Doom Eternal players are getting a single-player horde mode instead of the previously promised Invasion Mode update. Marty Stratton, Doom Eternal‘s executive producer at id Software, announced the change in plans in a letter to fans posted on social media. He stated that the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, along with remote working conditions, impacted development on the Invasion Mode.
Additionally, Stratton explained that id paid close attention to how players engaged with Doom Eternal’s expansions and Master Levels throughout the last year, saying that all of these factors helped lead to the shift in focus. It’s unclear if the free Invasion Mode has been outright canceled for Doom Eternal, but it’s probably best to keep expectations low.
“We’re confident this horde mode will offer you more of the diversity and challenge you’re looking for in the game,” Stratton said.
Doom Eternal players can also expect a “refresh” of the game’s multiplayer Battlemode, which will include a rank-based structure that’s more competitive, as well as more balance updates and an additional map.
An important update on the development of DOOM Eternal from id Software Executive Producer Marty Stratton. pic.twitter.com/RPfhek2crI
— id Software (@idSoftware) July 2, 2021
Doom Eternal launched in March 2020 and has received a steady stream of updates since. Id notably wrapped up The Ancient Gods DLC story with its second chapter back in March. A current-gen upgrade for players on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X | S arrived earlier this week as well, bringing features such as ray tracing and higher frame rates. It’s unclear when we’ll get our hands on the Doom Eternal single-player horde mode and Battlemode revamp, though Stratton said that they will share more of id’s plans during QuakeCon this August.