Things you find woefully unfunny, but other people like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I see a lot of Big Bang Theory hate.

I still laugh at the show although it has seemed to have lost a lot of charm of the first season. I guess shows lowering quality combined with the increased popularity is involuntarily shoving it down the throats of those who never really enjoyed the first season all that much. Sorry, I guess. I still enjoy it though.

Meth/Pot - IT ISN'T FUNNY. YOU ARE NOT COOL. STOP FUCKING REFERENCING IT!

I didn't really dig Juno.

Hamburger phone. Pie Condoms. Ellen Page. Whatever.

Still not laughin.

GigaHz:
Just about any internet meme that has ever existed, ever.

Might be worth a laugh the first time, not so funny the 305th time.

This word for word

neonsword13-ops:
Most of tobuscus' stuff: Act crazy in front of camera; Get millions of views. (The literal trailers are good, though.)

Agreed, I like the literals and I like those songs he occasionally "makes" but that's about it

Overall though I've noticed that if someone tells me about something they find absolutely HILARIOUS or even just mildly funny, I rarely end up liking it. If I didn't find it on my own or think it was funny before someone told me about it (or forced me to watch/listen to it) then I'm not going to find it funny even if it I go back on my own and give it another chance. In fact I think the only thing my friends have told me about that I've liked as much as, if not more than, them is the Zero Punctuation segment here

Something else I actually find really really funny is "The Gentleman's Rant" on YouTube as well as their "Gentleman's Responses" and the two short films on their channel. I also enjoy Cracked.com a good amount depending on the article/author of the article

Almost anything Will Ferrel and especially him in Anchorman. Steve Carrel is the only one who is funny in that movie.

Zany slapstick that would be featured on shows like 'america's home videos' and toilet humor. I don't see how some guy falling on his behind is funny. Also when people act zany, I find it to be annoying (antics like Adam Sandler).

I should add stuff like 'git r done' is not a joke.

Most of Hollywood's stuff and romantic comedies aren't funny, but poorly written and rather insulting to both men and women.

I like well written witty humor like Retsuprae's let's plays of adventure games and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Also people struggling through insanely hard or absolutely abysmal games is funny, because I know what that experience is like.

wicket42:
I recently tried to find a good new TV show to watch. I decided to try 'How I Met Your Mother' after seeing all the praise N.P.H. gets for playing Barney.

That's when I decided to start this thread (and also to give up looking for something new and re-watch every episode of Louie). Is there anything out there that other people find hilarious, but totally fails to tickle your funny bone?

I'm not really looking to objectively argue that something is or is not funny, all these opinions are to be considered just that, opinions.

Anyway, my list would include:
-How I Met Your Mother
-The Big Bang Theory
-Spaceballs (even though I love Star Wars)
-the Scary Movie films

So what's out there that fails to make you laugh?

Conversely, seen anything out there recently that really succeeded in entertaining you?

I highly recommend Parks and Recreation for non-stop laughs, honestly that show has the best talent of any comedy show Ive ever seen.

Peep show is another gem.

On the other end of the spectrum, youve got 30 Rock (really, anything with TIna Fey is horrible). 30 rock is the definition of trying too hard

Practical jokes or pranks of any description are loathsome. This is especially true where any recording is going on, where the poor target of this "humour" is left to suffer or made to think they have lost something precious, or in a work environment.

Ice Azure:
-snip-

Arrow to the knee jokes used to be funny, but then they got repeated a million times.

Capitano Segnaposto:
Meth/Pot - IT ISN'T FUNNY. YOU ARE NOT COOL. STOP FUCKING REFERENCING IT!

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

EcoEclipse:
Comedy films.

Specifically, most comedies of the 21st century. Ever time I see a preview for a comedy, I can only think of how not very funny it looks.

I couldn't agree more. Like that remake of 21 Jump Sreet that's comming out...ugh.

Ben Stiller...

Sorry I don't find any of his movies funny
(then again the same can be said for Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn and Adam Sandler)

Big Bang Theory and Gavin & Stacy, at my old school everyone used to talk about it, I watched it and just couldn't get into it.

I really dont get all the hate for the big bang theory, I think it is one of the funniest tv shows for many years, although how I met your mother really is not funny at all.

There's a problem in here. Some things mentioned here are contendable and thus on topic, while others have NEVER been funny. Please, people, stick with the ones you hate that others DO like.

Family Guy. A teenage girl being repeatedly abused, mentally, physically and possibly sexually just isn't funny. And to say nothing of its treatment of transsexuals...

I hate The Guild. My ex fucking loved it but our apartment was a Guild-free zone without headphones. By extension, I do not care for anything that has Felicia Day in it, even though people seem to love her.

EcoEclipse:
Comedy films.

Specifically, most comedies of the 21st century. Ever time I see a preview for a comedy, I can only think of how not very funny it looks.

Agreed. I grew up on Comedy Central showings of old-school comedy movies, mostly from the 80's, so I guess I'm somewhat biased. There were a number of terrific movies up to '06 or so. After that, the really good, memorable comedy films became few and far between. Now, the jokes mostly just come across as weak, badly timed, sometimes in poor taste, and sometimes the entire premise of the movie is so flimsy and mediocre, it's just painful.

Reno 911.
I just can't see how in the nine hells that show went on as long as it did, and then got a movie. Someone, please correct if I'm wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure the show is all just a bunch of (sarcastic air-quote) cops (sarcastic air-quote) running around, generally acting so incompetent that any commander with an ounce of good sense would drop-kick their asses out of the force for good, and then see to it that the only jobs they CAN get are in the fast-food industry.

I like Family Guy. I like the rhythm of the jokes. The setup might take a while, but when the punchline hits, it tends to blind-side me. Sometimes the humor of a joke comes from the fact that it's drawn out for so long. Cool hwhip, anyone? I even like the cut-away jokes, because it allows the writers to get creative.
However, there was one cut-away gag that I absolutely haaaaaated. That being when Elmer Fudd shoots and kills Bugs Bunny, snaps his neck (just to be sure) and drags his bleeding body away. The whole time, Bugs is groaning, coughing and gasping in ungodly agony, and the neck-snap has an appropriately gruesome sound effect to go with it.
That's not comedy. That's snuff. Honestly, it wouldn't have taken very much to make the sketch less terrible - maybe a little angry, righteous taunting from Elmer, for example - but they screwed it up terrifically.

wicket42:
I recently tried to find a good new TV show to watch. I decided to try 'How I Met Your Mother' after seeing all the praise N.P.H. gets for playing Barney.

That's when I decided to start this thread (and also to give up looking for something new and re-watch every episode of Louie). Is there anything out there that other people find hilarious, but totally fails to tickle your funny bone?

I'm not really looking to objectively argue that something is or is not funny, all these opinions are to be considered just that, opinions.

Anyway, my list would include:
-How I Met Your Mother
-The Big Bang Theory
-Spaceballs (even though I love Star Wars)
-the Scary Movie films

So what's out there that fails to make you laugh?

Conversely, seen anything out there recently that really succeeded in entertaining you?

Well, I like both those shows and love Spaceballs, but you have a Them Crooked Vultures avatar, so you get a pass. Anyway...

The Hangover (most average comedy I've ever laid eyes on)

Modern Family

Napoleon Dynamite (the new show isn't bad, but the movie was highly unfunny, though not
Hangover level)

Katt Williams

The Office

Fred.... Oh how I loathe him.

Jackass

Russell Brand

Ricky Gervais. It's weird, but sometimes he's a genius, and other times I wonder how he makes a living being funny.

The new Nick/CN shows. Adventure Time, Toe Jam & Earl, etc.

Anything on MTV/MTV2/VH1

Jon Stewart and to a lesser degree, Stephen Colbert

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Michael Cera

Ellen DeGeneres

Scrubs

I think I'll stop now.

Will Ferrell,
Adam Sandler,
Ricky Gervais,
Sacha Baron Cohen,
The Mighty Boosh/Conchords/IT Guys/Channel4 "comedy" - except Spaced. I love Spaced.
Any US tv remake. Either make your own (cause you can do it well!) or screen the originals, don't remake it and ruin it!!
Jackass/similar,
later series of Family Guy/South Park/Scrubs
Michael (I laugh at myself because I'm that funny) McIntyre and Frankie Fucking Boyle (seriously... just why?!)
American Pie 4+ (and anything else with Stiffler in it - no point looking up actor's name, since that seems to be the only character he plays...)
24hr News/Weather. When they spend 22hrs of every day repeating themselves ad nauseum, you'd thing that some bright spark would realise there's really no bloody need...)

Not even willing to see what this MyLittlePonyReboot bastardisation of my childhood is all about. There was already an animated series and film(s?) and they were damn good!!

Lee Evans

I mean seriously, why does anyone find this man funny?

Buretsu:
Everything that Sacha Baren Cohen has ever done or said, or will ever do or say, in regards to anything, ever, in the now, in the future, or in any parallel dimensions.

Interesting. I agree fully.

Bradeck:
Call me crazy, but I dislike anything with a laugh track. It feels really annoying having the show tell me something was funny, and I should be laughing. It takes me right out of it.

That is one particular reason for why I liked seasons one through eight of Scrubs so much. With the exception of one episode designed to be a "typical" sitcom mock-up for about half the run-time, Scrubs was a comedy show that had the balls to act like a serious show. It was a half-hour show that thought it was an hour show. It also knew that silly, over-the-top comedy should occasionally be brought back down by serious, straight-faced drama or "real" moments.

As far as actually being on-topic: Apart from agreeing about Sacha Baron Cohen, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be the Adult Swim line-up of shows, with specific mentions going to Tim & Eric. The other shows I simply don't think are funny, but Tim & Eric are something that shouldn't even be on television, in my humble opinion.

EDIT: Actually, I've thought of another thing. Steve Carell. He is an actor who tries far too hard to be "funny", and ends up pulling "awkward" comedy as his main funny factor. I don't like "awkward" comedy very much, especially when the main character is over-acting far too much.

xPixelatedx:
.[/b] Chef was the best character, and he is gone (R.I.P. Isaac Haze) but he ditched the show long before that, and good for him for it. And I am not even going to talk bout the whole political/pop culture message thing because it is too widely known to need reference. I liked this show a lot better when it was just 4 kids cussing, fending off aliens and talking to Christmas poo.

Well, Isaac left because he didn't like it that they made fun of Scientology, which he was a member of. To me that isn't "good for him for it", it just means that he was someone who could dish out, but not take jokes in return. Kind of made me dislike him. I personally still like South Park, but I can see why others don't.

OT: I can't see anything funny about Big Bang Theory. I have watched every episode, and I'm not sure I've laughed once whilst doing it.

Michael Macintyre. Or whatever his name is. Also I was going to say Big Bang Theory but pretty much everyone here seems to hate it which makes me happy.

Seinfeld. I hated that show, but nearly everyone I know loved it. I just can't see the appeal, personally. Also, most comedy films these days are something I just don't find humorous.

Monkeyman O'Brien:

Zooey Deschanel. Another one who can not act. She is a aweful mix of wooden and awkward. The Sci-Fi remake of The Wizard of Oz would have been good except the cast had to practically carry her around like a goddamn mannequin. Then she shows up in this new series The New Girl and is just even worse. I would not care at all except the first ep had Damon Wayans Jr who I love but is a very unappreciated actor. But no, that dead eyed Katy Perry knock off keeps getting work. I would honestly not be surprised to find out she is a aspie.

Yea, i totally agree, she is just so bland. That "New Girl" is just awful too, and amount of people who seem to love it baffles me. She seems to have been the reason the word "Adorkable" was spawned too, man i hate that word.

ZeroMachine:
The only one that I can think of that's almost universally loved is Big Bang Theory.

For every second of that show I see, I swear it shaves off at least three of my brain cells.

I've legitimately gotten a headache while being forced to watch that god awful show.

I'm usually all for opinions and everything, but I legitimately think that the show is just downright bad. Whenever I hear my friends freaking out over how funny it is it makes me want to smack them upside the head.

Only reason I don't (most of my friends are comfortable with the "stop being stupid" whack as long as it isn't hard) is because they're so defensive about it for some reason. Seriously, even when people bash Halo or Dragon Age I only get defensive when they start lying about it. When I simply state that I hate the show, it isn't my thing, and that I find it unfunny (all matters of opinion, I've never stated that I think the show is shit to people I know like it) I get dirty looks.

It's confounding.

Wholeheartedly agreed and understood. I never watched it 'cause the adverts didn't draw me in, a friend of mine came around once and convinced me to watch one episode. So I sat and watched the entire thing. I maybe chuckled twice. It's just the type of humour that doesn't appeal to me and he was astounded that I hadn't really enjoyed it. I wouldn't go so far as to hate it, but I just didn't find it funny. He was laughing his head off and kept looking round to see if I was laughing. I wasn't.

lacktheknack:

I don't understand. EVERYONE told me what an incredible and funny film this was, and my friends made me watch it.

I spent the entire damn movie trying to figure out how to set people on fire through a TV screen, then pull their charred corpses out so I could beat my friends to death with them. Sadly, this state of mind only occurs when I'm very thoroughly unamused.

Omg I thought I was the only one who didn't like this movie. I remember all my classmates loving it for like forever.Eventually my older brother rented it and I watched it with him in the living room and I just didn't find it funny. I found it stupid....

Jeff Dunham, to paraphrase Doug Walker (who I also find terribly unfunny) Wow, that's ofensive and unfunny. It's just like Jeff Dunham.

April Hannah:

lacktheknack:

I don't understand. EVERYONE told me what an incredible and funny film this was, and my friends made me watch it.

I spent the entire damn movie trying to figure out how to set people on fire through a TV screen, then pull their charred corpses out so I could beat my friends to death with them. Sadly, this state of mind only occurs when I'm very thoroughly unamused.

Omg I thought I was the only one who didn't like this movie. I remember all my classmates loving it for like forever.Eventually my older brother rented it and I watched it with him in the living room and I just didn't find it funny. I found it stupid....

That is exactly what I am suffering through with my peers and Project x. I mean they act like they're really going to the party in the film, which looks pretty shitty itself.

him over there:
Jeff Dunham, to paraphrase Doug Walker (who I also find terribly unfunny) Wow, that's ofensive and unfunny. It's just like Jeff Dunham.

April Hannah:

lacktheknack:

That is exactly what I am suffering through with my peers and Project x. I mean they act like they're really going to the party in the film, which looks pretty shitty itself.

It sucks when you go through that stuff. I would how long the hype will last? Also have you seen the movies yet I just wondered? I honestly don't plan on going to see project x for one I'm not into found footage movies and two just like the hangover the humor is not my type.

Project X, I went to see this udder abomination last Friday with a group of friends thinking it might beas good as the hangover was, I was completly wrong. All of the "humor" seemed very immature to me and I felt kind of embarased when everybody else in the theature (most of whom were people I go to school with) were laughing histaricly any time the film made a sophmoric remark about sex, drugs, or anyother "mature" topic.

The Big Bang Theory Why? they just reference nerdy stuff and by doing it they think it's funny,look you could make a reference and make it funny but you need to have context or something most times they eating or talking and then nerdy reference and most times they don't know what they are talking about in one episode sheldon said that they could play Mario 64 together but you know what? Mario 64 is not a freaking MULTIPLAYER GAME in fact i think it's one of the few mario games that only have singleplayer, then Penny she's alright for the most part but sometimes she is ignorant to the point that is unbelievable but the worst it's sheldon he probably is the most annoying tv character of all time he is never funnyand BAZINGA is over-fucking-used but the actor who plays him is pretty good i have to say that. The laugh Track seems to last forever at every freaking second you hear those stupid laughs.

The Office: oh my good dwight and michael are horrible people in one episode some dude called Ryan accidentaly burns down something, is discovered in the ending but trough the episode we see michael the ignorant who doesn't know anything work related and he thinks he is sooooo smart but he isn't basicaly likes Ryan because he helps him with everything but when they discover that Ryan started the fire (Dwight discovered after doing something really stupid) he treats him like garbage and goes with Dwight in a milisecond,both of them laugh at his face because he made a mistake they are freaking Assholes but at least the rest of the cast is great if you take Dwight and Michael the show would be a lot better.

RANT OVER.

The Lonely Island.

Yes, really. You're on a boat. Good for you. How is that so side-splitting?

April Hannah:

him over there:

April Hannah:

It sucks when you go through that stuff. I would how long the hype will last? Also have you seen the movies yet I just wondered? I honestly don't plan on going to see project x for one I'm not into found footage movies and two just like the hangover the humor is not my type.

No, because I have never liked those sorts of movies, they're ridiculous and I don't know how you would ever make "We ruined a neighbourhood and the lives of everyone in it with our irresponsibilty" funny. Actually when I put it that way maybe I could watch it if I go into it with a condescending "Look at those fucking fucks" attitude.

Miranda. Apparently people do like it. Those people are idiots.
Also, "Mrs Brown's Boys". If you haven't seen it I'll describe the joke to you. Right, picture a man, now picture a man with women's clothes on. Haha, men don't wear dresses.

Comedy TV-shows, especially those that uses laughing tracks. Why is it necessarily to use it? By request from friends, Ive watched some of these shows, and as soon as that laughter appears, even how funny the joke was, I either change channel or turn of the TV to do something else.

Stand-up comedians should learn from a mime and close their mouths. All they do is tell different variations of the same joke, do nothing but yell, and repeat themselves all the time.

Honorable mentions: The Simpson (boring), Ray William Johnson (relentlessly boring) and Two and a Half Men (beyond-imaginable-boring)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked