90s Cartoons That Have Aged Well

Pages PREV 1 2

Arnoxthe1:

Avnger:
And you know that none of the users here are young girls how?

Are you being serious right now?

The rest of the shows are at least aimed at the male gender. (Which about 90% of users here are.) Now if you're a woman, I suppose that's a different story and Powerpuff Girls could still be relevant to you but there you go.

So you're upset because you aren't the one being specifically catered to with every single show mention in this thread...

saint of m:
Ducktails and Darkwing Duck anyone?

Have you watched them recently. They are pretty bad watching them now in my opinion, but I loved them when I was younger.

Avnger:
So you're upset because you aren't the one being specifically catered to with every single show mention in this thread...

Who said anything about being upset? I just think it's incredibly silly to say that Powerpuff Girls has aged well. It hasn't aged well. It hasn't aged at all. You know why?

Because it's a show for little girls. XD

Arnoxthe1:

Avnger:

Who said anything about being upset? I just think it's incredibly silly to say that Powerpuff Girls has aged well. It hasn't aged well. It hasn't aged at all. You know why?

Because it's a show for little girls. XD

Just like every single other one of those shows is for youngins. What exactly was your point in protesting PPG then? Because its very much coming across as you being bothered by it simply because it is aimed at girls instead of boys or both.

Let's be honest- they all pretty much do. Though Tintin and Rugrats especially were the bomb

Avnger:
Because its very much coming across as you being bothered by it

I think it's wrong but I'm not bothered. As to the rest of the cartoons, I could also argue that a good half of them haven't aged well in any way because they're simple shows with simple characters and simple plots. Animaniacs. Tiny Toons Adventures. Powerpuff Girls...

And hey, that's fine when you're a kid, but if you're really still entertained by such when you're an adult and not just because of nostalgia then... Sorry, but you got some bad/childish taste.

I still get a kick out of Ren and Stimpy. Kinda surprised no-one mentioned it yet.

It was basically a meme festival before memes were a thing.

Other than that, pretty much everything else has been mentioned.

Spade Lead:

saint of m:

Have you watched them recently. They are pretty bad watching them now in my opinion, but I loved them when I was younger.

I can't speak for Ducktails and I'm sure Darkwing Duck has had some weak, unmemorable episodes (when you made over 80 of them it's inevitable), but I just rewatched the Justice Ducks 2-parter to test your theory and still laughed. Probably more entertaining than the upcoming Justice League movie by some indications.

Other good ones: Darkly Dawns the Duck, Time and Punishment, and pretty much any episode involving Negaduck.

I wrote a long list and found every single last one (except for two, guess which ones) in this thread already.

Reboot
Beastwars
Roughnecks
Courage The Cowardly Dog
King Of The Hill
Swat Katz
Shadow Raiders
Mighty Ducks
Recess
Spawn
Batman: The Animated Series
Animaniacs (And Pinky and the Brain)
Tiny Toon Adventures
Rocko's Modern Life
Gargoyles
The Simpsons
Hey Arnold!
The Powerpuff Girls
Dexters Laboratory
Darkwing Duck
Ducktales
Freakazoid
X-Men
Digimon
Batman Beyond
Ren and Stimpy
Tintin

P.S. To the person who say that PPG is for prepubescent girls, DID YOU EVER WATCH THAT SHOW?!

That show was violent and had so many sexual jokes that one would be hard-pressed to think would make it past modern censors.

As for the simple personalities in many of these cartoons, that was some of their greatest strengths!

It does not matter if it was 20 years ago or 70 years ago, it makes for easily relateable characters.

Breakdown:
Duckman!

Sadly nobody else seems to remember this heroic duck.

Duckman was some depressing shit.

Powerpuff girls was entirely about three superheros who routinely kicked monster/super villain ass how is that targeted only to girls? It has held up by the way
Batman the animated series of course

I watched the first series of Digimon again not to long ago and it held up remarkably well I liked how they were able to tackle some pretty heavy issues even though some of the banter/puns were pure cringe.

I dunno how well it help up by any other people's standards, but I really liked CyberSix. The intro gives me chills

I liked the Powerpuff episode where the Ameba Boys got sick and were trying to get arrested, and then Blossom said to them something like "We've got to take you back right away and fuck you up"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3CKmbnwycc

That sure doesn't sound like "lock"

I also really liked Duckman, though I didn't watch the show until some time in the 2000s

I also watched Beast Wars, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, Batman, Gargoyles, and others
Those are all still pretty good, and I watched at least some of them all recently. Still good.

A good chuck of the comic books cartoons.

Batman/Superman/Spider-Man/Justice League/etc.
All still hold up.

Digimon still holds up pretty well honestly, found it on DVD and i was surprised how dark it got in later on in the season, and season 2.

Beast Wars: Transformers, while the CGI has certainly....dated, is still quite strong story/character wise.

Animaniacs, Dexters Lab, Ed, Edd and Eddy, The Cramp Twins and pretty much anything on 90's cartoon network/Fox kids is all still fun today.

Gorfias:

Joseph Bradley:
What are some 90s cartoons that you feel have aged well?

Batman: The Animated Series

snip

Samtemdo8:
Dexter's Laboratory Seasons 1 and 2 and the Ego Trip Movie.

Is this 90s or 2000 on? Cuz Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samuri Jack and Power Puff girls, all from the same era, all very smart and different. (I am still know to sing Omelette du framage in the shower to this day).

I do miss Dexter's lab

Pink Panther and friends!
The Inspector and Ant and the Aardvark

Plenty have mentioned the 90's X-Men cartoon, but how could hardly anyone have mentioned this?:

Seriously, this along with the PS1 Spider-Man games are the whole reason I ever got into Spider-Man in the first place, and those would still keep him my favorite supehero to this day on their strength alone even if the comics and other media weren't generally pretty damned good too.

Ogoid:
Most others I remember were already mentioned, so... Aeon Flux.

Well, the third "season", anyway. The first two were a bit too abstract and plotless for my tastes (even though Peter Chung's particular brand of weird futuristic aesthetics still looks good to me), but the third is up there with my all-time favorite TV shows.

Thats the kind of show that for some it aged like milk and for others like wine.

I still like it and find it very inspiring with its tone and attitude

josemlopes:

Thats the kind of show that for some it aged like milk and for others like wine.

I still like it and find it very inspiring with its tone and attitude

Word.

What I most liked about it was Aeon and Trevor's ever-ambivalent relationship, both always as ready to shoot one another as to have passionate (and kinky) sex.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, A Last Time for Everything was my favorite episode out of the whole bunch.

I also forgot some other classics

Pinky and the Brain
Freakazoid
Dexter's Laboratory
The Tick
Batman Beyond
The Ren and Stimpy Show
Superman: The Animated Series
Men in Black: The Series (I actually never saw the movie in its entirety, but I watched the show a lot)
The Magic School Bus (While some of the characters can be bland at times, the educational material and locations are fun for kids who want to learn science)
Bobby's World (its a pleasant show to say the least)
Arthur (not really a big fan of it, but I admit that its a great show for its target audience. Surprised its still making new episodes honestly)

There's probably some others I watched that i'm forgot to mention honestly

Rocko's Modern Life summed up the 90s existential angst in the face of the future. Seeing the problems we're currently living, but nothing changes for the fact that none of us growing up during that decade had any real ideas of how to alter our living condition.

Rocko's Modern Life was also interesting in that it was a kid's show that showed us adults. People with jobs, being butchered by an unkind reality that you're not really a grown up.... you just sort of grow taller in the culture of mindless consumption.

And it's true, in a way. Rocko is far more akin to myself as an adult and how I see other "adults" around me to be years before the fact, with a level of prescience that is somewhat frightening. 30 year olds writing 20,000 word essays on the "Death of the Simpsons" or Adventure Time, and the like.

The mainstreaming of geek culture.

Grown up weaboos... obsessing about what other vacuous, troupish, childishly drawn caricature of humanity. As if some grotesquery of a Frankenstein's monster of combined moe that it kills a viewer's intellect.

Bereft of the seemingly easy political goals our patents could simply mass protest about. The hyperconsumerism of fandoms. The growing dread of a jobs network requiring ever more complicated networking. The rise of the permanent casual. The permanent contractor. Rocko's Modern Life strikes a chord with me because it does really highlight how humans are made in the times that they live and how in the 90s we were simply kind of 'lost'.

Digimon. Back in 1999, I was really into Digimon. When I rewatched the series now, I still thought the series was great."Digimon" are "Digital Monsters".Group of seven kids who, while at summer camp, travel to the Digital World,inhabited by creatures known as Digital Monsters.They are destined to save both the Digital and Real World from evil.

I enjoyed PPG and even Totally Spies (A 2000's cartoon, I know) when I was but a wee lad. Can't tell you whether I was the target audience or not, but I still loved them. I'm gonna go ahead and throw Digimon out there again. Loved that cartoon and loving Tri. I should probably give the original a watch again.

immortalfrieza:
Plenty have mentioned the 90's X-Men cartoon, but how could hardly anyone have mentioned this?:

Seriously, this along with the PS1 Spider-Man games are the whole reason I ever got into Spider-Man in the first place, and those would still keep him my favorite supehero to this day on their strength alone even if the comics and other media weren't generally pretty damned good too.

I'm sorry but Spiderman TAs has not age well, the animation is crap, the 3d effects has age horrible and the voice acting is really hit or miss, sure there are some good things about the show but it has not age well

Tanis:
A good chuck of the comic books cartoons.

Batman/Superman/Spider-Man/Justice League/etc.
All still hold up.

Justice league was made in the 2000s but yeah it does still hold up

saint of m:

PRICELESS! hahaha

starshomejobs:

saint of m:

PRICELESS! hahaha

I've tried watching both recently...
...Those are not cartoons that I would say have held up.
Well, at least Ducktales is still fun to look at (not the best, but not bad). Not-so-much in the writing department.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here