9.1% (108)
9.1% (108)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Where are you from?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

kortin:

dorkette1990:

GrimTuesday:
I'm from Washington state in America. Yes, We get lots of rain (I think its raining now actually) and there are a lot of hipsters. the city I live in is the original Vancouver, so screw you you name stealing Canadians. I'd rather say I was from the proud country of Cascadia, but unfortunately, seceding is frowned upon in the US.

Also Washington state in America. And I think it just quit raining here. It's a miracle! The hipsters are still abound though.
And also, here here to the sentiment on Washington DC.

It's kind of silly for someone to assume someone from Washington is from DC. The District of Columbia is such a small area, you'd be hard pressed to actually meet someone from there. >.<

Of course, parents being in the military means that Washington DC is rarely referred to anything more than "DC". :P

TheCruxis:
Another one of these polls. The poll seems a bit screwed up since you have a few nations listed(USA, China, Australia) and all the rest are continents. That seems rather unfair and rather stupid. Why compare continets to nations?

Australia is a continent and a country.
China: I'm not sure the reasoning behind that.
The US: He's from the US. He's going to put it down.

Actually, as far as I know, Australia is part of the continent "Oceania", which is Australia, New Zealand, the other islands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

I don't see China as an option, but I see but I see (not China). What gives?

Also surprised at all the Europeans. Is it because Yahtzee's the biggest draw and he's British (ex-pat, w/e)?

BlackStar42:

Matt King:
excuse me, but i'm from england. i know it is part of Europe but i think we deserve our own option

Why? Nobody else in Europe gets their own option, and there's too many countries in Europe to list them all.

And yet USA still gets their own option separate from the "North America" option, what gives? Also Australia should be replaced with Oceania and why the hell does China stand alone? I don't think the Escapist have many East-Asian readers at all.

Gatx:

Also surprised at all the Europeans. Is it because Yahtzee's the biggest draw and he's British (ex-pat, w/e)?

My guess is that the US will get a few more votes in a few hours- they're all at school/work at the moment (or waking up/having breakfast in Hawaii).

I'm from Canada, eh?

BlackStar42:

Gatx:

My guess is that the US will get a few more votes in a few hours- they're all at school/work at the moment (or waking up/having breakfast in Hawaii).

This is true. I'm actually typing this from the library, hah.

TheCruxis:
And yet USA still gets their own option separate from the "North America" option, what gives?

I'm going to argue that 1. The OP is American like myself and 2. There are alot of us and many of my countrymen are loud and whiny. Honestly who wants to listen to that?

Otherwise I no other ideas to offer.

DanielBrown:
Sweden. Stop bunching us togeather as "Europeans"!

lRookiel:
I'm from England, I'm English, not European!

DanielBrown:
Sweden. Stop bunching us togeather as "Europeans"!

The OP is a Yank.... Did you expect anything else?

A Yank from NJ, wow...

All I can say is that you're both being very childish... especially you lRookiel.

How do you propose I divide Europe along with the whole world in only 8 options?

I won't go so far as to turn this into an argument about America or New Jersey, but you have shown your naivete and lack of world-knowledge in your silly comments. As someone who has traveled (and lived in) almost the entire world, I would say that you know absolutely nothing about the general population of the United States OR the general population of the EXTREMELY dense state of New Jersey. It's actually impossible to generalize about this state as far as I've found.

But please, continue to be ignorant and base your opinions of others off of preconceptions fed to you by the masses. It gives you a wonderful hue of self-induced intellectual superiority.

Gatx:

Shit... lol.

It says China is the third option...

I'm from Wales in the UK, don't group us all as Europe.

Where the Men are Men and the Sheep are scared.

Wales, UK.

BlackStar42:

Stekepanne5:

BlackStar42:

Doesn't Svalbard technically have all three of those?

Anyway, I'm from England, so *sips tea* Yes, quite.

Yes, you are correct on that. I guess I should have specified that I was talking about the place I live in.
Not many polar bears here in Trøndelag.

Have you ever been asked "Are there polar bears here?" by tourists? One of my friends went to Florida the once and was asked the classic "Oh, you're from England! Do you know the Queen?"

(No, no we don't. I was nearly run over by Prince Philip the once though- my one and only claim to fame. True story.)

Well, not by tourists, but several times online. And I fear that a few of them might be serious.

Also, I cannot believe your friend actually got that question. Sometimes, I hate stereotypes.

Thailand :3

From the wet and windy Firth of Forth in Scotland, so that makes me European.

I don't know why some Brits don't like being called European, if anything, we're the conglomeration of Northern/Western Europeans through the ages.

Plus Ireland is further away from Europe than mainland Britain, and they're perfectly happily claiming Europeaness (As far as I can tell, any way)

Bloodtrozorx:

TheCruxis:
And yet USA still gets their own option separate from the "North America" option, what gives?

I'm going to argue that 1. The OP is American like myself and 2. There are alot of us and many of my countrymen are loud and whiny. Honestly who wants to listen to that?

Otherwise I no other ideas to offer.

Also, I'd add that, after China and India, which together account for half the world's population, the US is the most populated country in the world, by a gap of about 60 million. For reference, the most populous country in Europe is France which has about 65 million people (or if you count Russia, which is a bit of a grey area, they have 140ish million?)

A large chunk of western civilization operates under the star spangled banner, so I'd say they deserve their own poll choice.

If anything, I'd take umbrage with putting just Australia instead of Australasia/Oceania and for some reason excluding China from Asia.

You put "Australia" but then put all European countries together? hmmm...
Culturally, Europe varies immensely and its overall population is immense. Separating India and China seems pretty pointless. Sure, their populations are extremely large but the proportion of those on the internet is low.

AnarchistFish:
Culturally, Europe varies immensely and its overall population is immense.

So what would your 8 poll options have been? I'm curious.

I was born many eons ago in a magical place, known as;

Cambridge, England. And no, I don't go to Cambridge University.

I'm from Finland.

as for the poll-options, I would have separated Britain as it's own choice, because I'd like to know how big part of Europeans here they represent. (This being a forum for English-speakers)

TomLikesGuitar:

AnarchistFish:
Culturally, Europe varies immensely and its overall population is immense.

So what would your 8 poll options have been? I'm curious.

Probably would've put,
Western Europe (inc. Scandinavia, divided along the Eastern borders of Germany, Austria and Italy)
Eastern Europe
Asia (inc. Middle East)
Oceania
North and Central America (excluding USA)
USA
South America
Africa

Since the USA takes up such a high proportion of internet users I guess it's fair to give it its own option, although there are a lot of users from Western European countries so that would probably still top it by quite a bit. It'd be harder to divide it any more really.

Russia is divided in two. Part of it is in Europe and the majority is in Asia, but the majority of the actual population is in the European part. Same technically goes for Turkey (in so far as being split between the two continents).

Personally I'm half English, half French, so I don't particularly mind calling myself "European".

Matthew94:
Northern Ireland

The greatest country in the world.

Why? Potato bread, checkmate

We also made Jedward and Tallafornia. Then again you're lucky. You can join in with the good stuff and then blame the rest on us down here.

GrimTuesday:
I'm from Washington state in America. Yes, We get lots of rain (I think its raining now actually) and there are a lot of hipsters. the city I live in is the original Vancouver, so screw you you name stealing Canadians. I'd rather say I was from the proud country of Cascadia, but unfortunately, seceding is frowned upon in the US.

Darknacht:

I'm from Washington state in America. No, we don't get lots of rain, its a desert. Also I support The secession of Cascadia then we can seceding from you and form Columbia.

Spokanite here, Inland Empire FTW! We'll form our own nation, then conquer you all! Basin, highlands, and coastal folks are cool, but I have a solution for all the rain-drenched Seattle hipsters and Olympia hippies... one might say it will be "final"...

But seriously, that's a cool story about the rain, bro. We just get 3' dumps of snow at a time and shrug it off like nothing. Though, it is probably a good thing the whole West side shuts down at 2", I've seen how they "drive" in snow.

Okay, okay, honestly, pretty cool state all-around. I was born in the basin, grew up in Olympia, have lots of friends in Seattle, and now live in Spokane; good places and good people all-around.

As for the "Vancouver" name stealing: it isn't that one "stole" from the other, it's that both were named after the Captain of the British Royal Navy that explored the Pacific coast. So really, you both "stole" the name of an Englishman (he was actually English, I'm not just equating "British" with "English" here). Rather, you both honor him.

From the west midlands in England in a place that one day aspires to be a pimple on the ass of the universe.

JoesshittyOs:
I'm from UHMERICUH!

Down in Arizona. As of late, I've been getting very attracted to the idea of moving to England. I'd like a change of scenery (as in attractive English accents)

Me too! I'm beginning to see more people from this lovely (not really) state, and it's kinda making me happy, hooray for solidarity!

Canada. Where the ice is abit colder and some water won't freeze cause it don't take shit from the weather.

I am British from the south west of England to be percise.Seems the op is from the USA as he can not keep his own country in the continent where everybody else calls it.

I'm from just outside of Melbourne, Australia.

RyoScar:
I'm from Wales in the UK, don't group us all as Europe.

Then i am very curious as to what continent you think you live in?

Ea che guey, ¿vos sabeis que es un "escapista"?

United States of New Jersey here!
Best state in the whole country.....

United states more specifically Chicago [1]

[1] well not techincally I live in a suburb but I always say Chicago. I just say Chicago because nobody has ever heard of my home town and I tire of having to give a geography lesson every time someone asks where I am from.

BlackStar42:

Matt King:
excuse me, but i'm from england. i know it is part of Europe but i think we deserve our own option

Why? Nobody else in Europe gets their own option, and there's too many countries in Europe to list them all.

It was a fucking joke -__-

Wisconsin! The cheesiest state in the Union and i mean that figuratively and literally.

Well, seeing as how we're so unpopular here due to the fact that we have our own option instead of being stuck with a continent, I guess I really shouldn't--

A-MER-I-CUH!!!

... Sorry (I'm not really). I find it kind of odd that America has its own option. Guess I'm not alone.

To answer the real question, I'm from the wonder land of Colorado. Which is known for snowing. And skiing. And Four Corners. And it's not snowing. And I can't ski. And I live in central Colorado, which is such a long drive from Four Corners. I kind of wish that I didn't live here. Everyone's so biased about everything. And no matter how many times I play "Why Can't We Be Friends?", it only gets worse.

Ah, America. Where the Klu Klux Klan can run rampant and Nazis are allowed freedom of speech. F*** the Bill of Rights.

Norway....which technically is Scandinavia. :3c

I'm from the U.S. A suburb of Philadelphia, PA. Or as I refer to it, Suburbadelphia.

Another one of those Washington State folks. And, yes, it is currently raining. D;

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked