Union Jack or Union....Flag?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

FamoFunk:
Couldn't care. Stupid falg that couldn't even include us Welsh >:(

Mmmm, yes, your anguish sustains me.

Daystar Clarion:
Isn't it only called the Union Jack if it's on a ship?

Otherwise it's the Union Flag.

Just another of those little misconceptions that everybody seems to believe, then it turns out it's bollocks.

Heed this Man's words...

For he is Wise.

Its the Union Flag technically, but everyone calls it the Union Jack so either is fine.

FamoFunk:

If you make the dragon on your flag look a bit more awesome then maybe the rest of us will consent to it being placed in the middle of the flag.

A "jack" is a naval flag, but technically the union jack shouldn't be flown from a ship unless a member of the royal family's on board.

I always call it Union jack, it rolls off the tounge better.

Captcha: Magical realism
What a lovley hyperbole!

I don't know anyone, or rather I should say that I've never heard anyone I personally know refer incorrectly to the Union Flag as the Union Jack or vice versa. It doesn't surprise me that there is some confusion amongst some youngsters however; take for example how some children think an 'ass' refers to an arse instead of a donkey, or that 'fag' means homosexual.

I've always called it a Union Jack. If nothing else it originates in the Jacobean era, when the nations of Britain were first united as one kingdom.

Didn't the Doctor Who episode on the London Olympics cover this?

It's flag.

But "rule Britania, Britania rules the seas" and "the sun never sets on the British Empire" led to the popularization of the Jack name since the power of the Empire was its Navy. Now I think most people get that in casual use Union Jack is acceptable by tradition, even if not by definition.

catalyst8:
I don't know anyone, or rather I should say that I've never heard anyone I personally know refer incorrectly to the Union Flag as the Union Jack or vice versa. It doesn't surprise me that there is some confusion amongst some youngsters however; take for example how some children think an 'ass' refers to an arse instead of a donkey, or that 'fag' means homosexual.

We will teach your kids to speak proper English yet :P Next up, its a TRUCK not a lorrie, and its a TRUNK not a bonnet, and a windSHIELD not a windSCREEN

Just watch out though, the Americans will get them spelling colour without a "u".

Union flag sounds like the pussy term. For me it will allways be the Union Jack

James Bowe:
I've always called it a Union Jack. If nothing else it originates in the Jacobean era, when the nations of Britain were first united as one kingdom.

As explained numerous times previously, most recently & succinctly by Technocrat three posts previous to yours:

Technocrat:
A "jack" is a naval flag, but technically the union jack shouldn't be flown from a ship unless a member of the royal family's on board.

catalyst8:

James Bowe:

As explained numerous times previously, most recently & succinctly by Technocrat three posts previous to yours:

Technocrat:

I'm aware of what a naval jack is thanks. I didn't claim this was the etymology, rather a handy bit of symbolism which is brought about by the colloquial name. The more formal name is a bit too dull for my liking.

I was taught that the 'union flag' was the US (Union) flag during the American Civil War (note: stars are in a circle). The UK's flag, at least where I'm from, has always been the Union Jack.

Riku'sTwilight:
Since the new British flag Xbox 360 has been announced, people on Xbox360achievements.org have been debating over whether it is called the Union Jack, or Union Flag.

I'm British/English and honestly for all my 24 years in this country I have never ever heard it be called the Union Flag.
I know where the 'Jack' part of the name comes from (the navy) but since it has been around for a long time, it has been built into this country as the union jack. I honestly don't know a single person who calls it the union flag.

So British people, do you call it the union jack? or the union flag?
American/Rest of World people, what have you heard it called as? and what do you call it yourself?

I have always heard it referred to and called it the Union Jack myself. And then when you factor in that the only reason Great Britain became a world super power in the first place was it's AWESOME navy, I mean you kinda should follow that standard right?

FamoFunk:

And where pray tell do you plan on putting your giant red dragon?

Daystar Clarion:

Just another of those little misconceptions that everybody seems to believe, then it turns out it's bollocks.

^^

/thread

THANK YOU STEPHEN FRY

MorganL4:

Riku'sTwilight:
Since the new British flag Xbox 360 has been announced, people on Xbox360achievements.org have been debating over whether it is called the Union Jack, or Union Flag.

I'm British/English and honestly for all my 24 years in this country I have never ever heard it be called the Union Flag.
I know where the 'Jack' part of the name comes from (the navy) but since it has been around for a long time, it has been built into this country as the union jack. I honestly don't know a single person who calls it the union flag.

So British people, do you call it the union jack? or the union flag?
American/Rest of World people, what have you heard it called as? and what do you call it yourself?

I have always heard it referred to and called it the Union Jack myself. And then when you factor in that the only reason Great Britain became a world super power in the first place was it's AWESOME navy, I mean you kinda should follow that standard right?

FamoFunk:

And where pray tell do you plan on putting your giant red dragon?

Might just be me, but I think the Welsh dragon has a rather...

Phallic tongue?

I always thought that the Union Flag was named Union Jack, in the same way that the American flag in named Old Glory (which is ever more appropriate considering our failings)

I have never seen or heard anyone say Union Flag before, but apparently it has been debated for a long time. Jack, you have my vote.

Anyone else notice that, whenever the flag is used in popular culture, it always appears battered and worn? It seems like they're trying to tell us something...

OT: I've always called it the Union Jack.

As an American I always heard it called the Union Jack or the British Flag. Not any other combination of those words.

To establish: I'm American. Specifically, New York state.

I only know of the distinction because of an episode of Doctor Who (I tried the first three seasons of the new version, got tired of it).

However, even if I were British, I couldn't care less. Flag rules are only useful when an obnoxious and in-your-face "patriot" accidentally disobeys them and you get the opportunity to make them look like an idiot. For example, on one of the anniversaries of 9/11, I saw a guy wearing an American flag like a Superman cape. The VFW has a flag code, and I took great pleasure in telling him that he was breaking three of the rules: He was wearing the flag as an article of clothing; he was letting the flag touch the ground; he didn't set the flag so that the blue section was in the top left corner.

Union Jack if it's at sea or something... but a lot of people ignore that.
Otherwise you may as well just call it 'The British Flag', which honestly sounds considerably better than 'Union Flag'...

It's the Union Jack if you're not a massive bell-end.

It's the Union Flag if you're a pedantic dunce.

NOBODY calls it the Union Flag unless they're trying to win an argument.

I call it the UK flag

Born and raised in America here, and I ALWAYS refer to it as the Union Jack.

FamoFunk:

The Dragons on there it's just quite small and in the center so its easy to miss.

"Union Jack" has been in use officially since like the 1800s over "Union Flag", I thought. "Union Flag" sounds stupid, so I'm not too fussed about the pedantics.

Riku'sTwilight:
-snip-

From Wikipedia:

Its official name is Union Flag, the term "Jack" came from before 1600 for the maritime bow flag.

So its Called the Union Flag and the Union Jack, but only Union Jack if its at sea/on a boat.

..... also, only an idiot flies it upside down.

I think they should call it the Union Jack, because living in the US thats how I hear it called whens meone talks about it. When I hear the Union Flag, it brings up in my mind the US flag from 1859-1866.

No wgranted my friend was only in the UK once for three months and never talked about the flag so i dont know what its really called over there and can Only ask my ex girlfriends British boyfriend his opinion. And he said its called the UnionJack as all one word.

EDIT:

MorganL4:
snip

Personally I would take out one of the corners and put it in there if the country's willing to make an honest effoft at it.

if it is small and affixed to a boat it is a union jack

if it is displayed on a large pole it is the 'Union Flag'

bare in mind, union flag is a symbol of the united kingdom you could legitimately call it the
'uk flag' as-well if you really wanted to, bar just being lazy it carry's the same symbolism

in all honesty it makes zero difference it's just down to semantics

but if it is not on a boat 'Union flag' would be my preference

Union Jack,

because that's the name of the flag. It's a union flag (not really), but its name is the Union Jack.

I too, have never head it being called the union flag.

Daystar Clarion:

FamoFunk:

Daystar Clarion:

Yeeees.

Yeeeeeeeeeeees, you're tears are like sweet drops of heaven.

Sleep with one eye open, bro. Your time here is slowly coming to an end.

RELEASE THE SHEEP!!

Oh no, not the sheep, whatever will I do to the stop the sheep.

Oh look, an oven.

It's a trick Daystar, a welshman would never let a sheep out of his bedroom. They're buggers to catch again. xP

English bloke here:

I always called it the British flag, does that make me weird?

Daystar Clarion:

Your absolutely correct. However since the name Union Jack has been the common usage since the 19th Century it is perfectly acceptable to use it as the name for the British flag.

If you change it to "Union Flag" then he'll have to change his name to "Flag Staff" which just sounds silly.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked