Any wrestling fans out there on the escapist?

Pages PREV 1 2

Used to watch regularly, eventually forgot about it because most of the people I knew retired.

xSKULLY:
(jokes, please dont flame me)

Funny, because according to the other thread you want to be in the military and you make jokes about man-to-man contact.

Jack the Potato:
I like the Rock, but frankly I like John Cena more. The Rock's extremely overt "I'm a badass and everyone knows it" schtick is a bit of a turn off for me.

I couldn't see any reason to like his character. There is nothing likeable on that mix of gangster and "MUHREEN".

Rawne1980:

ProtoChimp:

Rawne1980:

TNA has some decent talent so I like watching it but some of the story elements (Winter the time travelling lesbian vampire .... no I don't know whats going on there either) are a bit, polite word for utter shit, nope can't think of one.

Wh-wha?

Now this will be fun to try and put into words....

Winter first appeared in mirrors (yes mirrors) and only Angelina Love could see her (come on, we all love shit gimmicks).

Fast forward a bit and Winter is giving Angelina something to drink and has her under a "spell" .... don't worry, it gets worse.

She keeps prattling on about how they were lovers many many years ago (are you still following? I'm still confused with "mirrors" personally).

Fast forward a bit more and they are both drinking "blood" (Gangrel style, chalice an all).

So ther you have it, Winter the time travelling lesbian vampire. And they say gimmicks are dead.

Now instead of trying to explain this gimmick which obviously confused the feth out of the writers as well .... they just dropped it.

http://wrestlersway.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/unresolved-tna-storyline-what-happened.html

Personally I think Doink the Clown was a better gimmick but who am I to say eh?

... okay TNA fans are welcome to join... But that's too stupid for me, and I like Santino and Ryder. I fucking hate TNA.

ElPatron:
Used to watch regularly, eventually forgot about it because most of the people I knew retired.

xSKULLY:
(jokes, please dont flame me)

Funny, because according to the other thread you want to be in the military and you make jokes about man-to-man contact.

hell if you cant laugh at yourself occasionally you're taking life to seriously (IMO)

anyway you gotta admit some of those moves look super gay... rear naked choke come on its all in the name (again jokes)

ProtoChimp:
... okay TNA fans are welcome to join... But that's too stupid for me, and I like Santino and Ryder. I fucking hate TNA.

If you ignore, well, most of the story lines it's not that bad.

Like I say it does have some decent talent. The X-Division is worth watching on it's own. Some of the matches are fantastic to watch.

The Knockouts division has some decent matches every so often as well.

My biggest issue with them is they took some of the best talent they had and knocked them down to mid card for ex WWE folks to take the spot light.

Some of them are great, big fan of Kurt Angle, but I think Rob Van Dam is heavily overrated.

The problem I have with WWE is it's been that long since I actually sat down and got into it that I don't know who some of the bloody folks in it are anymore.

And i'm still confused how Albert is back with yet another gimmick and he still hasn't improved.

Although I do like how HHH doesn't keep putting himself in the limelight .... I almost managed that with a straight face.

Bring back the Boogeyman and all his worm eating goodness.

I just can't forgive what they did to APA. Bradshaw being a complete fethwipe and ole Ron becoming a one line walk on. I used to like APA.

Rawne1980:

ProtoChimp:

If you ignore, well, most of the story lines it's not that bad.

Like I say it does have some decent talent. The X-Division is worth watching on it's own. Some of the matches are fantastic to watch.

The Knockouts division has some decent matches every so often as well.

My biggest issue with them is they took some of the best talent they had and knocked them down to mid card for ex WWE folks to take the spot light.

Some of them are great, big fan of Kurt Angle, but I think Rob Van Dam is heavily overrated.

The problem I have with WWE is it's been that long since I actually sat down and got into it that I don't know who some of the bloody folks in it are anymore.

And i'm still confused how Albert is back with yet another gimmick and he still hasn't improved.

Although I do like how HHH doesn't keep putting himself in the limelight .... I almost managed that with a straight face.

Bring back the Boogeyman and all his worm eating goodness.

I just can't forgive what they did to APA. Bradshaw being a complete fethwipe and ole Ron becoming a one line walk on. I used to like APA.

Preaching to the choir my brudda about the APA. At least Ron Simmons is now in the hall of fame. I also used to like the Motor City Machine Guns, I heard they got back together, please tell me that's true. Oh and Beer Money, really liked them. My problem with TNA is that it relies on WWE's success for their own success, which means they are devauling their own company by admitting they aren't as good (like what you said about having ex WWE wrestlers on the top card), devauluing their own talent for ex WWE wrestlers and for some, lets face it, old men who just don't have it in them anymore when some, hell maybe even alot, of their own guys who are young and never were in WWE are fantastic, they spend too much time talking and not enough time wrestling, and like I said they are relying on old men to bring in newer and older audiences: Never going to work.

Unforunately, the WWE is now doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING, and has become shit. In the same way Bobby Rude (the TNA FUCKING CHAMPION!) is somehow not prominant enough than Hogan, CM Punk and Sheamus (the WWE AND World Heavyweight champion) are not as prominant as John Cena. In fact WWE has done worse for the fact that Rude is at least still the main event while Sheamus and Punk have been knocked down to the fucking mid card, essentially making their titles as important as the IC or US title, that is until Cena, Rock or Lesner has one of them, probably the WWE title. And don't even get me started on them bringing back Brock Lesner.

/rant.

...maybe I'm not the best person to lead a group lol.

SadakoMoose:
Oh my god, you people tried to have another wrestling thread and didn't invite me again!
What is wrong with you?!
Don't you know that SADA is the escapist wrestling guy?

GrimTuesday:

TakerFoxx:
Both. I was am amateur wrestler in high school and enjoy watching it whenever the Winter Olympics roll around

It a Summer Olympic sport, not a winter sport.

I love real wrestling, not the fake shit that you see on TV. I wrestled for 7 years and that has lead to me having an incredible amount of contempt for "professional wrestling" due to the amount of exposure it gets in comparison to real wrestling.

Kurt Angle (Gold, Freestyle '96), Hiroshi Hase (9th, Greco, '84),
Tamon Honda (5th, Freestyle, '84), Brad Rheingans (NCAA North Dakota '75, 4th, Greco '76) Alexandrovich Karelin (Gold, Greco '88, '92, '96), Victor Zangief (Soviet Champ '88),
Salman Hashimikov (6 European and World Championships) Stu Hart (Director of Athletics for Canadian Navy during WW2,)Karl Istaz (Belgian team, '48), Verne Gagne (2 NCAA titles, US Alternate '48) Masa Saito (7th Freestyle, '64)
And yet so many Olympians and NCAA talents seek us out...
I wonder why...

Regnes:
I'm a pretty huge fan of professional wrestling, I fancy I know more about the industry than anybody else on The Escapist.

I challenge you sir!
Who founded Chikara alongside Mike Quackenbush?
Name as many members of the Naptown Dragons/RAAGE Dojo as you can
Hardmode: Who trained them?

Tom Carter aka. Reckless Youth founded Chikara Alongside Mike Quackenbush
And Drake Younger/Scotty Vortekz/Diehard Dustin Lee were all trained by the American Kickboxer as the naptown dragons

Yes im a massive independent wrestling fan :P so CZW/IWA-MS/Chikara questions are no problems :P

Powereaver:

SadakoMoose:
Tamon Honda (5th, Freestyle, '84), Brad Rheingans (NCAA North Dakota '75, 4th, Greco '76) Alexandrovich Karelin (Gold, Greco '88, '92, '96), Victor Zangief (Soviet Champ '88),
Salman Hashimikov (6 European and World Championships) Stu Hart (Director of Athletics for Canadian Navy during WW2,)Karl Istaz (Belgian team, '48), Verne Gagne (2 NCAA titles, US Alternate '48) Masa Saito (7th Freestyle, '64)
I wonder why...

Regnes:
I'm a pretty huge fan of professional wrestling, I fancy I know more about the industry than anybody else on The Escapist.

I challenge you sir!

And Drake Younger/Scotty Vortekz/Diehard Dustin Lee were all trained by the American Kickboxer as the naptown dragons

Yes im a massive independent wrestling fan :P so CZW/IWA-MS/Chikara questions are no problems :P

Okay, you three gotta be admins, I'm the fucking owner and I didn't know that.

ProtoChimp:
Preaching to the choir my brudda about the APA. At least Ron Simmons is now in the hall of fame. I also used to like the Motor City Machine Guns, I heard they got back together, please tell me that's true. Oh and Beer Money, really liked them. My problem with TNA is that it relies on WWE's success for their own success, which means they are devauling their own company by admitting they aren't as good (like what you said about having ex WWE wrestlers on the top card), devauluing their own talent for ex WWE wrestlers and for some, lets face it, old men who just don't have it in them anymore when some, hell maybe even alot, of their own guys who are young and never were in WWE are fantastic, they spend too much time talking and not enough time wrestling, and like I said they are relying on old men to bring in newer and older audiences: Never going to work.

Unforunately, the WWE is now doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING, and has become shit. In the same way Bobby Rude (the TNA FUCKING CHAMPION!) is somehow not prominant enough than Hogan, CM Punk and Sheamus (the WWE AND World Heavyweight champion) are not as prominant as John Cena. In fact WWE has done worse for the fact that Rude is at least still the main event while Sheamus and Punk have been knocked down to the fucking mid card, essentially making their titles as important as the IC or US title, that is until Cena, Rock or Lesner has one of them, probably the WWE title. And don't even get me started on them bringing back Brock Lesner.

/rant.

...maybe I'm not the best person to lead a group lol.

Technically the Machine Guns never split. Chris Sabin got injured and Shelley had a break but yeah, they are both back now and the tag team division (what's left of it) is doing well again.

And that brings me to my other problem. The tag team division. Beer Money were a fantastic team, love em or hate them they were a good team. Hell I even liked it when they teamed Morgan and Crimson, it was like a poor mans Kane and Taker. But they keep splitting them up in stupid story lines.

They had the chance to make Bobby Rude a great champion, but they had to turn him heel and do it in the shittest way possible.

Hogan is wayyyy past his prime for speaking let alone wrestling. But tey won't tell him to sod off. Same with Flair and i'm a huge fan of the Nature Boy. There comes a time when watching wrestlers you once idolised get too old yet refuse to retire.

MMA is the same, we all remember what happened to Ken Shamrock? Yep, he got too old and Tito Ortiz embarrassed him ... 3 times. Don't get me wrong i'm not taking anything away from Tito he is/was (depending who you ask) a great fighter (and entertainer) but Shamrock was a legend in his prime. Tito made him look amateur. It's arguable but I felt bad for Shamrock, he should have just let it drop.

As for Lesner. I though he did pretty well in MMA. He did a lot better than I originally thought he was going to do.

As for his return. Here we'll have to agree to disagree, i'm glad he's back.

I do agree with you about the WWE champs though. I think they made the belts a joke a while back though. The match at Wrestlemania with Bryan and Shaemus lasting 18 bloody seconds.

I remember a while back watching Jericho become the first ever undisputed champion beating Austin and The Rock and it being a great show.

Rawne1980:

ProtoChimp:

Rawne1980:

TNA has some decent talent so I like watching it but some of the story elements (Winter the time travelling lesbian vampire .... no I don't know whats going on there either) are a bit, polite word for utter shit, nope can't think of one.

Wh-wha?

Winter first appeared in mirrors (yes mirrors) and only Angelina Love could see her (come on, we all love shit gimmicks).

Fast forward a bit and Winter is giving Angelina something to drink and has her under a "spell" .... don't worry, it gets worse.

She keeps prattling on about how they were lovers many many years ago (are you still following? I'm still confused with "mirrors" personally).

Fast forward a bit more and they are both drinking "blood" (Gangrel style, chalice an all).

So ther you have it, Winter the time travelling lesbian vampire. And they say gimmicks are dead.

Now instead of trying to explain this gimmick which obviously confused the feth out of the writers as well .... they just dropped it.

http://wrestlersway.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/unresolved-tna-storyline-what-happened.html

Better than her incest gimmick.

I occasionally watch the highlights on WWE.com. But this John Laurinitis guy? Can go fuck himself. I don't care if it's acting, he makes feel rage with that dying throat of his. When there's this, this makes me happy.

Hmm, could I be a fan...?

It's "interesting" to maintain viewing diligence when you get the shows late and everyone keeps posting results and/or live discussion.

ProtoChimp:

Powereaver:

SadakoMoose:
I wonder why...

I challenge you sir!

I forgot about xOMGx as part of the naptown dragons *slaps forehead* how could i forget him! :D

SaneAmongInsane:

Rawne1980:

ProtoChimp:
Wh-wha?

what? WHAT!?

Broady Brio:
I occasionally watch the highlights on WWE.com. But this John Laurinitis guy? Can go fuck himself. I don't care if it's acting, he makes feel rage with that dying throat of his. When there's this, this makes me happy.

He's a terrible actor and as insufferable as he is in the rin- I refuse to say that. As insufferable as he is on the show (he doesn't deserve to be in the ring, or the show) he is 10 times that much of a despicable cunt in real life.

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

Rawne1980:

what? WHAT!?

Her and Paul Burchil did an incest gimmick that sadly/thankly never got off the ground because a month later they went PG.

Remember? Katie Lee Burchil? Same chick

SaneAmongInsane:

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

what? WHAT!?

Her and Paul Burchil did an incest gimmick that sadly/thankly never got off the ground because a month later they went PG.

Oh God now I remember! I thought they were just weirdly close. Shit my brother would call them the incest twins, and we would laugh but I didn't think they were actually gonna do that- AAAAAAHHHHH!! Wait when was this? When, and also why did they go PG, I figured it was 'cause of he who shall not be name- fuck it, Benoit.

Powereaver:

ProtoChimp:

Powereaver:

I forgot about xOMGx as part of the naptown dragons *slaps forehead* how could i forget him! :D

And AKB 2, oh and sometimes Hy Zaya as a part of the RAAGE Dojo.
Great to meet someone else who's a big indy fan!
I live like half an hour away from the new CZW Dragon's Den, so I've been watching more classic CZW/IWA in preparation : D

I've been a wrestling mark for almost 30 years now. I was big into the old NWA stuff in the mid/late 80's. Funny, since they where mostly a Southern market and I live way up North. Thank goodness for TBS and the Apter magazines.

SadakoMoose:

Powereaver:

ProtoChimp:

And AKB 2, oh and sometimes Hy Zaya as a part of the RAAGE Dojo.
Great to meet someone else who's a big indy fan!
I live like half an hour away from the new CZW Dragon's Den, so I've been watching more classic CZW/IWA in preparation : D

I was only watching CZW Yesterday with Best of the Best happening once again .. and looking forward to Drake vs Sami upcoming that should be good. And ive watched most CZW from their history only the rare show pops up i havent seen.. and IWA ive seen a lot of as well.. still missing some classic shows though like Hero vs Cannon I Quit.. the awesome match i never got to see with some other good matches off the card.. TLC for one for the Lightweight Title

Rawne1980:

I do agree with you about the WWE champs though. I think they made the belts a joke a while back though. The match at Wrestlemania with Bryan and Shaemus lasting 18 bloody seconds.

Real quick, I thought that match actually worked well in putting an exclamation point on Bryan being a self-absorbed bitch. However, I agree with the overall point. I really enjoy watching CM Punk and Sheamus and it pisses me the fuck off that they aren't getting their due. I blame Cena for that though. He's become so marketable that I think it's actually hurting the company now.

My biggest pet peeve has got to be the diva matches though. Probably two or three of them can actually wrestle decently and the rest, the ones they always fucking feature, have no god damn business having matches. Diva matches blow chode and they need to either stop doing them or replace 80% of the roster.

LetalisK:
Real quick, I thought that match actually worked well in putting an exclamation point on Bryan being a self-absorbed bitch. However, I agree with the overall point. I really enjoy watching CM Punk and Sheamus and it pisses me the fuck off that they aren't getting their due. I blame Cena for that though. He's become so marketable that I think it's actually hurting the company now.

My biggest pet peeve has got to be the diva matches though. Probably two or three of them can actually wrestle decently and the rest, the ones they always fucking feature, have no god damn business having matches. Diva matches blow chode and they need to either stop doing them or replace 80% of the roster.

I actually quite liked Cena when he first appeared. The Ruthless Agression era and slapping him in with Angle as his first match. He didn't win but it paved the way.

The whole thing he had with Lesner was a decent rivalry as well.

But then came Super Cena, he couldn't lose. It got old really fast.

If anyone remembers that far back they did the same with The Rock when he was Rocky Miavia. Pushed him so hard as a good guy but, fortunately, the fans didn't go for it and we got The Rock.

As for the womens division, I couldn't agree more.

Over the years they have had some fantastic wrestlers in the womens division. Even those that didn't wrestle much were fun to watch. We went from the likes of Sable, Luna and Debbie to Chyna, Lita, Trish and Victoria and then it all started to go wrong. A lot of them got pissed off with the whole "bra and panties" style matches and left. Some characters creative fucked over completely (Lita) and they went with the whole "Diva Search" thing which seemed to go off looks rather than speaking and in ring talent.

Don't get me wrong, a bit of eye candy is great .... just don't give the eye candy a mic or any ring time.

Rawne1980:
Don't get me wrong, a bit of eye candy is great .... just don't give the eye candy a mic or any ring time.

Bring back managers, valets, and stables, and we'll be right. image

Rawne1980:

But then came Super Cena, he couldn't lose. It got old really fast.

Same thing started to happen with Orton. I'm glad they got soundly defeated(I believe more than once) by CM Punk and Mark Henry respectively, but I have a feeling Lesnar is going to be Cena's "big comeback" and I'm going to be pissed.

Edit: I should also point out I don't dislike Cena, even now. I just think the company is using him as a crutch and it's hurting the company in the long run.

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

ProtoChimp:
what? WHAT!?

Oh God now I remember! I thought they were just weirdly close. Shit my brother would call them the incest twins, and we would laugh but I didn't think they were actually gonna do that- AAAAAAHHHHH!! Wait when was this? When, and also why did they go PG, I figured it was 'cause of he who shall not be name- fuck it, Benoit.

Two reasons they went PG.

1. Linda McMahon running for a seat in the senate.

2. They've essentially lost most of the attitude era fanbase and instead of trying to recapture old fans interest, it's easier to cultivate a new fanbase out of kids.. Those of us who haven't moved on aren't going anywhere

SaneAmongInsane:

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

2. They've essentially lost most of the attitude era fanbase and instead of trying to recapture old fans interest, it's easier to cultivate a new fanbase out of kids.. Those of us who haven't moved on aren't going anywhere

Ahh, makes sense. Plus there's nothing wrong with PG wrestling anyway. Less blood (don't really care, unless its Hell in a cell or street fight) and no bra and panties matches (lets the Divas show off their skills... the ones who have skills) and some other things I don't care about. I just wish the storylines wern't retarded sometimes.

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

ProtoChimp:

Ahh, makes sense. Plus there's nothing wrong with PG wrestling anyway. Less blood (don't really care, unless its Hell in a cell or street fight) and no bra and panties matches (lets the Divas show off their skills... the ones who have skills) and some other things I don't care about. I just wish the storylines wern't retarded sometimes.

True. It depends on the writing quality and the character. I only caught on to the tail end of the peak of the attitude era (Smackdown's Debut-Onward) so I completely missed the "rise" of Stone Cold... Actually I really loathed him when I was in like 3rd grade. I hated him even more when he feuded with Rikishi, I may of been the only WWF fan at the time cheering for that fat samoan over Austin.

Yet now? I watch those old shows on the WWE On Demand? I'm a huge Stone Cold mark. Just hits that right cord for me.

Just the same, I'm really digging CM Punk, I just wish they focused more of the show on him like they did with Steve back in the day. I think the fans really connect with this wise-cracking tiny yet ass kicking wrestler that isn't afraid to stand toe to toe with Juggernauts like Mark Henry. I'm DYING at this point to see a CM Punk/Lesnar feud, just cause you know Punk wouldn't just get beat like a bitch like Rey Mysterio.

I do miss the raunch and the tabooness of the attitude era though... Mean okay, I was a kid so maybe nothing will ever match these moments, but I remember being mind-fucked when Big Bossman fed Al Snow's dog (Pepper) to him and the ever promised idea of titties on TV. It just felt like ANYTHING could happen back then. Now, maybe it's because I'm jaded in old age plus I've spent some time training to be a wrestler, it's just not the same. Not enough surprises in wrestling these days.

The divas division... I've always been on the opinion that either do women's wrestling right or don't bother doing it. Watched some ARISON tapes from Japan, mind blowing shit and sexy as fuck.

SaneAmongInsane:

I do miss the raunch and the tabooness of the attitude era though... Mean okay, I was a kid so maybe nothing will ever match these moments, but I remember being mind-fucked when Big Bossman fed Al Snow's dog (Pepper) to him and the ever promised idea of titties on TV..

*tries to hold laughter* sorry but the whole pepper incident was just too retarded for words for me. And that match they had with like 2 cages and loads of dogs in between, and then the dogs started shitting and fucking on live tv. But titties... ok I can work with titties.

SaneAmongInsane:
snip

Also, what is this ARISON?

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

I do miss the raunch and the tabooness of the attitude era though... Mean okay, I was a kid so maybe nothing will ever match these moments, but I remember being mind-fucked when Big Bossman fed Al Snow's dog (Pepper) to him and the ever promised idea of titties on TV..

*tries to hold laughter* sorry but the whole pepper incident was just too retarded for words for me. And that match they had with like 2 cages and loads of dogs in between, and then the dogs started shitting and fucking on live tv. But titties... ok I can work with titties.

Dude I was like in 3rd grade at the time, and I was in the middle of eating a Tuna on rye when they aired that angle. Fucking hated Big Bossman for that. I was so happy when the next week, British Bulldog won the Hardcore title off him and gave it to Al Snow.

ARISON was a short lived(?) all female wrestling promotion in Japan. You can still find their DVDs on HighSpots.com. If you just want to see (mostly) hot women wrestle and do some amazing shit (the DVD I have has a tag team ecw-style brawl as the mainevent) check it out.

SaneAmongInsane:

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

Dude I was like in 3rd grade at the time, and I was in the middle of eating a Tuna on rye when they aired that angle. Fucking hated Big Bossman for that. I was so happy when the next week, British Bulldog won the Hardcore title off him and gave it to Al Snow.

ARISON was a short lived(?) all female wrestling promotion in Japan. You can still find their DVDs on HighSpots.com. If you just want to see (mostly) hot women wrestle and do some amazing shit (the DVD I have has a tag team ecw-style brawl as the mainevent) check it out.

Sorry I didn't mean to be a cunt, I've only just heard of that Big Bossman thing like a week ago. Sorry.

This is worth a look:

SaneAmongInsane:

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

Don't forget about the tragic Chris Benoit double murder suicide helped a lot with the PG rating.

I'm also a huge fan WWE and been watching since 95' and when WCW was a thing in the late 90's. Nice to see other fans on the forum!

ProtoChimp:

SaneAmongInsane:

ProtoChimp:

Sorry I didn't mean to be a cunt, I've only just heard of that Big Bossman thing like a week ago. Sorry.

lol I didn't take offense, sir. Also, yeah the Kennel from hell match went about as badly as it sounded, but I never watched PPVs back then.

That's not being a cunt... now the girl on Twitter I got into a flame war with because she made a crack about wrestling being fake after that brutal Taker/HHH match from Wrestlemania... That's being a cunt! And I properly told her so. :)

eyepatchdreams:

SaneAmongInsane:

ProtoChimp:

Don't forget about the tragic Chris Benoit double murder suicide helped a lot with the PG rating.

I'm also a huge fan WWE and been watching since 95' and when WCW was a thing in the late 90's. Nice to see other fans on the forum!

Very true. I imagine any casual fans that were left stopped watching after that. I mean after all, how could any of us hold our heads up high after the industry was crucified in the media like it was. Taught us all a good lesson though, if the media presents facts like "He was demotted from the Four Horsemen to Raw" it really makes you wonder about the other shit they report on.

This is my favorite thread on escapist... do we actually have a community going yet?

I'm thinking about creating a user group for Wrestling fans. Anybody like that idea?

eyepatchdreams:
I'm thinking about creating a user group for Wrestling fans. Anybody like that idea?

Like this one, you mean?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked