dislike about a game or I may prefer earlier instalments but it won't be enough to have me declare it as devil spawn.

I should probably have more strict requirements but this is what keeps me happy.

Man once this tread has run it's cause it's gonna need fumigation.

Buccura:
Call it a guilty pleasure, call it seeing the good in everything, whatever you want to call it I'm sure we all have at least one game that we like, even though it's "uncool" to like it. If you bring up the fact that you like it, more often than not you will get criticized for it, either because it's too "mainstream", or there are just too many things wrong with it to everyone else.

Right now, I think the most significant game I like that's "uncool" is Diablo III. Yes, the Battle.net stuff surrounding it is utter BS. I will never be a fan of always-on DRM.

The game itself, however, I actually think is really fun. It's not as deep as Diablo II (Or Torchlight II for that matter), but for what it is I actually find the game to be very enjoyable. Hell I even liked the story for it. It wasn't anything great but after I finished it, I honestly had a hard time seeing why people were bashing it so much.

Well, aside from

Still, for what it is I really like Diablo III, even though I understand why a lot of people don't, especially when the DRM is brought up.

Black Ops I/II
Diablo III
World of Warcraft
Pokemon
Hawken - Best Mech Game Ever.
Halo 4

I like AvP 2010 and sonic heroes.

Resident Evil 6

The game's pretty much been crucified, vivisected, and paraded around town as a pathetic example of homogenization and a series desperately needing to either be rebooted, or forgotten about entirely and left in the dirt.

You know, I'm not going to pretend the game doesn't have problems.

But I still like it!

The co-op is a blast, each campaign is of fair length and feels very different from one another and each builds up to a satisfying conclusion, but perhaps my favorite thing about the game are the J'avo enemies.

and i STILL play RE6 every now and then as well. Yes, I really do like this game.

The entire post-Modern Warfare CoD series is pretty uncool to like in gaming circles. I haven't played much of all of them, but BlOps2 is great fun with friends.

I like Sonic Adventure and absolutely LOVE Sonic Adventure 2.

I enjoy the Halo series.

I always end up playing the latest COD and enjoy it.

Mass Effect 3 was an awesome game

I.. I really liked both FF XIII and XIII-2, I'm sorry. >:

None.
Things are cool because I like them. Other people act accordingly.

Fifa games.

They're really fun to play with my brother, but i can't give them more credit than that

Dragon Age 2.

I must have written the amount of a short novel on this, i have defended it on many threads, and i will in this one too. Sure the combat was much more null, enemies popped out of nowhere and they used the same 3 caves on everything, but despite all that, the combat did feel much more energetic and fast, the story felt well put together, and the setting of Kirkwall was not too shabby, and neither were the characters. I will have to say that i do prefer DA:O to DA2, but DA2 is still good in my opinion.

kyosai7:
I enjoy playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 with friends.

Also, I friggin LOVED Too Human. REALLY underrated game.

Im not sure if Blops 2, or COD in general, actually counts. Cause really, its cool to think COD is uncool, so its not really hating on COD because its uncool, its hating on COD so to be cool...

Also, I enjoy Blops 2 as well.

Anathrax:
Brink. Nonexistent single player and launch issues aside I enjoyed that game more than *sets up citadel* Team Fortress 2.

I loved Brink when it first came out... shame it didnt catch on. It may have been rough, but it was the first (and like AP, likely to be the only) game of its own particular niche. It could only have gotten better with sequels.

Andy of Comix Inc:
I'm surprised how many people are picking really populist games. Hell, games that were both critically and commercially successful. I know The Escapist community has tried to keep up its "indie cred" and such, but come on guys. You can't pick Black Ops 2 of Battlefield 3! They were multi-million sellers! Hundreds of thousands of people play them every day! They have enjoyed great success and have secured themselves massive fanbases. If playing popular games is "uncool," then, well, what the hell is cool.

Possibly because they are commercially successful is that they are disliked by many people. Not only people here tend to think of massively successful games as little more than innocent, popcorn entertainment at best; but popular games are those that are most likely to be uncool to like (not popular games just don't garner enough attention to be considered cool or uncool). If I said I liked "FUEL", for example, that wouldn't qualify because its so obscure its coolness would go either way.

OT: I liked DMC, even more than I liked most of the previous games of the franchise.

Zhukov:
Angry Birds. I really don't see why anyone would hate on this game. Well, okay... I do, it's because it's popular among non-"hardcore" gamers, and people can be complete twats about that sort of thing, but I don't see a good reason to hate on it. It's a thoroughly amusing way to kill time in a waiting room or during a slow lunch break.

I reckon a lot of the hate is because of the developers Rovio.They've had one(admittedly huge)hit which wasn't even an original idea and suddenly they're acting all Billy Big Bollocks talking about how they're the future of the games industry etc.Since then they've kinda become the Activision of mobile gaming milking their one mega successful franchise to death

I don't personally think it's a valid reason to hate the game but I've seen a similar(albeit on a much smaller scale)backlash against the likes of Braid and Fez because their developers came across as dicks in interviews

AndrewF022:
I really like Conflict Desert Storm on the PS2, I vastly preferred it over Socom at the time.

When was Conflict:Desert Storm ever considered uncool?I loved that game and it's sequel(Vietnam and Global Storm were not as good however)I have very fond memories of playing those games in co-op with my brother

Kinda puts me in the mood to play them again.To Amazon we go

if the COD collection is the "Cool" game, then all my games are "uncool" and i couldn't give less a shit even if i was bullied about my "uncool" games. who gives a crap if a game is "cool" or not? play whatever the hell you want. what are you 13?

* rant *

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked