Cop Tasers Fleeing Handcuffed Girl, Head injuries put her in vegetative state

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 NEXT

Liquidacid23:

Fleischer:

I'm amazed I haven't seen other people note that Officer Cole handcuffed the women with her arms in the front. Huge fail there.

no..

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2012/february/383311/Exclusive:-Trooper-defends-tasing-new-video-shows-suspect-out-of-handcuffs.html

he DID cuff her behind properly and she slipped them around (not very hard)...

She slipped one of the handcuffs off while she was in the cruiser. Later on, she put them back on.

I'm quoting from the linked article with Officer Cole's comment regarding the handcuff's location at the substation:

"They were in front of her, versus being behind her. So, at some point -- unbeknownst to me -- she moved them from rear to front," Cole says.

Office Cole is admitting that he was not properly monitoring Danielle Maudsley.

Ok a lesson about warning shots, if you fire a gun into the air, the bullet come back down with more then enough force to kill someone. Also firing it into the ground can in turn ricochet and kill someone to. Now while it's about as rare as smashing your head into the ground when you get tazzed, people HAVE been killed by it. It's CRIMINAL to fire an gun up in the air anywhere near an city or town.

Warning shots are just BS cops do in the movies

Haha that was funny. Takes a special kind of stupid to run when in handcuffs would have been better if the tazer wasn't used and she fell on her own. For those people feeling sorry for her don't worry the police officer will be in trouble because when people are in the handcuffs its the officers responsibility for their safety.

But slowly my plans for removing all the stupid people in the world is starting.

Fleischer:

* - I checked out her Facebook, to get some idea of what kind of person she is.

She even looks like a coke whore. Good riddance.

Micalas:

Fleischer:

* - I checked out her Facebook, to get some idea of what kind of person she is.

She even looks like a coke whore. Good riddance.

ahhh time to go cause trouble with insensitive remarks... after all that is what facebook is for right?

So he's fat and can't run.. If he's fat and can't run then it was right to use the tazer if he knew he couldn't catch her. Would you rather of just let her get away and risk a heart attack by running after her?

Why are cops always so afraid of Internal Investigations? Is it because they are all corrupt? No, they are simply ideally placed to know that being the subject of a police investigation is bad news whether you are guilty or not. When your job is to find criminals, everyone you see is just a criminal you haven't found any evidence against yet. And every object is just a piece of evidence which you haven't worked out how it incriminates your suspect yet.

Rottweiler:

I did not defend the actions of the criminal. Or does pointing out that someone shouldn't have been maimed count as defending their actions?

Yes, you did. Was it the policeman's fault the criminal ran, was tased according to policies, and accidentally fell and hurt themselves? According to you, the 'criminally incompetent cop' is at fault.

You attached no responsibility to the criminal, and by definition and by your own words, placed all blame on the Cop. You. Defended. The Criminal.

If that *isn't* your intent, you need to clarify that.

Yeah, I don't agree that placing all blame on the officer and none on the injured party equates to defending her. I don't see any way to attribute any blame to her, regardless of whether or not the officer is in any way to blame. Either it was a tragic accident, or an avoidable mistake, either way I can't find any way to blame a mentally unbalanced junkie for anything that happens to her while she's in the care of the police.

"Criminally incompetent" *might* have been going too far. But yes, I am predisposed to be suspicious of the police.

Don't run and you don't get hurt.

America's a weird place, ever since I read that article about the Black Friday shopping (what is that anyway...?) where a woman actually tased someone over groceries.

Shit just got real over there.

I like the no-nonsense quip of the OP.

Frankly I feel that if you're doing anything to rile a cop, you've no one to blame but yourself for what happens.

Why is this a tragedy? Honestly? So a druggy bitch got fucked up after 1. getting arrested and 2. fleeing from the police. It's a tragedy when a coked up retard falls down and goes boom after running from the cops, then I shudder to think what you call it when a cop dies on a drug bust.

I feel no sympathy for the girl.
a coked up girl who did 2 hit and runs, decides to take off from the cops in handcuffs.

You are lucky the cops didn't fill her with bullets.

I also want to point out a suspect under the influence of drugs can be very dangerous, it was safer for the police and the general public to taster her right away than to run after her.

This is nothing, I seen cops taser a guy who just got hit with the patrol car and still got up and tried to run away. A car hit him, and he was able to get back up right away.
In the same incident, the guys friend attempted to take the gun away from the police in a brawl. They are both lucky not to be shot.

Don't run. Simple as that.

She was already busted by the cops, and she decided to resist more, the officer used the tools he's been given to subdue the suspect.

Darwinism really..

SickBritKid:

Random Fella:
No sympathy, as she shouldn't have run from the Police
But seriously, he could have caught her, the use of the taser was unnecessary, I hope he gets something for this
Also you can see why she's in a vegetated state, lands pretty much straight on her head onto the pavement... Ouch.

The cop explains, in his interview, why he didn't: he outweighed her by a good 100 or so pounds. If he tackled her, she would've been in the hospital with a crushed ribcage.

I never thought of it that way, I guess I assumed he could have done something other than tackle her, but you're right, it would have been the only alternative.
Okay, he justified himself in my eyes, thank you.

more proof for my theory that no police person is to be trusted.

bloodmage2:

That is a bit of a generalization isn't it? Because one cop makes a mistake that makes all cops untrustworthy? What about the cops that do great things and help people in time of need? Should they be considered untrustworthy as well because of another cop's mistake?

I agree that he should have tackled her in a safe manner instead of using a taser. I also think that the woman should have just cooperated with him instead of doing a dumb thing like trying to run away.

bloodmage2:

Given that both my parents were arrested for protesting apartheid and my brother has just finished a year long court case of the arresting officer delaying and lying to us I would say I have to agree with your theory there. There seems to be a lot of idiot cops about and you can never be sure if you are getting the ones with some cells in their cranium.

Another case where nobody's right. She was foolish to run, he would have run faster and caught her if he hadn't immediately reached for his taser.

Calling it murder is a bit harsh. It's use of less than lethal force with unforeseen, yet easily preventable consequences. Sure, regulations say he shouldn't have used the taser on her anyway, but saying he got off free isn't quite right. He has to live with having inadvertently put a girl in a vegetative state, and most non-sociopaths would be deeply troubled by that.

Why the hell is this still going on?

Poster A will post: derogatory slam against cops/they are fat/have too much power/are stupid and should have done this/something that may or may not have work/this by policy and procedure/something that I read someone else say and its a real loss of life she should have been let go/did nothing wrong/died for no reason/cops are just killers/use of weapons should only be used in a real threat.

Poster B will reply: Cops did the right thing/were defending themselves and could have been hurt/followed proper policy and procedure/had brain chemicals pumping through their body that made them act that way/were cleared/as read by other more unbiased sources actually were dealing with a drugged up coke head/had it coming/her death was just gods way of getting rid of trash/was in the wrong and to be blamed for her own death/posed a threat to the officers/killed herself/was given every chance in the world to avoid/better off dead/might have been unrelated to tazer/was taken down in the most humane way possible/is not a reflection of the entire police force.

Poster A will reply with a reiterated version of their above post.

Poster B will reply with a reiterated version of their above post.

Poster C will reply with a neutral post about how this is sad/no one is right/everyone is at fault and then leave.

This entire post and for that matter any post that has to do with police action has the same IQ level as their Youtube variant, everyone is already set in their ways to debating is pointless.

NiPah:
Why the hell is this still going on?

Poster A will post: derogatory slam against cops/they are fat/have too much power/are stupid and should have done this/something that may or may not have work/this by policy and procedure/something that I read someone else say and its a real loss of life she should have been let go/did nothing wrong/died for no reason/cops are just killers/use of weapons should only be used in a real threat.

Poster B will reply: Cops did the right thing/were defending themselves and could have been hurt/followed proper policy and procedure/had brain chemicals pumping through their body that made them act that way/were cleared/as read by other more unbiased sources actually were dealing with a drugged up coke head/had it coming/her death was just gods way of getting rid of trash/was in the wrong and to be blamed for her own death/posed a threat to the officers/killed herself/was given every chance in the world to avoid/better off dead/might have been unrelated to tazer/was taken down in the most humane way possible/is not a reflection of the entire police force.

Poster A will reply with a reiterated version of their above post.

Poster B will reply with a reiterated version of their above post.

Poster C will reply with a neutral post about how this is sad/no one is right/everyone is at fault and then leave.

This entire post and for that matter any post that has to do with police action has the same IQ level as their Youtube variant, everyone is already set in their ways to debating is pointless.

You're not the first person to bring up this point, but I felt the need to respond. You may be right that insofar as people in this sort of thread are blind ideologues (pretty common, esp. on internet forums), yes it's pointless to have the debate. In this thread especially, hardly anyone is listening to anyone else, and most people are just making sweeping dismissive claims. I certainly agree at how immaturely and irresponsibly the vast majority of posters in this thread have chosen to handle the issue...

Still, it's important that we don't just resign ourselves to dropping such concerns and discussion; letting these sorts of things go on without anything ever changing. Of course, this forum should not be the only arena for such discussions, but it's a discussion that needs to happen...even if only one person that posts in and/or reads this thread decides to take proper action regarding such issues in the future.

You're of course right, but a few nuggets of wisdom and proper discourse are floating in a sea of shit that is this thread. I'm honestly sickened and revolted by the very posters in this thread, something I've never seen in any other post type on the Escapist.

This thread does not make me want to change laws and policies governing police forces and the use of weapons on civilians, to be perfectly frank it makes me care less about the issue and causes me to ignore future posts of this sort.

He was so close to the woman he had to stop himself from crashing into her.

All the questionable taser videos out there should not come as a surprise to anyone who has spent some time around cops. I've known some and frequented shooting ranges with them. They treat their firearms like toys. In my experience at local ranges open to the public, shooting accidents are rare or even nonexistent. When accidents do occur, they are caused by off duty policeman or sheriff's deputies, almost as a rule. The range I used to shoot at suffered only one accident in it's twenty year history, which involved an off duty cop. The Sheriff's Department range down the road experienced at least four injuries in just ten years. At the range my brother wants to join, a cop accidentally shot himself not two weeks ago. Insofar as you can avoid it, you just do not stand next to a cop at a shooting range.

Like their firearms, cops treat their tasers like toys. Based on this video, it's at least superficially obvious the officer chose the taser over safer, more obvious, even easier means. He could have grabbed her arms or clothing- she was easily within reach, so much so that he had to stop himself from crashing into her. Instead, he chose to play with his toy. Videos like this one and others which are more unambiguously abusive make sense when you view them in this light.

Regarding the woman having drugs in her system and the rest, it would be relevant if it had some bearing on his decision to use the taser on her, and I can't imagine what that would be. To me it sounds punitive- she stepped out of line, so she deserves what she gets. Surely we can do better than that.

Disclaimer: In my assessment of law enforcement, I am obviously generalizing. I've met cops I thought were nice and responsible. You may think my generalization is faulty, I think it is apt.

I'm always willing to jump all over some power-tripping fascist cop with an itchy trigger/taser finger... but not in this case.

The taser wasn't the appropriate choice in this situation. However, I don't think it was a completely unreasonable choice--and if he'd tackled her, the result may have been the same regardless. Ultimately, she brought this on herself.

gof22:

bloodmage2:

That is a bit of a generalization isn't it? Because one cop makes a mistake that makes all cops untrustworthy? What about the cops that do great things and help people in time of need? Should they be considered untrustworthy as well because of another cop's mistake?

yes, because one who willingly becomes a blind pawn of the state is one of sound mind. yes, that makes complete sense. also, the second you give a person power their first instinct is to abuse it, so now you have legions of those who are insane enough to become pawns of a corrupt system with power and license to murder as well as carry a tool used only for murder.

no, you're right, there is nothing to be afraid of.

bloodmage2:

gof22:

bloodmage2:

yes, because one who willingly becomes a blind pawn of the state is one of sound mind. yes, that makes complete sense. also, the second you give a person power their first instinct is to abuse it, so now you have legions of those who are insane enough to become pawns of a corrupt system with power and license to murder as well as carry a tool used only for murder.

I never said there was nothing to be afraid of. I just don't agree that all cops are corrupt. I agree there are some corrupt cops but not all of them are corrupt.

I have a question for you. If you were in need of help and a cop offered to help you would you turn away his/her help?

Both parties are at fault here. The girl is an idiot for running(and doing something stupid to get arrested in the first place), the cop is an asshole for using the taser when she was in arms reach. The cop should be punished harshly and fired for what he did, but he won't be.

World keeps spinning.

gof22:

bloodmage2:

gof22:

I never said there was nothing to be afraid of. I just don't agree that all cops are corrupt. I agree there are some corrupt cops but not all of them are corrupt.

I have a question for you. If you were in need of help and a cop offered to help you would you turn away his/her help?

turn away? no, better to gamble with success than to fail inevitably, if you are in need of the help of the police, you are already at close to rock bottom with a few exceptions, there is not much else to loose.

bloodmage2:

Guy robs a bank, ergo, all humans are bad.

Eri:

bloodmage2:

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder how many people in this thread own a Rage Against The Machine poster and a Che Guevara t-shirt. There's at least one white kid with dreadlocks anyway, guaranteed.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

i got 99 problems but a twitchy bitch aint one!

dont run from the cops bitch and you wont end up in a comma and wake up to a court hearing for trying to resist arrest.

Spot1990:

Eri:

bloodmage2:

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder how many people in this thread own a Rage Against The Machine poster and a Che Guevara t-shirt. There's at least one white kid with dreadlocks anyway, guaranteed.

Hey I'm pretty normal and I happen to like RATM

:P

Aris Khandr:
I can't really feel too bad for her. It takes a special kind of stupid to run from the police AFTER you're already handcuffed. And it really isn't their job to run you down if you run. If I had the tool to stop you from running right now, rather than continuing to chase you for however long, I'd do it too.

It isn't a police officers job to catch people that are running? Police have been catching criminals for decades without tasers, and people respected them for it. Once tasers became part of their armament, so many of them have just become fat, lazy slobs who rely on it for every single thing that happens. They don't have jobs anymore, they have tasers.

As for having the tool to stop someone immediately, rather than burning some donuts and chasing, that also applies to their handguns. Why chase them when you can fire a bullet into the back of their head for significantly less effort? Money wouldn't even have to be spent on incarceration.

GrandmaFunk:
fat cop too lazy to bother running after a tiny girl more than 20 feet.

way to go, hero.

First reply sums it up for me.

From that 50sec video it's clear a teaser was not needed, it's lazy policing and the way he dealt with it was unprofessional. Sometimes it's no wonder why people have no respect for the police.

Pyro Paul:

Arkaniack:
Now think - 45 kg woman vs 117kg fatty. What if he chased her, grabbed her hand and stopped? Worst case - twisted arm, bruised knee.

She would of twisted her torso, broken free from his grip and escape custody.

Seriously, have you ever tried simply 'Grabbing' some one that is running away from you? It doesn't work. The human hand isn't designed to work that way.

Saying 'just grab her' is an idiotic statement and just shows how little you know about the subject at hand.

/facepalm
Have you ever tried to grab someone running away from you? I see that you didn't. I have grabbed and was grabbed while on run in quite few different ways(It's called growing up without video games). You can't just twist your torso to break free when you are grabbed above your elbow while RUNNING. Add that she was handcuffed. Explanation - in grab weakest point is thumb. Grab her left arm above elbow with your right hand. Are you saying your hand will slip because it's hard to hold on something round and fat? Have you seen woman that weights 45kg? SKINNY. That huge cop would have gotten perfect grip on her hand. BUT! If his hand would have slipped somehow and he released her - she would not have escaped custody - she would have fallen on ground (My guess she would have gotten less injuries from such fall because - well tazer kinda paralyses you muscles for a second and you cant prepare for a fall. On the other hand she was on drugs.).

"idiotic statement" I just like when someone knows that he/she/it have no knowledge on subject and goes straight for insults. Are you american by any chance?

FamoFunk:

GrandmaFunk:
fat cop too lazy to bother running after a tiny girl more than 20 feet.

way to go, hero.

First reply sums it up for me.

From that 50sec video it's clear a teaser was not needed, it's lazy policing and the way he dealt with it was unprofessional. Sometimes it's no wonder why people have no respect for the police.

Except for the part where she was outrunning him, very clearly, and heading for a busy interstate...

Whatever. Anything to hate the cops, I guess.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked