The scary thread

Pages PREV 1 . . . 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 . . . 48 NEXT

I chuckled a little when I saw this pop back up. It will never die.

I know that this isn't freaky to anyone who wasn't there, but a part of my old job involved manning a firetower about fifteen ks from anyone else. There is one road in, that you can observe at all times and the sides of the mountain that it sits on are too steep to climb easily. And, a guy died up there, heart attack, a couple of years ago, actually not all that uncommon for isolated jobs. (that last part is unrelated but gave me the jeebies)

But what really did my nuts in was the day the rains came. First off, when I climbed down to the tower's lower level at about mid day, I found the door open, most likely because the guy before me had forgotten to lock it, so the rain had gotten in and the floor was soaked. I tripped and twisted my ankle.

Then, at about 1300, radio reception went down, followed by power at about 1330. The storm hit at about 1400, bringing visibility down to a few meters and soon making the road out impassable. To take stock at this point, I was trapped fifteen ks from the nearest help, with a twisted ankle, no comms, no power and I couldn't see what was happening outside. I grabbed my torch and book and tried to while away the day.

The footsteps started at about 1600, not the sort of soft scrape of a roo at rest or the individual scrabble of a leap, but a very distinct one, two, one, two on the gravel around my tower. It was probably not all that loud, but I heard it over the rain. The birds were quiet by then. The nesting pair of wedge tails had hunkered down, much like I had and either the cockies were being uncharacteristically silent or they had buggered off, I couldn't see.

This state of affairs carried on for about fifteen minutes, rain and a steady one two. Then something banged against the lower door. I had locked it to prevent the wind opening it again. There were only a couple of bangs, and no request for the door to open, just, again, a little faster than the footsteps, one two, one two, one two.

The rain died down just before knock off at 1800, just as the sun was setting. I locked up and went down to my car. Both doors were open, as was my pack. The contents were scattered around on the ground, books and cans of drink and a couple of bags of lollies. Nothing was gone, just scattered. I gathered my kit and buggered off back off the mountain.

I didn't tell anyone at work, they'd just call me a pussy or a wanker or something, but it did make me realise just how vulnerable we are when we leave the safety of other people. I imagine that's how cavemen felt when the campfire was far away and the wolves were howling. Or I would think that, but I really don't want to think about what is beyond our campfire.

So I kept to my job, and I kept my eyes open, and that is the only true scary thing that has really ever happened to me.

the clockmaker:
I know that this isn't freaky to anyone who wasn't there, but a part of my old job involved manning a firetower about fifteen ks from anyone else. There is one road in, that you can observe at all times and the sides of the mountain that it sits on are too steep to climb easily. And, a guy died up there, heart attack, a couple of years ago, actually not all that uncommon for isolated jobs. (that last part is unrelated but gave me the jeebies)

But what really did my nuts in was the day the rains came. First off, when I climbed down to the tower's lower level at about mid day, I found the door open, most likely because the guy before me had forgotten to lock it, so the rain had gotten in and the floor was soaked. I tripped and twisted my ankle.

Then, at about 1300, radio reception went down, followed by power at about 1330. The storm hit at about 1400, bringing visibility down to a few meters and soon making the road out impassable. To take stock at this point, I was trapped fifteen ks from the nearest help, with a twisted ankle, no comms, no power and I couldn't see what was happening outside. I grabbed my torch and book and tried to while away the day.

The footsteps started at about 1600, not the sort of soft scrape of a roo at rest or the individual scrabble of a leap, but a very distinct one, two, one, two on the gravel around my tower. It was probably not all that loud, but I heard it over the rain. The birds were quiet by then. The nesting pair of wedge tails had hunkered down, much like I had and either the cockies were being uncharacteristically silent or they had buggered off, I couldn't see.

This state of affairs carried on for about fifteen minutes, rain and a steady one two. Then something banged against the lower door. I had locked it to prevent the wind opening it again. There were only a couple of bangs, and no request for the door to open, just, again, a little faster than the footsteps, one two, one two, one two.

The rain died down just before knock off at 1800, just as the sun was setting. I locked up and went down to my car. Both doors were open, as was my pack. The contents were scattered around on the ground, books and cans of drink and a couple of bags of lollies. Nothing was gone, just scattered. I gathered my kit and buggered off back off the mountain.

I didn't tell anyone at work, they'd just call me a pussy or a wanker or something, but it did make me realise just how vulnerable we are when we leave the safety of other people. I imagine that's how cavemen felt when the campfire was far away and the wolves were howling. Or I would think that, but I really don't want to think about what is beyond our campfire.

So I kept to my job, and I kept my eyes open, and that is the only true scary thing that has really ever happened to me.

Damn you.

My car rolled down a hill 3:27pm that day. I hurt my left leg, I couldn't get reception due to the storm, I had bruises all over me and I lost my voice due to a cold. I saw a tower on a hill nearby so I thought I could find some help there (Yes, I know I could've stayed in the car until the storm died down, but what good did I know?). So I limped through a wet, freezing torrent of rain in the middle of a storm up the road leading towards the tower.
I passed by a parked car along the way, so I knew someone must be up there. By the time I got up the hill where the tower was, I was dazed, tired, confounded and soaked. I walked around the tower looking for an entrance, my foot were still hurting and worn down from the walk. I found the door and knocked on it. No one answered. I continued banging on it for awhile, there had to be someone inside. It was a locked steel door; I couldn't open it. I was really distressed.
Amidst the pouring rain, I decided to go back down to the car. I needed to get shelter from the rain. Fortunately for me, the doors were unlocked, and I crawled inside. There was a backpack in the front seat, I went through the bag expecting some food, thinking that whoever owned the car would understand. I took out a lolly from the bag when I saw headlights coming up from the road. Realizing that this may probably be the only chance to get help, I jumped out from the other door and staggered as fast as I could towards the main road. I got a ride and was driven to the nearest town 15 km away for help. I could've died on the mountains if I didn't catch that ride.

Jebus Christ, you could've killed me.

Hey guys....I wanna show you all my cuddly friend...

...she loves hugs.

Diligent:

scary stuff..

Ldude893:

the clockmaker:

Damn you.

My car rolled down a hill 3:27pm that day. I hurt my left leg, I couldn't get reception due to the storm, I had bruises all over me and I lost my voice due to a cold. I saw a tower on a hill nearby so I thought I could find some help there (Yes, I know I could've stayed in the car until the storm died down, but what good did I know?). So I limped through a wet, freezing torrent of rain in the middle of a storm up the road leading towards the tower.
I passed by a parked car along the way, so I knew someone must be up there. By the time I got up the hill where the tower was, I was dazed, tired, confounded and soaked. I walked around the tower looking for an entrance, my foot were still hurting and worn down from the walk. I found the door and knocked on it. No one answered. I continued banging on it for awhile, there had to be someone inside. It was a locked steel door; I couldn't open it. I was really distressed.
Amidst the pouring rain, I decided to go back down to the car. I needed to get shelter from the rain. Fortunately for me, the doors were unlocked, and I crawled inside. There was a backpack in the front seat, I went through the bag expecting some food, thinking that whoever owned the car would understand. I took out a lolly from the bag when I saw headlights coming up from the road. Realizing that this may probably be the only chance to get help, I jumped out from the other door and staggered as fast as I could towards the main road. I got a ride and was driven to the nearest town 15 km away for help. I could've died on the mountains if I didn't catch that ride.

Jebus Christ, you could've killed me.

Why were you on a military base?

David_G:

I don't get either, what's so scary about those pictures (besides the first one) and what was the daemons name in the second one? There's no hint or clues to it's name at all. D:

I've read alot of this stuff but I just don't get what's so scary about it. Not trolling but I just don't see what's so scary about alot of it.

dalek sec:

David_G:

I don't get either, what's so scary about those pictures (besides the first one) and what was the daemons name in the second one? There's no hint or clues to it's name at all. D:

I've read alot of this stuff but I just don't get what's so scary about it. Not trolling but I just don't see what's so scary about alot of it.

TROLLLL!

Seriously, though. I guess it depends on the person, besides creepypasta quality has been downhill for quite some time now.

Also, the name of the demon... look at the name of the spoiler.

The funny thing about this thread is, a lot of the stories are about something being behind me and whatnot.
But what is actually behind me is a calendar with a hot topless brunette.
Works especially well with stories that end in something like "OMG LOOK BEHIND YOU!".
Then I do, and I'm greeted by a lovely young lady smiling me at me and showing me her lovely breasts.
Scary, it is not.

Something pretty creepy happened to me yesterday, I was just sitting in my room minding my own buisness and my entire house starts to shake and I hear this deafening roar, so I run outside and see an AC-130 very low off in the distance.

Not really scary to anyone else but it shocked the hell out of me.

Bit more interesting than scary, thought I'd share.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/8-real-photographs-that-prove-hell-exists-earth/

Impluse_101:
Hey guys....I wanna show you all my cuddly friend...

...she loves hugs.

Well that made me jump, congrats.

TheYellowCellPhone:
SNIP

Where'd that cellphone go?

Redlin5:

Jesus, had my new avatar for less than an hour and already someone notices.

I changed it, I got bored of it and found it bland. The one I have I find cute.

EDIT: For ultimate "d'awwww"-ness, look at the picture in my account.

TheYellowCellPhone:

Redlin5:

Jesus, had my new avatar for less than an hour and already someone notices.

I changed it, I got bored of it and found it bland. The one I have I find cute.

EDIT: For ultimate "d'awwww"-ness, look at the picture in my account.

Hahaha, so I am the first to notice! I'm usually the last when it comes to these things. Fargodog shook me off his trail for about 5 months.

Redlin5:
Hahaha, so I am the first to notice! I'm usually the last when it comes to these things. Fargodog shook me off his trail for about 5 months.

Yeah, but he changed his username.

I remember thinking to myself "who's this guy with 5,000 posts?" Then maybe a week later I put two and two together.

TheYellowCellPhone:

Redlin5:

Yeah, but he changed his username.

I remember thinking to myself "who's this guy with 5,000 posts?" Then maybe a week later I put two and two together.

Well at least you didn't throw me off by doing that. I know your username, I see it fairly often :)

David_G:

In Berlin, after World War II, money was short, supplies were tight, and it seemed like everyone was hungry. At that time, people were telling the tale of a young woman who saw a blind man picking his way through a crowd. The two started to talk. The man asked her for a favor: could she deliver the letter to the adress on the envelope? Well, it was on her way home, so she agreed.

She started out to deliver the message, when she turned around to see if there was anything else the blind man needed. But she spotted him hurrying through the crowd without his smoked glasses or white cane. She went to the police, who raided the address on the envelope, where they found heaps of human flesh for sale.

And what was in the envelope? "This is the last one I am sending to you today."

that story was in Horrible Histories =P

David_G:

Out of everything in this thread, this and Slender Man have made me jump the most.

Mad Fast:
and cracked open a nice crate of premium ale to forget the whole thing.

the ONLY solution to such a situation XD

I just tried writing my own one up regarding Minecraft, it's a bit long but I haven't really written anything scary before so I wouldn't mind some feedback.

I can't believe I'm still contributing.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3431/1302341471833.gif

Many classic horror icons, such as Geger's xenomorphs, Silent Hill's Pyramid Head, and other disturbing creatures, share common characteristics. Pale skin, dark, sunken eyes, elongated faces, sharp teeth, and the like. These images inspire horror and revulsion in many, and with good reason. The characteristics shared by these faces are imprinted in the human mind.

Many things frighten humans instinctively. The fear is natural, and does not need to be reinforced in order to terrify. The fears are species-wide, stemming from dark times in the past when lightning could mean the burning of your tree home, thunder could be the approaching gallops of a stampede, predators could hide in darkness, and heights could make poor footing lethal.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

What happened, deep in the hidden eras before history began, that could effect the entire human race so evenly as to give the entire species a deep, instinctual, and lasting fear of pale beings with dark, sunken eyes, razor sharp teeth, and elongated faces?

... Just be careful out there.

Carl Russell:
Many classic horror icons, such as Geger's xenomorphs, Silent Hill's Pyramid Head, and other disturbing creatures, share common characteristics. Pale skin, dark, sunken eyes, elongated faces, sharp teeth, and the like. These images inspire horror and revulsion in many, and with good reason. The characteristics shared by these faces are imprinted in the human mind.

Many things frighten humans instinctively. The fear is natural, and does not need to be reinforced in order to terrify. The fears are species-wide, stemming from dark times in the past when lightning could mean the burning of your tree home, thunder could be the approaching gallops of a stampede, predators could hide in darkness, and heights could make poor footing lethal.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

What happened, deep in the hidden eras before history began, that could effect the entire human race so evenly as to give the entire species a deep, instinctual, and lasting fear of pale beings with dark, sunken eyes, razor sharp teeth, and elongated faces?

... Just be careful out there.

Yeah... already has been posted.

Zhukov:

David_G:

Whoa. That was really good. Not scary or anything, but a darn good read. Thanks for posting it.

(Incidentally, that story reminds me of the Krogan and Geth from Mass Effect.)

Haunting, but basically pretty accurate

David_G:

Nice try. I'm extra careful when clicking links to gifs, especially on this thread.

Ldude893:

David_G:

Nice try. I'm extra careful when clicking links to gifs, especially on this thread.

Open it... trust me...

irequirefood:
I chuckled a little when I saw this pop back up. It will never die.

July 2010 to April 2011 and still going strong ... but I can't remember how far through it I got so I don't know where to start reading again.

http://www.collectedcurios.com/freakshow.html

Just still images linked on the left, but ... they're kind of creepy.

Variation on an old, sad story:

"For sale: one pair baby shoes, never worn, seventeen previous owners."

darthotaku:
God, I've read most of this thread and i'm walking home late at night, past a graveyard.

Safest place in the world. Everybody in it's dead.

arc1991:
No, no, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

i need to sleep you know!!! >.<

Anyway might as well contribute

As far as i know, it's one of the only video's that is very hard to explain...

Erm ... doesn't look very real, to be honest. "D'you hear that?" right at the start, no shake, the fact he shut the door again and so on make it look set up.

Also: er, nothing really spooky there. He just sort of gasped and shut the door quickly.

Is ... er ... is everyone else seeing something in that film that I just don't see?

PrototypeC:
http://www.shibito.com/e/top_hp.html
One of the pictures there just... ugh.

Clicked first link. The "when the road narrowed down" picture was kind of pretty. The rest ... yawnsome, I'm afraid. Sorry.

David_G:
I don't get this one. What's the piggyback?

Stand with your upper arms sloping out and down, your forearms hanging down and your hands curled round so your fingernails are against your hips. Now imagine a slender girl (or a stonking great big, hairy, smelly man with a prickly beard and whisky on his breath if you prefer) pressed against your back, arms over your shoulders, holding your lapels (or your chin if she's tiny) and thighs resting on your hands, looking forwards over your head or past your ear.

Scarecrow 8:
Please let this thread die. I may never sleep again.

Foolish child. The thread hungers. It can never die, for it will feed. One way or another, this thread will live on, slithering across the net, curling up in archives and reaching out to the curious, drawing in more and more minds, feeding on our contributions and the fear in our readers as long as we can satisfy it, and feeding when we fail, too. Be glad when we post, and be very glad when someone is afraid. At least you know it's been fed.

Hanzo Hattori:

rescuer86:

zehydra:
I've got one:
So ur with ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rigns. U anser it n the vioce is "wut r u doing wit my daughter?" U tell ur girl n she say "my dad is ded". THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

The spelling and grammar police?

I know this has been posted ages ago but I just wanted to add:

The grammar GESTAPO more like.

Nobody expects the Grammar Inquisition! Our main weapon is apostrophes and semi-colons. Our TWO main weapons are apostrophes and semi-colons, and reflexive pronouns.

The Gift Of Mercy is good! It's more of a tragedy than a horror story, but it's good.

Pennywise as shown wasn't scary.

Pennywise in the book was scary.

*Fur Elise starts playing*

Cute, WMP. Really cute.

Rhymenoceros:

PoisonUnagi:
NO NO NO THE SCARY THREAD MUST NOT RETURN PLEASE NO

This is like, the seventh revival...

I've revived it three or four times so seven may be a bit low.

I don't even like scary stories! they scare me too much!

I think we're alright as long as it doesn't get to thirteen, aren't we?

Safest thing to do: keep it alive.

DarthFennec:
... check 1:22 ...

God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth."

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:

Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.

Errr ... I'm guessing you meant the quotation from Matthew.

DragonBorn96:
Anyone ever heard of the Blair Witch Project?

Oh, yes. I remember the ridiculous amounts of hype about it in the papers before the film came out and actually took someone to see it. We left about two thirds of the way through.

"Three dumb Yanks run around in circles in the woods screaming 'Fuck' at each other, then die."

The first five minutes told you how it would end, the last five minutes exactly followed what the first five had told you to expect and the eighty in between were three incredibly dumb Yanks running around in circles in the woods screaming 'Fuck' at each other.

BE AFRAID VERY AFRAID. Needs more stories.

Macheteswordgun:
BE AFRAID VERY AFRAID. Needs more stories.

You bastard! You've doomed us all!

My friend told me this story, I don't know where he got it from, thou I do know it isn't his.

So, this girl has a dog that sleeps in her room, and every night before she goes to sleep she sticks her hand out from the covers and it licks her hand. One night she gets up to go to the bathroom. She finds her dog dead in the sink, with the words 'Humans can lick hands too' written in blood.

I couldn't leave this thread without adding something to it. It might not be that great as I wrote it in about 15 minutes, so don't judge me to harshly.

Enjoy :)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 . . . 48 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or