Seriously why all the hate guys.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I've never seen so many blue names in a thread before...it's kinda cool.

Anywho...

In my belief, nothing is inferior to anything. There is only difference...but because we distinguish these, we label them and judgment is passed, based upon these needless and meaningless labels. Difference is how the world grows and, thus, I cherish the differences in each and every one of us, no matter the scope or magnitude of said difference. It's a shame when intolerance is born from failing to recognize, understand and love difference.

Quoted from Poet Pokiehl: "Love is power. Give it to another and you will bring bliss. Friends, criminals, strangers, and even yourself. All is reborn when you forgive, love, and understand."

Greyfox105:

Daystar Clarion:
-Snip-
Oh really?

Ahem.

Oh mighty -Filthy snip- gods, please, smite Greyfox for committing such blasphemy, she fears your mighty roles and your mighty plays, she question your motives and wishes to see you gone from this world!

Wait, mighty roles and plays?
Are you confusing our grand Role Playing forum with that... other, horrible place that also has the same two letters, but includes an "&"?
Because I'm fine with the Role Playing forum. Hell, I joined a good little RP, and I'm waiting for other people to actually post.

370999:
-Snip-

Like you. Stop doing other things and make Vane dance for my character. I'll pay you in half-eaten hamburgers.

I actually got the rolepaying games forum mixed up with religion and politics...

Greyfox105:

Daystar Clarion:
-Snip-
Oh really?

Ahem.

Oh mighty -Filthy snip- gods, please, smite Greyfox for committing such blasphemy, she fears your mighty roles and your mighty plays, she question your motives and wishes to see you gone from this world!

Wait, mighty roles and plays?
Are you confusing our grand Role Playing forum with that... other, horrible place that also has the same two letters, but includes an "&"?
Because I'm fine with the Role Playing forum. Hell, I joined a good little RP, and I'm waiting for other people to actually post.

370999:
-Snip-

Like you. Stop doing other things and make Vane dance for my character. I'll pay you in half-eaten hamburgers.

You are misrepresenting my character! He offered to sleep with someone and then stole his half eaten hamburger

Daystar Clarion:

I actually got the rolepaying games forum mixed up with religion and politics

DAH YOU SAID IT AGAIN STOP IT D:

Yopaz:
I get a bit annoyed and this might lead to a heated discussion that you call hate.

I don't call any kind of discussion hate (I should have probably been more clear on that point) It's just that a lot of the time all but the most common opinion gets steam rolled and that is in no way useful to discussion.

lacktheknack:

Daystar Clarion:

What?

Religion and politics?

Sorry I said religion and politics, I'll be sure not to say religion and politics anymore.

Religion and politics

Religion and politics

Religion and politics

I wouldn't go so far as to say that there's a lot of hate but as someone else already said, the fact that this place has some sort of reputation. A fact which I believe goes to some peoples heads which then causes them to try and seem more intelligent/well-spoken whereas in actual fact they just come off as condescending arseholes.

This in turn leads to someone on the receiving end of one of these condescending remarks feeling pissed off at being spoken down to which causes them to reply in a hostile manner until it all just becomes one big cluster fuck.

370999:
-Snip-
You are misrepresenting my character! He offered to sleep with someone and then stole his half eaten hamburger

Is that better or worse than what I asked for?
Still, I order you to post and offer your dancing services to me in exchange for food or other goodies that do not include me speaking or taking off my armour!
Think of all the half-eaten burgers, just a post away from being your dinner.

Daystar Clarion:
-Snip-
I actually got the rolepaying games forum mixed up with religion and politics...

Awww, I can't stay mad at you, that picture is too cute.

manic_depressive13:

Also, people need to get over this idea that opinions are just opinions, and we should respect or just leave eachother's opinions alone. I say no, that's fucking stupid. Opinions don't exist in a vacuum, nor are they otherwise isolated from the real world. They affect how we behave, how we vote, how we treat others, etc. Therefore, if someone expresses sexist, racist or homophobic sentiments, I am going to call them out on it.

This really can't be said enough. It's not as if there's some serious impediment to discussing opinions online anyway. It doesn't take much effort.

I started a similar thread to this and several people quite rightly pointed out that it's just human nature to assume you're always in the right and react badly when you are contended or, worse, proven wrong.

I think the problem on internet forums stems from the fact that a lot of the users are young and still pretty immature but, as is the way with all teenagers, think they've got it all figured out and everyone else just needs to catch up (if I met my nineteen year old self on here I'd want to kick his fucking head in).

The best you can hope to do is try and keep your own discussion civil and eventually they'll either acquiesce or, more often, just get frustrated and leave.

rob_simple:
I started a similar thread to this and several people quite rightly pointed out that it's just human nature to assume you're always in the right and react badly when you are contended or, worse, proven wrong.

I think the problem on internet forums stems from the fact that a lot of the users are young and still pretty immature but, as is the way with all teenagers, think they've got it all figured out and everyone else just needs to catch up (if I met my nineteen year old self on here I'd want to kick his fucking head in).

The best you can hope to do is try and keep your own discussion civil and eventually they'll either acquiesce or, more often, just get frustrated and leave.

I also second this.

I said some stupid things when I was younger, some of that stuff on this very site.

Young me was such a douche, I hate that guy :D

TheBobmus:
Passive-aggressive posts like this can be aimed at the offending minority, rather than expressed in their own thread to the general community.

Jack the Potato:
As for stopping hate between two or more people, that's pointless. You have no power to do so here, and you'll just wind up ignored or targeted for your trouble. They're just anonymous words, man. They don't mean much to anyone here.

True on both accounts, but I must warn Jack that I might steel that "They're just anonymous words, man. They don't mean much to anyone here." line, it actually sounded pretty cool.

Daystar Clarion:

lacktheknack:

Daystar Clarion:

What?

Religion and politics?

Sorry I said religion and politics, I'll be sure not to say religion and politics anymore.

Religion and politics

Religion and politics

Religion and politics

(Have I driven my point home? :P)

anthony87:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that there's a lot of hate but as someone else already said, the fact that this place has some sort of reputation/ A fact which I believe goes to some peoples heads which then causes them to try and seem more intelligent/well-spoken whereas in actual fact they just come off as condescending arseholes.

This in turn leads to someone on the receiving end of one of these condescending remarks feeling pissed off at being spoken down to which causes them to reply in a hostile manner until it all just becomes one big cluster fuck.

Completely agree, I now wish I had worded it like this instead.

Because if you post an opinion on the internet, someone will disagree with you. Thats how it works. Becuase the internet is full of billions of people, of course they're all not going to agree.

And also, it's fun to hate things. It always makes you feel better to be a dick, or hate something irrationally, or even rationally. At least sometimes.

Maybe we should bring back Zeel. Say what you want about the guy but he sure as hell brought the community together.

anthony87:
Maybe we should bring back Zeel. Say what you want about the guy but he sure as hell brought the community together.

Nothing brings people together quite like united hatred for something :D

Daystar Clarion:

rob_simple:

I also second this.

I third this, to a point, I accept that everyone (including myself) thinks they are right all the time about everything, if we didn't it would suggest that we chose are opinions because we thought some of them where wrong, that would be insane.

Daystar Clarion:

anthony87:

I never hated him/it. In fact all I ever wanted to do was pinch his/its cheek and say "Awwwwwwwh you think you're actually annoying people? How precious!".

Man...those were fun times.

anthony87:

Daystar Clarion:

anthony87:

I never hated him/it. In fact all I ever wanted to do was pinch his/its cheek and say "Awwwwwwwh you think you're actually annoying people? How precious!".

Man...those were fun times.

Well, I don't necessarily mean 'hate', but you catch my drift.

Hilarious times, they were :D

Patrick Buck:
Because if you post an opinion on the internet, someone will disagree with you. Thats how it works. Becuase the internet is full of billions of people, of course they're all not going to agree.

And also, it's fun to hate things. It always makes you feel better to be a dick, or hate something irrationally, or even rationally. At least sometimes.

I'm not saying everyone should agree, I like to find people who I disagree with but rather then resorting to insults or snobbery I prefare to actually discus things in a civilised way. The day I wake up and find everyone agrees with me is the day I would go truly mad.

Captcha: remain calm, true that.

Vegan_Doodler:

SNIP

I think what it boils down to (as so many other things on the internet do) is anonymity. If you insult a person on the internet, there is virtually no possibility of anything happening to you. You might get a little shit flung back at you, but there is no real-world consequences.

I always try to have meaningful conversations with people here, and on other sites. If they have view on something I disagree with (movie, game, MLP), I usually respond with why I disagree, in order to spark a conversation about why we have different opinions on a matter. I want to get to know their side of the story so that I might re-evaluate my own opinion. Slinging insults will get me nowhere.

Vegan_Doodler:

Why are we accepting this kind of stuff as a given, and I'm not just talking about the afore mentioned 'UR GAY NOOB' scum bags, I am also talking about the people seemingly intelegent people who just shout people down in droves just because they disagree with them on a given topic or have a point of view not shared by a majority of readers. Now I have an idea that might just be mad enough for us all to have a better communicative experience, STOP INSULTING, BELITTLING, OR JUST BEING AN UNPLEASANT PERSON TO OTHER PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH THEIR OPINION, ENJOY/DISLIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT, OR HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW OF THE WORLD.

Vegan_Doodler:

manic_depressive13:

Also, people need to get over this idea that opinions are just opinions, and we should respect or just leave eachother's opinions alone. I say no, that's fucking stupid. Opinions don't exist in a vacuum, nor are they otherwise isolated from the real world. They affect how we behave, how we vote, how we treat others, etc. Therefore, if someone expresses sexist, racist or homophobic sentiments, I am going to call them out on it.

Sexist, racist or homophobic sentiments have no intellectual value and are just spewing more shit that everyone else needs to sift through, so I thank you for calling them on that but what I can't stand is when someone expresses an opinion that's not popular, for instance something as trivial as "I don't like The Godfather films" or "I don't like Skyrim" and everyone will treat that person like a moron just because that person dared to voice an opinion, that is what kills discussion and just has everyone agreeing with false smiles.

No, really.

I've encountered this situation a dozen times over just about everywhere myself.

There's not much to say... you pretty much summed up my mindset on this issue.

Greyfox105:

*Hisses*
Do not mention the name of that place in Off-Topic! It is a bad omen, a thing of pure evil!

Err.....might I inquire as to why? I mean it surely isn't that bad. In fact, I don't recall any notable shitstorms happening there in the last two months. And as of the general demeanor...well...it can be rough at times, but I guess that comes with the topics. Still, they are usually discussed in a civilized manner...

Also you know...I like R&P

R&P

R&P

*cue maniacal laughter*

Jack the Potato:
It's very difficult to continually muster hate against someone who isn't hating back, because that's what it's all about: the reaction.

Not necessarily. Everything I hate I hate because I simply cannot find anything to like about it. I don't hate on it because of a reaction I would get voicing my negative opinions about it.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
snip

And this right here is pure logic, and I love the fact that the middle paragraph makes you sound like a creature of great wisdom and the I see your avatar and yeah your an elf makes complete sense now.

Pinkamena:
snip

Again pure logic, I just can't fathom why people would (or if they even do) enjoy flinging digital shit.
P.S. your avatar is incredibly unnerving it's like its staring into my sole, but...it...can't...be....
P.P.S. Rainbow Dash is the bast pony :D

Mick Golden Blood:

Well who am I to argue with the Captain Picard.

Simple, it's really a tiny seed of dislike sown in a field of apathy watered with anonymity that grows into a mighty redwood of hyperbole.

It's like this:

Vegan_Doodler:

Yopaz:
I get a bit annoyed and this might lead to a heated discussion that you call hate.

I don't call any kind of discussion hate (I should have probably been more clear on that point) It's just that a lot of the time all but the most common opinion gets steam rolled and that is in no way useful to discussion.

Not saying you are, but if someone gets annoyed enough in a discussion then what could have been as civil as the one you and I are having could turn quite nasty. A heated discussion quickly leads to insults and swears. I wont call it hate since there's most likely little lingering feeling. It's more of a rage thing.

Daystar Clarion:

anthony87:

I hate that post Daystar image

Then again Zeel was pretty funny if only as a sort of satire, especially since ironically enough it would be far funnier if we wasn't doing it on purpose.

TestECull:

Jack the Potato:
It's very difficult to continually muster hate against someone who isn't hating back, because that's what it's all about: the reaction.

Not necessarily. Everything I hate I hate because I simply cannot find anything to like about it. I don't hate on it because of a reaction I would get voicing my negative opinions about it.

Fair enough, but I guess what I, and by extension TC, meant is more "aggression." No one can force you to stop hating something, but most people find it hard to attack something when nobody reacts to their attacks. I'd say it's a "Do not feed the trolls" thing, but someone can be attacking something and not be a troll (if only more people understood that).

Daystar Clarion:

lacktheknack:

Daystar Clarion:

What?

Religion and politics?

Religion and politics

Religion and politics

Religion and politics

Just reading those words in that specific order is enough to make me roll my eyes.
(And repeating it is making them spin like I'm in the Exorcist....STOP IT!)

There's a very, VERY good reason I avoid that entire forum on The Escapist.
And I'm glad we have a board just for them; it's more akin to a Quarantine board than anything.

I can scarcely think of anything more fruitless, irritating, and potentially hate-inspiring than the discussion of politics, and especially religion, on the Internet.

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Quoted from Poet Pokiehl: "Love is power. Give it to another and you will bring bliss. Friends, criminals, strangers, and even yourself. All is reborn when you forgive, love, and understand."

Oho! A fan of obscure Legend of Mana references I see!

I love how much you care
lrn2anonculture

Like the people who managed to offend you are even going to read this thread

Because at some point, almost every thread will have someone saying,

"Your favorite game/genre/movie/hobby/religion/mom/country/political party/band sucks so much, they Hubble Space Telescope thinks it's a black hole!"

and then it's largely done except for the 2-3 people ignoring the side posts and trying to carry on a conversation.

I think that the internet attracts a lot of people who like to think of manners and hospitality as something that doesn't apply to their little 'sanctuary' away from real life. Some people choose to deal with these idiots while others would rather join the crowd. Anyways the more intelligent members of this group can usually be shot down with a good argument while the extremely moronic people should just be left alone because they'll usually just resort calling you some kind of slur.

Vegan_Doodler:
-snip-

All I can say is, welcome to the internet. As far as places go, the Escapist is one of the better places where descension into mindless name calling and hatred is less likely to occur. Trust me, there are worse places out there, far worse.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked