Quotes from fictional characters that made you stop and think or have stuck with you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

"The truth, Yelena, always. No matter what."
-Spider Jerusalem

''There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always - do not forget this, Winston - always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.''

Cowboy Bebop

"Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about."

"Is not the human body a mere shell, a form of existence all too small and weak for consciousness with such vast reach and potential?"

Firefly

"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that...You find someone to carry you."

The Dark Tower

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire" - Roland Deschain, of Gilead.

The man in black smiled. "Shall we tell the truth then, you and I? No more lies?"
"I thought we had been."
But the man in black persisted as if Roland hadn't spoken. "Shall there be truth between us, as two men? Not as friends, but as equals? There is an offer you will get rarely, Roland. Only equals speak the truth, that's my thought on it. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of regard. How tiresome!"

Rocknrolla

Johnny Quid: You see that pack of Virginia killing sticks on the end of the piano?

Pete: Yes.

Johnny Quid: All you need to know about life is retained in those four walls.
You will notice that one of your personalities is seduced by the illusions of grandeur - the gold packet of king size with a regal insignia, an attractive implication towards grandeur and wealth, the subtle suggestion that cigarettes are indeed your royal and loyal friends, and that, Pete, is a lie.

Your other personality is trying to draw your attention to the flip side of the discussion, written in boring bold black and white, it's a statement that these neat little soldiers of death and in fact trying to kill you and that, Pete, is the truth.

Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren.
That which starts sweet ends bitter, and that which starts bitter ends sweet.
That is why you and i love the drugs and that is also why I cannot give that painting back. now please, pass me a light (or lie).

Pete: Oh you are something special, Mr johnny quid.

"When I was a young man, I had liberty but I did not see it; I Had time but I did not know it; and I had love but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."
Ezio Auditorie Da Firenze

"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you"
"Organics do not CHOOSE to fear us, it is a function of your hardware"
- Legion, from an old Mass effect 2 trailer.

"Your technology is based on that of the mass relays, OUR technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire"
"Your words are as empty as your future"
"The cycle has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Organic civilizations rise, evolve,advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished"
"Reaper? A label created by the Protheans to give voice to their destruction. In the end, what they choose to call us, is irrelevant. We simply...are."
"We have no beginning. We have no end. We are infinite. Millions of years after your civilization have been eradicated and forgotten, we will endure"
-Sovereign, a reaper from Mass effect.

"Human, you've changed nothing. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater"
"You have failed. We will find another way. Releasing control"
"Your fight against inevitability, DUST struggling against cosmic winds"
"Know this as you die in vane, your time WILL come, your species WILL fall. Prepare yourself for the arrival..."
-Harbinger, another reaper from Mass effect 2

2fish:
What quotes made you stop and think or that stuck with you and why?

For me I was rereading Best Served Cold when I ran across a line I had forgotten, "To the starving man, bread is beautiful. To the homeless man, a roof is beautiful. To the drunkard, wine is beautiful. Only to those who want for nothing else need find beauty in a piece of rock."- Nicomo Cosca

That line just stuck with me as it is a nice bit of social commentary that can be used to examine our lives. It also helps that Cosca is one of my favorite characters along with the cripple. Between the two of them there is a lot of social commentary.

So again I ask you what is you quote and why did it stick with you?

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing... Only I will remain.

This is called the 'Litany Against Fear' and it comes from a book called Dune written by Frank Herbert. I always remembered it for some reason, I wrote it mostly from memory although some of the particular phrases are difficult to remember exactly. The main character in the book recites this during a moment of intense peril.

My favourite Harbinger line is

"We are your salvation through destruction"

"He slowly shook his head. The window cracked and for a moment it sounded as if a wasp had buzzed through the room -- then a dull thud as her body dropped to the floor. Blood poured from the cavity that had been her skull, a wide black pool that spread like a shadow in the darkness.

Jacob knelt and rubbed his fingers in her blood. Monk never missed with a sniper rifle. Not ever."
- Deus Ex's fictional book "Jacob's Shadow", chapter 32

There's also, like, the entire Soul Reaver series (+ defiance) but I won't bother quoting that here.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" No idea, read it in several different different places.

And the only other one I can remember remember is from Homestuck, so the spelling is intentional.

"CA:its hard growwing up
CA:its hard and noone understands"

"Everything happens for a reason"
-Klaus Baudelaire

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."
-Agent K

"I used to be like you... a long time ago. All brand new and perfect. No mistakes, no regrets. People look at you and think of how wonderful your future will be. They want you to be something special... like a doctor or a lawyer. I hate to tell you this, but if you grow up here, you're more likely to wind up selling your bodies on the streets, or shooting dope from dirty needles in a bus stop. And if you're successful, you'll make money selling junk to crackheads. And don't think twice about killing someone's wife, because you won't even know it's wrong in the first place. Maybe... you'll end up like me. A hobo with a shotgun. "
-The Hobo

This one from Max Payne:
'They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark on everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger, and it was over."
It's a sort of closing for that chapter of Max's story. He's finally at peace (or as close as he will get) with what's happened to him. And then Max Payne 2 rolls around.

Paddy the Second:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" No idea, read it in several different different places.

I've seen it most often attributed to Arthur C. Clarke. It would fit his writings.

One of my favourites is from Captain Picard (In the TNG episode "Justice", if you're curious), and I'd like more people to actually follow it:
"There can be no justice so long as laws are absolute."

"It's not about changing the world, it's about doing our best to leave the world the way it is."
-Big Boss, MGS4

"We walk the pass less travelled. You cannot imagine what we have seen with our eyes". - Ranger squad, Eldar, Dawn of War. And by extension; "This world moves SO slowly" - Warp spider squad.

And anything the cultists say xP

"I will not be stopped. Not by you, or the Confederates, or the Protoss or anyone! I will rule this sector or see it burn to ashes around me."
-Mengsk during the New Gettysburg mission

My People, sons and daughters of Helghan. On this day, as our enemy's ships burn away in orbit, as their bodies lie broken in our streets, we are once again reminded of the depths of their depravity.'For years we have suffered unbearable hardships. Banished by our enemies to die from disease, from famine. They scarred us. They weakened us. But that time has passed. 'For years we worked away on empty stomachs, slowly rebuilding our strength, our pride and our nation! But that time has passed.'All these years I have been humbled by the honor to lead you. Ever, EVER onwards! From this day. Till the end of days!"
-Visari from Killzone 3

ChupathingyX:
"They're moving in herds. They do move in herds."

I long for the day when someone can seriously say that line in real life.

Out of curiosity is that from World War Z?

OT: I always loved the bible quote from Fallout 3. "I am the Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

I'm not religious at all but I really like that quote for some reason. Probably because it was delivered by Liam Neeson's vocal cords of win directly to my ear drums.

"You exist because we allow it and you will end, because we demand it."

"We are the Vanguards of your destruction."

How many of you got shivers when you first talked to Sovereign?

There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves.

Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They've heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

Then they get a taste of battle.

For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they've been gutted by an axe.

They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that's still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they're fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it's just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize.

They don't know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they're fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world ...

And the man breaks.

- Septon Meribald ( A Feast for Crows)

A bit long but to good to miss out.

I am at least wise enough to know how ignorant I am. I have realized that the Universe does not have to abide by my preconceptions.
--Dominar Rygel XVI, Farscape

Silence, child. Allow the fool to make his judgement.
-John Irenicus, Baldurs Gate II

Painter Bulldog: ...Oh, my, GOD. GOD. Is DOG....spelled backwards.
Raz: Um...are you okay?
Painter Bulldog: No, wait! God...is CAT...spelled backwards. Ooooh no. Oh, nononono, no!
-Psychonauts

Shanicus:
"Social engineering. The Council blames the Geth. Repeat the lie enough, they will not worry about the Reapers."

"The first thing that a god masters is itself."

"Most Organics would not hold onto ideals of peace for so long."

"Does this Unit have a soul?"
---All of the above from Legion, Mass Effect 2-3.

"In all things, a calm heart must prevail."
-Fawkes, Fallout 3

"No need for bombs, when hate will do."
-Ulysses, Fallout: New Vegas.

"I Die... so that Democracy... shall live."
-Liberty Prime's Final Message, Fallout 3: Broken Steel.

Besides Liberty's Heart-rending death scene (seriously, that robot was kick-ass - was sad to see him go) and quote, all of the above quotes seem pretty important and meaningful to me.

Volf:
well this one comes to mind.....

God dammit! Everytime I see 'Would you Kindly'! EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!!!! (meaning I clicked on it without thinking... Damn Bioshock got to me, man. It got me good.)

Whole heartedly ninja'd. Damn, I was thinking at least 6 of those!

What else...well this isn't exactly a quote but

You big, stupid, jellyfish.

"Have you ever faced an Asari commando unit before? Few humans have."

Matriarch Benezia says this in Mass Effect 1 when you're at Peak 15 on Noveria. Not really a deep, existential quote, but it has always stuck with me ever since I fell in love with Mass Effect in '07.

Rorschach: "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. That's always been the difference between us, Daniel."

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

- Thief of time

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

- Diggers

"If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember."

- Lords and Ladies

"Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind."

- Reaper Man

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

- Good Omens

"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."

- Interesting time

"Thought-he told himself quietly-is a weapon one uses in order to act... Thought is the tool by which one makes a choice... Thought sets one's purpose and the way to reach it."

-Atlas Shrugged

"Why is it whenever someone says "with all due respect", they really mean "kiss my ass"?"

-Ashley Williams, Mass Effect

"Anyone who fights us is either stupid or on Saren's payroll. Killing the latter is business. Killing the former is a favor to the universe."

-Urdnot Wrex, Mass Effect

"There's never been a true war that wasn't fought between two sets of people who were certain they were in the right. The really dangerous people believe they are doing whatever they are doing solely and only because it is without question the right thing to do. And that is what makes them dangerous."

-Mr. Wednesday

"Life - and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison - is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."

- Death

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up a whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life... You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' or 'how very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. Nothing should be able to do that. Especially not love. I hate love.

- Rose Walker, Sandman

My personal favourite-

"I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not. I can believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and Marilyn Monroe and the Beatles and Elvis and Mister Ed. Listen - I believe that people are perfectible, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look like wrinkledy lemurs and bad ones who mutilate cattle and want our water and our women. I believe that the future sucks and I believe that the future rocks and I believe that one day White Buffalo Woman is going to come back and kick everyone's ass. I believe that all men are just overgrown boys with deep problems communicating and that the decline in good sex in America is coincident with the decline in drive-in movie theaters from state to state. I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative. I believe that California is going to sink into the sea when the big one comes, while Florida is going to dissolve into madness and alligators and toxic waste. I believe that antibacterial soap is destroying our resistance to dirt and disease so that one day we'll all be wiped out by the common cold like the Martians in War of the Worlds. I believe that the greatest poets of the last century were Edith Sitwell and Don Marquis, that jade is dried dragon sperm, and that thousands of years ago in a former life I was a one-armed Siberian shaman. I believe that mankind's destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it's aerodynamically impossible for a bumblebee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there's a cat in a box somewhere who's alive and dead at the same time (although if they don't ever open the box to feed it it'll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself. I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn't even know that I'm alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of causal chaos, background noise, and sheer blind luck. I believe that anyone who says that sex is overrated just hasn't done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what's going on will lie about the little things too. I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman's right to choose, a baby's right to live, that while all human life is sacred there's nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicitly, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system. I believe that life is a game, that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you're alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

- Sam

And I shall leave you fellows with that wall of text.

"War... war never changes." (Narrator) Fallout 3
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world" (G-Man) Half Life 2
"Do a barrel roll!" (Peppy) Star Fox 64
"A man chooses; a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan) Bioshock

"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Tyler Durden

"Fine. You either die the hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

-Harvey Dent

"With respect Master Wayne, perhaps this is a man that you don't fully understand, either. A long time ago, I was in Burma. My friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So, we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never met anybody who traded with him. One day, I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away."

"So why steal them?"

"Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

-Alfred Pennyworth to Bruce Wayne

These are just a few. I'm sure I'll remember more.

Luke3184:

American Gods!

/hug

You know in that respectable hey bro kind of way...

Zack Alklazaris:

Luke3184:

American Gods!

/hug

/Equally manly hug back

That book is nowhere near read enough :(

DeadEyeDan:

ChupathingyX:
"They're moving in herds. They do move in herds."

I long for the day when someone can seriously say that line in real life.

Out of curiosity is that from World War Z?

Nope, it's from Jurassic Park.

Dr. Grant says it after witnessing herds of dinosaurs moving, referencing how after centuries of research and theories we now know exactly how dinosaurs would have acted in real life from a simple observation.

"Because if you don't punish me, Gensokyo shall be no more!"

What? I love this quote.

... You do realise most noteworthy quotes are "said" by fictional characters, whether that be in books, movies, or parabels?

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
-Oscar Wilde

"Tell my tale to those who ask, tell it truly. The evil deeds along with the good, and let me be judge accordingly. The rest is silence."
Dinobot
The greatest final words ever, especially for a warrior.

Luke3184:

Zack Alklazaris:

Luke3184:

American Gods!

/hug

/Equally manly hug back

That book is nowhere near read enough :(

No its not. Its definitely one of the best books I've ever read. You should read Anansi Boys. It has a nice backstory of Mr Wednesday and his family. (which may sound dull, but it really isn't) It is very much written in the same style as American Gods.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter
Stop right there criminal scum!
You have comitted crimes against Skyrim and her people.
I used to be an adventurer like you...
Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll?
Move along, citizen.

They don't mean anything to me, but they are burned into my brain...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here