Being Fat isn't Bad

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Being Chubby is fine. It's not that unhealthy if you have a little extra fat on you and for some people it may make them appear better looking. So yea I'm fine with people not being thin for whatever reason.

I start to have a problem with fat people when they actually have to do something. If they're just gonna sit on the arse all day and are happy about their weight then there's not much I can add because they can do what they want. What I have a problem with, is when fat people are in physical jobs such as the Police. This is a problem because it hinders' their work and we've all seen that fat cop going for doughnuts or the fireman who had too many twinkies. Hell the paramedic that helped me when I broke my leg needed a damn step to get in his ambulance.

Obese and morbidly obese people just take the piss. Anorexia and fat people I can put down to stupidity but we have to change our lives to make their's easier. Fuck those people who need to use a scooter to get around and make me get out of their way, just because you want to end your life quicker doesn't mean I have to suffer to. (Sorry bit angry about this because earlier a obese women in a scooter ran over my foot and told me too get out her fucking way)

Obviously if you suffer from a medical condition that has made you fat, other than being 'bigged boned' or one caused by being fat then disreguard this as it's not your fault and you shouldn't be made to feel bad.

dogstile:
You know what would greatly help this thread?

Define fat. Seriously, some people are going to see huge people who take up three cinema seats by themselves while other people will think anything above 12 stone (UK) is giant.

For me, heavy is overweight. Fat is obese (as in morbidly obese). Then again I'm normally hesitant to throw around the word fat, it's just not a pleasant word, I tend to stick to 'heavy'. Even though it's not much better.

Actual weight is a silly measure due to height. 12 stone would make a girl who was 4 foot obese but would make a girl around 6 foot look pretty much normal.

SarcasmoPope:
I hate when people get fat because they eat too much. That hatred is further intensified when they blame anything other than overeating.

Why would you hate someone for eating too much? That seems pretty irrational.
I can understand not liking when people try to put the blame on something other than their own lack of will-power but hatred is a strong term.

I have seen people so morbidly obese that they cannot walk - they require an electric cart to get around the Kroger's I work at.

THAT is a very serious problem and needs to be addressed. A lot of the people you mentioned I never even qualified as fat, they were big sure but not big enough for me to think of them as 'fat'.

By the time i define anyone as fat, their doctor is probably begging them to jog.

Being fat, (I am not talking slightly overweight), presents health risks, puts strain on your heart and vital organs, makes it harder for doctors to care for you, and in fact shortens your life. By virtue of that sole argument, there is something wrong with being fat, and you can't say there isn't without addressing it the way you have gone and done.

In addition it makes you physically less appealing to the opposite sex (depending on the culture of course), and makes it less likely that you will pass on your genetic material WHICH IS THE SOLE POINT OF FUCKING EXISTENCE!

There, those are two things wrong with being fat, and the both affect the subject's life in the most profound ways possible. Im sorry but I consider your argument invalid.

Caramel Frappe:

- Martin Luther King JR.

What?! Martin Luther King Jr was not fat. Husky and overweight, maybe, but not fat.

Caramel Frappe:

- Fattie Arbuckle

You know, its not a very good idea to use a man whose career was ruined by a possible rape and homicide charge as a role model for obese people.

Caramel Frappe:

- Rosie Odonnel

Given how she acts in the public eye and how bloody annoying she is, I'm gonna have to say this isn't a good role model either.

Caramel Frappe:

- Oprah

Oprah wasn't fat when she became famous. Just look up a picture of her first national broadcast and see for yourself. She became fat after letting herself go.

Caramel Frappe:

- Senator Ted Kennedy

Ol' Ted also wasn't fat when he first came into office, he's also been widely known to have killed his assistant due to reckless driving however. Once again, not a role model.

Caramel Frappe:

- Dr. John

Like Martin Luther King Jr., I wouldn't call John fat. I'd call him husky, same thing with Tom Arnold, husky not fat.

Caramel Frappe:

- Santa Claus (He's mostly known all around the world.. even though he's fictional, many people adore him especially kids due to his legacy of giving joy and gifts to all and the Christmas spirit despite being fat.)

Fictional, not fat. And even then, no, Santa Claus was not originally fat. The fat came from a combination of different folklore with Saint Nicholas, who, if you've ever seen an image of him, was not fat, but rather skinny.

Caramel Frappe:

- George Lucas

George Lucas was not fat when he became famous for the Star Wars franchise.

I understand that you're trying to give the idea that 'Hey, just because you're fat doesn't mean you can't be successful!'

Of which I have to say 'Ya, but you have a better chance of being successful if you're skinny, you have higher self-esteem, fewer health problems, fewer bills and you're generally considered more attractive. Why the fuck would you ever choose to be fat?'

Encouraging fat people to be fat is like encouraging a alcoholic to be drink. It doesn't help them, it hurts them and your message is counter productive to them.

Also, if that picture in your profile is you, you're not fat. You don't know what its like to be fat. Tell ya, what don't you gain 60 pounds and tell me how it feels and see how you're opinion changes.

Daystar Clarion:
Well that's the most patronising thing I've read in a long time, so congrats for that.

Being fat doesn't make someone less of a person, it makes them more of a person.

Oh snap!

Crackle and pop. Here's your rice krispie treat!

Vault101:

it pisses me off because on top of EVERYTHING women deal with...we can now feel insecure about our privates! (I mean for fuck sake)

I see what you did there.

I usually don't judge people by their appearance, and being fat isn't such a big deal after all. Actually I prefer fatties more than skinny women. Myself I have 10 kg of extra weight, and I want to lose them, for health reasons, practical reasons -can't wear anymore old clothes and have to buy new ones larger), and for aesthetic reasons- I like myself better as I was before with no belly. But it's not the end of the world even if I don't manage to lose weight.

As someone who has lost 71lbs and still losing (personal weight loss goal 100lbs! Yay!), I can tell you that 'health' is the most important thing when talking about your body, and the key to health is moderation.

I get into the, "But having fat is healthier!" argument with excessively fat (I am talking FAT, not just chubby) people all the time. Medically, yes, there isn't anything wrong with having a few extra pounds on your frame. Having 5 to 10 extra pounds is supposed to be the ideal. Having the right amount of fat on your body can help against sickness and lead to a longer-life (with eating well and daily activity), HOWEVER, that doesn't mean if you tack on another 100lbs; you'll be invincible. I think another reason people treat excessively fat people negatively, is because a majority of the time, it's something that can be changed with a bit of good ol' fashioned hard work. A lot of the typical illnesses that a fat person has, can be corrected and maintained through a healthier diet and daily exercise/activity, but they'd rather just pay for pills instead of doing the work to correct it - and that lack of drive and will-power is disgusting to some.

But back to health: It's not a coincidence that the long-term effects of living a healthier life-style are positive: weight loss, life longevity, and feeling 100% better. Seriously, my body feels way awesome and my confidence has sky-rocketed. I also have a much better attitude and a better outlook on life. I can go into a normal clothing store and shop. Sounds like a small thing, but to me - it isn't. My sex drive also increased and my spouse and I have better sex. <BAM. All I need to keep this shit going. WooooWOOO! COITUS!

I took up running last summer and I sped up my metabolism and lost some weight. That was at home, where there was a nice little public park about 5 minutes from my house to run at. It was usually vacant in the morning except for some old people and maybe a guy mowing the grass.

Then when I went back to college in the city, I expected the new recreational center the university was supposed to complete over two years ago to finally be done, as they'd said it would be last spring. Still not done, and now it looks like it will be completed by fall (which is what they've been saying for three years now, so I'm going to take that with a few grains of salt).

The problem is when I first started attending this university, there was exercise equipment for every residence hall. You could just go down there and work out at any time of the day, and I did that. Then as the rec center got closer to completion, they took all of the equipment away, saying we'd get all new stuff whenever it was complete. Then a lot of shit happened and now it's been a year and a half since they've taken it away and still no rec center. There is still workout equipment on campus, but it's in the physical ed buildings and there are classes all day in there and then it's locked up at the end of the day, including weekends. So that just leaves the sidewalks around campus and the track around the football field (and I could drive to parks, but gas prices are getting higher so I'm going to avoid that).

I am not going to be running anywhere near the incompetent fucks who drive motor vehicles on this campus (and the resident sex offenders, who all crowd this end of town) so the sidewalks are out of the question. With running track...well it's been too cold as of late, but now I guess I might be able to try and figure out the practice schedules of sports teams, which will be getting more busy here in the spring. And even then the track is looked out on by one of the busiest thoroughfares on campus, so I'll just have to suck it in and deal with being "that fat chick who's huffing and puffing all over the track" and hope those fraternity assholes don't decide to taunt me.

As a fatass who's suddenly and inexplicably become a gym freak and losing fat like gangbusters, I'd like to say that yes, being fat was really quite bad.

I have much more energy now, I enjoy the taste of healthy things more now, look MUCH better, feel better about myself, and am generally less of a burden to my public health care system. I'd never say that being fat was "not bad" by any stretch of imagination.

Caramel Frappe:

Question: How do you feel about people who are fat? If you're fat, are you ashamed at all and if you are does this Thread help you understand that you're awesome no matter what? Not trying to be a goody goody here but I too felt fat at one point. It wasn't until recently that I got my spirits going and I wanted to share with you all about what it really means to be fat.. which doesn't affect you rather then shaping you a bit physically but that's it!! Being to skinny or to fat is bad so between the middle or a 45 degree is good to settle with! But up to you really.

It has not, the thing is that I know I am overweight. I'm 100 lbs overweight and while I particularly carry my weight well, I'm still a fat slop. No it doesn't stop me from writing or drawing or gaming, but it does make it hard for people to take me seriously.

If your an employer and you see two people with the exact same skill-set, you'd probably higher the skinny one over the fat one, not because of skill, but because the skinny person probably has better self discipline.

Also...women don't take you serious if your fat. They just don't I've been told it to my face. So am I ashamed to be fat? Yes and No, on the one had I'm generally happy in who I am as a person, but I'm very self conscious about my looks.

Caramel Frappe:

We as humans are meant to have fat on us no matter how much we want or will work out trying to gain muscle. Lipids are what I call fat-soluble vitamins for your body, you actually need them in order to function right besides your organs, other cells, ect. See, people think that burning all their fat will make their lives better or feel better about themselves. Yeah being fit is good but overdoing it or constantly burning off all your fat is just as unhealthy as gaining more lipids then usual.

Do some research before you post. There are actual fat-soluble vitamins; Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, etc. They are distinctly defined from water-soluble vitamins like Vitamin C, and easily identified because manufacturers of multivitamins place severe limits on them most of the time.

While your body DOES require a minimum amount of fat in order to function (this is in addition to that required for brain and oligodendrocytes/schwann cells), it's NOWHERE NEAR the amount overweight people have. How much fat your organs require at any given moment is very, very miniscule. That's why bodybuilders can get away with <15% bodyfat. If their organs required the fat, they would go into organ failure.

As long as your Calories In >= Calories Out, you're fine.

TL;DR - Being fat isn't really bad at all.. yes there are health risks but the primary issue is what people make of you. Just because you're fat or have a big stomach doesn't make it where you lose skills, talents or motives. If you love doing art, being fat doesn't make you suck at art, nor does it stop you from doing what you love. Also everyone finds love, just time is all it takes to find the person.

No, I'm going to say the primary issue is the enormous amount of health risk by being fat. Diabetes, hearth issues, asthma, apnea, joint issues - by being significantly overweight you are not merely increasing your chances of some sort of major health issue, it's practically a guarantee at some point.

Question: How do you feel about people who are fat? If you're fat, are you ashamed at all and if you are does this Thread help you understand that you're awesome no matter what? Not trying to be a goody goody here but I too felt fat at one point. It wasn't until recently that I got my spirits going and I wanted to share with you all about what it really means to be fat.. which doesn't affect you rather then shaping you a bit physically but that's it!! Being to skinny or to fat is bad so between the middle or a 45 degree is good to settle with! But up to you really.

My maximum weight was 250lbs at 6'5". I lost 60lbs. ten years ago (my lowest has been 180lbs but I hover in the 190's when not on a workout schedule) and have kept it off ever since. I find myself more attractive, my confidence and self-esteem have gone through the roof, my mood has improved and swings much less, I enjoy exercising, I don't physically feel bloated or "grumply" all the time, and I can conclusively say that losing the weight has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. Ever.

If you are happy and (Doctor-approved) healthy being fat, kudos to you. That is great. Most people are not healthy while significantly overweight, and I can include myself in that.

I think it depends just how overweight you are. To a certain point, you can blame it on genetics, or maybe your job that doesn't allow you much time to be physically active, but after a certain point it's either because you're unjustifiably lazy or you enjoy food way too much.

I'm not saying it makes you a bad person, it just means that you are living a very unhealthy lifestyle.

First off, fats are lipids and lipids are fats, so describing a lipid as "fat soluble" is a bit silly.

"fats are a subgroup of lipids called triglycerides" - Wikipedia

But I think that being fat is a problem, it's better (healthier) to be thin and the social stigma associated with being fat makes it even worse.

C2Ultima:
/snip

Haha, don't look at this thread then; Starving Kids in Africa

On topic a bit more, depends how you define "fat". A large chunk of people are somewhat overweight and I have absolutely no issue with that at all, neither do I find it unattractive for the most part. The extremes where you have 30-stone massively obese people need addressing, but there are usually underlying psychological problems that run alongside.

My body is very much ectomorphic so I find it hard to put on weight, although in recent years I have managed (guess I'm getting old!). :)

Obesity is an epidemic, its not something to be proud of or accepted. I challenge anyone to look at pictures of daily life in the US 40 or 50 years ago and tell me how many fat people you see. I'm not saying that addressing this problem will be easy, it most certainly will not. Many overweight people have underlying psychological issues or even physiological issues that are causing the problem. Some people are just gluttons, and need to be cut off from their source of food. McDonalds, most likely. God, I despise that place.

All that said, being skinny is ugly. Women should have some curves, if you ask me.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this thread.

None of your post made sense from an "reasoned argument" standpoint, it is infested with straw men, terrible logic, emotional manipulation, idle speculation and just copious amounts of crap. Colour me unsurprised you're a member of the "My Little Pony" crowd, It would take a brony to spout a childishly naive, over-simplified, wishy-washy "Nothing is bad, everything is good" philosophy.

Being fat is bad. It is physically detrimental to your health, it is aesthetically gross and it goes some way to saying something about the character of the fat person - They're either lazy, lack self-control, lack self-respect or have swallowed the same crap as the OP where they've accepted something that is demonstrably bad as being perfectly fine. Hell I've seen that on this website where a girl wouldn't go out with a guy because she didn't find him physically attractive and the fat guy in question felt entitled to HER changing her attitude, rather than him getting in shape.

And I'm not talking about "a little thicker around the edges" here, nor am I talking about "Built" people (there is quite a large difference between someone whose weight is 50% muscle and 5% muscle), Lets get one thing straight before I get jumped for "thinking everyone should be size zero", Nor am I saying that fat people "aren't people" or anything like that.

I don't think it's wrong to "Make pariahs" out of people who are fat for the same reason that I don't think it's wrong to make pariahs out of people who don't wash - There are only negatives for being in that state, there are only positives for not being in that state. Fuck, Not washing and being unhealthy/overweight are pretty god-damn comparable the more I think about it.

Spending quite a considerable amount of time on the internet; insulting someone over their size is basically the calling card of someone lacking the cognitive function to actually conjure a rebuttal of some modicum of fucking pertinence. As insipid as I found Jennifer Hepler's suggestion of removing the fucking game aspect of a fucking game from a fucking game, the vitriolic backlash that followed put it to shame and then some. I really don't know why there's this trope of calling someone fat in lieu of actually adressing an issue brought up, it says nothing about the person in question, it holds no significence to what is being discussed, it's a pretty fucking weak and homogenous insult and it only serves to make you look immature. Now being fat isn't particularly healthy sure, but the vast majority of people including skinny people in western nations harldy live healthy lifestyles. So...bleh.

Caramel Frappe:

Being fat is usually a sign of an underlying problem. Either a dietary problem (improper nutrition), a genetic/systemic problem (thyroid disease, metabolism issues), or a habitual problem (sedentary lifestyle). It is a symptom, not a condition. Does being fat make you stupid? No. Does being fat make you evil? No. But almost without exception it is a sign that there is something going on with you physically that needs to be addressed, if you want to maintain a decent quality of life. Or just life in general.

I don't understand why someone would want to "feel good about themselves" in order to maintain an unhealthy condition. If I had cancer, I'd want to stop having cancer, not "feel good about myself" as a cancer victim. Eating salads, or getting some exercise, or having a talk with your doctor about any medical conditions you have that might be contributing to weight gain are a lot less time consuming, life altering and annoying than type 2 diabetes, or heart disease, or any of the other delightful complications that can arise from the conditions that lead to obesity.

It's not that I want people who are fat to feel bad, or ugly, or unloved, but I don't want them to feel good, either. I want them to recognize that there is something going on with them that needs to be addressed, and I want them to feel motivated to address it.

RagTagBand:
Fuck, Not washing and being unhealthy/overweight are pretty god-damn comparable the more I think about it.

Now THAT might be a little harsh. Although I do agree with most of your points.(especially the part about not being surprised that the op is a pony fan) There is no upside to being overweight, but unlike bad hygiene, being fat is sometimes related to an underlying health issue. Not ALL the time, mind you. Also, correcting obesity is much more difficult than jumping in the shower.

While I think the original post is a load of tripe, I think that it would be detrimental to the goal of getting more people healthy to take the complete opposite stance.

To be honest this depends on what you define as "bad". I'm not going to rebuke a fat person on his or her weight, it's their choice to eat what they want and look as they wish, and it certainly doesn't make them a bad person. That said, there are several large disadvantages to being fat, it makes one less able to be active and carries large health risks, plus lets be brutally honest past a certain point it really isn't attractive. I can dig a bit of padding on a woman, size zero often looks silly, but become too large and sorry, it's just not my thing.

I do understand what it's like to find it difficult to lose weight though as somewhat ironically I'm the opposite, I'm very slender for my age and height despite eating more than my heavier friends. I can understand overweight people having problems losing those pounds if they find that as difficult as I find gaining them :-P

JoJo:
I do understand what it's like to find it difficult to lose weight though as somewhat ironically I'm the opposite, I'm very slender for my age and height despite eating more than my heavier friends. I can understand overweight people having problems losing those pounds if they find that as difficult as I find gaining them :-P

I'd be careful with that, if I were you. I was very similar straight through my mid 20's. Ate all I wanted, never gained a pound. Then one day my metabolism just said "You know what? Fuck you, guy", and it was like someone pulled the ripcord on an inflatable raft. And once you've developed those "I can eat anything I want, whee!" habits, they become very, very hard to break.

Long story short...your magical fat dodging skills will not last forever. Best to develop good nutritional and exercise habits young.

Being fat is unhealthy and there are substantial social and emotional drawbacks.

Convincing yourself otherwise is just delusion, and will prevent you doing something to improve yourself.

I say this as a fat person.

OmniscientOstrich:
Now being fat isn't particularly healthy sure, but the vast majority of people including skinny people in western nations harldy live healthy lifestyles. So...bleh.

Now that's where you're wrong. Figures of people being overweight are approaching or past the 50% mark in many countries, and especially in the US there is a veritable obesity epidemic going on. 33,8% of all Americans was obese in 2008, and 74,6% of all Americans was too fat.

That means that if you're not overweight in the US, you're part of a minority of one out of every four.

In 2000, twelve years ago, the yearly cost of obesity was already $61 billion in medical costs and $117 billion in lost productivity and income. To compare, that is 5% of the US federal budget for 2012. In 2008, those medical costs had already risen from 61 billion, to a staggering $ 147 billion.

BloatedGuppy:
I'd be careful with that, if I were you. I was very similar straight through my mid 20's. Ate all I wanted, never gained a pound. Then one day my metabolism just said "You know what? Fuck you, guy", and it was like someone pulled the ripcord on an inflatable raft. And once you've developed those "I can eat anything I want, whee!" habits, they become very, very hard to break.

Not at all. I had to eat like that to stay from being too light for a long time. Then not only did my metabolism slow down, but I also began competing in a sport with a weight limit, and one that requires you to mind your diet if you want to develop decent power.

All I did was ditch the one-chocolate-bar-a-day and take it easier with crisps, as well as replace many microwave meals (since I lived in a filthy student appartment with flatmates who never cleaned, so you couldn't cook there) with things I cooked myself. Nothing fancy, just cooked potatoes and vegetables and some meat, sometimes leaving one of those three out, in general it never took more than 15 minutes to prepare a meal. I went from 74 to 82 kilos in a little under half a year before I changed my diet, and afterwards it kept stable at 81-83, which is perfect for the 81,5 kilo weight limit.

Anyone who claims that's a difficult change is a big fat liar I'd say. Most of it is so easy because all you have to do, is not do something.

I'll just say that, regarding attractiveness, I would much prefer a girl with a little weight on her to a girl that is overly skinny.

That said, I'd prefer a dangerously skinny girl to a morbidly obese one, too, but for the "still within healthy range," I'd take weight over not, with only looks considered.

DRes82:

RagTagBand:
Fuck, Not washing and being unhealthy/overweight are pretty god-damn comparable the more I think about it.

Now THAT might be a little harsh. Although I do agree with most of your points. There is no upside to being overweight, but unlike bad hygiene, being fat is sometimes related to an underlying health issue. Not ALL the time, mind you. Also, correcting obesity is much more difficult than jumping in the shower.

While I think the original post is a load of tripe, I think that it would be detrimental to the goal of getting more people healthy to take the complete opposite stance.

Comparable =/= the same, I acknowledge there are differences but I believe that they are more similar than they are different. They're both issues of taking care of your body, both make you unappealing to one of your senses (smell, sight), both demonstrate a lack of self-respect, Both can be fixed by small changes to a persons daily routine, both can negatively effect your health. On terms of difficulty, I agree and don't agree at the same time...sort of. I agree with the observation that it's more difficult but I believe that solving both problems requires the same effort.

It is more difficult to lose weight because it requires continued effort for the effects to be noticeable. You can do 30 minutes on an exercise bike but you won't notice any immediate effect, but spending 30 minutes in the shower and your stinky problems are gone. BUT, your stinky problems can come back in a single day, whereas a thin person that doesn't exercise for a day won't suddenly gain 50 kilos. In other words, both require daily effort, it's just that one takes a while to both gain and get rid of, and the other is quick to gain and get rid of. I would find, and I imagine a lot of people would find, losing weight a whole lot easier if they could see the effects of their exercise without needing 6 months of no visible difference.

The actual effort involved is very similar.

And yes, there are medical conditions that exacerbate weight issues but in the grand scheme of things they are rare and the majority of overweight people have no such excuse.

In terms of approach, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I believe that an uncompromising, non-coddling, straight forward approach is the best.

Also, as a Disclaimer, I'm someone who, 12 months ago was classed as overweight. I am not anymore, but I've still got a way to go before I'll be where I want to be. Had I listened to the people I knew who said "Pfft you look fine!", who appealed to my innate, human laziness, I would still be overweight, i'd probably weigh even more.

RagTagBand:
And yes, there are medical conditions that exacerbate weight issues but in the grand scheme of things they are rare and the majority of overweight people have no such excuse.

It's not an excuse, but weight gain and poor nutrition tend to cause a HOST of systemic breakdowns that lead to more weight gain. It's a vicious downward spiral. And once your liver is overloaded and your arteries are clogged the effort involved in exercising rises exponentially. And usually you got there by eating shit food loaded with sugar and salts and fat, which you now have a physical/psychological addiction to.

I think people who are heavy, and most especially people who are obese, are a lot sicker than they realize. They've got diabetes and heart disease and god knows what else gestating inside them, and if they're not extremely sick now, they will be soon. And as fun as it can be to say "I'd rather be fat and happy than thin and miserable", once one's health blows up it's amazing how fast they'll rethink that statement.

I was never more than 20-30 pounds overweight at my worst, but my nutrition sucked, and I was sedentary, and it absolutely wreaked havoc on my body.

Being Fat makes you more of a person!....bad joke :P

GrimTuesday:
Well that was patronizing as fuck. As a fat person, I don't need someone who has no idea the sort of shit I put up with telling me that despite the fact that I'm fat, I can be successful in life, and love. I'm not some fucking pansy who needs people to tell me that I'm not shit. There is no doubt that people look at me differently due to my size, its just part of life and I'm not going to bitch about it. Being fat is not good, its unhealthy and leads to heart disease, and other potentially mortal ailments and it makes preventing these more difficult because its harder to exercise.

Aaaaaaaand thread over.

Blablahb:
Now that's where you're wrong. Figures of people being overweight are approaching or past the 50% mark in many countries, and especially in the US there is a veritable obesity epidemic going on. 33,8% of all Americans was obese in 2008, and 74,6% of all Americans was too fat.

That means that if you're not overweight in the US, you're part of a minority of one out of every four.

In 2000, twelve years ago, the yearly cost of obesity was already $61 billion in medical costs and $117 billion in lost productivity and income. To compare, that is 5% of the US federal budget for 2012. In 2008, those medical costs had already risen from 61 billion, to a staggering $ 147 billion.

Right, I'm still saying most people regardless of weight/fat live unhealthy lifestyles. I'm not saying it isn't an issue, just that it's a rather jejune retort to make in the context I'd specified (and other similar examples), when as you've illustrated the majority of people in the US (and other nations, I'm fairly sure the UK is one of them) are in fact overweight, it's an insult towards something so commonplace that it's effectively meaningless. And yeah, while it is genuine problem on a pretty big scale, I'm a little worried about some of the attitudes expressed in this thread; bordering on vindicating the abuse and derogatory and condescending remarks larger people get thrown their way. Perhaps that's an exaggeration, but there's definately a sense of smugness there. Sure it is an issue and it's okay to express concern for people, but they have to be the ones to choose what they do with their bodies and something so superficial as appearance doesn't make them any less of a person. (Feel free to exercise that bad pun if you wish, I already made another bad pun just there. :3)

Being fat is bad, it hurt's your body. And by fat I mean way above the average weight, 270 up for men can be very bad and over 200 for woman can be bad. It's un-healthy and if your are fat your body will give out quicker than if you weighed less.

On the other hand..

Being un-happy with your body is also very unhealthy. The stress of thinking you need to change can kill you just as fast as being overweight. And we can't forget the joys of bilema and other such metal issues.

Point being, be healthy and be happy. If you don't wanna exercise eat better, if you wanna eat exercise. If you think that your un-attractive due to a little weight well your wrong, we are all ugly.

You can be healthy and still be fat. However, fat people with health problems cost millions of tax payer's dollars every year.

Yes, we have to store body fat to survive. But that's not an excuse.

My train of thought?

Fat people only survive because we let them. You're not supposed to have an "Arnold Schwarzenegger 30 years ago"-type body, those culturist styles of body are only achieved by controlled starvation and de-hydration.

You're supposed to have a body that allows you to survive. Fat or skinny, doesn't matter. If you can't run from predators, you're dead. If you can't climb that hill to find food, you're dead.
Example:

EDIT:

- Rosie Odonnel

You mean that hypocrite woman who calls for gun control and says that the 2nd Amendment is not really a right, but she is protected by guards with Heckler & Koch select fire MP5Ks?

Marcus Kehoe:
Point being, be healthy and be happy. If you don't wanna exercise eat better, if you wanna eat exercise. If you think that your un-attractive due to a little weight well your wrong, we are all ugly.

Being healthy requires eating properly AND exercising. And by eating properly I don't just mean eating less, I mean eating vegetables and fruits and lean proteins and staying the fuck away from soda pop and processed foods and trans fats. You don't need to be 270 pounds to be experiencing a health/nutritional crisis. You can be 5 pounds overweight and be sick as a dog.

Again, being fat is not just a state that raises the likelihood that something might go wrong. It's a sign that something is already wrong.

iseko:
As always, moderation is the key. Yes you need fat but too much is bad. Everything is bad when you have/do to much of it. Even water becomes toxic for the human body when you have to much of it (and I am not talking about the obvious drowning bit).

Oxygen is toxic in high concentrations (I do NOT advice you to try this one out. Breathing in pure oxygen will earn you a trip to the hospital or the morgue).

But more on topic: I am a guy who doesn't like the borderline anorexic chicks. But I don't like fat girls either. Somewhere in between. If I may be as blunt as possible: A nice set of love handles so I have something to hold on tight too is perfect. Plus it usually means a nice ass and bigger tits. I may have been able to say this more civilized but I think this gets the point across way better.

And me myself. I try to stay in shape a little bit. What I think for a guy is 'perfect' is if he has muscles which are covered by a little bit of fat. You have the overall figure of man (not a balloon) but you don't have to be hard as a rock.

If it is healthy or not, well that is a bit more complex. You can be skinny and still be on the verge of having a heart attack. If you are skinny because you run 20 miles every day, you are probably destroying your knees and back.

Conlusion: like I said in the beginning -> moderation is the key.

Thats my two cents

Basically what I've been trying to phrase. I'm a big guy and just started trying to lose weight for the sake of my health. But I honestly have no intention of becoming the idealized body image that is put out in media. I'm simply going to drop to a weight where I feel healthy and look nice for my self.

krazykidd:
I find fat women incrediby attractive . So i am too biased to properly respond to this thread .

iseko:
If I may be as blunt as possible: A nice set of love handles so I have something to hold on tight too is perfect. Plus it usually means a nice ass and bigger tits. I may have been able to say this more civilized but I think this gets the point across way better.

I must also admit to agreeing with both of these statements.

GrimTuesday:
Well that was patronizing as fuck. As a fat person, I don't need someone who has no idea the sort of shit I put up with telling me that despite the fact that I'm fat, I can be successful in life, and love. I'm not some fucking pansy who needs people to tell me that I'm not shit. There is no doubt that people look at me differently due to my size, its just part of life and I'm not going to bitch about it. Being fat is not good, its unhealthy and leads to heart disease, and other potentially mortal ailments and it makes preventing these more difficult because its harder to exercise.

Right here about sums it up. I am not fat myself but even I was floored by the tone of the post.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked