23.5% (76)
23.5% (76)
No and what the hell are you talking about
17.6% (57)
17.6% (57)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Wheel of Time...Have you read it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I've read all the books up to 12. I like it for the most part, but I do think that at around book 6-7 the story starts to drag out, splitting up into half a dozen concurrent main stories for the leads, throwing way too many characters at me that I don't really care about and generally becoming a bit of convoluted mess.

Which is strange, since A Song Of Fire And Ice does pretty much the same thing and there I love it. Maybe it's because in that series I find almost all the characters at least somewhat interesting, while by about book 9 of Wheel of Time reading through half the main characters chapters felt like a chore to me.

Yup, read everything. I have this thing where once I read a book in the series, I HAVE to read everything else... something which made me read the entire Twilight series...

Yup, been with WoT for almost half my life. About gave up after the series' quality tanked after book 6, but have been totally rejuvenated by Brandon Sanderson's take on finishing the series. He's all of as good and maybe better an author than Rigney was. His current 2 books in the series are right among the best in WoT since the Eye of the World, and most of his own series and novels are as good or better than anything in WoT.

So has the series actually been finished now?

I read the first 11 books but decided to wait until Sanderson finished the series completely before reading anymore of it

i remember playing the computer game - yea there is such a thing look it up....from memory it wasnt even that bad but somehow never picked up the books....considering that ur average book costs 25$ in aussie im pretty sure i wont get into a series thats gona cost me several hundred $ to get through ;)

ischmalud:
i remember playing the computer game - yea there is such a thing look it up....from memory it wasnt even that bad but somehow never picked up the books....considering that ur average book costs 25$ in aussie im pretty sure i wont get into a series thats gona cost me several hundred $ to get through ;)

The Mp had some interesting concepts.

The singleplayer was dumb as heck, and was generally convoluted in relation to the series. (You're an Aes Sedai who cna't channel, and constantly finds rare ter'angreal to channel for her, and navigates the Ways unguided. And kills Ishamael somehow. In some sort of odd not-really-prequel)

Darks63:
I read up to either book 11 or 12 but after Jordan died I lost interest in the series especially since i believe had he lived the series would have been more than 13 books.

Though I always hated how henpecked the almost all the men were in that series.

Actually When he was alive he was determined to finish it on book 12 no matter if it had to be a massive tome that would dwarf most dictionaries, publishing companies and his wife decided 3 books would be better so its ending on 14

I'm soon to be wrapping up book seven. It can drag at times but is ultimately a good read.
I just wish it wasn't so long, I kind of want to get onto another series already :P

MetalDooley:

I read the first 11 books but decided to wait until Sanderson finished the series completely before reading anymore of it

The last book is coming on the 7th or 8th January, so feel free to start reading it already.

Personally, I really enjoy WoT despite its many flaws. Sometimes it really drags on, sometimes I get lost in the countless new characters and descriptions, yet overall its been a great ride. Can't wait for the last installation =D

I have read all of them and I really enjoy most of them. There were 2 which were boring and had no advancing of the story and were boring, turgid piles of mehhh. (I think 8 and 10 )

If I'm honest I really don't think that a movie could do it justice. It probably wouldn't do well enough to get a full series of films therefore the scope couldn't really be caught. A TV series ala game of thrones would probably capture it a lot better though the first couple of gooks might be a bit boring.

Karoshi:

MetalDooley:

Personally, I really enjoy WoT despite its many flaws. Sometimes it really drags on, sometimes I get lost in the countless new characters and descriptions, yet overall its been a great ride. Can't wait for the last installation =D

Ah That describes my views on the series perfectly, especially the characters because it keeps you on your toes that you cant just keep track of people that have names...because EVERYONE has a name

Read it and love it. Currently finishing reading it through again in anticipation of the final book's release. It did start to drag more as it moved away from action and got more into politics, but it definitely picks up again with the last two. Jordan's excellent plot coupled with just how enjoyable Sanderson's writing is makes them so easy to read.

Bleidd Whitefalcon:
I'm in the process of reading it. Slowly. I've come close to stopping more then once because of all the sexism in it - both sides are guilty of it but it's really bad from the women. ESPECIALLY Nynaeve (seriously. fuck her and her opinions)

I feel like a lot of this stuff is an intended characteristic of the world rather than a fault with the writing. The fact that for the past 3000 years, men have had the unfortunate tendency to randomly go mad and simultaneously gain immense power, not to mention the fact they pretty much destroyed the world and returned society to the dark ages has, quite fairly, embedded an underlying distrust of them in society.

Kyrian007:
Yup, been with WoT for almost half my life. About gave up after the series' quality tanked after book 6, but have been totally rejuvenated by Brandon Sanderson's take on finishing the series. He's all of as good and maybe better an author than Rigney was. His current 2 books in the series are right among the best in WoT since the Eye of the World, and most of his own series and novels are as good or better than anything in WoT.

My one quibble with Sanderson's writing is the complete removal of Aviendha's character development she had started to integrate with westland society and suddenly book 12 and BAM full on revert to Aiel standards and thinking but besides that 12 and 13 are rather amazing

Karoshi:
The last book is coming on the 7th or 8th January, so feel free to start reading it already.

Cheers for the info.I'll pick up book 12 when I get a chance so

ischmalud:
considering that ur average book costs 25$ in aussie im pretty sure i wont get into a series thats gona cost me several hundred $ to get through ;)

Which is where the internet comes in.This website http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=robert+jordan&page=1&searchRefined=1&searchAddedTerm=&submit=Go&price=low&availability=&format=&searchSortBy=popularity&searchLang= has all the series for around $10AUD or less and they deliver free worldwide.I buy nearly all my books from them now as they're much cheaper than buying from bookstores here in Ireland

Got to about volume 6 before I started being really bored with it. "It drags" is an understatement.

iwinatlife:

Kyrian007:

My one quibble with Sanderson's writing is the complete removal of Aviendha's character development she had started to integrate with westland society and suddenly book 12 and BAM full on revert to Aiel standards and thinking but besides that 12 and 13 are rather amazing

As far as I'm aware, Sanderson has pretty much no say in the actual plot. Jordan left notes and explainations, whole written scenes and told his wife and other assistants exactly what was supposed to happen. Sanderson's job is just to take all that stuff and write the book around it, so any changes to characters that occur aren't his decision.

Scrubiii:

iwinatlife:

Kyrian007:

As far as I'm aware, Sanderson has pretty much no say in the actual plot. Jordan left notes and explainations, whole written scenes and told his wife and other assistants exactly what was supposed to happen. Sanderson's job is just to take all that stuff and write the book around it, so any changes to characters that occur aren't his decision.

fair enough but it did seem like a particularly jarring shift right after the author changed so it seemed like a change by the new author was the logical conclusion but i guess Rigney just pulled a fast one posthumously

Yeah, I've quite enjoyed it, and read it through a good few times. However, I am an exceptionally fast reader, so going through the series only takes me a week or two.

Zakarath:
Yeah, I've quite enjoyed it, and read it through a good few times. However, I am an exceptionally fast reader, so going through the series only takes me a week or two.

I actually attribute this series to helping me be a exceptionally fast reader because if you can read and comprehend this one quickly most other books become pretty easy

It's too long. I don't want to have to re-read the entire series every time a new book comes out because I've forgotten it all. It was good at first, got into it's stride, and then just slowed right down.

I've read up to book 10. I stopped there and am waiting for the last one to be published before I finish it. I know I have book 11 somewhere just haven't read it yet. Book 10 annoyed the hell out of me because a whole hell of a lot of nothing happened. Still, I'm sure I'll finish it up soon. I'm half tempted to start over from when I get the rest of the series.

MetalDooley:

Karoshi:

Cheers for the info.I'll pick up book 12 when I get a chance so

ischmalud:
considering that ur average book costs 25$ in aussie im pretty sure i wont get into a series thats gona cost me several hundred $ to get through ;)

Which is where the internet comes in.This website http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=robert+jordan&page=1&searchRefined=1&searchAddedTerm=&submit=Go&price=low&availability=&format=&searchSortBy=popularity&searchLang= has all the series for around $10AUD or less and they deliver free worldwide.I buy nearly all my books from them now as they're much cheaper than buying from bookstores here in Ireland

wow cool thanks for that mate ill have a little looksy thre ;)

Seth Carter:

ischmalud:

The singleplayer was dumb as heck, and was generally convoluted in relation to the series. (You're an Aes Sedai who cna't channel, and constantly finds rare ter'angreal to channel for her, and navigates the Ways unguided. And kills Ishamael somehow. In some sort of odd not-really-prequel)

Oh man, I remember that game. Someone bought it for me randomly about 12 years ago, and I really liked it actually, but I had no idea what the novel series was about or all the inconsistencies the game introduced. I only started reading the books about 5 years ago. I've been waiting to get book 12 until the last one is published, so it looks like I need to jump on that right away.

antidonkey:
I've read up to book 10. I stopped there and am waiting for the last one to be published before I finish it. I know I have book 11 somewhere just haven't read it yet. Book 10 annoyed the hell out of me because a whole hell of a lot of nothing happened. Still, I'm sure I'll finish it up soon. I'm half tempted to start over from when I get the rest of the series.

Book 10 does that too a lot of people especially because book 9 was awesome and book 10 is HOLY SHIT WTF WAS THAT!!! for 800 pages

Heard book one and the first few chapters of book two on audiobook. It really failed to capture or impress me in any way.

Read the series once, re-reading it now, almost done with book three. Can't wait for Memory of Light.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Scrubiii:

iwinatlife:

Kyrian007:
snip

Starting with the second comment first, I don't know where they drew the lines as to what they allowed Sanderson to do with the story. I do know that after the first draft was finished, there was a fairly long pause and then lengthy rewrite done to AMoL so I suspect you're most likely right. I would just add that given how well Mistborn was done and looking at the amazing start to The Stormlight Archive, I'd personally have given him full license to do whatever he wanted to with it.

As for Aviendha... hadn't thought of it that way. I saw her "wetlander integration" in the same light as Egwene's foray into Aiel society. A learning experience meant to take some new ideas and perspective BACK to where you were meant to be. It proved useful to Egwene with her rise through the Aes Sedai ranks, and I believe that was the intention for Aviendha to help her be a better (if reluctant) Wise One. I saw the difference and disconnect as a result of Aviendha spending so much time trying to still be a Maiden and not wanting to be a wise one. It seems to me it has just taken her longer to "grow up" in a sense, and there should be ample time to finish up her character development in AMoL before whatever happens to Rand... happens to Rand.

captcha: "Double Crossed" erie foreshadowing?

I want to read it, but book 1 is always missing from book shops.

Seth Carter:

ischmalud:

From what I've heard about the game, it takes place in the past (I want to say during the Trolloc Wars?), but of one of the alternate universes that can be accessed by the portal stones, not in the main universe. I've never actually had a chance to play it, but it always sounded cool, if an odd use of the license.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Seth Carter:

ischmalud:

From what I've heard about the game, it takes place in the past (I want to say during the Trolloc Wars?), but of one of the alternate universes that can be accessed by the portal stones, not in the main universe. I've never actually had a chance to play it, but it always sounded cool, if an odd use of the license.

I now want to find this game

Owyn_Merrilin:

Yeah, I wouldn't say "First Person Shooter"(/ Tower Defense in the MP and on a couple of missions) would be the first place I'd go with WoT license. (I'd probably go RTS myself).

I mean, it wasn't a bad shooter, and Fantasy Magic Shooters are fairly rare (I can think of WoT, Hexen/Heretic, and Catacomb, and I guess elder Scrolls sorta), but in terms of the universe it was supposed to represent, the haphazard way they threw in the FPS ammo mechanics (You can't channel regularly because your channeling was locked because it was dangerous somehow, so you have to use supposedly rare ter'angreal that you find constantly) was jarring.

I love The wheel of time, so much that it is my nick on most games and forums.
Just bought the 6 first books in english already have most of them in swedish but need to read them on english too.

Yeah, the first book. I found it very boring :/

The game was pretty good actually, that's what spurred my interest in the books. But they just didn't deliver for me.

Heard quite a lot about it.

Plan on reading it when it finishes, despise reading series which are half-finished.

First time I heard of it, I've got a list of books to get through so i don't see myself squeezing another series in.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked