Something is coming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Silvanus:

But that isn't the case. I've never once seen anybody say political ideology is the only valid way to judge a game-- not even a single random commentator, let alone an actual pundit or professional critic.

I've also quite consistently seen criticism from various different perspectives. For every review that focuses on social impact, there are more that focus on gameplay, and usually several which disagree on those gameplay elements. I can't remember any game for which the critical response was completely uniform, and focused only on political characteristics.

The complete hegemony is imaginary.

Then the completely fair shake Kingdom Come: Deliverance got from the gaming press, what with some major sites outright refusing to review it due to creator Daniel Vavra's alleged political views over his refusal to have black people in 15th century rural Bohemia in a game striving for historical accuracy in order to appease the sensibilities of a bunch of American "journalists", must've been a figment of my imagination as well.

Lil devils x:
I didn't like how the past 10 years have been going for gaming but that is not due to "inclusion" politics, it has more to do with investors calling the shots and the economy not being well enough to allow for more quality Indy development.

I see investors having too many hands in the cookie jar as being the problem with stale games and poor content because they milk the tried and true dry and are not willing to take risks. I am not expecting the good stuff to come from them, I expect it to come from individuals having enough free time to create what they want to play rather than making games for the sake of profits. Once we reduce poverty and increase support of the middle and lower class globally to where less people are spending all of their time struggling to survive and have higher education paid for resulting in more coders, and have more free time on their hands to create what they want to play, I hope we will see a renaissance in gaming as there will then be far more quality and selection to choose from.

The staleness we are experiencing is due to greedy investors milking every cent and the economy not being strong enough to allow for widespread independent creation not due to developers attempting to expand target audiences. A good deal of gaming resources are also currently being dumped into VR. That is great for people who want that but for the rest of us, it just makes the gaming landscape more barren for the types of content we are interested in.

That's all very well and good (I actually agree with most of it), but it's not really related to anything I've said about the coverage of gaming by gaming websites, nor an obsessively stubborn focus on their part in naturally divisive topics extraneous to the subject matter, which predictably only bring with them hostility and division.

Avnger:

How, in detail please, has the inclusion of politics led to the current state of "live services," lootboxes, and all-or-nothing generic mega-releases by the big publishers?

I'd love to see some evidence backing that up. Occam's razor and common sense would say that these ever worsening money-grubbing trends are due to the big publishers focusing on making large amounts of short-term money to appease their shareholder masters, but, please, explain how Kotaku criticizing teenage pantie shots or ridiculously unnatural and oversized bouncing boobs in reviews is the real reason.

See above.

The problem isn't that the far left is talking about games like they do; dismissive, chauvinistic, aggressive to the community, etc.
It's that there's neither enough on the polar opposite to off-set it, so it doesn't make the impression like the left was actually controlling the lion share of the culture, nor that there's a non-partisanic middle in a size able to be taken serious enough.

Maybe there is, but there's no doubt for me that the journalism-side of things sways way too much to just one single direction without ever coming back. That side of the culture is one-sided - fullstop. Nowadays, I don't care as much anymore since you can't fault people for being ignorant (it's way too much effort to pull hundreds of heads out of hundreds of asses and from their point of view, it's just black and white and the Jedi are evil) and I became way too mature to give a fuck anymore instead of hoping for those outlets to simply die off, which isn't as unlikely as most might think. So just don't support them in any way. They just want attention - that is literally what pays their bills. So Fuck'em. And it's working.

The websites breaking

Gamergate is whining again

There's no ww

I feel like I went back in time.

undeadsuitor:
The websites breaking

There's no ww

Have you seen the Mass Effect 3 ending? What a load of crap. They took all our decisions that we made in the game and boiled them down to three simple options. I am so furious about this, I'm going to send Bioware cupcakes.

(Is this doing anything to help the feeling of time travel or just making things worse?)

Catfood220:

undeadsuitor:
The websites breaking

There's no ww

Have you seen the Mass Effect 3 ending? What a load of crap. They took all our decisions that we made in the game and boiled them down to three simple options. I am so furious about this, I'm going to send Bioware cupcakes.

(Is this doing anything to help the feeling of time travel or just making things worse?)

The mass effect 3 ending was the worst thing to ever happen to humanity as a whole. It personally drained my bank account, fucked my wife, and killed my parents. It's the worst thing bioware has or ever will do and defiently won't be topped by a later game or a Destiny clone

Catfood220:

undeadsuitor:
The websites breaking

There's no ww

Oooh, are we doing that? Wait, let me have a go. Brace yourselves.

ANITA SARKEESIAN IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY OUR GAMES!!!!!

That about do it? If not, someone quickly bring up Jack Thompson!

Ogoid:
Then the completely fair shake Kingdom Come: Deliverance got from the gaming press, what with some major sites outright refusing to review it due to creator Daniel Vavra's alleged political views over his refusal to have black people in 15th century rural Bohemia in a game striving for historical accuracy in order to appease the sensibilities of a bunch of American "journalists", must've been a figment of my imagination as well.

I felt so vindicated when one of the only two gaming outlets I gift any attention or time responded to that particular controversy by simply bringing in a qualified historian and asking him about it.

Presence of black people "questionable" to put it lightly, presence of turkic people known beyond a doubt (turkics are in the game), in game demographics reasonable and historically founded overall. Case closed, bye bye, controversy over. The fact that many other outlets didn't do that while still keeping the "debate" rolling on speaks volumes.

But of course all gaming sites and journalists are unbaised, completely free of agenda and don't let their questionable political views influence reporting, ever. Anyone who would suggest someone else is clearly an alt-right gamergater racist white male with an anime profile picture - there is no inbetween here.

Chimpzy:

Catfood220:

undeadsuitor:
The websites breaking

There's no ww

Oooh, are we doing that? Wait, let me have a go. Brace yourselves.

ANITA SARKEESIAN IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY OUR GAMES!!!!!

That about do it? If not, someone quickly bring up Jack Thompson!

Okay, so your favorite game and your favorite movie are caught in a whirlpool...

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

But of course all gaming sites and journalists are unbaised, completely free of agenda and don't let their questionable political views influence reporting, ever. Anyone who would suggest someone else is clearly an alt-right gamergater racist white male with an anime profile picture - there is no inbetween here.

Ogoid:
what with some major sites outright refusing to review it

Never heard of that controversy.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/kingdom-come-deliverance/critic-reviews?dist=positive

Care to point which ones are missing? Kotaku? Enough said. Even Polygon wrote a positive article about the game that made me interested on trying it.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/21/17031138/deliverance-kingdom-come-warhorse-impressions

CaitSeith:

I'm letting you have it already, you don't need to ask again.

If you feel like my slight was addressed at you go ahead and whine and cry strawman or whatever - fact is, there are people out there who think that way, as evidenced by every Gamergate discussion on this site ever. They're also the exact people irrational enough to get wound up about the artificial controversy around Kingdom Come.

Obviously nowhere near all people on either side of the discussion fall into that easily roused camp but to me it seems that in this case, you've just chosen to wear the hat that fits you. Pretty!

CaitSeith:
Never heard of that controversy.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/kingdom-come-deliverance/critic-reviews?dist=positive

Care to point which ones are missing? Kotaku? Enough said. Even Polygon wrote a positive article about the game that made me interested on trying it.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/21/17031138/deliverance-kingdom-come-warhorse-impressions

From memory, Giant Bomb and Vice. Probably more. Enough said?

Now, now. Time to settle down. If you want to discuss GamerGate or Anita Sarkeesian go to GID. If you want to discuss Kingdom Come: Deliverance or the Mass Effect 3 ending go to Gaming Discussion. This thread is about wild speculation about what's coming, so let's keep it that way. And as always, be classy towards one another.

edit: I missed Gethsemani's post.

Ninjas are everywhere.

By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes...

I hope it's a tech team!

Catfood220:

undeadsuitor:
The websites breaking

There's no ww

It's making me kinda nostalgic.

I wonder, if the forum doesn't get nuked, we'll get to keep this style of posting.

I rather like how simple it is.
No signatures that take up a 1/3 of the damn screen and no massive number of 'l33t' posts by people thinking fucking COMIC SANS and randomly bolding their words makes their posts

look cooler

Tanis:
I wonder, if the forum doesn't get nuked, we'll get to keep this style of posting.

I rather like how simple it is.
No signatures that take up a 1/3 of the damn screen and no massive number of 'l33t' posts by people thinking fucking COMIC SANS and randomly bolding their words makes their posts

look cooler

Without an experienced tech team (that is, one experienced with this site), I doubt we'll see any changes to the forum beyond it breaking. A new one altogether might happen though.

Catfood220:

undeadsuitor:
The websites breaking

There's no ww

Mass Effect 3's ending still sucks. Mass Effect 2 & 3 still suck (go ask muh man Smudboy and the former contributor Shamus Young). Call of Bioshock: Infinite Borefare is still a terrible, overrated game (go ask muh man Smudboy or Matthew Matosis). UA Bombing the Dove Enigma in Elite Dangerous is still honourable and only carebears/Scam Citizen backers disagree.

Anyway, on topic: I don't think this news will amount to anything, personally. They should leave well enough alone.

Ogoid:

Uhrm... but that's not "complete hegemony", is it? Plenty of places did review it. Plenty of people didn't focus on that.

This isn't a complaint about uniformity at all; you just don't like certain topics, and certain opinions.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

But of course all gaming sites and journalists are unbaised, completely free of agenda and don't let their questionable political views influence reporting, ever.

Absolutely nobody is claiming this! It's an invented position, which serves as the focus of ire. It's not actually been expressed by anybody at all.

ebalosus:

Catfood220:

undeadsuitor:
The websites breaking

There's no ww

Mass Effect 3's ending still sucks. Mass Effect 2 & 3 still suck (go ask muh man Smudboy and the former contributor Shamus Young). Call of Bioshock: Infinite Borefare is still a terrible, overrated game (go ask muh man Smudboy or Matthew Matosis). UA Bombing the Dove Enigma in Elite Dangerous is still honourable and only carebears/Scam Citizen backers disagree.

Anyway, on topic: I don't think this news will amount to anything, personally. They should leave well enough alone.

Dark Souls 2 is still a great damn game, though.

Also, Mass Effect 1 blows hot chunks. It really is a terrible game, just all-around.

BreakfastMan:

Also, Mass Effect 1 blows hot chunks. It really is a terrible game, just all-around.

I replayed it with a graphics mod and it was...alright.

It's more tali so I can't complain

RE: Geth's post, can we take game discussion to another thread or to PMs?

Look's like I missed some fun? Still, is this a hope thread or a doomed thread? DOOOOOMED.

Seeing as this is a dead site with a forum and 'toid is a site with no forum (as far as I can tell), I hope they aren't going to just try to glue the two together. Then again, I thought in business deals people weren't supposed to hint at things that are happening - either stock prices if public trade or because it may attract competitors.

Really I'd just like them to switch back whatever they did that suddenly got this place hit by my work's internet "gaming" filter so I can read it there again.

I'm thinking it would be nice, if this site IS going away, for them to do a mass email send out to let everyone know so we could have one final death charge.

One day of massive posting. One day to live in the now as we once were.

Tanis:
I'm thinking it would be nice, if this site IS going away, for them to do a mass email send out to let everyone know so we could have one final death charge.

One day of massive posting. One day to live in the now as we once were.

That'd be nice but if its going into the a definite end controlled by Defy, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Its not the goodbye itself that hurts, its going to be all the old habits and silly nostalgia that will bring the melancholy.

^^^^^^^Happening enough that Firefox has a new baked in site image^^^^

If you guys have any posts you want to preserve for your own posterity, these would be the days to archive them for your own sentimentality. Just in case.

Well...at least Kotaku might be dying too.

I take solace in that.

I hope whatever is coming, comes sooner rather than later. The place isn't much fun to hang around in its current state. Or if its bad news, that we get some advance notice.

Funny though how I never paid many forum features and conveniences any mind until thet were gone.

Redlin5:
If you guys have any posts you want to preserve for your own posterity, these would be the days to archive them for your own sentimentality. Just in case.

Ominous

Redlin5:
SNIP

So the site is totes for realz no backsies shutting down, never coming back, end of story?

Honestly, the site MAY be dying, sure, but wouldn't it be a little odd if they redesigned the frontpage in a way that gets rid of the recent posts widget thing a few days before shutting the whole thing down?

A redesign (even if it's one I don't much care for) indicates someone's fiddling with the frontpage. I'm not sure the mod team can do that (and it probably wasn't them either way, because I assume they'd mention it and we'd now have a 20 page thread where just about everyone still active on the forum voices strong critique or support of that particular action, not always with requisite civility), so much as appearances can be deceiving, it looks like the current instability is due to actual paid staff (that is not Yahtzee) finding their feet on the tech side of the Escapist which indicates more money being spent on the whole thing - not the sort of thing you usually do before scrapping a business afaik.

Ugicywapih:
Honestly, the site MAY be dying, sure, but wouldn't it be a little odd if they redesigned the frontpage in a way that gets rid of the recent posts widget thing a few days before shutting the whole thing down?

A redesign (even if it's one I don't much care for) indicates someone's fiddling with the frontpage. I'm not sure the mod team can do that (and it probably wasn't them either way, because I assume they'd mention it and we'd now have a 20 page thread where just about everyone still active on the forum voices strong critique or support of that particular action, not always with requisite civility), so much as appearances can be deceiving, it looks like the current instability is due to actual paid staff (that is not Yahtzee) finding their feet on the tech side of the Escapist which indicates more money being spent on the whole thing - not the sort of thing you usually do before scrapping a business afaik.

Probably, but a heads-up about it would have been nice.

A year ago when a server migration happened, people in charge had the decency to give everyone a heads-up about it, now there's zero, zip, zilch, nada ☹️

Whoever's messing around with the site must be pretty incompetent as to not give anyone any warning, either by site news, forum post, or email. Now everyone thinks the site's dying. And who knows. Maybe it is.

Arnoxthe1:
Whoever's messing around with the site must be pretty incompetent as to not give anyone any warning, either by site news, forum post, or email. Now everyone thinks the site's dying. And who knows. Maybe it is.

???

Who? Defy is anabsent parent and the CM & mods dont have access or power to be part of it.

So the old owner wont take responsibility, and if there is a new owner, why would they? They stay quiet and only speak up once its stable again, blaming all teething issues on Defy dragging their feet (who would have to care to deny it).

seems so far what came was my avatar being misplaced (outside of posts it seems) and the site acting up

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here