Absolutely dumbfounded by thieves at my University.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Just got back to my dorm after hanging out with some friends, door is unlocked, at this point I'm really dreading going in, because obviously someone broke in, couldn't be my roommate as he isn't back on campus yet.

Walk in and notice nothing is missing, my door to my room is open and the light in the kitchen (the counter with the microwave) are on, go in my room and nothing is missing, alright, maybe the cleaning ladies busted in while I was away to scrub the floors, head to the kitchen to grab a drink and I realized something was taken... a single bag of potato chips.

Not the flatscreen TV, not the Xbox 360, not the PC, roommates Mac, not the video games, not anything of any value, a single fucking bag of potato chips.

So I ask the people of the Escapist, is this an isolated incident? Have you encountered friendly or stupid thieves? Why would a thief steal a singular bag of chips when better food was available?

EDIT: The consensus seems to be that the chips were eaten by someone who was high or that they were unhappy and left of their own accord. That's one mystery solved.

It might be that maybe something broke out of the room instead of in and now its looking for more delicious treats on its adventure to city hall. On a serious not I'm glad you didn't have anything of value stolen :D

Um, maybe you just ate the chips and forgot? It seems pretty ridiculous to jump to the conclusion that someone broke into your room to steal a bag of chips. It probably was the cleaning ladies and either you misplaced the chips or the cleaning ladies decided they deserved a snack.

manic_depressive13:
Um, maybe you just ate the chips and forgot? It seems pretty ridiculous to jump to the conclusion that someone broke into your room to steal a bag of chips. It probably was the cleaning ladies and either you misplaced the chips or the cleaning ladies decided they deserved a snack.

It was a big bag, I bought them yesterday, I locked my door, cleaning ladies aren't allowed to enter when we aren't there, also they aren't allowed in the actual bed room, my bedroom door was open. Not really jumping to anything. Either someone broke in or the cleaning ladies are stepping way out of bounds.

you assume someone broke in and stole the chips but what if the bag of chips broke out?

in all seriousness thieves do tend to hit the same place multiple times so make sure you up your security

lechat:
you assume someone broke in and stole the chips but what if the bag of chips broke out?

in all seriousness thieves do tend to hit the same place multiple times so make sure you up your security

If the chips were unhappy I would have sat down and tried to talk with them and talk to them, but I am going to the CA first thing in the morning.

The OP sounds like someone trying to teach a security lesson.

My sister shared a freezer in university halls, so a whole tub of ice cream got stolen from her once.

Coppernerves:

My sister shared a freezer in university halls, so a whole tub of ice cream got stolen from her once.

I have a private room, I share a bathroom and kitchen area with another guy but we have separate bedrooms and no one else has access to our kitchen area, I locked the door as I left, the only other keys belong to my roommate and the staff, but people have stolen master keys before, happened at my friends dorm building.

Coppernerves:

I bet the disappointment melted her heart :D

Well I did get drunk and end up at a University campus once.

I remember being hungry as hell so broke into a room but all I could find was a bag of crisps.

Is it impossible for you roommate to get the munchies half-way through the day and ate your bag of chips?
CHECK HIS GARBAGE IMMEDIATELY!

Keoul:
Is it impossible for you roommate to get the munchies half-way through the day and ate your bag of chips?
CHECK HIS GARBAGE IMMEDIATELY!

It is slightly impossible when he isn't on campus.

As funny as it is that they only stole a bag of crisps, I would strongly advise that you talk to campus security about this. Next time it could be something valuable!

LarenzoAOG:

Are you sure about this?
I mean like is he leaving for, say, a holiday so he's gone for a few weeks or is it just that he isn't here at the moment and could have possible come back?

Either way, leave another bag of chips, see if the culprit returns. If they do, leave another bag of chips but this time leave your computer on and have a webcamera record everything.

Maybe the chips were sick of being trapped in your room and left!

Honestly though, I do wonder if it was really thieves, most thieves don't break into houses (or dorm rooms) to take snacks from peoples larder.

Still, if you think someone did sneak into your dorm room, you might want to up the locks or something.

Keoul:

LarenzoAOG:

Are you sure about this?
I mean like is he leaving for, say, a holiday so he's gone for a few weeks or is it just that he isn't here at the moment and could have possible come back?

Either way, leave another bag of chips, see if the culprit returns. If they do, leave another bag of chips but this time leave your computer on and have a webcamera record everything.

I highly doubt he came back to snatch some chips then run off into the night, either way I'm talking to the CAs first thing in the morning.

Also I think he's afraid of me, he refuses to partake in any of my food or drinks, even when I offer to share, although he may just be polite, but the general consensus among my friends is that he fears me, he is very small.

Sounds like somebody got the munchies!

But seriously food being stolen at uni unfortuntley is common ground, admitly it's lame as fuck someone went into your room also if the door was unlocked... how do you know they broke in is it possible you left it unlocked? or do you think they pick locked it?

Annnnyway probably best you inform the relevant people, and while your at it you could up the anti, a friend of mine at uni kept having their milk stolen, so i gave them lactulose which your only ment to take in small amounts for severve constipation it's a perscribed laxative. So i poored 1/2 the bottle into a 4 pint of milk container and sure enough the culprit spent the day shitting himself with their ass glued to the toilet. My friends milk didn't get stolen again funnily enough!

Rastien:
Sounds like somebody got the munchies!

But seriously food being stolen at uni unfortuntley is common ground, admitly it's lame as fuck someone went into your room also if the door was unlocked... how do you know they broke in is it possible you left it unlocked? or do you think they pick locked it?

Annnnyway probably best you inform the relevant people, and while your at it you could up the anti, a friend of mine at uni kept having their milk stolen, so i gave them lactulose which your only ment to take in small amounts for severve constipation it's a perscribed laxative. So i poored 1/2 the bottle into a 4 pint of milk container and sure enough the culprit spent the day shitting himself with their ass glued to the toilet. My friends milk didn't get stolen again funnily enough!

Lol, genius. It's possible that I maybe left the door unlocked, although I remember locking it, plus in another dorm building someone stole the master key, could have happened here, most of the people are still on vacation so now makes sense to want to go on a thieving spree.

It was obviously this guy.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Nah nah, it had to be this guy.

OT: It does genuinely sound like some 'high as balls' dude broke in, thought "Damn, I'm hungry", grabbed your chips and left.

I'd get your locks changed just in case. It could also have been some weird misunderstood prank.

sky14kemea:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Nah nah, it had to be this guy.

OT: It does genuinely sound like some 'high as balls' dude broke in, thought "Damn, I'm hungry", grabbed your chips and left.

I'd get your locks changed just in case. It could also have been some weird misunderstood prank.

Maybe the OP got really fucking high and ate the chips, then forgot about the whole thing.

I'm onto you, hippie scum.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Maybe the OP got really fucking high and ate the chips, then forgot about the whole thing.

Or maybe....

Maybe the chips got amazingly fucking high and ate themselves. O_O

And the door just opened in shock!

sky14kemea:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Or maybe....

Maybe the chips got amazingly fucking high and ate themselves. O_O

And the door just opened in shock!

Well, that's one mystery solved.

last year we had someone scale a 12 foot tall chain link fence thats covering in grape vines and that alone dumbfounds me that someone could actually physically do it. but they did that to steal all the unripe nectarines off a tree.

if they had simply walked up to the front door and asked they could of had them. impressive ninja skills i must admit

Uh, at least you didn't loose anything valuable...

It's university, people nick food of each other all the time. Seems more likely you left the door unlocked or the cleaners did than someone broke in? Any visible lock damage?

LarenzoAOG:
Just got back to my dorm after hanging out with some friends, door is unlocked, at this point I'm really dreading going in, because obviously someone broke in, couldn't be my roommate as he isn't back on campus yet.

Walk in and notice nothing is missing, my door to my room is open and the light in the kitchen (the counter with the microwave) are on, go in my room and nothing is missing, alright, maybe the cleaning ladies busted in while I was away to scrub the floors, head to the kitchen to grab a drink and I realized something was taken... a single bag of potato chips.

Not the flatscreen TV, not the Xbox 360, not the PC, roommates Mac, not the video games, not anything of any value, a single fucking bag of potato chips.

So I ask the people of the Escapist, is this an isolated incident? Have you encountered friendly or stupid thieves? Why would a thief steal a singular bag of chips when better food was available?

You've never heard of the munchies have you?

LarenzoAOG:

manic_depressive13:

It was a big bag, I bought them yesterday, I locked my door, cleaning ladies aren't allowed to enter when we aren't there, also they aren't allowed in the actual bed room, my bedroom door was open. Not really jumping to anything. Either someone broke in or the cleaning ladies are stepping way out of bounds.

Wait, you have cleaning ladies for your dorm rooms? Seriously? When the hell did this start?

Res Plus:
It's university, people nick food of each other all the time. Seems more likely you left the door unlocked or the cleaners did than someone broke in? Any visible lock damage?

Nope, but there was an incident where master keys were stolen and a rash of thefts occurred, until they busted into the RA's room while he was still there.

The Heik:

LarenzoAOG:
snip?

You've never heard of the munchies have you?

I have, and in my dorm that's not very surprising, but there was better food available right next to the chips, so I still don't understand the thought process.

SecondPrize:

LarenzoAOG:

manic_depressive13:

Wait, you have cleaning ladies for your dorm rooms? Seriously? When the hell did this start?

I don't rightfully know, University's been around since 1898, and as far as anyone I know can remember we've had janitor ladies, some of whom may be willing to acquire chips via morally dubious acts.

In university I'd imagine it's much more likely a friend/acquaintance popped the lock and was waiting for you or something, and ate the chips while waiting. Our dorms were typically unlocked inside the building and theft was extremely rare.

RobfromtheGulag:
In university I'd imagine it's much more likely a friend/acquaintance popped the lock and was waiting for you or something, and ate the chips while waiting. Our dorms were typically unlocked inside the building and theft was extremely rare.

I was chilling with my friends at the time, all the ones on campus at least.

This is actually much smarter than you give them credit.
Steal a TV, the police'll be on their asses and find them, steal a bag of chips? You're not likely to even call it in.

Radoh:
Steal a TV, the police'll be on their asses and find them, steal a bag of chips? You're not likely to even call it in.

That's what you think, I'm bringing those motherfuckers to justice.

LarenzoAOG:

Radoh:

That's what you think, I'm bringing those motherfuckers to justice.

If the Police don't laugh in your face, sure.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked