Police use pepper spray on a baby squirrel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Russian_Assassin:

jpoon:
Good fucking god, COPS ARE FUCKING IDIOTS! Man, they should all be put the fuck down for everyone else's safety. Cops are completely useless nowdays and it really REALLY shows...

A rabid baby squirrel?! You have to be fucking joking me you morons.

Well I doubt the squirrel was prancing merrily around the meadow, picking up flowers when the EEEEEEVIL POLICEMAN came along and started torturing it! Squirrels are not as friendly and weak as you think, my fellow escapist.

Besides, if an animal is acting rabid, the best thing to do is immobilize it. I once saw a dog. It looked calm, but as I walked past it (WALKED, I didn't run and I didn't even look at it directly) IT BIT A FUCKING CHUNK OFF MY LEG! Good thing there is no such thing as rabies in Greece. I still have the scar though.

It was acting rabid? I sure didn't see it, it was probably pissed off about being pepper sprayed by a dumbfuck cop for no reason, can't blame it one bit. Common sense is definitely not common anymore. There is no way I'd be scared of that little guy, my shoe would have easily handled the problem were it actually bad.

my guess is he worked at the school, and if anything did happen to those kids, it'd be the school's ass and then they'd come down on him hard

icame:

cWg | Konka:
I hope he gets shot by someone for this

This, many times over.

You aren't seriously that fucked up are you? It was a rabid squirrel, and those fucks can be dangerous. The officer handled it in the best way he could. I mean, damn, it's only a bit of pepper spray.

Horrible. thats torture to the poor thing,something thats generally used on humans dogs and bears and then use it on something thats a fraction the size who knows how horrible it was for it. :(

Rayne870:
Weird that the police responded, but there really is no better way for someone untrained in animal issues to deal with possibly rabid animals. What he needs is the proper equipment, something that animal control should have had. That said it used to be that suspected rabid animals were simply shot. Pepper spray just seems to be a waste of time in that respect.

This^.

In my town we have two animal control officers, one is a rookie and the other is afraid of anything that can potentially bark.

when the police officers cant get ahold of them the only thing they can do is:

A. attempt to, by hand, secure the animal in their patrol car and bring it to the pound.

B. attempt to contact the owner.

C. put the animal down.

you can imagine what usually happens when you have a Pit-bull for a guard dog who is doing its job by not letting strangers onto your property.

They wont try to contact you, they wont try to secure the animal, its always a 12 Ga. or a .45.

Saucycardog:

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/04/08/6435540-officer-caught-on-video-pepper-spraying-baby-squirrel?gt1=43001

Maybe that squirrel was rabid. I don't know. But it seemed kinda cute when it hopped after the officer.

"Officer Davis, from Mesquite ISD..."

Yup, this sounds like a Texas cop. And like a high school rent-a-cop. Come to think of it, this sounds exactly like a Texas high school rent-a-cop.

If y'all will allow me to be impertinent for a moment, I went to Mansfield High School, not far from Mesquite. I nearly ran over one of our rent-a-cops one day when he was directing traffic, because he stepped into my lane, while looking the other way, and still waving me on (I was about 2 car lengths from him at the time and fortunately only going about 20 mph). He gave me a thorough excoriating before sending me on my way. Previously, this same inept hothead threw a 15-year-old kid to the ground and cuffed him for refusing to take his cap off. And, right after, he profiled and harassed a Mexican friend of mine.

High school rent-a-cops. The disparity of ego to lot in life makes for a dangerous cocktail.

Squirrels are vermin I'm afraid no matter how cute and fluffy they appear. Police officer was doing his job and not letting it get near what sounds like a crowd of stupid teens.

Pepper spray was a silly thing to use however, He should have just scared it off with normal means. Or maybe he has a phobia. Who knows.

Stupid video. Everyone in it is dumb. Squirrel for getting near those people, Police officer for not using his brain and maybe shouting at it to scare it off. And the tweenies for squealing and breaking my ears.

MMMMM. Peppermint squirrel. What a rare treat.

Hisshiss:
...It's a squirrel. How is this making news?

are you stupid? its for that reason alone its making news.

Police use pepper spray on a baby squirrel will cause anger/sadness/disgust, while Police use pepper spray on a person will NEVER make the news.

-Samurai-:

Shit, man, I've been using parsley in my squirrel stew, but peppermint sounds way better!

It's got more of that oomph factor, ya know?

Icy Lemon:

-Samurai-:

Shit, man, I've been using parsley in my squirrel stew, but peppermint sounds way better!

It's got more of that oomph factor, ya know?

I was thinking more along the lines of just picking that one up and taking a bite out of its back, but I guess it could work in a stew.

Squirrels are evil and the public should be protected from these bushy-tailed menaces at all cost.

jpoon:

It was acting rabid? I sure didn't see it, it was probably pissed off about being pepper sprayed by a dumbfuck cop for no reason, can't blame it one bit. Common sense is definitely not common anymore. There is no way I'd be scared of that little guy, my shoe would have easily handled the problem were it actually bad.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I concluded that none of us can have a full opinion on this because none of use actually know the full context. We base our reactions solely on speculations and the facts that the news source provided us with. Anyway, some absolutely, unconditionally adore animals.

Me? Not so much, so call me a miserable fuck if you want, but I can't really feel bad about any of the parties involved. I do love cats though. If it were a cat I would also scream for the cops decapitation at dawn!

neonit:
aaaaaah! its a squirrel! its going to destroy us! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!
cmon ppl, are you really that dumb? you afraid of flies too?
pathetic.....

edit: whats interesting to me is... what was this police guy doing there? somebody called police?
like in "help us, we are attacked by a squirrel"? and they responded?!

Someone doesn't live in a police state. I am envious.

Russian_Assassin:

jpoon:

I've been thinking about this for a while and I concluded that none of us can have a full opinion on this because none of use actually know the full context. We base our reactions solely on speculations and the facts that the news source provided us with. Anyway, some absolutely, unconditionally adore animals.

Me? Not so much, so call me a miserable fuck if you want, but I can't really feel bad about any of the parties involved. I do love cats though. If it were a cat I would also scream for the cops decapitation at dawn!

I just wanted to share my feelings about cops in America.

They are all fucking dipshits, the end.

punkrocker27:
my guess is he worked at the school, and if anything did happen to those kids, it'd be the school's ass and then they'd come down on him hard

yet another bugger who likes to comment without reading the link. He was called in by the school who suspected the squirrel is rabid. pple like you makes the internet full of uneducated comments.

dogstile:

Hey guys, protip

READ THE LINK

He got called out to handle it because they thought it was rabid and it was approaching children.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but i'd rather not risk kids or myself getting rabies, as it can kill you.

And before anyone says "its a baby, it can't bite anyone". They can. They have teeth. They can bite through skin.

As someone who lives near a lot of squirrels, I can confirm this statement. Grandpa got bit by a baby squirrel after it was cornered. Didn't even know it was there, it just was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thank god it didn't have rabies.

Bit right through his jeans and drew blood.

And squirrels are assholes. At my one friends house they throw nuts at his windows, and usually drop nuts on people passing underneath the trees.

FUCK squirrels.

As many people before have said, squirrels are vermin, and can carry some pretty bad diseases (eg Rabies), I have shot and killed squirrels (with an air rifle) for simply coming near my house, as you would a rat. I don't see the big deal

What?

I don't really get the context of this. Was the squirrel just hopping around? Was it attacking people? It doesn't look rabid, if it was it would've charged the people standing there.

*face palm* He. Thought. It. Had. RABIES.

Would those kids have preferred him let the squirrel bite them? Gah. Plus, the baby squirrel was FINE.

do people realize city squirrels are dangerous? There are reported attacks all the time, they're viscous sons of bitchs. XD

...I've never seen a squirrel that bold around people. I'd suspect it of being rabid, too. I'm just wondering "why a campus cop, and why pepper spray?" Animal control would have been much more appropriate.

jpoon:

Russian_Assassin:

jpoon:
Good fucking god, COPS ARE FUCKING IDIOTS! Man, they should all be put the fuck down for everyone else's safety. Cops are completely useless nowdays and it really REALLY shows...

A rabid baby squirrel?! You have to be fucking joking me you morons.

Well I doubt the squirrel was prancing merrily around the meadow, picking up flowers when the EEEEEEVIL POLICEMAN came along and started torturing it! Squirrels are not as friendly and weak as you think, my fellow escapist.

Besides, if an animal is acting rabid, the best thing to do is immobilize it. I once saw a dog. It looked calm, but as I walked past it (WALKED, I didn't run and I didn't even look at it directly) IT BIT A FUCKING CHUNK OFF MY LEG! Good thing there is no such thing as rabies in Greece. I still have the scar though.

rabies affects nervs (a rabid animal cant see 1foot in front of it that's why they bite there surprised about whats in front of them)

so a rabbid animal doesn't seek out blood it blindly stumbles into it kinda like this squirrel

Eh, I don't know much about the situation but I suspect it wouldn't have made it onto the internet if animal control had simply been called. But as I suspect, this officer was probably just in the area and they called him over.

People only hate him because it's a baby squirrel. If it hadn't been something cute most of you wouldn't give two shits.

wheres Police Academy when we need them? We need quality policemen!

On topic though, do we really just give them a suit, gun, and pepper spray now and say "have fun!" ?! For fucks sake, we need to institute a more disciplined police force otherwise more baby squirrels will suffer for it! And if we let this go on for to long, it will get worse and the next victem may be a Kitten! OMFG A KITTEN! RAAAAAGE!

Of course this is all a real joke to me so far, but continuing professionally here...

As read in the link, it appears that the police officer was sent there to assess the situation and deal with it, as it was suspected that the baby squirrel had rabies, and if it had bitten one of the children, it would have been very harmful, maybe lethal if not taken care of properly. However when I look at this, I see many problems.

1. When have the mass "untrained" populations of humanity ever been correct on the behaviour of animals? Literally, I'm not joking. They can only guess, but they can't actually know, and usually they only guess the worst possible thing because thats all they see outside there environment. When they saw the baby squirrel the first thing that came into their mind when they saw its usual habits, they thought "OMFG THAT THING WILL KILL ME!", and immidiatly will call the police to either kill it or get it away immidiately. Are we really so afraid of the wildlife that surrounds us that we must always have the worst possible answer when we come across one?

2. Why didn't they call the Animal Control in the first place? the Police Force in no situation are prepared to deal with anything involving the wildlife, that is for Animal Control and Rangers.

3. This is just another case to show just how uneducated our elementary teachers really are. American and Canadian. They didn't realise the situation because they allowed their worst fears to take over their judgement, which is the worst possible thing to teach their students. They did not have the discipline to control the situation, and also did not show the common sense on what to do to even deal with the situation. If they actually knew what a rapid animal looked like, the children could have had a very nice day, and the teachers could have just drove it away themselves, saving the time of the police/animal contol in the first place.

This is just all a huge misunderstanding of the concept that common sense is not by any means that common. Hence why I will now take it under vote that it will be renamed "Rare Sense of Common Situations" (RSCS).

Meh. Seems like he did the right thing, though I'm not exactly gleeful about it. Being pepper sprayed fucking hurts.

I came in here expecting this to be a joke about the 8 year old getting maced. Now I am sad.

He should have tazed it, then the girls would be all like "Don't taze it bro!"

Who cares?

Kalezian:

Rayne870:
Weird that the police responded, but there really is no better way for someone untrained in animal issues to deal with possibly rabid animals. What he needs is the proper equipment, something that animal control should have had. That said it used to be that suspected rabid animals were simply shot. Pepper spray just seems to be a waste of time in that respect.

This^.

In my town we have two animal control officers, one is a rookie and the other is afraid of anything that can potentially bark.

when the police officers cant get ahold of them the only thing they can do is:

A. attempt to, by hand, secure the animal in their patrol car and bring it to the pound.

B. attempt to contact the owner.

C. put the animal down.

you can imagine what usually happens when you have a Pit-bull for a guard dog who is doing its job by not letting strangers onto your property.

They wont try to contact you, they wont try to secure the animal, its always a 12 Ga. or a .45.

Now that is something I think a cop should be shot for. If you're dealing with an animal on someone's property unless it's mauling someone you fucking call the owner.

direkiller:

jpoon:

Russian_Assassin:

rabies affects nervs (a rabid animal cant see 1foot in front of it that's why they bite there surprised about whats in front of them)

so a rabbid animal doesn't seek out blood it blindly stumbles into it kinda like this squirrel

So why is it scampering towards the cop who is easily 4 to 5 feet away? There is no stumbling going on here, it looks more like a curious little squirrel who doesn't know to be affriad of the dumbfuck cop that's probably more scared than the squirrel.

Tsaba:
They pepper sprayed a wild animal.... a wild animal notorious for having rabies... and I'm somehow supposed to have feelings for this thing? Excuse me while I laugh this one off.

A most excellent response.

OT: That is not how healthy animals act. As such, it is only natural to assume that such an animal is not healthy. It is small and agile (things on two legs can't catch things with four) so if it got it into it's little head to bite someone, it would be difficult to stop. Besides, pepper spray has no lasting effects and we do worse to other animals for less of a reason. Justified use of delicious force.

Icy Lemon:

icame:

cWg | Konka:
I hope he gets shot by someone for this

This, many times over.

You aren't seriously that fucked up are you? It was a rabid squirrel, and those fucks can be dangerous. The officer handled it in the best way he could. I mean, damn, it's only a bit of pepper spray.

A bit of pepper spray to a human is going to feel a hell of a lot worse to something so small. Didn't realize it was rabies initially. I agree with what the officer did now with this knowledge. Now, if he had just done it for fun, without the animal having any such disease, then yes, I would have no problem with him being shot.

HAHAHA!!!

That was great!

The squirrel itself wasn't even that funny, the hilarious part was the girl in the background.

LOL, hasn't anyone else read cracked last article on why squirrels are evil.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19126_5-adorable-animals-that-are-turning-to-dark-side.html
That brave cop was protecting his own.

Seriously though, it's a wild animal, why should I feel bad for it? Not to mention that shit is actually incredibly funny.

Squirrels can't get rabies. Rodents have something in their DNA that prevents them from being infected by it. Those people are idiots.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here