I actually don't like the "permabanned" avatar swap

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Daystar Clarion:
It perplexes me when something that's done in light humour gets over-analysed to the point where people genuinely have their jimmies rustled...

Kind of ironic, now that I think about it.

Now whoever changed my avatar to a grumpy looking cat HAS SOME EXPLAINING TO DO!!!!

Lol, everyone's avatar is changed to the grumpy cat pic.

OT: I think the permabanned gif is funny and it's just on the thread only, not the user's defult avatar.

The staff have changed all the avatars here to a grumpy lolcat.

Response to thread given. I am laughing. XD

Redlin5:
The staff have changed all the avatars here to a grumpy lolcat.

Response to thread given. I am laughing. XD

I've always been a happy lolcat, but this may be my next avatar.

Daystar Clarion:
It perplexes me when something that's done in light humour gets over-analysed to the point where people genuinely have their jimmies rustled...

Kind of ironic, now that I think about it.

Confused by people on the internet getting upset over trivial things?

Okay, I needed a reason to use that picture as soon as I found it.

*looks at your avatars*

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS???

EDIT: That's what I thought. Well played mods, well played. I like it.

OT: Huh, I hadn't noticed that. I feel that replacing the profile pic is unnecessary since the text in all the forums already tells us their banned. I could see using it if the avatar is inappropriate, but otherwise it does seem silly.

Look at it this way, it's a lot easier to tell the difference b/w suspended and the banned people. I mean really, who's gonna spend 1.5 seconds of their life carefully reading the label above the avatar when the avatar itself is so much more enjoyable? And of course, Johnny Depp. :D

Look, im sorry you got permabanned, but you probably deserved it. if there is a thing to hate it is people that get offended by anything in the internet and expect anyone to care.
edit, also whats up with all avatars being the same in this thread?

I've never seen that avatar before. Have they always done this?

Honestly, it would depend on how much input they've had whether or not I would care, but I'm relatively new so I haven't really seen any notable people banned. As a general rule, I'd say don't do it just because it's demeaning, but as a once-off that gif is f***ing hilarious.

I never noticed the permabanned avatar swap I think its funny but they could of gotten a easier to see image its a bit small

on a side note did I push a new third button prank like the red button or is there an event going on as everyone's avatar on this thread is showing as a angry looking cat

Strazdas:
Look, im sorry you got permabanned, but you probably deserved it. if there is a thing to hate it is people that get offended by anything in the internet and expect anyone to care.
edit, also whats up with all avatars being the same in this thread?

No-one in this thread has been banned (afaik), rather the complaint is that the image is offensive as it deplicts child abuse, which is not a trivial complaint.
I suggested a switch to the kitty you see on your avatar here, the mods did it as a joke regarding some of the comments in the topic. I recommend you read it through, there's a few different topics here.

What's going on in thi-

Oh. Well this is genuinely amusing.

TIME TO PARTY BRAH'S. EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALM IT AND EAR A JAMMY NANA.

Grumpy kitteh is not amused!

But seriously, it's not like the avatars hurt anything. They're pixels. People might claim that they're unique to them, or they have significant meaning, or whatever, but at the end of the day, it's a picture. Sure, it makes it easier to identify people if they keep the same avatar all the time, but it's not really that important.

Also, I posted in here mainly cause I wanted to be a kitty XD

Oh mods how I love you. yet I now miss my cheshire cat.

Not seen this permabanning avatar yet.

DoPo:

Darknacht:

DoPo:

JEBWrench and DoPo have been favored by the gods!!! We must figure out what the gods want so we all may appease them!

Oh, fuck, lol! I don't even know what they want - I've been sacrificing a wide variety of things in their honour for quite a while now - a goat, a badger, a Christmas tree, a pair of jeans, a jar of cookies, a virgin (well, admittedly that was the goat), the script for Half-Life 3 which I stole from Valve, etc. I wasn't sure what they wanted, so I tried to cover all bases.

As a side note, may I suggest the grumpy cat treatment from now on for any thread that starts getting "heated"? Like, the sexism ones, the piracy ones, etc. And just enable it by default on R&P. It's better than closing the threads, I think.

So THIS is why there is no Half Life 3? DO YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF THAT WHICH IT IS YOU HAVE MANAGED TO HAVE DONE?!

Also... Since when was this a 'professional' website? Do you REALLY want the Escapist to end up being as bland and sterile as sites like IGN or Gamespot?

A dog avatar would be much better....

TopazFusion:
You can just go to their profile to see what their avatar used to be.

And anyway, it's not like they're going to be posting all around everywhere with that avatar. You'll only see it on very recent bans, or on thread necros.

For those who don't know what the OP is talking about . . .

I love that gif and would gladly have it as my avatar but what does it come from? It seems like a clip from somewhere.

TimeLord:

DoPo:

TimeLord:
Huh... Seems someone has been playing around with the avatars in this thread....

Engage Default Response Pattern Alpha One: Blame Kross

Also blame Louis and paulgruberman

Oh my god, I laughed so hard, and I don't know who to attribute it to. I guess I'll just blame Kross out of principle, too.

> sees a thread complaining about changing avatars of banned people
> changes all avatars

Brilliant and damn funny at the same time! :D

That sounds like it could be a new meme! 'Scumbag Tech Team'? Or 'Lighthearted Tech Team' :P

Mind-swap!

You can't show that to the pleb-.. users! They will know the source of Kross's Power! They are not yet prepared for this, I tell you. It can only end badly!

Whoah! What the- Wow! That's exquisite. I actually laughed, out loud no less. Well done.

TopazFusion:

And anyway, it's not like they're going to be posting all around everywhere with that avatar. You'll only see it on very recent bans, or on thread necros.

Ahahahaha, so that's the avatar.

For one thing, to receive a perma, they obviously had to be doing something pretty bad to deserve it, so why should they expect any favors? It isn't like they'll be back, so changing their avatar doesn't matter at all. If they were being stupid enough to deserve a perma, then screw'em.

This is honestly one of the dumbest things I've seen someone complain about on a forum. Right up there with, "THESE XCOM ADS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE! RSZKJBHALKBAV!"

Well, I don't like it.

Look, I'm not saying theres some fat neckbeard mod sitting there chuckling to himself everytime he bans someone and changes their avatar, bathing in delusions of grandeur, but, you know, presenting the banned user as a crying kid in a hospital bed is rather rude.

TopazFusion:
I think its fair to assume than anyone who has gotten themselves banned has been more than a little rude, they shouldn't expect to receive any better in return. Besides, its not like they are going to be using their 'forum personality' much in the future, being banned and all, so why does it matter?

Well then, I guess it is time for a small change in forum policy! From now on, if a user insults another user, the insulted user has the right to reply with "Fucking cunt I fucked ur mom lol kiss my ass", or something to that effect. After all, they should expect nothing else in return! I bet these forums will be much better with this change, especially if the mods follow this logic.

As for not using their forum personality in the future, I think that if you've made the odd 5000 or 10000 posts on these forums you've earned your right to a bit of a legacy. You've had a major effect on the forums and on top of that you've made the website a small fortune in advertising revenue, provided you don't live in a country like Germany, where for some reason the Escapist runs ads exclusively promoting their own shows. Respect for the dead and all that.

I love the gif. I'd love it even more if it was a repeating gif of the WoW kid tantrum. Ya know, this one -

I really don't think it's a particularly big deal. It's a forum account, and a banned one at that; if someone got that upset by the avatar swap after they were banned, they probably needed to be banned because they're taking this shit way too seriously.

...And the avatars in this thread are making it seem like it's one person talking himself.

TopazFusion:

Thank you for sharing

To be honest I do not like it either. It shows someone behaving very violently to another person who is obviously distressed. I have a sick feeling in my stomach from watching it. I get that it is supposed to be funny, but I just found it to be sickening. I think that there are many homes and people through the world who have been affected by this kind of violence, and many people who suffer from it and are too afraid to speak out. Therefore, I do not think that making it into a joke is appropriate. Maybe I am being a little old fashioned, and a little too sensitive about it but this crossed one of the few boundaries that I have.

If this makes me a grumpy kitten, then I am a grumpy kitten, and not a very impressed one at that.

I guess it's kind of pointless, but I'm more annoyed at the fact that banned users posts have grayed out text, which is hard to read. These should have, of course, some kind of notification, so you know the poster is apparently a bad person, but graying it out seems to me to be a little 'Oop, this guy got banned, everything he ever said is irrelevant and wrong, forever, and you shouldn't be reading it, move along now'. If that's the case, I don't see why you wouldn't remove banned posters posts all together.

The point is, I don't like being even subtly told what I should and shouldn't be reading, especially when the guy might have been banned for a totally different post on a totally different topic. All in all, it isn't really a big deal, but hey, I have a weird avatar. I thought it was weird that this guy would just talk to himself all the time throughout the whole thread.

Smeggs:

TopazFusion:

Ahahahaha, so that's the avatar.

For one thing, to receive a perma, they obviously had to be doing something pretty bad to deserve it, so why should they expect any favors? It isn't like they'll be back, so changing their avatar doesn't matter at all. If they were being stupid enough to deserve a perma, then screw'em.

This is honestly one of the dumbest things I've seen someone complain about on a forum. Right up there with, "THESE XCOM ADS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE! RSZKJBHALKBAV!"

...How is that dumb? The banner ads cause legit problems. Like how their 'box' is much bigger than the banner itself, so trying to click on a thread three inches above the banner goes 'LOLNOPE YOU CLICKED BANNER'. And it moves the page around when it goes away. etc.

Shilefin:
I guess it's kind of pointless, but I'm more annoyed at the fact that banned users posts have grayed out text, which is hard to read. These should have, of course, some kind of notification, so you know the poster is apparently a bad person, but graying it out seems to me to be a little 'Oop, this guy got banned, everything he ever said is irrelevant and wrong, forever, and you shouldn't be reading it, move along now'. If that's the case, I don't see why you wouldn't remove banned posters posts all together.

Ah, well, good point I suppose (even if I don't have trouble reading those posts so I never thought of it that way).

Also, I see we're still all grumpy cats here. And I'm still two minds about it.

wait, what? why is everybody suddenly grumpycat?

I feel like I'm not quite picking up on something here.

<Well thought out and clear response to the thread>

[See Grumpy cat on every avatar]

<Loose the entire thought process>

Lawl.

Seeing as how most of the time mods take action for valid reason from what I've seen, cant really find myself caring for the banhammered.

This grumpy cat thing reminds me of the time there was a thread talking about getting suspended where every single post got "this account has been suspended" -tag on it without actually getting suspended. Ah, good times.

Nice, now all of the avatars are grumpy cats. Can't say I care for this much.

Excuse me, mods? Admins? Could I please have my Puffy and Sue avatar be displayed rather than the cat? Thanks in advance.

Or mumbled loathing as it gets ignored.

I wanna be a grumpy kitty too!

On the original topic, if that still matters, I tend to agree.

It's always a shame going back to super old threads to stare at the corpses of our long lost comrades only to find someone has drawn all over their body with a sharpie.

Wait, along what guidelinds is permabanning used?

Oh and nice avatars mods (do I get kiss-up points now?)

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh god, it hurts.

Masterfully done, gents. I believe the Escapist has answered your complaint with the inarguable "Because we can" answer.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here