Losing Interest in Everything

Pages PREV 1 2

Spekter068:
Talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for an antidepressant.

No thank you. There are other methods of dealing with depression and until they've all been exhausted I think I'll refrain from turning to medication. Besides, I'm still not convinced this is depression anyway.

Yeah, but pretty sure I have clinical depression... so... meh...

-Drifter-:
Ever lost all enthusiasm for the world, even the bits of it you usually like? Had even your wildest dreams lose all trace of excitement?

You should rename this thread "Growing older."

This is pretty much how is goes as you get older. If you stick around long enough you will slowly begin adjust to a world that is no longer as exciting as you found it when you were younger. It's not such a bad thing, it's a just a part of life that a lot of people have trouble dealing with. I suggest it might be time for you to search for true meaning in life, not just meaningless distraction. Good luck.

floppylobster:

-Drifter-:
Ever lost all enthusiasm for the world, even the bits of it you usually like? Had even your wildest dreams lose all trace of excitement?

You should rename this thread "Growing older."

This is pretty much how is goes as you get older. If you stick around long enough you will slowly begin adjust to a world that is no longer as exciting as you found it when you were younger. It's not such a bad thing, it's a just a part of life that a lot of people have trouble dealing with. I suggest it might be time for you to search for true meaning in life, not just meaningless distraction. Good luck.

I'm of the opinion that the important question is not "What is the true meaning of life?" but rather "Does life have a true meaning?" and/or "Does life have any meaning beyond that which we create?"

Yes, that was pretty much entire summer. Oddly enough, it ended because school started.

Wow...this post got here just in time. I just lost interest in everything I do. I just don't care anymore...I have a slew of problems currently, and I'd really rather be everywhere but where I am at any given moment.

I've been feeling this way a lot recently. I'm a teenager in a small town without a licence to drive so I can't go out and do anything. My vidya games are all I've got and I'm starting to lose interest. I don't believe in depression without a traumatic event so I wouldn't say I'm depressed, just bored. Once I can drive and get out on my own I'll have no reason to lay around like I'm doing now.

You could do the following:

Learn a programming language. I recommend 3dbuzz.com for tutorials.
Create the design document for a video game. Even if you can't program, it's still fun and maybe you could find people some day to get it made if you can do other things.
Learn a real life language.
Write a book.
Design your own fantasy world. This could be part of writing a book or the video game design document. Or not.

If you actually lack the motivation to do those things, then I recommend sit ups. Or you could just wait it out and it should eventually pass.

No, not yet, but then again, I'm only 14 sooooooo, yeah...

-Drifter-:
Ever lost all enthusiasm for the world, even the bits of it you usually like? Had even your wildest dreams lose all trace of excitement? I ask because recently it's been happening to me. Some people might call it depression, but I don't feel depressed, just bored.

I plan on getting out more in the hopes that it'll wear off, but who's to say for sure? I just hope it does, because this really blows.

Question above, yes or no?

I think that's a good idea. If what you are doing now makes you feel empty, get out and try new things. Take things with a clear mindset, as they come to you/as you experience them and build new likes and new ideas to go off of. :D

-Drifter-:
Ever lost all enthusiasm for the world, even the bits of it you usually like? Had even your wildest dreams lose all trace of excitement? I ask because recently it's been happening to me. Some people might call it depression, but I don't feel depressed, just bored.

I plan on getting out more in the hopes that it'll wear off, but who's to say for sure? I just hope it does, because this really blows.

Question above, yes or no?

Welcome to my life. I'm not sure it actually qualifies as depression, though I've heard some say it is. I just call it apathy. It's not all that hard to deal with it, in my experience, it just takes some of the most random crap you've ever done. What I tend to do is just grab some paper and a pen and start writing down everything that comes to mind, until something catches my interest and I do that for a while.

It has happened to me once or twice. I just go with the flow for a while and wait for things to get fun again.

-Drifter-:
Some people might call it depression, but I don't feel depressed, just bored.

Yeah, people tend not to know the difference between having something and having its symptoms. Losing interest in things is indeed a symptom but you need more than one symptom of anything to have it.

I actually occasionally feel that way (thankfully haven't for a while), but when that happens I just find something to do. Try a new game, read a book, watch a tv show, check out a movie (read manga/watch anime if that's your cup of tea).

I make it sound simple, but if you feel that way, keep looking for something, you'll find something to occupy yourself.

I might recommend kongregate.com, it has a lot of free games and some are actually pretty good.

Hope you feel better.

CheesusCrust:
I've been feeling this way a lot recently. I'm a teenager in a small town without a licence to drive so I can't go out and do anything. My vidya games are all I've got and I'm starting to lose interest. I don't believe in depression without a traumatic event so I wouldn't say I'm depressed, just bored. Once I can drive and get out on my own I'll have no reason to lay around like I'm doing now.

Is walking out of the question? A blizzard or something perhaps?

erm outside of the "you need pills approach" go to the gym, its one of the best anti depressants available. Plus paying a gym membership motivates you to get your monies worth and investigating routines and schedules for your workout can absorb time very nicely. Plus after 6 months you will look and feel much better. It worked for me. I suffer from a depressive disorder and a stress disorder but find the time i put into the gym elivates most symptoms.

-Drifter-:

CheesusCrust:

Well it's extremely hot outside.
Also This

CheesusCrust:

-Drifter-:

CheesusCrust:

Also This

Well that's unfortunate. Perhaps you should Scooter your way to victory?

Haha, I used to have an electric scooter but the damn thing stopped working.
*Edit* Forgot to quote...

Yes. Usually if it's bad they clinically call it depression.

It's not fun.

I'm in the same position as you, I got to the point where I couldn't stand to be around any of my friends, and everything that I love doing, (Gaming, Mountain bikeing,) started to bore me, I even got to the point where I only ate food to stay alive, I was never hungry and everything i did eat was tasteless.

Excersize is a great way to make your self feel better

imperialwar:
go to the gym, its one of the best anti depressants available. Plus paying a gym membership motivates you to get your monies worth and investigating routines and schedules for your workout can absorb time very nicely. Plus after 6 months you will look and feel much better.

Right on the money, When you are fit and look great you feel great!

Every week I'm working out with my friends and I have also started to hang out with friends that I hardly ever see.

And doing new things is also great, I am doing Salsa dancing and its great fun (Plus there's a 3 to 1 girl to guy ratio which is awesome)

You might (depending on weather your working or not), try another line of work.
Work is a main reason why a lot of peeps are feeling down, so change and look for a challenge.

And last but not least, Get a Girlfriend! They go a long way to making you forget problems by making themselves your main Problem/distraction.

-Drifter-:
snip

You might want to find a counselor. What you're describing sounds like anhedonia, which is a symptom of depression.

CheesusCrust:

-Drifter-:

CheesusCrust:

Also This

Whoever wrote that article used Medical Jargon on purpose to sound smart O.o

Littlee300:

CheesusCrust:

-Drifter-:

Also This

Whoever wrote that article used Medical Jargon on purpose to sound smart O.o

Probably. Since Cardiomyopathy has different types and crap its hard to find decent articles to describe my illness. Also it's hard to stretch "Your heart is f****d" into a lengthy article.

SHIFTYMACO:
I'm in the same position as you, I got to the point where I couldn't stand to be around any of my friends, and everything that I love doing, (Gaming, Mountain bikeing,) started to bore me, I even got to the point where I only ate food to stay alive, I was never hungry and everything i did eat was tasteless.

I wouldn't say it's that bad. I can't stand being around my closest friend (and I mean that in the most literal sense possible, since I returned from 100 mile to find that he had moved into my room.) But then, he's changed a lot since I last saw him, working all day, smoking weed whenever he isn't working (and he's no fun when he's high) and basically just being an absent minded hippy with no aspirations. I usually like hanging out with the rest, though. Food isn't tasteless either, although I do rarely get hungry. Sometimes it'll be 4:00 pm before I realize I haven't eaten all day. Can't be good for a fella.

But yeah, I was planning to get out more and maybe try some new stuff. What I'd really like to do is draw, since that's my one true passion, but recently I find it's getting harder and harder to actually accomplish anything, and even harder still to come up with original material to draw. This is probably the best thing I've created in recent weeks...

... and it's just some really rough fan art. But whatever, maybe I just need to put drawing on hold for a while.

-Drifter-:

floppylobster:

-Drifter-:
Ever lost all enthusiasm for the world, even the bits of it you usually like? Had even your wildest dreams lost all trace of excitement?

You might wish to rename this thread "Growing older."

I'm of the opinion that the important question is not "What is the true meaning of life?" but rather "Does life have a true meaning?" and/or "Does life have any meaning beyond that which we create?"

Which is why I wrote, 'search for true meaning in life' and not, 'search for the true meaning of life'. Basically I'm saying find whatever gets you by. And if I were you I'd start by losing the expectations of your 'wildest dreams'. Dreams, and any such hopes, fears or predictions of the future are meaningless in that they don't exist beyond being hypothetical creations of your mind in the present moment. Such expectations without actions can only lead to an unsettled mind. [/yoda]

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked