43% (179)
43% (179)
No
56.3% (234)
56.3% (234)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: So a man walks into a bar...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

In this hypothetical situation I am a multi-billionaire so instead I would just laugh at him.

It reminds me of a (probably apocryphal) story about Churchill. He was at a party and asked a lady "would you sleep with me for $1 million", to which she said yes. He then said something along the lines of "Good, here's 5, meet me in the hotel room".
She then gets indignant and protests "What kind of women do you think I am?!", to which he replies "That has already been established my lady, now we are merely haggling over price".

That poorly remembered story is my roundabout way of saying that you could shove your money where the son don't shine. I am not that sort of person.

Definatly it would be like taking candy from a baby.

I'd probably wrestle with the answer for a while before taking him up on the offer.
$5 000 000 is a lot of money, you may have had to take one life to get it, but once you have the money you could save hundreds.

Umm No..... I have this thing called a conscience which would eat at me until I walked into a police station and surrendered my self, and then it would still eat at me in my prison cell.

Nope. Not even if there was a chance of not being caught. Why not? Because Karma is a major beeaaahhhch.

Nuff said.

I could if the man with the briefcase would be the one that I have to kill.

Give me the money and your target is as good as dead.

Id kill for that money so I could never work again

Yeah, I would.

I've stopped caring about my fellow man long ago. Everyone's life is different, and plays out in drastically different ways, but mine apparently decided to show me time and again just how painful and foolish it is to trust in others. If this hypothetical situation ever came up in reality, I would take it and complete the task and never lose a wink of sleep. My goal of furthering myself far outweighs any arbitrary moral conundrum.

Sure, why not. I could use 5 mil.

6th And Silver:

Abandon4093:

Human nature would like a word with you.

People murder for a lot less, every day. You'd be surprised what people would do for that kind of money when push comes to shove.

I'm so glad you said that. See, the great thing about "human nature" is that it's a totally nebulous concept. So however I choose to view human nature is just as valid as your view.

Yea because things like statistics are just hooey ay?

If I want to view human nature as chocolate drops and sunshine, or as an entire race of Hitler like psychos. Well both of those opinions are valid aren't they?

Human nature isn't whatever you want it to be. The majority of us follow very predictable patterns. Because certain things are in our nature, we do them because we're hard wired to do so.

For instance it's human nature to seek companionship, whether sexual or social. We are colony creatures.

Another steadfast of human nature is self preservation, the majority of us would do whatever we could to stay alive.

Certain things are just in our nature, whether you like that or not is irrelevant.

Anyway, if we're really going to get into a debate about the inherent nature of humanity, I would also like to point out that if it was our "nature" to kill each other, we would obviously have gone extinct quite some time ago.

It's not in our nature to kill each other indiscriminately, but a quick glance at our history should show you that, as a rule, we don't need that much justification to kill each other.

Monetary gain happens to rank very highly on that list off acceptable justifications.

We may consciously view such behaviour as morally reprehensible. But you'll often find that our self imposed morality is at complete odds with our true nature.

Now it is true that we aren't simply products of our baser desires. We've managed to impose codes of morality that override our nature for the betterment of all our lives (for the most part). But situational extremes often allow our nature to rear it's ugly head again and take ahold of the gears once more.

Extremes where our lives are at stake, or less honourably, where the prospect of considerable rise in social standing or large monetary gain are on the table.

Simply put, until you've been in a situation where you're faced with the prospect of such a life changing upheaval. You have no idea whether you'd be able to keep your nature in check.

Statistically, a lot don't. Hence why our prisons are so full of people who committed crimes of opportunity.

Yes, in a heartbeat.
There's no chance of being caught, you don't know the target, all you have to do is dirty your hands a little.
It's essentially free, risk-proof money; who wouldn't want that?

VonKlaw:

Abandon4093:
Is this gonna be a 'box' type thing. Where the next person to accept the money has to kill me... etc.

I was thinking of this example too when I read the OP - anyone that randomly hurls out $5 million in bars to strangers for killing someone clearly has a plan.

Exactly, it makes for some brilliant poetic justice.

You are told to kill a person seemingly at random, but it's actually the last person who accepted the offer.

The situation always comes full circle.

There's always a catch, especially when dealing with someone so obviously twisted as the person making the offer.

I have to say though, that's the only warning bell that would probably have gone off in my head. Faced with the prospect of 5-mil... I'm not sure what I'd choose, but I know the first thing I'd think is 'how is this going to come back and bite me in the ass?'

And deal with all the people wanting their share of my 5mil? No thank you!

But seriously, my tastes aren't so expensive that I'd be tempted by his offer. I'd pass and watch my back as I leave the place. You just can't trust a guy trying to pay strangers to kill other strangers.

no i have a Conscience
in your hypothetical situation could get away with but i would living in a prison of my own guilt
so it is not worth it

Reginald:
I've that episode of the Twilight Zone (the one with the button), so no.

i remember reading that button story in high school
i have Conscience and i also don't trust the guy now not to pull crap like that
still no

Tufty94:
So a man walks into a bar holding a briefcase and he sits down right next to you. You guys start talking and you find out the case contains five million US dollars. He tells you that it's all your's if you do him just one favour. He wants you to kill someone. You don't know the person, you don't know anything about them and there is no chance of getting caught. Would you go for it?

Well, there's no chance of getting caught? Done, without question.

Sorry to disappoint you all. Especially the people I don't know who may have someone willing to pay 5 million USD to kill him or her.

If i get to choose who to kill and there's no fine print such as the next guy to accept the offer has to kill you then i would almost certainly accept the offer.

Oh hell yeah. No chance of getting caught, five mil in the bank? Never work another day in my life? This motherfucker is deeeeaaaad.

Tufty94:
So a man walks into a bar holding a briefcase and he sits down right next to you. You guys start talking and you find out the case contains five million US dollars. He tells you that it's all your's if you do him just one favour. He wants you to kill someone. You don't know the person, you don't know anything about them and there is no chance of getting caught. Would you go for it?

i don't know i like to know the facts to be honest before i kill someone even then i might not do because it's us dollars

Pshhh, US dollars? I only kill for the Canadian dollar!

Hypothetically? I would point the opposite direction and shout "Hey look! A distraction!" and then abscond with his funds.

Abandon4093:
*snip*

Yeah, see, you're saying a lot of things, but you're not backing any of them with anything other then the word "statistically". Of course, I'm not trying to say that everything in your post was untrue, I agree with plenty of it. I obviously won't deny that people will kill under extreme circumstances, especially if their lives depend on it. But I have to question your statement that "Statistically, people will murder based on the prospect of social gain." (paraphrasing) If you can show me that statistic, then great. I'll shut up. But until then, my response to that is "Statistically, people only commit murder when they feel they have no other option available to them."

Tufty94:

Nope. It sounds like a set up. The guy wants me to take the fall.

Although, if he's got the briefcase now... that implies payment up front. I could agree, take the case, take out three million (and hide it), then go to the police and say that this guy offered me Two million to kill the person, and how. I get to be a hero for turning the guy in, and I have three million for my trouble. :p

Give me the name and address of the man. Thats all I need to know. Screw it, 5 million and no chance of getting caught. Why not. Plus i could live comfortbly for the rest of my life with the money, and lets face it, Nearly 7 billion people on earth, why not take one out for 5 million.

But thats from a hypoythetical situation, in reality I'd probably say no.

6th And Silver:

Abandon4093:
*snip*

Yeah, see, you're saying a lot of things, but you're not backing any of them with anything other then the word "statistically". Of course, I'm not trying to say that everything in your post was untrue, I agree with plenty of it. I obviously won't deny that people will kill under extreme circumstances, especially if their lives depend on it. But I have to question your statement that "Statistically, people will murder based on the prospect of social gain." (paraphrasing) If you can show me that statistic, then great. I'll shut up. But until then, my response to that is "Statistically, people only commit murder when they feel they have no other option available to them."

In 2010 the US recorded 41.4% of the total robberies that year involved firearms.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/september/crime_091911/crime_091911

And in 1998 8.7% of the total murders in the US occurred during robberies.

http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/333_murder_victims_circumstances_and_weapons_used.html

I'm sure with some proper searching you could find a whole catalogue of these records and make an accurate estimation of how many people are murdered each year during robberies, muggings etc etc.

But the point is that people murder over spare change and household possessions. When you start dealing with truly life altering amounts of money. Like say 5-mil, people who would otherwise not have committed even a petty crime, may actually kill.

Bear in mind, that in robberies the objective isn't to kill someone. It's too intimidate, making it easier to take their possessions. So there will be a lot of outstanding factors in the percentage of murders during robberies that you'd have to take into consideration.

But when you tell someone that they have to kill a person for a life changing amount of money. Depending on their socio-economic standing, you'd probably find a higher amount of people willing to do it. Especially if the risk factor is removed.

If there is no chance of getting caught, sure.

That kind of money could solve a lot of problems.

Abandon4093:

6th And Silver:

Abandon4093:
*snip*

In 2010 the US recorded 41.4% of the total robberies that year involved firearms.

http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/333_murder_victims_circumstances_and_weapons_used.html

I'm sure with some proper searching you could find a whole catalogue of these records and make an accurate estimation of how many people are murdered each year during robberies, muggings etc etc.

But the point is that people murder over spare change and household possessions. When you start dealing with truly life altering amounts of money. Like say 5-mil, people who would otherwise not have committed even a petty crime, may actually kill.

Bear in mind, that in robberies the objective isn't to kill someone. It's too intimidate, making it easier to take their possessions. So there will be a lot of outstanding factors in the percentage of murders during robberies that you'd have to take into consideration.

But when you tell someone that they have to kill a person for a life changing amount of money. Depending on their socio-economic standing, you'd probably find a higher amount of people willing to do it. Especially if the risk factor is removed.

Sorry, but I don't think that statistic is really relevant. We're talking about two VERY different scenarios here: In one, the criminal (who is most likely in some kind of poverty) breaks into someone's home for anything they can find. They know this criminal act will not result in social mobility, they just want whatever they can get. Furthermore, as you stated, the goal of a robbery is not to kill the people in the house: If anything, a murder makes the robbery pretty counter-productive. Thus, it's safe to assume that at least a majority of these murders were accidental. And accidental murders are not relevant to this discussion.

In the topic's situation, the criminal (a member of the Escapist, and thus probably NOT in poverty, since they own a computer, have access to the internet, and enjoy playing videogames) is planning SPECIFICALLY to murder someone with the guarantee of massive wealth. The difference is that they almost definitely do not actually NEED the 5 million. And I don't think that healthy human beings kill each other without necessity. There's a big difference between killing someone who's about to kill you, and killing someone because you want to live in a mansion.

Depending on the difficulty. But, yes, I would, if I knew I wasn't going to get caught.

6th And Silver:

Abandon4093:

6th And Silver:

Sorry, but I don't think that statistic is really relevant. We're talking about two VERY different scenarios here: In one, the criminal (who is most likely in some kind of poverty) breaks into someone's home for anything they can find. They know this criminal act will not result in social mobility, they just want whatever they can get. Furthermore, as you stated, the goal of a robbery is not to kill the people in the house: If anything, a murder makes the robbery pretty counter-productive. Thus, it's safe to assume that at least a majority of these murders were accidental. And accidental murders are not relevant to this discussion.

In the topic's situation, the criminal (a member of the Escapist, and thus probably NOT in poverty, since they own a computer, have access to the internet, and enjoy playing videogames) is planning SPECIFICALLY to murder someone with the guarantee of massive wealth. The difference is that they almost definitely do not actually NEED the 5 million. And I don't think that healthy human beings kill each other without necessity. There's a big difference between killing someone who's about to kill you, and killing someone because you want to live in a mansion.

I already highlighted the differences between the scenarios for you, but you can't ignore the fact that people are willing to murder for money, and take on all the risks that entails. So does it not stand to reason that a person would be even more willing to murder for vastly higher quantities of money, especially given as there is no risk of imprisonment in this scenario?

The fact that it's a last resort in a robbery aswell as being counter productive was my point. If people will murder when it's both not ideal and not necessary, then surely you must concede that they would murder when that is the ideal scenario and very much necessary. It's not safe to assume they were accidental, it's safe to assume it wasn't their original intent. (In most cases)

People kill for money, the higher the payout, the more likely someone will see it as a viable option. And 5-mil is a very persuasive amount of money for most people.

Of course not. My desire not to be an evil bastard far exceeds my desire for wealth.

Captcha: bless you

Ha!

Who would entrust their life to the words of a stranger?

I mean i'd kill for 5 million dollars, but I wouldn't deal with some random guy who makes potentially false promises.

Yes, I would do it at no chance at being caught. It's five million, if the guy I'm supposed to kill had that same offer, high chances are, they would go for it.

Hell the chance of being caught could be higher than 0% (up to 50%) and I'd say yes in a heartbeat. Would finally be able to have a second chance @ life with that kind of money.

No. My morality is not for sale.

There is no amount of money that will get me to murder someone, just as there is no amount of money that will get me to rape or torture someone.

In fact, I'll go even further - anyone who says yes, if they're not just lying to build up some imaginary "internet tough guy" cred, is scum. Even considering killing a complete stranger for filthy lucre just proves you to be utterly contemptible, thoroughly untrustworthy, and frankly, totally deserving of being the target of this scenario.

I think I've answered this six or seven times... no.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked