How would you improve the escapist?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Alisbet:
I would go on ahead and install some webcams so that people can see what happens in the Escapist office.

Oh my god the horror...

but mostly it's just Steve Butts dancing and Mud shooting people in the face with nerf darts. Okay, so I can see why you'd want to watch this... ha

BanthaFodder:

It's not a good thing that someone can flame the hell out of a thread for no good reason, call the OP a scumbag, and walk away scott-free because they have a tidier Health Meter.
It's not how you maintain a good community.

Pardon? You seem to be thinking about things in a very strange way...

If person X flames person Y, and person Y has a health meter that is much higher, it means that person Y has had a history of behaving inappropriately in the past and thus should recieve less pardon than person X. Person X could just be having a bad day. The purpose of the forum health meter is to make moderation transparent and to make penalties more fair overall, not just with regard to particular instances.

Further, we have an amnesty system. Not only do you get 7 "please stop doing that"'s before we ask you to stop using the forums entirely, but you can actually get MORE chances than this by simply not breaking rules for long enough.

On top of all these things, you are required to agree to our code of conduct when you register your account, so it's not like you don't know what our rules are. You either choose to follow them or you don't, all we can do is set the terms and ask you to abide by them.

whiteblood:
One MASSIVE issue I have with the forums: low-content posts somehow being deserving of punishment.

What is so inhumanly wrong about merely stating an agreement to the OP or someone in the thread? Is it a crime against humanity to comment, even if it's a passing agreement, in a place meant for commenting? Personally, when I make a thread, I like to have a lot of comments on it, even if they're brief. Sure, they may not add too much to the discussion at large, but they ADD TO THE POST COUNT.

Adding to the post count does two things:

1) Adds it to the top 5 threads on the front page for a while, getting it seen by more people.

2) Makes for a little more interesting thread to look at in general, since something with a lot of comments is more likely to be looked at.

I'm not asking for bump/sage to become common practice here, especially not sage since that would be abused rabidly. All I'm asking for is an agreement to not be considered a suspension worthy offense.

It's not interesting for people that are looking to participate in an actual discussion, which is the purpose of our forums. Who wants to skim through an entire page of "lol" and "+1" to get to a relevant point?

TriGGeR_HaPPy:

Angry Juju:

TriGGeR_HaPPy:
That's exactly what warnings are. Warning you that "oh by the way, don't do this, it's not acceptable here."
Warnings have no impact on you whatsoever, they're purely there as, well... as a warning.

Actually warnings make it so you're more likely to get suspended.

And I received two warnings for pretty much the same thing. and both of those warnings were only given after i made both posts.

Warnings bring you closer to being suspended if you keep making the same mistakes, yeah. But if you don't keep making those mistakes, then the warnings are nothing but another green mark on your profile. Surely that's reasonable?
And how would you prefer they give you the warnings... Before you made the posts you were warned for?

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that you would like to have known what not to do before you started posting, but you didn't want to read the rules... If you don't read the rules, how else would you like to know what the rules of the forum are?
I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just genuinely interested. :)

You're wrong. I would have liked one warning instead of two because I made the same mistake twice before being made aware that i was making a mistake as I don't see how I can correct the mistake BEFORE being aware of that mistake. I honestly don't see how I can convey that point in a clearer way.

I would also like the moderators to actually ban people properly instead of what they deem ban worthy, I've seen people on this forum get warnings for disagreeing with points while one of the rules is to not make repeat threads while when you look through the forums, it's Mass Effect 3 threads left, right and center.

I'd love to see the ability to flag a thread for merger. That way when some Video Game Shit-storm hits, we can have one thread of mindlessness instead of 500 million of them!

Other than that, since people seem to have a problem with it, why not add a tool bar to the right of the reply section that will let people insert BBC Code right into their post.

Angry Juju:

TriGGeR_HaPPy:

Angry Juju:

Actually warnings make it so you're more likely to get suspended.

And I received two warnings for pretty much the same thing. and both of those warnings were only given after i made both posts.

Warnings bring you closer to being suspended if you keep making the same mistakes, yeah. But if you don't keep making those mistakes, then the warnings are nothing but another green mark on your profile. Surely that's reasonable?
And how would you prefer they give you the warnings... Before you made the posts you were warned for?

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that you would like to have known what not to do before you started posting, but you didn't want to read the rules... If you don't read the rules, how else would you like to know what the rules of the forum are?

You're wrong. I would have liked one warning instead of two because I made the same mistake twice before being made aware that i was making a mistake as I don't see how I can correct the mistake BEFORE being aware of that mistake. I honestly don't see how I can convey that point in a clearer way.

I would also like the moderators to actually ban people properly instead of what they deem ban worthy, I've seen people on this forum get warnings for disagreeing with points while one of the rules is to not make repeat threads while when you look through the forums, it's Mass Effect 3 threads left, right and center.

Each user must consent to our Code of Conduct before registering an account. It was your choice not to read it.

Angry Juju:

TriGGeR_HaPPy:
*snip*

Derp, yeah, thought I could be wrong... Working on final year university projects has made my brain a bit slow at the moment, so I do apologise.

And I know you said not to say you should have read the rules before you posted, but, uhh...
>_> yeah...

I thought you were angry about getting any warnings for it at all. As for just taking it down to 1 warning instead of 2, did you try to appeal the warning? As far as I've heard, even if the mods can be a bit inconsistent sometimes they usually listen to appeals if you make a fair case.

And just for the record, I do agree about the repeat-threads part.

Nasrin:

Angry Juju:

TriGGeR_HaPPy:

Each user must consent to our Code of Conduct before registering an account. It was your choice not to read it.

Once again my point is missed. So i'm going to make a timeline.

Day 1: Makes a low content post

Day 3: Makes another low content posts (note: both posts were about 3-4 words)

Day 5: Receives TWO warnings for BOTH posts when I think that the person should be made aware of the mistake before being given another warning

You also didn't address the point that

I would also like the moderators to actually ban people properly instead of what they deem ban worthy, I've seen people on this forum get warnings for merely disagreeing with points but then I see hundreds of repeat threads about Mass Effect 3

Edited quote for clarity.

In fact you didn't even say anything that was relevant to the point I was trying to make :/...

Anyone else find it fitting that we're discussing forum moderation/punishment in a thread that someone got punished in?

Anyway I'd say we should get health packs for our health meter. I hate this CoD, wait behind cover for the blood to wash off my face business. We should be able to extend an olive branch and be given the opportunity to do something that benefits the community in order to restore our health meters. If done right I think this would allow for a healthier forum atmosphere and probably keep some of the discussions fresh. I see a lot of people who are living on the edge meter-wise and neglect to argue points fervently because they fear the ban hammer will finish them off. It's pretty easy to avoid getting in trouble while arguing a point but some people just don't want to take risks and I can understand that.

Angry Juju:

In fact you didn't even say anything that was relevant to the point I was trying to make :/...

You're complaining about moderation in a forum thread, rather than appealing it in any proper way. Other people get warned for that.

If you want to discuss this issue with me in a way that might yield some positive results, I suggest using either the appeals system, the moderation user group, or PMing me.

Fappy:
Anyone else find it fitting that we're discussing forum moderation/punishment in a thread that someone got punished in?

Anyway I'd say we should get health packs for our health meter. I hate this CoD, wait behind cover for the blood to wash off my face business. We should be able to extend an olive branch and be given the opportunity to do something that benefits the community in order to restore our health meters. If done right I think this would allow for a healthier forum atmosphere and probably keep some of the discussions fresh. I see a lot of people who are living on the edge meter-wise and neglect to argue points fervently because they fear the ban hammer will finish them off. It's pretty easy to avoid getting in trouble while arguing a point but some people just don't want to take risks and I can understand that.

Calling staff members douches is a quick way to get banned from any site, regardless of setting.

Nasrin:

Fappy:

Calling staff members douches is a quick way to get banned from any site, regardless of setting.

Does this kind of thing happen often? I almost never see people throwing insults at staff members around here. Now the Bioware forums... that's a completely different animal. They had to change their forum policy twice in one week because their employees kept getting attacked and singled out.

The only thing I could think that would make the site better is another me.

I mean, that would be twice the awesome right there.

In regards to moderation, it's actually really easy to not get in trouble.

It took me 5 warnings, but I've learned that you get can a point across without having to resort to insults, and that if you think your post is cutting it thin, be sure to emphasise that you intend no offense.

I've already earned one health bar redemtpion, here's hoping I can stay out of toruble long enough to get another :D

no more forums.
yep, i went there.
seriously though folks if you want to have an argument, by all means, but if you can't do so in a civilized manner then don't bother because no one will care anyways. just because were on the internet doesn't mean we need to be loud mouthed dicks

Daystar Clarion:

It took me 5 warnings, but I've learned that you get can a point across without having to resort to insults, and that if you think your post is cutting it thin, be sure to emphasise that you intend no offense.

I've already earned one health bar redemtpion, here's hoping I can stay out of toruble long enough to get another :D

Remember, 2 years with no warnings = a complete health meter wipe.

Nasrin:

Daystar Clarion:

Remember, 2 years with no warnings = a complete health meter wipe.

Well I've worked it out, if you get one segment wiped every 6 months, by the time I'm eligible for the 2 year thing, I'll only have 1 segment left anyway :D

Having a section called 'Community Videos' or 'User Videos' will be nice. I don't think I need to expand on that, you've already got the picture.

SOLVEmedia: whoops a daisy

What? Did I do something wrong?

Nasrin:

JochemHippie:

Nasrin:

The ones with the most posts have the most trouble loading, but tech assures me that they're working on a solution. Unfortunately it involves digging deep into the guts of the site, so we're treading carefully.

So I've read, According to Kross there are more urgent matters then a non-functional part of the site.
Groups as active as ours do house a lot of paying members, quite a few who've already left The Escapist because of this problem.

I know that we could just make a new group, but you know how difficult decisions in general tend to be when you're looking at large groups.

Apart from that I'd like to thank you guys for the custom backgrounds, loving the Apocalypse one :3

You make some very good points. I'll do my best to lend some urgency to your request!

EDIT: It should be running better now, Kross has made some adjustments from what I understand. Please do let us know!

He has previously stated the root script was in dire need of a re-write, is this suddenly not true anymore?
I hope it's true, but I've had quite some issues with it this morning.

JochemHippie:
He has previously stated the root script was in dire need of a re-write, is this suddenly not true anymore?

He didn't mislead you, and we are currently in the process of working on it. That's all I can say :/

Nasrin:

JochemHippie:

He didn't mislead you, and we are currently in the process of working on it. That's all I can say :/

Much appreciated, if this works out I'll get Pub Club.
I'm glad it's finally been fixed.

Get rid of CAPTCHA

L et us criticize a show without fear of getting in trouble.

Warn people who criticize/harass others just because they like a certain genre.

RaikuFA:
Get rid of CAPTCHA

You are allowed to criticize content, you are not allowed to criticize the people that make it. We do our best to make clear the difference between the two.

Nasrin:

RaikuFA:
Get rid of CAPTCHA

You are allowed to criticize content, you are not allowed to criticize the people that make it. We do our best to make clear the difference between the two.

Then why do people still criticize MB for being MB? I'm confuzzled moddy.

I'd still like to see people getting in trouble for insulting others choice of games and telling others that that persons comments on future topics is invalid because they like platformers or nostalgia trip games.

I quite like it as it is, I just don't watch anything I don't like.

RaikuFA:

I'd still like to see people getting in trouble for insulting others choice of games and telling others that that persons comments on future topics is invalid because they like platformers or nostalgia trip games.

Why protect yourself from opinions you dislike? Is that really a realistic way to approach learning about a subject?

Matthew94:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

There would be too many problems with all the lack of discussions and the forum celebrities and the hey hey!

NO

Oh god, forum celebrities. They are like sadder versions of reality-tv celebrities, just without all the money and women.

xSKULLY:
im probably in the minority here but i dont care how popular i am (or anyone else is) on the escapist just what they have to say and how they say it, but as i said im probably in the minority

i can see how a culture of X is famous lets all upvote X could be harmful, it all depends on how important likes are to people, i would see them as not really mattering maybe it would be nice to get 10 upvotes on a youtube video you linked to or on a well put together argument and if someone is being obnoxious or if you disagree with them you can hit the downvote as opposed to being the be all and end all of the community and the whole community revolving round getting lots of likes (that would make me sad)

There have been a lot of people on these forums that styled themselves as being superior due to their relative e-fame or post-count, with dumb-asses lining up to complement their every post.

Nasrin:

RaikuFA:

Why protect yourself from opinions you dislike? Is that really a realistic way to approach learning about a subject?

Thats not what I mean. Heres an example:

Member A says they like RTS games.

Member B dosen't and berates A for liking them.

Every time A tries to make a point in a topic B jumps in and tells people that A's opinion dosen't matter because A likes RTS games and should be berated so because Yahtzee or someone famous on the site dosen't like them.

I've seen it a few times on this site. Its not frequent but it's happened at least once mayabe twice each month. Most of the time member B is banned but for something else entirely. And GameFAQS is worse with it.

Its ok to like/dislike a genre but to harass someone over it shouldn't be allowed.

RaikuFA:

Nasrin:

RaikuFA:

Thats not what I mean. Heres an example:

Member A says they like RTS games.

Member B dosen't and berates A for liking them.

Every time A tries to make a point in a topic B jumps in and tells people that A's opinion dosen't matter because A likes RTS games and should be berated so because Yahtzee or someone famous on the site dosen't like them.

I've seen it a few times on this site. Its not frequent but it's happened at least once mayabe twice each month. Most of the time member B is banned but for something else entirely. And GameFAQS is worse with it.

Its ok to like/dislike a genre but to harass someone over it shouldn't be allowed.

We have a no jerks policy. If someone is actively bullying you, you can let us know and we'll get involved.

Hyper-space:

Matthew94:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

There would be too many problems with all the lack of discussions and the forum celebrities and the hey hey!

NO

Oh god, forum celebrities. They are like sadder versions of reality-tv celebrities, just without all the money and women.

xSKULLY:
im probably in the minority here but i dont care how popular i am (or anyone else is) on the escapist just what they have to say and how they say it, but as i said im probably in the minority

i can see how a culture of X is famous lets all upvote X could be harmful, it all depends on how important likes are to people, i would see them as not really mattering maybe it would be nice to get 10 upvotes on a youtube video you linked to or on a well put together argument and if someone is being obnoxious or if you disagree with them you can hit the downvote as opposed to being the be all and end all of the community and the whole community revolving round getting lots of likes (that would make me sad)

There have been a lot of people on these forums that styled themselves as being superior due to their relative e-fame or post-count, with dumb-asses lining up to complement their every post.

The only forum celebrities I have respect for are those that actually contribute to the community outside of a high post count. Miracleofsound is a good example because he actually provides the site with content.

I'm allowed to tickle torture anyone who mentions the words "Forum celebrities".
I'm allowed to tickle Jedamethis.
I'm allowed to enter the mind of Daystar Clarion, for it interests me.
I'm allowed to steal everyone's cheese.
And last but not least, I'm allowed to eat everyone's cheese.

But if you're looking for serious answers, er...group fix and forum game fix, maybe? The bigger forum games suffer the same issue as the groups, the posting box vanishes and you can't see any posts made in it. So yeah, that.

Oh, and cheese for everyone. That too.

Ban this icky fellow. He is such a jerk, stinking up the community with his icky ways... We would all be better off if he was banned. :D

Beyond that... Nothing really. These forums are pretty okay. Alright, the community can suck sometimes, but beyond that I have no real problems.

Sassafrass:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa, whoa.

What? Why me?

Nasrin:

BanthaFodder:

It's not a good thing that someone can flame the hell out of a thread for no good reason, call the OP a scumbag, and walk away scott-free because they have a tidier Health Meter.
It's not how you maintain a good community.

Pardon? You seem to be thinking about things in a very strange way...

If person X flames person Y, and person Y has a health meter that is much higher, it means that person Y has had a history of behaving inappropriately in the past and thus should recieve less pardon than person X. Person X could just be having a bad day. The purpose of the forum health meter is to make moderation transparent and to make penalties more fair overall, not just with regard to particular instances.

Further, we have an amnesty system. Not only do you get 7 "please stop doing that"'s before we ask you to stop using the forums entirely, but you can actually get MORE chances than this by simply not breaking rules for long enough.

On top of all these things, you are required to agree to our code of conduct when you register your account, so it's not like you don't know what our rules are. You either choose to follow them or you don't, all we can do is set the terms and ask you to abide by them.

I'm just saying, it's rather unfair.
Instead of a "Person X did Y to Person Z, they will recieve Punishment Q. The end." kind of set-up, the health bar pretty much allows some posters to do whatever they want, so long as they space it out enough.

Someone could accumulate several minor offenses (let's say, swearing, for example) and get smacked down by a mod for something minor.

Another person could have a generally clean health bar, but then throw a complete shit fit every now and then and suffer a much lesser punishment.

The Health Meter tends to create an unfair bias, so to speak.
Coming from personal experience, as I have a less than pristine Health Bar (mostly a bunch of minor stuff). I once had someone (with a clean bar) flame my thread for no good reason, posting multiple times about how I'm a "fucking scumbag" (I was asking if anyone knew how to work Half-Life DJ). I tell him to calm down and recieve a temporary ban. They remained untouched by the mods until I politely urged them to take the whole situation into account and to be fair.

The cleaner your Health Bar, the more you can get away with. Instead of focusing on the actual situation, attention usually drifts to the Health Bar as opposed to who is really at fault.
But that's just how I see it personally, so take it as you will :)

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa, whoa.

What? Why me?

ENOUGH QUESTIONS! EMBRACE ETERNITY!

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

Sassafrass:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa, whoa.

What? Why me?

ENOUGH QUESTIONS! EMBRACE ETERNITY!

You weren't expecting that, were you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked