The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

The stupidest thing I have ever heard comes from the mouths of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church. Everything they say is complete and utter nonsense.

Skylane14:

Jedamethis:

Skylane14:
The Theory of Evolution.

Yeah, go ahead, laugh. I'm entitled to my opinion, and you can pry it from my cold, dead hands :P

If you don't mind my asking, why is it the stupidest thing you've ever heard?

Well, because it is often trumpeted as the end all, be all solution for where life came from, when it is actually laughably flimsy. I'm a very "prove it" sort of guy, and so far I haven't seen any proof that evolution is even possible. Natural selection, yes. Evolution? No.

I guess I should reform my statement a bit: The theory, as presented by Charles Darwin, while somewhat ridiculous, has merit, as a theory and a theory alone. The way it is presented, at least around here, as the Holy Grail of Science makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. That slavish devotion to a theory that hasn't even been proven as of yet tops every stupid thing I've ever heard from a religious fanatic, if only because religion, in and of itself, attracts fanaticism and fervor. It is built on the principle of believing the unbelievable. Science is supposed to be above that, but that sadly ceased being the case some time ago.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Just so you know - I'm not trying to make this argument religious and I'm happy to drop the topic, it's just that evolution/atheism and creationism/ID/religion are so closely linked in Western culture. I certainly don't mean to attack your assumed spiritual beliefs; I do so only when they interfere with what I believe is logical scientific and social thought.

There IS evidence for said animal. But let's say we have a fossil record available for an animal at 20million years, 10million years and 1million years old. We would classify the three different distinct fauna as separate species based on their taxonomy. We can easily track the changes in the genetic structure across this time period and there is overwhelming evidence to suggest mr20mill evolved into mr1mill via the middle stage of mr10mill. However, if we had access to every single fossil for that 20million year period then we would not be able to pick out any individual as distinctly different from any other near its generation - they would super-gradually blend into the next.

I'm not sure how you can believe in natural selection and not apply that to evolution? Please would you kindly elaborate?

There is no objective proof for anything. We have evidence that the Earth is not flat (satellite pictures, curvature of the Earth, global navigation) though none of it is 100% proof. Some irrefutable evidence could somehow show up at a later date to prove this theory wrong.

Similarly with evolution, there is overwhelming evidence to suggest its validity. Even the most primitive analysis of DNA & genetics can tell us a great deal about how different genes are inherited and carried throughout organisms throughout extended periods of time. A good and unarguable example is Catalyst8's peppered moth as described above, among countless others. Mutations irrefutably happen and can also be observed to remain within the species, especially if it is a beneficial one. I'm not going to list all of the evidence for evolution, it would take a long time and may also require an advanced understanding of genetics for some parts (I have a degree in psychobiology so I don't mean to patronise or baffle - I'm never sure how much to assume of others).

How do you propose people of other ethnicities came to be? Were they all put there simultaneously and different (same species I know)? How do you propose genes are able to be inherited and mutated across different species? How did modern humans come into existence? What day was that on? Are you suggesting that Cro-Magnons and Neanderthals slowly developed in physique and intelligence over hundreds of thousands of years only to one day all die just before they were of 'human-quality' and be replaced by modern homo-sapiens? Evolution easily and scientifically explains and rationalises this - what conceivable other process occurred?

Whenever I end up listening to some uneducated cretin trying to discuss politics in public.
I'm sorry, but I'm a politics student, and I've been interested by this stuff since I was 10
The run up to the latest UK election was absolute hell, but pure comic gold too.
I really tried not to laugh at this (and ended up getting off the bus for a moment)

"Who you gunna vote fer in the election then?"
"ooh, yano, sdp...cos I like their policies on immigration, cos there's too many people here"
the SDP do not exist. the SNP do - but they're scottish nationals, with no immigration polices...I assume she meant BNP...
"how about you?"
"I know...Ned Clogg!. Yano, the fit guy from the Labour-Demicoots..."

*facepalm*

Skylane14:

Jedamethis:

Skylane14:
The Theory of Evolution.

Yeah, go ahead, laugh. I'm entitled to my opinion, and you can pry it from my cold, dead hands :P

Well, because it is often trumpeted as the end all, be all solution for where life came from, when it is actually laughably flimsy. I'm a very "prove it" sort of guy, and so far I haven't seen any proof that evolution is even possible. Natural selection, yes. Evolution? No.

I guess I should reform my statement a bit: The theory, as presented by Charles Darwin, while somewhat ridiculous, has merit, as a theory and a theory alone. The way it is presented, at least around here, as the Holy Grail of Science makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. That slavish devotion to a theory that hasn't even been proven as of yet tops every stupid thing I've ever heard from a religious fanatic, if only because religion, in and of itself, attracts fanaticism and fervor. It is built on the principle of believing the unbelievable. Science is supposed to be above that, but that sadly ceased being the case some time ago.

EVOLUTION SAYS NOTHING ABOUT WHERE LIFE CAME FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do people not know that? Seriously... It says nothing about it. Also, the "theory" part is based of the scientific definition, which states that a scientific theory is how something happens, in short, it's fact... Evolution is more proven than GRAVITY. We have more understanding of evolution than gravity (known as "The Theory of Gravity" mind you). I don't think anyone can deny evolution happening, it happens all the time with bacteria and houseflies. The main thing is, people just don't know what evolution is.

My 10th grade english class's discussion on analogies. Half the class was focused on the "anal" part of analogy, and the other half was mentally asleep.

I blew a fuse when I close female friend failed at making a deep analogy. Something about apples and apple juice, then apples and orange juice. I actually blacked out from the rage I felt towards the surrounding stupidity.

I'll shut up now. The topic has gone of track by miiiiiilllllesss.

Stupidest things I've ever heard are conspiracy theories. Man definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY landed on the moon. 9/11 wasn't an inside job. The Illuminti don't do shit. Especially kill Heath Ledger and make The Imaginarum of Dr Parnassus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uRgedp1v5U

typical - the first comment. WTF!!!!
"the tragedy in Moscow metro ,another ritual sacrifice by the illuminati ,high rank freemasons in russian's goverment. l will be not surprise if the next target is Canada especially Montreal because the infrastructure are old and creepy(bridges;highways)remenber that"

Also, here's a classic I heard

"wouldn't it be way easier if the alphabet was in some kind of order?"

twistedmic:
I don't remember how we got started talking about this, but one of my old co-workers once claimed that AIDS was not a disease, it was a symptom of a disease.
Another former co-worker claimed that he was a part of the Crips, Bloods and Jugalos (the three biggest gangs in America. THis same co-worker also claimed that he and a friend hacked into the worlds Nuclear Launch codes (U.S.A.,Russia, etc.) and created a program that, if they did not input a code every so often, would launch every single nuclear missile into the sun and cause it to either explode or go supernova (either way it would have destroyed Earth).

Yet another former co-worker thought that him (at age 17) reading all of the Goosebumps books in a year was an accomplishment. Finally, the stupidest thing I may have heard was when Goosebumps guy claimed that Jar-Jar Binks was a better character than Chewbacca.

AIDS is not a disease, HIV is, AIDS is a side effect

Link Yeah:
-snip-

Well, sir, it is quite simple, really. I shall use the three-point system of judgement, as outlined by Aristotle in Nichomechean Ethics: Natural selection is the balance, fervent creationism that states everything was created and nothing has changed is the absence, and evolution is the over-abundance. Natural selection states, for instance, that moths can change their colors, that finches can change their beaks, etc etc. Evolution takes that a step further: Over millions and millions of years, a finch in a certain region, with certain conditions, can change it's beak, bone structure, diet, wing-span, talons, eyesight, and so on to become an eagle, if proper conditions are met. Evolution is, in essence, the over-appliance of natural selection. Is it feasibly possible because of natural selection? Yes, of course. However, the question is this: Would the intermediate beings, feasibly, be able to survive? If, to use the example of apes turning into humans, apes evolved lack of musclemass, or hairlessness first. Their conditions would suddenly be changed to the point of where the new species was less apt for survival except in extreme circumstances. In most situations, significant intelligence would have to be adapted before any other changes can occur, but this begs the question: Why are there people in regions where apes readily survive? If both man and ape can survive in an environment, then what impetus is there for evolution, if it is theoretically possible, to occur?

As to the different ethnicities, it is the same as above: Different traits where subtly adapted within homo sapien to suit their given region. HOWEVER, this is natural selection, not evolution. As stated before, evolution is the over-appliance of natural selection.

SFR:

Skylane14:

Jedamethis:

Skylane14:
The Theory of Evolution.

EVOLUTION SAYS NOTHING ABOUT WHERE LIFE CAME FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do people not know that? Seriously... It says nothing about it. Also, the "theory" part is based of the scientific definition, which states that a scientific theory is how something happens, in short, it's fact... Evolution is more proven than GRAVITY. We have more understanding of evolution than gravity (known as "The Theory of Gravity" mind you). I don't think anyone can deny evolution happening, it happens all the time with bacteria and houseflies. The main thing is, people just don't know what evolution is.

Your argument has already been addressed, good sir. Also, please stop abusing Billy Mays mode. Caps lock was not meant for entire sentences.

haha.. nice storys but this one is a topper.

i dont remember how but one day me and a friend start talking about relegion, and for some reasone we start talking about jesus, and were he lived. after a while she suddenly says:
ooooooh.... i thought Jesus were Danish (me and my friend are both Danish) I stare at her and say┤s WHAT?!!! were do you get that idea from??? then she replys: because its written in danish, in the relegion books!(shes thingking that because the language is Danish, then jesus must be Danish)

that made my MONTH! :)

I have to go with the whole "Obama = Hitler" comparison seen at those tea parties in the wake of the health care debate.

milkoy:
You can divide by zero; the result is infinity.

Um, no you can't and it isn't. Oldest proof in the book for that: otherwise 1 would be equal to 2.

twistedmic:
one of my old co-workers once claimed that AIDS was not a disease, it was a symptom of a disease

Well that's not so far from the truth, I guess it depends on your definition of a disease: AIDS is, in fact, a syndrome caused by HIV; what he meant to say was probably that you can't get infected with AIDS, only with HIV.

One time, two of my friends were arguing about evolution, and one asked the other, "If people evolved from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?"

Scientology

One time we were talking about having a solar power fridge in the middle of the field so we could get food and drinks. Then I tried to sound smart and said,"You'll need a lot of extension cords or batteries to make it work."

stupidest thing iv'e ever heard is someone saying that global warming causes earthquakes by heating up the earths mantle and causing the tectonic plates to move.

i think i'd be hard pressed to find something more idiotic than that.

MCDeltaT:
My Sister (14): "When I get a pet I'm going to get a dragon"

Me: "Dragon's are fictional"

My Sister: "Yeah, that doesn't mean they aren't real"

That's like when someone was talking to my mom about how satanical Pokemon is and she just looked at them and said 'Dude... they aren't real...' to which he asked 'How do YOU know they're not real?!'

Or in one of my classes...

Teacher: Why is it ok for two girls to be together but not two guys?!
Dude: Because two guys thats just, like... GAY.
Me: *facepalm*

One of my friends girlfriends before we were about to watch Oldboy.. 'Does that mean they speak Asian in it?'

Me: '..Yes, fine, we'll go with that'.

EDIT: Oldboy is a Korean film for all those who don't know :)

AIDS is not a disease, HIV is, AIDS is a side effect

That kind of reminds me of when this one girl I know thought that you shouldn't take it in the arse because, apparently, AIDS is now the equivilent of cancer... I was so confused for a second... then wondered 'wait... WAT?'

Three stupidest and funniest things people have ever said to me, both over MSN:

1) "How do you spell amaizing?"

2) "I want a Turian, even if he is peeing in my bathroom."

3) "is born not, you want the glašage with this jam or maybe just of the butter with of the this ham, there are a good number of cakes and of feasts of wonderful one to consume voraciously here in the magic."

Also, a girl tried to convince me that she'd once been bitten by a venomous snake she found in her back garden.... I live in Scotland. Seriously.

Nintendo Wii

boosh

catalyst8:
"it is often trumpeted as the end all, be all solution for where life came from" The Theory of Evolution doesn't address where life came from, it addresses the diversity of existing life. To misunderstand that is to demonstrate an utter ignorance of both the theory & of basic biology itself. 'Abiogenesis' is the name given to the hypothesis presented by Dr. Szostak (Professor of Genetics at Harvard Medical School & Distinguished Investigator in the Department of Molecular Biology at the Massachusetts General Hospital), who has successfully demonstrated a process where self-catalysing enzymes create replicating hydrocarbon polymer vesicles undergoing mutation.Oh, this should be fun. First off, you've tried to throw this man's logic out the window because he doesn't know about abiogenesis. How mature of you. Second, Dr. Szostak made replicating vesicles, as you put them, but at what point does it become definably life?

"[...] has merit, as a theory and a theory alone." this demonstrates what can only be considered a tragic ignorance of the simplest scientific terminology. In a scientific context a 'theory' is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations, and is predictive, logical, and testable. In common use the word 'theory' actually refers to a hypothesis, a supposition made on the basis of limited evidence. Other theories are the Theory of Gravity, of Electro Magnetism, Copernican Theory (sun at the centre of the solar system), Atomic Theory, Germ Theory, Genetic Theory, Kinetic Theory, etc.See, you went wrong when you named a bunch of easy-to-demonstrate theories as silly, yet lauded a non-proven (I'll get to that in a moment) one as undeniable. For example, if I were to punch you and you were forced back, that's kinetic energy in action. If I threw you across the room and you hit the ground, the theory of gravity. If I spit on you and you got a disease, germ theory. If I threw you into space and you orbited around the sun, bam! Copernicus was right. Yet if I sat here for millenia, punching you, your children, your children's children, etc. I would not see any increased resistance to the pain I inflict.

Evolution is documented in existing species from Italian wall lizards in Pod Mrcaru over the last few decades, the mosquito during the Blitz, to the peppered moth in England during the Industrial Revolution, & to numerous bacterial strains (e.g. Sphingomonas) around the world. Then there are transitional fossils like Proterogyrinus, as well as a wealth of genetic corroboration such as human Ch2 corresponding (even down to the join/splice) to Chs12 & 13 in chimps.Never even heard of Italian wall lizards, and I've debated this with more well-informed men than you. As for the peppered moth, that did not show evolution in any way. The population ratios shifted because birds saw one color easier at given times. At no point did a new species of moth occur. I don't have problems with the similarity part, but choose your words wisely. I could use that same strain of logic to say that since all life is based on carbon, we all came from TREES.
There is no peer-reviewed paper which contradicts Evolution.Ever wonder why that is? I'll give a hint: the scientific community stifles anyone that disagrees with evolution (which you capitalize as if it's your bloody god) and refuses to let any real debate occur.

The above-quoted text demonstrating ignorance of utterly basic science is my candidate for stupidest thing I've read or heard this week, possibly this month.

savageoblivi0n:
you sir...win...please take a bow :D

And you. Stop encouraging this sad fuck. If he's going to be misinformed, he should at least have his not-facts straight.

Drakmeire:
when I got in a 7 minute argument with a girl who claimed Europe was a country and that Britain Spain Germany and every other area in Europe are states. way to go public school system.

Well at least she seems able to fucking LOCATE Europe. I talked to a girl once who wasn't even able to accomplish that modest feat and had to ask me for assistance.

"KJASDHSDFKHJNBJWQLR4TRWETQE4TGF5GHWE65R" If quoted indirectly.

I've also heard of SOMEONE who believed Digimon was a total ripoff of Digimon -.-

For the moment I'll have to go with all kinds of scientific ignorance.
I'm not referring to Skylane's anti-evolutionism btw. What I mean is people saying things completely missing logic or experiences.

el_emmens:
It was when I was in an argument with some girl about whether hot water froze faster than cold water

Just out of curiosity... what was your point?

Skylane14:

1. Lack of proof: While natural selection(changes within a species) is a documented and rightly respected theory, grand evolution(such as Darwin's example of a finch turning into an eagle)has no support in actual proof as of yet. It is riddled with "what ifs" and inconsistencies, and I believe that leaves it heavily up for debate.

2. Lack of debate: Evolution could be a much stronger theory, if it were actually discussed on a real level. "Iron sharpens iron". However, whenever detractors come forth, they are simply called ridiculous louts, and have their credibility stripped.

1. But that's the beauty of science. You don't have to actually prove theories, only disprove. As long as there is no opposing evidence or simpler theory the current one stays.

2. Ever considered that these other detractors may simply be louts and that their theories just don't withstand scientific invenstigations? Just a question, I know there are some idiotic ideas out there...

This girl in my Speech class asked me what I did my speech on. I said, "World War 2." She replied with this gem. "World War 2? Was that when France invaded America?" She was serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

Not just stupid but some of the funniest ignorance I've ever seen

Health and Safety once closed a swimming pool because it was wet.

Thats by far the stupidest thing i've heard.

[quote="twistedmic" post="18.195864.6290575"]I don't remember how we got started talking about this, but one of my old co-workers once claimed that AIDS was not a disease, it was a symptom of a disease.

Lol it is a symptom. the disease is HIV(human immunodeficiency virus) look it up.

my astronomy proff told our class that he got into an argument with one of his colleagues cause he said that the northern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere spin at opposite directions. and my prof tried to explain that that wasn't true or crossing the equator would be impossible seeing as the other hemisphere would be rotating at around mach 3 in the opposite direction

CJ1145:

catalyst8:
*snip*

And you. Stop encouraging this sad fuck. If he's going to be misinformed, he should at least have his not-facts straight.

hmm seems i might have to go with this for my example...yes father...so sorry i have a sense of humor and try to break up tension with it...*rolls eyes*

We were on the subject of reproduction and a girl asked "So if semen is half a person, if you swallow, does that make you a cannibal???"

Later on in the class the teacher said that semen is made up of a sugar, and the girl asked "How is it a sugar if it tastes so salty?"

That was a good day for everyone who wasn't her.

anthony87:

interspark:

anthony87:
I made a comment on these forums about how MMO's just go on and on, to which this was said;

"Like real-life? That's basically what an MMO is."

I had myself a little chuckle at that.

well... thats right, MMOs are SUPPOSED to go on and on

I know that, the part that caught my attention was where the guy equates an MMO to real-life.

Well, both have far too many players, and a good selection of griefers/general tools. Also a never-ending list of objectives, both have some kind of subscription model (taxes) after a trial period (childhood), and micro-transactions (buying crap). The graphics in real life are better (for now), but the HUD is awful... I can see where they're coming from!

EDIT, to make a post that's at least vaguely on topic:
Stupidest thing I've ever heard? All these cyclical, never-ending arguments that float around the internet, and fill entire threads on many forums with wrath and fire and... more wrath. The endless evolution debate, climate change, the 'hardcore' vs. 'casual' gaming thing, Halo, COD, and Valve love/hate threads, hell, even cut vs. uncut is starting to piss me off, and you rarely if ever see that argument going on.
I do have opinions on all of these (except cut vs. uncut), but, in the words of Yahtzee:
"Trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher"
[/rant]

So I'm deliberately staying away from those arguments, otherwise I end up wasting time producing lengthy, meticulously researched, well-thought out posts that no-one will read in their entirety. Like the above, only that doesn't have the meticulous research.

Quaxar:
For the moment I'll have to go with all kinds of scientific ignorance.
I'm not referring to Skylane's anti-evolutionism btw. What I mean is people saying things completely missing logic or experiences.

el_emmens:
It was when I was in an argument with some girl about whether hot water froze faster than cold water

Just out of curiosity... what was your point?

Skylane14:

1. Lack of proof: While natural selection(changes within a species) is a documented and rightly respected theory, grand evolution(such as Darwin's example of a finch turning into an eagle)has no support in actual proof as of yet. It is riddled with "what ifs" and inconsistencies, and I believe that leaves it heavily up for debate.

2. Lack of debate: Evolution could be a much stronger theory, if it were actually discussed on a real level. "Iron sharpens iron". However, whenever detractors come forth, they are simply called ridiculous louts, and have their credibility stripped.

1. But that's the beauty of science. You don't have to actually prove theories, only disprove. As long as there is no opposing evidence or simpler theory the current one stays.

2. Ever considered that these other detractors may simply be louts and that their theories just don't withstand scientific invenstigations? Just a question, I know there are some idiotic ideas out there...

1. I completely agree! However, at least around here, evolution is regarded as something untouchable, the best and only explanation. I feel that without proof, this simply cannot be the case.

2. Oh, I completely understand that some of them are just louts. However, the consensus to decry everyone who disagrees as a moron simply for saying "hey guys, something doesn't add up here" sickens me. "And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Science must tread cautiously, or the abuse it suffered at the hands of religion will be dealt out by itself, making scientists no better than the Inquisition they so despised.

savageoblivi0n:
hmm seems i might have to go with this for my example...yes father...so sorry i have a sense of humor and try to break up tension with it...*rolls eyes*

I don't take kindly to stupidity. I never said you were stupid. You were merely breeding stupidity within others by claiming their opinions were good. And if that was honestly a bit of a humor attempt on your part, then you have a long way to go Padawan.

twistedmic:
I don't remember how we got started talking about this, but one of my old co-workers once claimed that AIDS was not a disease, it was a symptom of a disease.
Another former co-worker claimed that he was a part of the Crips, Bloods and Jugalos (the three biggest gangs in America.

Well AIDS isn't a disease. It's a side effect of HIV. It's what happens once HIV basically nukes your immune system, in layman's terms.

Also, aren't Juggalos just Insane Clown Posse fans? I would hardly call them a gang...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked