During a special broadcast, Square Enix revealed a 10-year roadmap for Final Fantasy XIV, giving players a guide for the next decade of content coming to its massively popular MMORPG. The event was hosted by producer and director Naoki Yoshida, who explained goals such as delivering improved graphics and fleshed-out gameplay mechanics that will help maintain interest among the title’s 25 million+ registered players.
The journey to 2032 begins with the upcoming 6.1 patch. The update features several changes made with solo players in mind and will expand upon the in-game Trust System, which allows players to experience the story at their own pace with NPCs in place of the usual player-controlled party members. Meanwhile, visual improvements to Final Fantasy XIV will begin to be implemented with the launch of the next expansion pack. These changes will include better character and world visuals, increasing texture resolution, material qualities, and the quality of lighting and shadow effects.
A decade is a long time, but Yoshida and Square Enix at least shared a partial roadmap for the next 10 years of Final Fantasy XIV that you can see below.
A Partial Final Fantasy XIV 10-Year Roadmap
Patch 6.1 Series
- New Main Scenario Questline – Patch 6.1 – 6.5
- “Somehow Further Hildibrand Adventures” – Patch 6.1 – 6.5
- “Tataru’s Grand Endeavor” Sidequest Series – Patch 6.1 – 6.5
- Myths of the Realm #1 (Alliance Raid)
- Crystalline Conflict (New PvP)
- Arkasodara Tribe Quests and Dailies
- Dragonsong’s Reprise (New Ultimate Duty)
- Ultima’s Bane (Unreal)
- Trust Support for A Realm Reborn (Patch 2.0) Main Scenario Dungeons
- New Calling Card-Style UI (Name TBD)
- New Hairstyles for Hrothgar
- Empyreum (Ishgard Housing)
- Custom Deliveries: Ameliance
- Plus, New Trials and other assorted updates…
Patch 6.2 Series
- Trust Support for A Realm Reborn 2.X Main Scenario Dungeons
- Trust Support for 2-3 Heavensward™ Main Scenario Dungeons
- New Weapon Enhancements
- New “Criterion” Dungeon with Variable Difficulty (for 1–4 Players)
- “Island Sanctuary” Debuts
- Plus Pandæmonium, Faux Hollows, Other Trials, and more…
Patch 6.3 Series
- Trust system for Remaining Heavensward Main Scenario Dungeons
- Deep Dungeon Series #3
- Ultimate Duty #5
- Island Sanctuary Updates
- Plus Myths of the Realm, Faux Hollows, Other Trials, and more…
Patch 6.4 and Patch 6.5 Series
- Trust system for Stormblood™ Main Scenario Dungeons
- “Criterion” Dungeons #2 & #3
- Additional Area for Island Sanctuary
- Plus the Conclusion to Pandæmonium, Further Myths of the Realm, Faux Hollows, Other Trials, and more…
- More Plans for Patches 6.4 and 6.5 are being made as we speak!
A Final Fantasy XIV free trial is coming back to sway new users as well; you can register starting tomorrow, February 22. This is an expanded free trial that includes all content from the A Realm Reborn and Heavensward expansions and adds the Au Ra as a playable race. The free trial puts no limit on playtime and also adds three new playable jobs to the offer: Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist. It’s a tough deal to pass up, and with 10 more years of content on the way, it’s clear the MMORPG will continue being one of Square Enix’s key offerings.