Depending upon whom you ask, Final Fantasy VI is still the greatest game in the entire franchise, and it’s a masterpiece of the RPG genre regardless. Newcomers will have to wait a bit longer to play it though, in remastered form at least. Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster will now launch with a February 2022 release date on PC via Steam and mobile. The slight delay is to provide more polish, and those who pre-purchase the game on Steam will now receive additional free stuff.
An update on the Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster.
— FINAL FANTASY (@FinalFantasy) December 21, 2021
This includes a few PC wallpapers and some music tracks, mostly “Timelapse Remixes,” which are remixes that start as the original SNES versions of songs before segueing into the remastered audio; the idea is to show how much sound quality has evolved with time. Here is all the free stuff that comes with Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster if you pre-purchase it (or have already purchased it through the bundle) on PC via Steam:
- ・Locke’s Theme (Timelapse Remix) [NOW ADDED TO PRE-PURCHASE ITEMS]
- ・The Decisive Battle (Timelapse Remix)
- ・Terra’s Theme (Timelapse Remix)
- ・Searching for Friends (Timelapse Remix)
- ・Aria di Mezzo Carattere (Instrumental) [NOW ADDED TO PRE-PURCHASE ITEMS]Special Wallpapers
- ・FF6: 2 types of wallpapers
- ・FF1-6: 2 types of pixel remastered series wallpapers [NOW ADDED TO PRE-PURCHASE ITEMS]
Scans of the most recent issue of Famitsu appear to illustrate that Final Fantasy VI Remaster will employ the “HD-2D” visual style of Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy for at least some scenes, particularly the famous opera scene. This change will likely have a major impact on how these scenes feel, heightening player excitement to get their hands on this remaster. Stay tuned for a final release date of Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster in February.