Stereotypes of where you come from

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I'm from Philadelphia, so I must be a barely literate meathead who mumbles "Yo!" alot and goes into a murderous frenzy whenever he sees an out-of-town sports jersey. For being the birthplace of American democracy, Philly ain't too enlightened anymore. But it's still better than Jersey.

A mayor once bet an Eagles fan 50 bucks he couldn't nail the referee with a snowball. The guy connected, and Ed Rendell paid up. But that's nothing compared to the mayor who evicted some black separatists with napalm. His re-election slogan was KILL IT WITH FIRE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Move_bombing

Slavik_91:

Truehare:
I'm from Brazil, but I don't really like samba (not what's being sold as samba nowadays, anyway) or soccer. And today is the first day after Carnaval, and it will be the first day in a week I'll go out, because I just can't stand Carnaval...

^this mostly

Though people don't ask if I have a lion for a pet since I live on one of those big cities (Porto Alegre btw, means happy docks or something) that no1 outside of the country knows for not having enough naked ladies or an army of drug dealers like São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro

Yeah, but I bet people from other states are really surprised to learn that you don't eat barbeque for every meal of the day... And if you tell me you don't even like barbeque, I'll be shocked too. :)

You konw, it really is weird talking to a fellow Brazilian in English...

"from Ohio" speaks for itself. Hollywood term meaning hopelessly out of touch.

EDIT: And no, it's not true: I happen to be blissfully out of touch.

New York Jew: Perverted, quirky, liberal, wears glasses, and nerdy. I fit all but glasses.

blindthrall:
But that's nothing compared to the mayor who evicted some black separatists with napalm. His re-election slogan was KILL IT WITH FIRE.

So the wikipedia article says that happened COMPLETELY different, and you clearly made up the part about "kill it with fire". Still, that's some fucked up shit that happened where you're from.

Im an American! I love guns and women! I drive fast cars and end every sentence with the phrase "IN AMERICA!"

Every one in MA love taxes and works alot.
There was a women my mom knew who wanted to bury her son in California because we just bury the dead and move on.

Dayton Ohio. Apparentley we all can fly here :)

300lb. Samoan:

blindthrall:
But that's nothing compared to the mayor who evicted some black separatists with napalm. His re-election slogan was KILL IT WITH FIRE.

So the wikipedia article says that happened COMPLETELY different, and you clearly made up the part about "kill it with fire". Still, that's some fucked up shit that happened where you're from.

I'm not defending MOVE, they're a bunch of assholes. And I disagree with Wiki's role of the mayor in all that. A piece in the Philly Inquirer before the official investigation quoted Sambor saying he specifically cleared it with the mayor's office before the helicopter dropped the bomb. I think the mayor spearheaded that inquiry specifically so he could be in charge of it, and prevent his role from surfacing. The really fucked thing about all that is that there were firetrucks right there, and they didn't bother to put out the fire even once it spread beyond the MOVE house. I really just brought it up to show how bad this city can get. One interesting parallel, though: I think the Branch Davidians and MOVE are about on the same level, and pretty much the same thing happened to each of them, but there is TONS more bitching about Waco. What's the difference? Federal vs. City Government? Or black anarchists vs. white religious kooks?

Since I'm Mexican, the thing that bothers me the most is "So you speak spanish" when I say no I get laughed at.

Since I'm New Mexican, most people assume that I am not a citizen of the United States, and that I live on a ranch with a dog, several chickens, a horse, and, of course, a donkey. They also seem to expect me to constantly use annoying similes and metaphors. Example: "I'm happier then a junebug during manure-harvesting day!" or, you know, shit like that.

Canada we ride polar bears,live in igloos,snowboard to school and know everyone in the country.

i was born in italy you basically see were this is going *cough*fuckjerseyshore*cough*

niggas that is my towns stereotype.

Hawkeye16:
Im an American! I love guns and women! I drive fast cars and end every sentence with the phrase "IN AMERICA!"

I find that funny,in america.

I live in California, so the big stereotypes about people from here are as follows:
we're all gay
we're all stoners
we all surf
and we all personally know at least 1 movie star.

Eh? I didn't catch that. I was too busy drinking Maple Syrup after a long day of lumber jacking with my pet beaver in 8 feet of snow.

Later on, I'm taking my sled dogs out to my brother's igloo and we're gonna watch us some hockey while drinking a few Molson.

(Okay, I do like hockey and Molson, some stereotypes are true)

American: Stupid, fat...etc.

Polish: Stupid

Not a good combination...although....

(most of that coming from school mates of mine so thats why I'm comparing the two)

I've moved a lot so I have a lot of these.

Texas from birth to about 9ish - Apparently I wasn't doing my accent right. Not enough draaawwwlll y'all!

Wisconsin from 9 to 12ish - Yes. cheese head. But now that I think of it, cheese is pretty tasty, and I couldn't drink milk for years after moving from there because Illinois milk tasted old, so maybe there is something to that one.

Illinois from 12-24 - From what I could tell, Chicago is the only city in Illinois. Whenever I would tell people where I was from, the answer I would undoubtedly get was, "Oooh! I love Chicago, how did you like living there?" Yes, even after I told them the city I grew up in.

Went to UofI for my post grad work, which obviously means I love college basketball, right? Right?

Michigan - lived outside of Detroit, so either I was living on the edge, barely surviving the economy and the crime or I saw Eminem on a regular basis. Actually, the second one makes a little more sense since I was renting a guest house down the street from the Kresge mansion he bought, but I never actually drove by the place since it was like, a mile off the road! I never had any trouble with crime, but I did find out my landlord carried a revolver with him whenever he went into the city, kind of freaky.

Veritas0323:

ejb626:
According to Southern Virginians all Northern Virginians are basically Europe's stereotype of all Americans, fat obnoxious stupid yuppies.

better than what everybody thinks about west virginians

also i thought south virginia had more of a yuppie sterotype (at least here in maryland it does)

Well, I am basing this mostly off of UrbanDictionary definitions but seriously check out the definitions of "Northern Virginia" and "Southern Virgina" all of the defintions of SoVa take some form of cheap-shot at NoVa ussually something about us not having "Southern hospitality" and all of the NoVa definitions are written by SoVans who just bash the crap out of this area.

Manchester in England. I'm a chav who stabs everything and everyone. =/

Hmm... well... Southern Californians for some bloody reason...
tend to get confused with the characters from "The O.C.".

I am from Massachusetts which means I like to throw tea into harbors.

I live in Houston, Texas.
No, I don't wear cowboys hats/boots.
No, I don't ride a horse.
No, I don't live on a farm.
No, I'm not Republican.
No, I don't like football.
I do, however, say y'all.

Only thing I can think of for Maryland is crabs, and the shampoo cleared that up quite nicely for me.
The previous is a distraction/joke for the fact that I go crabbing quite a bit, I'm clean.ladies.

urgh76:
Pennsylvania

the stereotype that we are just all coal miners with black smoke for air EVERYWHERE

They're watching us

Hah!

In the middle of PA, that stereotype is true, Mahoning City is exactly that.

New Mexico, which has the following stereotypes associated with it.

1) Part of Mexico. (False, NM is part of the U.S.A.)

2) All of us are Mexicans.

3) We all like green chile. (This one is MOSTLY true).

Aby_Z:

EClaris:
America

Fat and obnoxious and stupid.

And somehow we're also lumped in with being uber patriotic.

Yay America...
Specifically Indiana here, so... GO CORN!

HELL YEAH!

blindthrall:
What's the difference? Federal vs. City Government? Or black anarchists vs. white religious kooks?

Well, I think the biggest difference of all is Anti-Flag and Left-Over Crack didn't write songs about Waco, therefore not fostering public understanding of the event. Hurrrr!

(Don't hold me to that, it's more than likely Anti-Flag did write numerous songs about Waco and Left-Over Crack has followed their lead accordingly.)

Minnesota. Supposedly, we all speak like we're from the movie Fargo and it's snowy and cold all year, according to what many from other parts of the country seem to think.

Those people apparently haven't been here in August (can someone say 90-100 degrees fahrenheit with terribly high humidity?), nor have they listened to a real Minnesotan speak.

Stereotype I got from being a Michigander one time was all Michigan people sound arrogant, or something. Not sure where they got that from.

ejb626:

Veritas0323:

ejb626:
According to Southern Virginians all Northern Virginians are basically Europe's stereotype of all Americans, fat obnoxious stupid yuppies.

also i thought south virginia had more of a yuppie sterotype (at least here in maryland it does)

Well, I am basing this mostly off of UrbanDictionary definitions but seriously check out the definitions of "Northern Virginia" and "Southern Virgina" all of the defintions of SoVa take some form of cheap-shot at NoVa ussually something about us not having "Southern hospitality" and all of the NoVa definitions are written by SoVans who just bash the crap out of this area.

I think it comes from the fact that y'all are too close to DC for your own good.

I'm from New york.. I'm either Italian, or Irish, and live in a city...

Wait... those first two sound familiar...

EDIT: Oh yea, the environment. It can fix it self. I will drive my H1 hummer where ever I god damn please, even though it gets 17 gallons to the mile!

We Canadians apparently all live in igloos and hunt beavers. Funny, because we usually don't get snow where I live, EVER. Silly stereotypes like this are fun though, as I can play the guy who mentions them.

For example, if someone (usually an American) asks me how it is living in a igloo, I just reply that it is a bitch to stop it from melting in the winter.

Southland of New Zealand. The american expression of "the south" applies here. Inbred, banjo-playing, sheep-fucking hics with a farmer's accent.... just because I say "car" instead of "cah".

More broader, sheep-fucking kiwi.

Blitzkrieg8:
I am from Massachusetts which means I like to throw tea into harbors.

lol'd

ejb626:

Veritas0323:

ejb626:

thats weird, i go to virginia fairly often i live in rockville/potomac which is right by the border

everywhere i've been in NoVa has been nicer than SoVa (newport is a dump)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked