Cop goes to wrong house, shoots owners dog.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

DaKiller:

He should not have had his weapon drawn on someone who is unarmed and walking out of a different house than the one he received the call for and even accidents have consequences, I know because when I've done something bad by accident I still end up in trouble.

You talk as if he knew that he was walking into the wrong house.

When the context is a weapon being fired, professionals should be held to a standard as close to perfection as possible.

there's no such thing as an 'acceptable mistake' when using lethal force.

Abandon4093:

Then the blame lies with whoever gave him incorrect information.

However you slice it, an innocent man has lost his dog. The fact that it was the wrong house is the crux of the issue, it's certainly not irrelevant. All that's left to do is appropriately place blame.

No, it's entirely irrelevant. It doesn't matter that he was at the wrong house. What does matter is what happened there.

Incidentally, the incorrect address came from the complainant who called 911 in the first place.

Shawn MacDonald:
Oh my god a human being made a mistake, you are kidding me. Yeah I thought the rest of us are perfect. That is the final straw, time to make a "lets kill all cops thread." May your torches burn bright and your pitchforks pointy, it's cop killing time. Everyone on this planet signed a pact to be perfect, I won't stand a glitch in the system. Almost can't type right now because my perfect world is falling apart. Lets put the joking aside and say he made a mistake, will probably feel bad for a long time.

Please put down the weapon and back away from that strawman, sir.

Seriously, "we're not perfect" is not a sufficient defense. And really, is ANYONE extolling the perfection of humanity here?

No?

Huh.

Zachary Amaranth:

Shawn MacDonald:
Oh my god a human being made a mistake, you are kidding me. Yeah I thought the rest of us are perfect. That is the final straw, time to make a "lets kill all cops thread." May your torches burn bright and your pitchforks pointy, it's cop killing time. Everyone on this planet signed a pact to be perfect, I won't stand a glitch in the system. Almost can't type right now because my perfect world is falling apart. Lets put the joking aside and say he made a mistake, will probably feel bad for a long time.

Seriously, "we're not perfect" is not a sufficient defense. And really, is ANYONE extolling the perfection of humanity here?

No?

Huh.

Ignore him, he's gone into full on troll mode on this thread because people called him out.

OT: Cop should not have had his gun out when he entered the house. Pure and simple. He overreacted, which is irresponsible as an officer of the law.

Zachary Amaranth:

Shawn MacDonald:

No?

Huh.

Okay I have taken strawman hostage. You ever want to see him alive again, must kickstarter my idea for a survival horror game. The money will be dropped off in front of the building with the giant eagle on it. Making jokes on here man. Everyone should just calm down and take a deep breath. All I got to say is that I have made huge mistakes. Little sense of humor goes a long way in a cruel and judgemental world.

The officer should be discharged, usually they can play the "he felt threatened" card, but he entered a domestic dispute ready to use deadly force. That is NOT standard protocol for an officer.

Shawn MacDonald:
There you go mod bait. Get that anger out. So how are things going with you mod bait? Everything going good in life. Hows school going mod bait?

I'm sorry, Mod Bait? That's not nearly as clever or as insulting as you think it is. And neither are you.

evilneko:

Abandon4093:

Then the blame lies with whoever gave him incorrect information.

However you slice it, an innocent man has lost his dog. The fact that it was the wrong house is the crux of the issue, it's certainly not irrelevant. All that's left to do is appropriately place blame.

No, it's entirely irrelevant. It doesn't matter that he was at the wrong house. What does matter is what happened there.

Incidentally, the incorrect address came from the complainant who called 911 in the first place.

The fact that it was the wrong house is the entire reason why this is an issue. If the officer had shot the dog of the person he was actually after, then an innocent man's dog would not have been shot.

The fact that the officer went to the wrong house is the entire reason why an innocent man suffered. The man did nothing to warrant a visit from the police, thereby putting him in a situation where his dog may be shot for the justification of the officer's safety. So an innocent man's dog was shot because of an error. Therefore there is blame to be placed. It certainly does not lie with the man who lost a dog, it's debatable whether it lies with the officer (who from the recording did seem a little eager to shoot.). It much more fairly lies with the person who phoned in the inaccurate information.

There are probably many blames to be shared about. But to say that him going to the wrong house is irrelevant is completely incorrect.

Purtabo:

Shawn MacDonald:
There you go mod bait. Get that anger out. So how are things going with you mod bait? Everything going good in life. Hows school going mod bait?

I'm sorry, Mod Bait? That's not nearly as clever or as insulting as you think it is. And neither are you.

I am not insulting you mod bait. You didn't answer my questions. How is everything going mod bait? Tell me a story of how it all began for you.

KeyMaster45:

You talk as if he knew that he was walking into the wrong house.

He certainly went in with his weapon drawn with no signs of disturbance (at least audibly; in fact, it kind of sounds like he set the dog off). Very much sounds like there probably should have been a clue or two in all that.

having listen to the video and the whole type from the police car the officer littler shout "show me your hands" the dog barks and man asks why he is there. then the officer says something about the dog and then fires. All in the span of about 3 seconds that all happened. There is no video of the incident but from the sounds of it someone need a serious retraining in how to approach this type or situation.

I understand cop can't wait to be attacked but 2 seconds from warning to shoots fired is BS. I don't have a dog but i feel this is pretty close to lawsuit territory. whats next Cops are gonna start shooting suspects on sight too?

Also who was suppose to confirm the address? and why did the cop go it gun at the ready for a domestic dispute?

Shawn MacDonald:

Such a special little boy.

Relevant:

As others have said, humans aren't perfect. But, when it comes to the use of lethal force, perfection HAS to be expected. Mistakes in this area are unacceptable.

You know I haven't read all the details on this but I notice everyone is giving the officer crap when typically the dispatcher is the one who tells them where to go. How do we know the dispatcher didn't send him to the wrong address? If so, it is more the dispatchers fault than the officers.
However, it is strange for an officer to go into a possible domestic situation with a weapon drawn and alone. That is not how we do it in my department anyway. Something like that only immediately escalates a situation.

Fawxy:

Shawn MacDonald:

Relevant:

As others have said, humans aren't perfect. But, when it comes to the use of lethal force, perfection HAS to be expected. Mistakes in this area are unacceptable.

Well thank you. Mod bait thanks you. We are just trying to spread the love. Times are tough, gas prices are high, there is no special place for little boys anymore. I take that back, wait here while I go ask mod bait.

anthony87:

OT: Part of me wants to say "Idiot cop" and leave it at that but I suppose he did believe that he was in the correct house. As tragic as it is, it's not like he just randomly shoots dogs. I mean, if it had in fact been the correct house then people wouldn't care so much.

I don't condone what he did but I understand why he did it.

They would still care, but they would not blame the cop for the dog's death, they would blame the owner.

I have no idea why the Officer went into what he thought was a domestic dispute with his gun drawn. Cops in America are too quick to pull out their little friend. Domestic Disputes happen in the UK too yet SOMEHOW they manage to deal with it without needing so much as a baton in their hands, let alone a deadly weapon.

What happened to knocking on the door, and attempting diplomacy first?

And so what if the dog was barking? Even moving towards him? Unless the Officer believed the owner had given the Dog an order to attack then he should draw upon the common knowledge that thats just what dogs do. Had that cop never encountered a dog before? My friends have dogs that bark when someone so much as steps on the driveway, that will charge at the door when there's a visitor; Thats just Canine behaviour and its not aggressive at all.

Even if he'd gone to the right house his behaviour is more than questionable.

RicoGrey:

They would still care, but they would not blame the cop for the dog's death, they would blame the owner.

I think you just managed to sum up my point quite concisely. Well done.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

OT: Cop should not have had his gun out when he entered the house. Pure and simple. He overreacted, which is irresponsible as an officer of the law.

Its a very good thing you are not in any sort of dangerous profession cause you wouldn't last two days.

Walking into a potentially dangerous situation without being prepared for it is not exactly a survival trait.

Clive Howlitzer:
You know I haven't read all the details on this but I notice everyone is giving the officer crap when typically the dispatcher is the one who tells them where to go. How do we know the dispatcher didn't send him to the wrong address? If so, it is more the dispatchers fault than the officers.

it wasn't the dispatcher, the person asking for an officer messed up the adress

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I think police officers need to stop shooting dogs.

/thread

Pretty much that actually . i don't know what else to add

Well, here's my two cents... if you're entering a house alone, and a good-sized dog threatens to attack you while the human owner is there... that is a situation that could actually kill you. If that dog gets up on you and gets your gun hand, the human owner can finish you off incredibly easily if he's hostile. I absolutely believe that the officer pulled his trigger in self-defense.

That said, the officer should never have been in that situation. Ignoring for the moment that he showed up to the wrong house (as that could be the error of the person making the call), you should never respond to a domestic incident alone. As I hear it, the troubled couple often bands together against the officers even if there is a victim... people are funny like that. Therefore, at least two officers should have been dispatched. With two officers there, the situation wouldn't have been nearly as threatening, and the thought "If this dog gets a hold of me, I'm dead" would never have entered his mind.

I once had some officers knocking at my door thanks to my annoying screaming neighbors, and there were four of them responding to my tiny, one-exit apartment. Even were I not a law-abiding citizen, I wasn't going to try a damn thing... their numbers easily kept tensions down.

As importantly, you don't respond to a POSSIBLE incident with gun in hand... or if you do, you certainly don't have it raised and ready to fire. No, you ask politely for permission to enter, you come in with two officers and you let the people there know, indirectly through body language and tone, that you will shoot them if they try anything stupid BUT there is no reason, at all, that things need to become unpleasant. You don't escalate to holding them at gunpoint unless you know they have weapons or you see a dead body or something... a friendly chat should always be your first resort. Incidentally, this approach would have left the owner free to calm his dog, and probably wouldn't have triggered the poor animal's fight or flight response to begin with.

Now, my guess is that the officer KNEW he shouldn't be there alone (not his fault, orders and all that), was feeling vulnerable, and was trying to compensate with an overly aggressive stance. He shouldn't have been put in that situation, and he should have handled it better.

As for actually pulling the trigger, though? At that point, he had no better option, having already helped paint himself into a corner.

People are real quick these days to jump on police officers when these types of stories are so few and far between. There are thousands of Police officers in the united states, many that put there lives in danger so we don't have to deal with drug dealers, rapists, murderers, thieves, child molesters and anarachy.

I think it's something as a nation we have taken for granted. And then when a nutjob does something stupid, we as a society jump on the group as a whole.

It's highly disappointing to see the state we've come to as a people.

Shawn MacDonald:

Fawxy:

Shawn MacDonald:

Relevant:

Well thank you. Mod bait thanks you. We are just trying to spread the love. Times are tough, gas prices are high, there is no special place for little boys anymore. I take that back, wait here while I go ask mod bait.

Why do you keep this up? This is futile. Are you really so bored that you have nothing better to do than to make pitiful attempts at bothering people over the Internet? Or are you misguided enough to actually believe that you are accomplishing something?

The force had better fucking pay for damages and emotional strain.

Dogs are fucking expensive, and this trigger-happy cop just cost him thousands and thousands.

If those are paid for *in full* with an additional amount for the amount of time they just wasted, then I can say that the cop is able to keep his job. Either that, or strip the cop of his powers.

The_Critic:
People are real quick these days to jump on police officers when these types of stories are so few and far between. There are thousands of Police officers in the united states, many that put there lives in danger so we don't have to deal with drug dealers, rapists, murderers, thieves, child molesters and anarachy.

I think it's something as a nation we have taken for granted. And then when a nutjob does something stupid, we as a society jump on the group as a whole.

It's highly disappointing to see the state we've come to as a people.

The problem isn't that some cops abuse their authority once in awhile.

The problem is that THE VAST MAJORITY OF THEM FACE NO PUNISHMENT WHATSOEVER, or such a disproportionate punishment compared to what a citizen would get, when they should get as harsh or more-harsh of a punishment since they were trusted with authority to begin with.

Purtabo:

Shawn MacDonald:

stop responding, don't feed the troll. report and move on.

I keep seeing the excuse of "well, it's not like he knew the dog was harmless" except that the citizen kept shouting that it was...but what kind of reasoning is that?? I could say that for any situation that included violence. Should we shoot every person during an arrest just because they could be a deadly threat?
Cops are not getting trained on reasonable reaction. They get it drilled into their heads that every situation could kill them and for that reason, anything goes.

When you start issuing things like predator drones to policemen http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/12/12/domestic_drones_north_dakota_police_use_predator_spy_plane_to_arrest_suspects.html
then it's only to be expected that they will have extreme reactions mild situations. I'm not saying that being a cop isn't dangerous at all but bounds of reason here. What's next, taser granny just because she could be carrying some kind of weapon? Oh wait, WE'VE ALREADY DONE THAT!

Purtabo:

Shawn MacDonald:

Fawxy:

Relevant:

Why do you keep this up? This is futile. Are you really so bored that you have nothing better to do than to make pitiful attempts at bothering people over the Internet? Or are you misguided enough to actually believe that you are accomplishing something?

You started it mod bait.

1. You made fun of my spelling
2. You called me immature
3. You called me a prissy brat
4. You got me in trouble

Now your mad because I call you mod bait. Sorry mod bait, there is no turning back.

Shawn MacDonald:

Purtabo:

Shawn MacDonald:

You started it mod bait.

4. You got me in trouble

Now your mad because I call you mod bait. Sorry mod bait, there is no turning back.

You're not doing much to prove him wrong on 2 and 3. And if you keep going you're probably going to get in more trouble.

I mean, I've seen my fair share of people who didn't know how to bow out gracefully. But you're taking things a little far at the minute.

That's all I've got to say on the matter, really mate. Just calm down and stop stirring shit for no apparent reason.

Shawn MacDonald:

You started it mod bait.

4. You got me in trouble

Decent, but absolutely nothing compared to Zeel.
5/10
Troll better.

FelixG:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Its a very good thing you are not in any sort of dangerous profession cause you wouldn't last two days.

Walking into a potentially dangerous situation without being prepared for it is not exactly a survival trait.

A domestic disturbance does not call for the use of lethal force.

.No.:

Shawn MacDonald:

You started it mod bait.

4. You got me in trouble

5/10
Troll better.

Okay so who is Zeel? Yeah that name has popped up alot recently. The trolling part is both of our faults. Make up with him eventually. Even a troll needs work with the economy the way it is. Alright so I am all ears. Lets discuss Zeel, hit me with it brother, lol.

.No.:

Shawn MacDonald:

You started it mod bait.

4. You got me in trouble

5/10
Troll better.

Please...

3/10

I've seen better trolling from a 5th grader. Replacing pronouns with insult? I thought trolling had evolved beyond that.

Abandon4093:

Shawn MacDonald:

Purtabo:

You started it mod bait.

4. You got me in trouble

You're not doing much to prove him wrong on 2 and 3. And if you keep going you're probably going to get in more trouble.

I mean, I've seen my fair share of people who didn't know how to bow out gracefully. But you're taking things a little far at the minute.

That's all I've got to say on the matter, really mate. Just calm down and stop stirring shit for no apparent reason.

Okay your right. You know blame is a two way street. The problem with alot of people is that they think they have done nothing wrong. Made my peace with it and yeah I was trying to get a rise out of him. Every time I talked to him, he said he did nothing wrong. Alright with people being assholes in a joking manner. Like it when people own up to what they did.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked