Need new music.

Pages PREV 1 2

Mama's Pride, the best blues band you've never heard of out of St. Louis, MO.

Andy McKee does some amazing acoustic guitar two handed tapping.

Michael Franks for some smooth, sexy jazz. This is music to get laid to.

Joe Satriani is great for instrumental guitar rock wankery

MC Frontalot flowin some Nerdcore rap at it's finest.

Riot's album Thundersteel is metal to game to...I love it for D&D, Warhammer40k, or I guess with one of these new fangled vidya games.

A group called 2nu does some great storytelling set to music.

I love all kinds of music...I could post for hours, but this is a good start.

Freezy_Breezy:

Kenbo Slice:
Listen to this, I guarantee that you'll like it :D

Why would you make guarantees like that with boring music that sounds like the singer is a 13 year old with his balls in a in between two bricks?

Well I was guaranteeing it to the OP, not anyone else. His voice is a little nasally, but it's not high pitched, and it's not even that bad. That sucks that you find it boring, but I find it enjoyable.

I guess you're not really into pop-rock bands, and this song is way different than their usual sound.

Oh and try not to be so rude next time, plus I don't quite understand what compelled you to criticize the song I posted, the thread is for recommending music to the OP not to criticize what people post, I suggest if you want to do that, go to the few "Rate the song above you" threads.

Enjoy!

That One Six:

rcs619:
Ayreon (A progressive-rock/metal kind of band. Individual singers represent different characters and their albums each have an overarching story. Many of their albums also connect to one another in some way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_z4LTWvpOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsA7sowKO5E

Star One (A side-project of the man behind Ayreon. Star One makes songs based on famous sci-fi movies and television shows. Everything from Star Wars, to Dune, to 2001 and more)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVInYWs8ZU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRYt_YusG3E

Sci-fi metal space-operas? Oh hell yes. Good metal never died, it just up and moved to Europe.

I'm glad someone else likes Arjen Lucassen! But you should have linked up some Human Equation and Electric Castle for Ayreon... =P My girlfriend just got me the Timeline compilation album, signed by Arjen no less, for Valentine's Day.

So many choices D: If I wanted to start putting up all my favorite songs from them, the entire post would have just been Ayreon, lol.

For the record, The Human Equation is my favorite Ayreon album ^^

Iron Savior's storytelling isn't quite as polished, but I think their music makes up for it in intensity. "Thunderbird" gets me so pumped.

Only just discovered these guys the other day, and this is the second time I've used this video today.

rcs619:

That One Six:

rcs619:
Ayreon (A progressive-rock/metal kind of band. Individual singers represent different characters and their albums each have an overarching story. Many of their albums also connect to one another in some way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_z4LTWvpOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsA7sowKO5E

Star One (A side-project of the man behind Ayreon. Star One makes songs based on famous sci-fi movies and television shows. Everything from Star Wars, to Dune, to 2001 and more)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVInYWs8ZU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRYt_YusG3E

Sci-fi metal space-operas? Oh hell yes. Good metal never died, it just up and moved to Europe.

I'm glad someone else likes Arjen Lucassen! But you should have linked up some Human Equation and Electric Castle for Ayreon... =P My girlfriend just got me the Timeline compilation album, signed by Arjen no less, for Valentine's Day.

So many choices D: If I wanted to start putting up all my favorite songs from them, the entire post would have just been Ayreon, lol.

For the record, The Human Equation is my favorite Ayreon album ^^

Iron Savior's storytelling isn't quite as polished, but I think their music makes up for it in intensity. "Thunderbird" gets me so pumped.

Human Equation is amazing. Arjen is releasing a solo album in a couple months, if you didn't know. Rutger Hauer is narrating it.

I have two threads that you can go through for some music. I would also highly recommend that anyone posting a video directly onto this thread put it into the spoiler tag. That said, here are a couple of extra songs for you to also enjoy.

Kenbo Slice:
Well I was guaranteeing it to the OP, not anyone else. His voice is a little nasally, but it's not high pitched, and it's not even that bad. That sucks that you find it boring, but I find it enjoyable.

I guess you're not really into pop-rock bands, and this song is way different than their usual sound.

Oh and try not to be so rude next time, plus I don't quite understand what compelled you to criticize the song I posted, the thread is for recommending music to the OP not to criticize what people post, I suggest if you want to do that, go to the few "Rate the song above you" threads.

Actually I was trying to make a point about subjectivity and the pointlessness of guarantees in the realm of art but I forgot to hit pause on the song while I was writing and became resentful towards it so it came out a little harsh.

Two words: Bastion Soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDWzu5yxLg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL9D0DDCC5DA35F5BB

If you haven't heard this game's amazing music, then why haven't you bought the game yet? no, seriously, go buy the game right now if you've never played it. Regardless, the music is nothing short of amazing, and i highly recommend it (and for Pete's sake don't pirate indie games, or indie anything. It just hurts everything.)

Link is a playlist of it.

That One Six:

Human Equation is amazing. Arjen is releasing a solo album in a couple months, if you didn't know. Rutger Hauer is narrating it.

I was about to ask how that would work, but then I remembered that Arjen can play like eleven different instruments. The guy ain't human. I think he's some kind of dutch musical experiment gone rogue =P

Definitely going to have to look that up though. Can't go wrong with anything involving Arjen Lucassen.

rcs619:

That One Six:

I was about to ask how that would work, but then I remembered that Arjen can play like eleven different instruments. The guy ain't human. I think he's some kind of dutch musical experiment gone rogue =P

Definitely going to have to look that up though. Can't go wrong with anything involving Arjen Lucassen.

Here's a sampling of the music, as well as the album title and cover art.

Tiger Sora:
Song: Discord.
By Super Ponybeat (Eurobeat)
Eurobeat/techno/dance/house/trance/rock/dubstep/polka/Pony.
Internet music artist.

There, fixed the genres for you. Yes, that song is amalgamation of all those genres (I even left some out). Just as Discord would've wanted.

217not237:

That's actually... kinda awesome!

Here, have a remix.

That one has a more techno-ish feel to it.

I gotta drop some Voltaire in here.

That's just a few of the many great songs of Voltaire.

ugh, you people keep forgetting Blind Guardian. I'll also throw in some other fun stuff.

triggrhappy94:

Nyaoku:
I kind of like the stuff by Gorillaz.
Feel Good inc.
DARE
Clint Eastwood
Just to name a few.

November Has Come and Rock the House are some of my favorite song by them
mostly because of the line, "It's awfully groovy seeing all the treasure and the booty."
Makes me laugh every time.

For me, it's Superfast Jellyfish. That song cracks me up

But if you want a great band that not many people have actually listened to beyond one song (Ultimate Showdown) then try Lemon Demon, particularly View-Monster. Well written, funny, extremely catchy, plus it's like 23 songs. Here's one of my favorites

And believe me, this isn't a typical song of theirs. Every single one is wildly different

Rhapsody of Fire. You can't get any more epic with fantasy symphonic metal.

I love my indie/folk stuff, check out
Mumford and Sons
Frank Turner
The Decemberists
Okkervil River

personaitor:
Two words: Bastion Soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDWzu5yxLg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL9D0DDCC5DA35F5BB

If you haven't heard this game's amazing music, then why haven't you bought the game yet? no, seriously, go buy the game right now if you've never played it. Regardless, the music is nothing short of amazing, and i highly recommend it (and for Pete's sake don't pirate indie games, or indie anything. It just hurts everything.)

Link is a playlist of it.

hmmmm well Im sure it will be some fluffy orchastral peice or somthing...

*listens to song*

holy shit that was BADASS! I would buy the game but its not availible on PSN :(

Damn... I got to say, I wasn't expecting this many responses! =0
Thanks to you all. I'll try to take my time and eventually listen to all of them.

Also, please keep the suggestions coming if you have any, I'll use this thread as my "new music to listen to" -library.

First off, if you haven't listened to Radiohead, Muse, Led Zeppelin or the Beatles seriously yet, do so. Those are my favorite bands.

And for my unknown band I'll go with Movits, a Swedish rap group. Saw them on the Colbert Report a few years ago and have been following them since. They are seriously awesome. I wish I knew Swedish just to listen to these guys.

EDIT: Also, King's X

Apparently I get all my music from Comedy Central news anchors.

Another edit:

I've recently been introduced to the band Equilibrium. In my opinion their album Sagas is one of the greatest albums of the last decade. Here are two of my favorites from it; "Wurzelbert" and "Mana".

The friend who introduced me to this band wants "Mana" played at his funeral.

And here's another piece of music I've been listening to a lot, "Chambermaid Swing" by Parov Stelar.

EDIT: Two more. My favorite Zeppelin song, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".

Also this song, which has been on every playlist of mine since I heard it playing at the end of an episode of Sons of Anarchy.

What follows are a list of sick-awesome bands and artists-

Primordial
Hammers of Misfortune
Turisas
Behemoth
Corsair
The Protomen
The World Inferno/Friendship Society
Ghost
The Devil's Blood
Darkest Era
Blood Ceremony
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
Roky Erikson
Amanda Palmer
The Dresden Dolls
Comus
Shearwater
Okkervil River
Watain

And that's all for now!

I have noticed that a whole lot of people are posting individual songs or bands. What I would say, if you want to just find new stuff you might be interested in, is to go to somafm.com and listen to some of their stations. There are quite a few different online radio stations through that site ranging from electronica to indie to country to... well... quite a bit. I've been listening to the 480 minutes station for a while, and have heard a lot of music I didn't ever hear before and some I rather like.

All free (they run off of donations) so go check it out. somafm.com

Vault101:

Lear'sFool:

Feel like you need some electronic music? Always listen to Daft Punk. They are the only truly great band group... thing in that genre.

uhhhh...

excuse me?

Glitch Mob

also them remixing some daft punk

The only good remixes of Daft Punk's music are the ones made by Daft Punk (see: Alive 2007), full stop.

My favorite music is typically 80s punk/alternative type music or the louder corners of today's indie scene. Here are some of my favorite albums from these general categories

Minutemen- Double Nickels on the Dime
Jane's Addiction- Nothing's Shocking
Japandroids- Post Nothing
Marnie Stern- Marnie Stern
Nick Cave- Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus

If you like rap or R&B or stuff like that, Das Racist and The Weeknd have some very good mixtapes available for free

Here's some really excellent metal musical choices, what I consider the gems of my musical archive. In descending order of amazing/what got the most emotional response out of me:

#10: Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge. It's epic Scottish pirate metal. It surprised the shit out of me and made me laugh on more than one occasion. Favorite Track: Nancy the Tavern Wench.

#9: Alestorm - Black Sails at Midnight. I include this album because it covers a much greater range than the first album. Favorite Track: Keelhaul

#8: ReVamp - ReVamp. When the band After Forever broke up, the lead singer went on to form an excellent new spiritual successor, and their first album has some awesome guest singers to back up a solid lineup. Favorite Track: Sweet Curse (which features the vocals of Symphony X's Russell Allen.)

#7: Allen Lande - The Showdown. Combines the vocal skills of two amazing artists, Russell Allen and Jorn Lande, in an interesting little "showdown" of two excellent singers. Favorite Track: Showdown.

#6: Celldweller - Celldweller. Okay, this isn't strictly metal, it's more industrial, but bear with me. Much of what I've already posted has excellent talent combined with a storytelling sensibility, which comes across nicely in this album. Favorite Track: The Last Firstborn.

#5: Lunatica - The Edge of Infinity. That sounds like the name of a JRPG, doesn't it? It's another female lead metal band, but not so operatic as many tend to be. Whimsical, fantastical, and engaging, but not really overdone. Favorite Track: Together.

#4: Edenbridge - My Earthdream. This tends to be one of the bands I listen to the most. They are very easy on the ears, very pleasant and energetic. This is my first contact with them, and I would recommend it for anyone who would like some very special, original music in their library. Favorite Track: Undying Devotion.

#3: Arjen A. Luccasen's Star One - Space Metal. Do you like sci-fi movies? Why not have an album dedicated to some of the most popular sci-fi movies ever? An ensemble cast, excellent writing and operatic technique make this super awesome if a bit hard to find: Favorite Track: The Eye of Ra.

#2: Rhapsody (of Fire) - All of the Emerald Sword Saga. "Legendary Tales," Symphony of Enchanted Lands," "Dawn of Victory," "Rain of a Thousand Flames," and "Power of the Dragonflame" are all albums in this series. Epic Fantasy Metal that revives the bardic tradition of storytelling in music. My all-time favorite band. Favorite Track: Emerald Sword.

#1: ARK - Burn the Sun. This is Jorn Lande at his best, possibly outside his collaborations with Arjen Luccasen. The composition, the timing, the performance, and the lyrics all come together to bring vivid imagery to life through some truly elegant pieces of metal mastery. Another difficult find, but for this unique jewel forgotten by time, it's worth the search. Sadly, this is all that remains of the band, they split up to go on to other projects. Jorn himself is all over the goddamn place. Favorite Track: Heal the Waters.

Want some more? Just ask, I've got plenty where that came from.

Mr.Tea:

Vault101:

Lear'sFool:

Feel like you need some electronic music? Always listen to Daft Punk. They are the only truly great band group... thing in that genre.

uhhhh...

excuse me?

Glitch Mob

also them remixing some daft punk

The only good remixes of Daft Punk's music are the ones made by Daft Punk (see: Alive 2007), full stop.

I dont know, Tron lagacy: reconfigured was pretty good

Vuljatar:
I've recently been introduced to the band Equilibrium. In my opinion their album Sagas is one of the greatest albums of the last decade. Here are two of my favorites from it; "Wurzelbert" and "Mana".

The friend who introduced me to this band wants "Mana" played at his funeral.

Also this song, which has been on every playlist of mine since I heard it playing at the end of an episode of Sons of Anarchy.

I dont mind Equilibrium, what would you call it? "symphonic folk metal"?

their song "Blut im auge" (Im probably spelling that completly wrong) has the rare honour of the only metal song with screaming that I actually like, and of coarse I also have Mana in all its epic enitiraty

Vault101:
I dont mind Equilibrium, what would you call it? "symphonic folk metal"?

That works. It is sort of hard to define.

their song "Blut im auge" (Im probably spelling that completly wrong) has the rare honour of the only metal song with screaming that I actually like, and of coarse I also have Mana in all its epic enitiraty

You actually spelled it right, against all odds. :P

I'm the same way, I generally don't like the death metal-style vocals, but I totally dig it in almost every song on that album (Verrat is the only one I don't really like).

Some new music you say? You need some Lil' B.

SWAG

SWAG

Thank you BasedGod

Well I usually always post same bands in these threads.

And I'm tired of copying spoiler tags so I'll stop here :)

Ignatz_Zwakh:

Amanda Palmer
The Dresden Dolls

Alright just one more

EDIT: Added spoiler, changed a few songs. Deciding is hard.

Mydogisblue:
Some new music you say? You need some Lil' B.

SWAG

Thank you BasedGod

If only there was in instrumental version of that...the rappings not doing much for me..but GOD that production :P

As I always say, Skindred. In particular:

Pressure
Nobody
Tears
Stand for something
Warning

And celldweller's ursa minor electron mix, just for variety.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked