Should you brag about your IQ?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Apparently i have an IQ of 98 so I have no room to brag...

But I think this thread should answer your question: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.117938

IQ tests can only be compared if taken in the same year and month of life, so you can't really brag if someone wasn't the exact same age when they took theirs, down to the month.

As for my own IQ, I honestly haven't seen the number since the eighth grade or so, so I can't remember what it is, but it was high enough to get me into a number of gifted programs at school and to make the teacher yell at me for sharing when everyone in the program got a copy of their old results one day.

On a side note, I've only ever done average in school because I don't give two hoots. Intelligence means that I'm good at logic puzzles and word games, nothing more.

cyrad:
A truly intelligent person would a certain sense of humility about their intellectual abilities. A truly intelligent individual would also realize that bragging about their IQ would make them look stupid, which contradicts the motive for bragging about IQ in the first place. If you had a low or average IQ, then there would be no reason to brag. Thus, you should not brag about your IQ.

Also, I'm wary of IQ measurements because I personally feel a person's intelligence cannot be accurately measured numerically.

^I was getting ready to post until I read yours.

I could not have put it any better.

crazyhaircut94:
Is it really something to brag about, it's just the way your brain is built up. Also, feel free to tell your results if you know them. *ironically* It's not like I want any bragging, just want to know how high the average Escapist has.

No idea what my IQ is, but bragging in general is the sign that that person is a dick. No different bragging about biceps or IQ - just shows the person is insecure about something if they feel a need to brag.

Seeing as my IQ is 147, I think I deserve to mention it, but there is no bragging going on here. No siree...nothing to see. Just keep on movin'

One might think that bragging about their high IQ around the masses of people with lower IQ's would bring...undesirable results. You might be smarter but dumb people still have the numbers to make up for it.

cyrad:
A truly intelligent person would a certain sense of humility about their intellectual abilities. A truly intelligent individual would also realize that bragging about their IQ would make them look stupid, which contradicts the motive for bragging about IQ in the first place. If you had a low or average IQ, then there would be no reason to brag. Thus, you should not brag about your IQ.

Also, I'm wary of IQ measurements because I personally feel a person's intelligence cannot be accurately measured numerically.

Who says intelligent people have to be humble or polite? I don't think people capable of a high degree of reasoning are neccesarially going to be more modest.

Why can't smart people can't be a little insecure? If you were the stereotypical nerd who got picked on in high school, and it turned out you were really smart, wouldn't you be constantly reminding people of how awesome you were in an attempt to convince yourself?

The IQ test, as stated by the creator, can only be used to determine if someone is mentally retarded. It is not designed to determine how intelligent someone is, and any score over 100 means nothing.

Machines Are Us:
People shouldn't really brag about anything.

There ya go! only morons brag.

I've said it time and again on this forum - IQ tests are absolutely worthless; they are, even when standardized, worthless because they don't measure intelligence at all. They simply measure how good you are at taking IQ tests - if you took 5 or 6 IQ tests a day, and then retook a standanized test again you would do much better than if you took it without the practise.

Why? Because you understand how the questions are asked - and simply for that reason (there are others) IQ tests are for the incredibly foolhardy that need something to give them a self-esteem boost.

IQ is nothing to brag about. The things you accomplish using your intellect are what you should care about.

You can have an IQ of 135 and never do anything significant. You actually have to use your intelligence.

I've done it once in my life.

It wasn't so much bragging as it was me assuring a superior that my life would shape up to give me enough options as to guarantee that I'd never be forced to take a job like his.

I was in military school. He appeared genuinely dejected. It felt great.

In contrast, I more often found myself manipulating the cadets' respect for my intelligence in ways that allowed them to feel better about who they really were. That felt great too.

I once had a young (12-13 year old) cadet follow the movement of my pen across a random magazine page and alert me to when he felt that the pen was hovering over something of significance. When we were done I "analyzed" the page for a few minutes and called him back into my room.

"Do you know what this means?"

"No."

"You're smarter than you give yourself credit for. You pick up on things that others don't. As you grow, you'll build up the confidence to stand up for and intelligently argue your unique viewpoints."

"Cool."

He'd been insecure about his intelligence up to that point. He was much happier and even saw a GPA increase after it.

I find that genuine intellectuals are more prone to psychotic breaks / becoming genuinely self-aware / existential crises. If you catch one in a bad mood and they seem to come off a little snooty they may just be reacting childishly to the isolation that being forced into such an alienating state of mind presents.

Or they might just be insecure.

Neither is a sin, really.

I have seen doctors who have held peoples lives in their hands get confused by a copy machine and wealthy and highly educated people fall for the banker/prince of Nigeria email scam years ago so IQ proves very little in my opinion.

Anyone with an IQ high enough to cause others to raise their eyebrows won't outright brag the number. They'll do something subtle, like win a Noble prize.

But think about it as they would see it; everyone around them is significantly "less" than them. Perspectively, those would seem like clinically retarded folks to us. Why would they brag a number to such people when they can perform acts of intelligence to absolutely boggle their minds?

Mine is apparently very high but the actual result was never given. No, because some people aren't gifted in that department and it's cruel.

ThrobbingEgo:

cyrad:

Who says intelligent people have to be humble or polite? I don't think people capable of a high degree of reasoning are neccesarially going to be more modest.

Who says smart people can't be a little insecure?

If anything, so called intellectuals are more likely to be complete jerks. At least in my experience.

Smart people don't brag about being smart. So no.

Having a high IQ doesn't necessarily mean a better life so it doesn't matter.

Not really.

An IQ score only shows how good you are at taking IQ tests, not your actual intelligence.

There are many different factors to a persons intelligence, most of which cannot be represented accurately by a number.

It makes you look like a twat, if that's your goal, go for it.

Most people lie about their IQ anyway

TriggerUnhappy:
No, because only the truly smart people realize how little they truly know and ever will know, despite all that they might learn. Thus, bragging would merely do nothing but show how stupid and arrogant you are in the first place. Besides, IQ has nothing to do with real intelligence, only dealing with how good you are at memorizing formulas, equations, facts, etc. much like how they grade you in school, while leaving out very basic yet important things such as common sense. Intelligence is more than those facts you learn in a textbook or how good you are at recognizing patterns.

An IQ test is NOT about memorizing formulae, the test is designed to be independant of learned phenomena so it tests pattern matching skills and the ability to think outside the box.

I would think the average IQ for the posters on this fine forum to be higher than 100 (base average) simply due to the fact that we are computer literate and (mostly apart from trolls) able to articulate ourselves somewhat eloquently. [sic]

I realise that different IQ tests can be subjective but what of MENSA ones, I'm at 146, that's not bragging, it's a statement of 'fact'. I do notice I find it easier to talk to people who are in the same sort of bracket as me - 120 plus - just because they are more likely to understand what I'm talking about and the tangents I go off on.

Come shoot me down but I'm trying to balance the litany of hate!

No. It's an arbitrary number not worth shit to anyone.

Nope, I prefer bragging about not caring about IQ...

No, because there is always someone smarter then you.

Pr0 InSaNiTy:
Most people lie about their IQ anyway

73.2% of all quoted statistics are made up.

Smart people shouldn't brag *period*.
Y'know, for obvious reasons.

Actions speak louder than words.

If you IQ is actually that high, you should be smart enough to know not to brag about it.

I find that people brag more about unofficial IQ tests. For example: "Hey, man! I just scored 160 on a Facebook IQ test!"

An IQ of 140 on one person's test could be a 200 for someone else. His IQ might also be only a 120 on a different IQ test.

I have about 135... But I am no genius...

MontyGommo:
If you IQ is actually that high, you should be smart enough to know not to brag about it.

I'm not sure why everybody seems so frightened by the prospect of some measure of intelligence, I mean, sportsmen brag about the speed at which they can run the 100m but that doesn't put other sportsmen off, it inspires them to do better - to beat the other person in sporting competition. I believe that IQ is not arbitrary (nature) but can be developed by training your brain (nurture), you know; reading books, playing games, studying etc.

I would do spectacularly badly at the 100m run at my current state of fitness but given a few weeks training I'm sure I would make a noticeable improvement. There can be such a thing as bragging whilst maintaining modesty, I mean I haven't put anyone down, I have nurtured my brain for 25 years much like an athelete will have nurtured his body. No-one can run a 4-minute mile without some kind of training.

Constructive comments pleeease. :-)

I don't think you should boast about IQ, just like you shouldn't boast about other physical attributes, but that doesn't mean I mind when people do

My IQ is 138, and that's from a real test, given to me by an educational psychologist

Assassinator:
Someone who really really really sucks with numbers (like moi) will fuck up an IQ test wich would result in a lower score.

Not true. The IQ test is based on patterns, deductions (ie odd one out), memory and understanding (definitions or emotions). Granted, there is a small bit of maths, but it hardly counts for anything (I did kinda badly in that bit, and I still got way above the 'average' of 100)

ThreeWords:
Not true. The IQ test is based on patterns, deductions (ie odd one out), memory and understanding (definitions or emotions). Granted, there is a small bit of maths, but it hardly counts for anything (I did kinda badly in that bit, and I still got way above the 'average' of 100)

QFT.

Professional IQ tests measure multiple intelligences. You can completely fail in one area (like myself) and still come out with an impressive score.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked