Most stupid personal question you've been asked?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

AdmiralMemo:

Snydeclyde:
'oh so everythings black and white'

My dad tried to "prove" that I see in black and white and was just guessing at colors. I proved him wrong, but he doesn't want to admit it and still believes I see in black and white.

How could you simply "guess" the colors if you (hypothetically) see in black and white? That's like someone who can't taste being able to guess what everything tastes like.

Tiddles:
"Can you speak Australian to me?" ~ Asked by, what I think was, a southern middle-aged tourist when I was visiting New York City.

Also I love the guys who ask for the time while wearing watches. If you're actually wearing a purely decorative watch we're not going to get along :)

Holy crap, isn't there a beer ad campaign that makes fun of how ridiculous that assumption is (exp. 'Beer. Australian for Beer')? It's amazing how stupid people can be when they don't put their mind to it (c wut i did thar).

ok, so I'm full Italian and have a very Italian name. I wear an Ireland shirt because, why not and instantly "Oh are you Irish?"

Dangit2019:

AdmiralMemo:

Snydeclyde:
'oh so everythings black and white'

My dad tried to "prove" that I see in black and white and was just guessing at colors. I proved him wrong, but he doesn't want to admit it and still believes I see in black and white.

How could you simply "guess" the colors if you (hypothetically) see in black and white? That's like someone who can't taste being able to guess what everything tastes like.

That was half the thrust of my argument, and when I passed his color test well enough, he still didn't admit he was wrong.

Clankenbeard:
For starters, there's never a need to react out of rage to a stupid personal question. Most people are asking them out of ignorance and not personal malice.

Well, part of the issue is that I'm offended by stupidity. Now, ignorance in itself is fine, but willful ignorance is what I hate.

I moved to Canada from Britain when I was about 8, and I was constantly asked:
"Did you ever meet The Queen?"
Yes, of course, every British citizen has tea with the Queen on a weekly basis...

One question that was more rude-persoanl than stupid-personal, was when I announced that I was pregnant, several people asked me "Was it planned?". I just found that..kinda rude and personal, especially as it was coming from colleagues who didn't really know me that well. Basically, it's like they were asking "Did you mean for this to happen, or were you just being irresponsible?". Which is something I would find acceptable coming from my parents or something, not people I see at work and only say Hi to at the coffee machine.

White_Lama:

DrgoFx:

White_Lama:
"Are you a closet-homosexual?"

Well, that's as close as I can translate it to English.
Basicly I got asked that by a girl after I said that I liked the colour pink.
I mean come on, my favorite shirt is pink, how could I not like the colour!

EDIT: Now don't look at my avatar and get any other opinions. I was bored.

I like purple...I really like purple...So much in fact, I have three purple shirts of different tones and also a salmon colored shirt...One of my friends doesn't approve of any of the shirts.

You like purple? What are you? Some sort of closet-homosexual? I mean pink is fair and all but purple?

Whats wrong with purple?

Rastelin:

Jamieson 90:
I have dyslexia so this pissed me off.

Guy: Dyslexia is like a disease righ? .... How did you catch it?

Me: Faceplam. .... It's a learning difficulty not a disease and I didn't catch it since I was born with it.

My response would be!

"Actually you have to chase it long and hard. If you are lucky, you might catch it... With a net..."

Silly questions, silly answers I say:P

You know thats great, but I think I was too shocked by such a stupid question to be witty or anything back then.

I have tattoo's and piercings, and I used to work at a tattoo shop.

First question of every little blonde haired idiotic 16 year old girl whos mum was buying her first nose ring:

"Is this going to hurt?"

Erk... Naw, that size 14 needle being jammed through flesh and cartilage will feel like puppy kisses my dear. ><

renegade7:
When a girl asks "What are you thinking about?"

Infuriating. What am I supposed to say? What I'm actually thinking about (Breasts, spaceships, etc.)?

The correct answer to this question is "seeing you naked."

I have relatives who are...to put it lightly "keen on Jesus."
It's a big part of the reason I never visit my family in Texas anymore.

Somehow or another they got my fucking email address (I have the sinking suspicion it was my sister) and because every last one of them is on a mission from God to save my immortal soul they feel the need to send be every piece of asinine inspirational tripe they stumble across with the subject line.

"How can you be an Athiest when..."

Insert story about a mother hugging her child back to life or a kid being cured of cancer because she sent a letter to Jesus or...whatever.

Not personal, per se, but the two most objectively stupid questions I've been asked where:

"What time is it?" by a guy with a fully functional watch on his wrist; and

"Do these stairs go up or down?" regarding a set of normal stairs (not escalators).

As for personal, mostly having to do with religion. I'm Catholic, and a believer, but I'm studying to be a biologist. A lot of people then go and ask "But, you're going to be a scientist, how can you believe in GAWD?". Easy, by believing. 'Course, they get angry when I answer like that >_>

WHY ARE YOU AN UN PATRIOTIC FOREIGNER-SPEAKING GRADUATE HOBO WHO HATE YOUR SECURITIES AND PEACE, YOUNG MAN?!?! AND WHY AREN'T YOU MARRIED WITH 15 BABIES YET SO THE NATION WOULD HAVE GROWTH GROWTH GROWTH!?!?

My Dad waking me up at 6 in the morning asking me if I'm gonna do my chores, he told me that the pile of trash was of the top priority.

"No Dad I'll just sleep by the trash and hopefully my snoring will scare it off. If not I can always challenge the trash to a staring contest, see if that works."

He could have waited until I woke up naturally, it was a goddamn weekend anyway.

"You're a virgin? What, so you've never had sex ever?"

Gotta love uni peeps finding this stuff out...

There's one question I always get asked by people once they get to know me well enough:

"Do you do anything to your hair?" Why do they ask this? I have sort of strange hair--it's like a mix of wavy and curly, layers on itself, yet it's neither coarse or stiff. It's like an afro without the 'fro, I guess. I've never understood why people end up being fascinated with it, but they tend to be.

A second question that I was once asked (shouted at, more rather), and am forever wondering how stupid this person was to come to such a conclusion was:

"You don't have a cellphone!? What, are you poor or something!?" First time I ever face-palmed in real life, I think.

Clankenbeard:

I am coloblind. Not badly, mind you--just red/green (heavy on the green part). So the question I get asked most is "Isn't that weird, seeing things the wrong color?" Obviously, if they had taken a few extra seconds to consider their question, they would have realized that my way of seeing is normal to me. It's all I've ever known.

I get that alot too,
If a particular colour is called red for example, i still know it as red, regardless of if it appears diffrent to me as it would to someone else.

it's funny calling BS on people who lie about being colourblind when you hold up something blue and they tell you its purple, not realising that they shoudn't know what purple normally looks like if they're colourblind

"Are you goth?"

No, just because I like darker colored clothes and have a sarcastic sense of humor does not mean I identify myself in a trend of style/fashion/clothing/whatever. In fact, I am irritated that you decide to attempt to label me like a soup can, instead of getting to know me.

"Why do you play video games? It's just a waste of time/electricity/etc."

*facepalm*

^ My entire middle-high school experience.

I've been asked a few times if my (2 years) younger sister and I (I'm a man) are twins. It's like no one ever looked like their brothers and sisters before.

People keep asking me if I work in restaurants because I just love cooking.

"Oh...this is delicious...so you're a chef huh?"

"Nope, computer programmer."

"But...this tastes so good!"

"Yup, I just like cooking...it's a Greek thing."

I was asked if I was a democrat or republican... I really don't like answering that. Why would you bind yourself to the policies of one group rather than get the best of both?

Easton Dark:
I was asked if I was a democrat or republican... I really don't like answering that. Why would you bind yourself to the policies of one group rather than get the best of both?

Because when you vote you cant just sit in the middle you have to choose one or the other.

"Is your sister hot?"

OH YEP TOTALLY *rolls eyes*

Seriously, people can be fucking retarded when they find out you have an older sister.

TheFinish:
Not personal, per se, but the two most objectively stupid questions I've been asked where:

"What time is it?" by a guy with a fully functional watch on his wrist; and

"Do these stairs go up or down?" regarding a set of normal stairs (not escalators).

As for personal, mostly having to do with religion. I'm Catholic, and a believer, but I'm studying to be a biologist. A lot of people then go and ask "But, you're going to be a scientist, how can you believe in GAWD?". Easy, by believing. 'Course, they get angry when I answer like that >_>

Same here, apperently a dream of being an astrophysist instantly means that I can't be a christan or something. That or when they ask a science question so mind-numbingly dumb (or make a statement of equal stupidity)
It makes one quickly lose faith in humanity

"Can I touch your hair?"
I wish I was joking, but I've had multiple people ask me this. My hair is red/orange, that means it looks different. It doesn't feel different.

Suki_:

Easton Dark:

Because when you vote you cant just sit in the middle you have to choose one or the other.

No, you don't. There's more than two candidates and two parties.

Easton Dark:

Suki_:

Easton Dark:

Ok let me rephrase that. Their is only two real candidates. Sure there are others but voting for them is the same as not voting at all.

I had a very good gay best friend, he had been honest and just an all round awesome friend for a few years, after not seeing him for about 10 months or so I decide to chat with him on facebook and catch up.
He flat out cracks on to me and asks me out... I am female. When I ask 'why?' he just said he was feeling bi-curious and was too scared to crack on to 'girly girls'. Now I wouldn't call myself un-feminine in appearance, but in the way I act.. I can see where he was coming from. Thanks gay friend for giving me a complex for a year after that (>_>)

Other stupid questions.. hmm..
Well I had a Christian friend who asked me why I was a 'Satanist' when I showed her my new pentacle pendant my fiancÚ bought me. When I enlightened her that I was in fact Wiccan and not a Satanist she asked 'what's the difference?' I couldn't get really mad at her since she lived a super sheltered uncultured Christian upbringing and she was honestly curious but still it was just mind blowing how little people know about non-Christian religion (@_@). Also got nothing against Satanism feel kind of sorry for you guys since the majority of people think Satanism = blood orgies + sacrificing newborns... rather than y'know following your own path of spiritual enlightenment, that's what religion is for.. (>_>)

Janitor at the place I used to work asked if I had kids. I said no. Will I be having them soon? No. Why not...did I have a medical problem?

I get asked what my husband is like in bed a lot, too.

Suki_:

Easton Dark:

Suki_:

Ok let me rephrase that. Their is only two real candidates. Sure there are others but voting for them is the same as not voting at all.

True. I just don't like being labeled as one thing or another. We should do what's best, not what's most popular.

"Are you a ghost?"

The person who asked me this was absolutely serious too.

"It's so hot out. Why are you wearing pants?"

I like pants. I like pants more than shorts.

Shocksplicer:
"Are you from England?"
NO. I am NOT fucking well from England bitch. Just because I speak English properly and don't speak like you doesn't mean I'm English you fucking bogan.

(I'm Australian)

I have encountered that problem many times over, I was born and raised in South-East Queensland, which probably has one of the more concentrated bogan populations, as a result, the majority of them will mistake me for being British/English (regardless of the fact that all outer appearances suggest I am of Asian descent) because I don't try to butcher the English language.

OT: "Are you from Britain/England/America" - Dozens of bogans I have had the unpleasant experience of conversing with.

Random guy: so you play video games right?

me: well yes i do

Random guy: what console do you play?

me: i don't play on consoles i am a PC Gamer

Random guy: you can play Video Games on a Computer?!

lets just say after that i have stopped trying to be social outside my group

"You don't really believe in aliens do you?"
I find anyone who does not believe in extra-terrestrial life a bit dumb.

When I was going to a fancy dress party dressed as a tiger (a bit of a stylised outfit, for sure, but I had the fur and the stripes and the tail and ears and the face paint with stripes and whiskers, the whole tigery shebang) and some kids in the street stopped me and asked if I was an 'emo'.

Ryan Minns:
"...Is it in?"

...*Dies a little inside*

To be fair, if you're not moving much or not at the right angle it's kind of hard to tell, everywhere where there are nerves are tingly at that point and everywhere where there aren't is numb. I've had perfectly well sized guys that I've not been sure if they're in or out until they start doing their thing because you're only half conscious of reality by that point. :P

renegade7:
When a girl asks "What are you thinking about?"

Infuriating. What am I supposed to say? What I'm actually thinking about (Breasts, spaceships, etc.)?

Well, yeah. Are you telling me that guys only give me boring answers to this question because they're ashamed to tell me they're thinking of breasts or spaceships? We're aware you like breasts and spaceships, you don't have to lie about it!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here