Extreme weather in your area

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This morning when i got in my car, the temperature was -32c (that's -26.6f for you americans) and tomorrow, they predict that we will get a -1c (30.2f) and back to -20c (-4f) by monday. so a good 30c difference in 48 hours.

that made me think that we usually get -30ish in the winter, to 30ish in summer (-26f to 90f roughly) which is a solid difference within 6 months.

in canada, well, in my part of canada anyway (i know place like vancouver doesnt get those temperatures) we are pretty used to that. I was wondering how it was in your places, do you get extreme temperature variation like this, or other type of extreme weather in your area ?

loads of snow. Gonna have to trek everywhere the old fashioned way.
South-West England BTW, apparently we got it easy.

I'm in SE England at the minute and we got about two inches of snow in two hours this morning, causing me to get the day off work. It's pretty chilly outside and inside, and the rest of the country seems to be worse off.

Anything below 0C in daytime would probably be extreme for the UK...I don't think I could bear -30. I've dealt with -20 before in Austria but that was horrible.

It's around -3c in the Netherlands right now. Some snow on the ground but it has been there for a week now. Traffic and PT are still completely wrecked though.

Personally I love the cold and snow. While most of the people around me are wearing thick coats and shawls, I get by with a t-shirt and a hoody.

The only extreme weather we get over here is heavy rains.

Yeah, it's really boring.

Well, it's apparently around -14c in Vermont right now, which honestly isn't that bad. Especially since it's bright and sunny and there's little wind. It can get a lot worse than it is right now, but generally I'd say our temperature has the same highs and lows as yours, OP. We'll occasionally cap out around 40-42 Celsius during the summers, but that almost never lasts more than two or three days, and this is actually probably close to the coldest temperature we've had this year. It's been a weird winter.

South east England. We got bugger all snow at the moment just a bit on the paths none on the roads didn't have too much trouble walking into work and back i quite enjoyed it. Gotta love the media with there scaremongering and how my town all panic like sheep. Its hilarious.

My town never does get hit heavy by the snow we just get hit by the heatwaves instead.

Friend in Nottingham has a lot more snow then me from what she tells me and they seem to be plodding on as if its nothing.

Today was one of the hottest days on record where I live, on the surface of the sun.
Seriously, it was about 45 degrees celsius.

Stockholm here. We've been slightly below zero celsius for a couple of weeks, then bam! This morning it dipped to -17. Not pleasant. But no, other than that nothing extreme, besides all of our trains and buses failing as soon as two snowflakes hit the ground.
Every. Damn. Year.

Tom_green_day:
loads of snow. Gonna have to trek everywhere the old fashioned way.
South-West England BTW, apparently we got it easy.

I'm in south-east Wales, the infamous "red zone" as it's being called right now. Over a foot of snow, pushing 15 inches, fell this morning over 3-4 hours - and that was on top of soaking ground from a torrent of rain all night. Most snow Iv'e ever seen, easily tripling if-not quadrupling the couple of inches we end up having every year or so, which we used to call "heavy snow".

Worst weather I've ever been in was Hurricane Charlie on holiday in Florida back in... '04 I think? We planned on going for 2 weeks to Disney World and Universal. Ended up staying a few days longer thanks to a surprise party, hosted by a cat 4 hurricane that took the side off the hotel.

I live in Michigan, where the weather changes in a blink of an eye. The most extreme cases I recallwas when it was about 6060to degrees F one day, then about 20 degrees the next.. the other time, was when it was the middle of spring and we got heavy snowfall overnight. It was in about the mid 60s - low 70s F in the morning. Go figure.

Mediterranean shoreline in Israel. There are no transitional seasons, there's only 2 big seasons:

Summer and

Live in Wisconsin. Used to be just blizzards, sometimes accompanied by floods, but it's getting hotter. A decade ago it would be unsurprising for a blizzard to get in the way of Halloween. Feels like the tornado zone has spread out recently.

over here its about -3 daytime to -10 night time living in assen (north east holland) havent seen any real snow yet tho...but the ice is good enough for skating now

Central Florida here. I'd say hurricanes, but I've never had an actual hurricane hit my general area. Come close a few times, though. Some wind damage to a few places, but not too bad.

Flooding can be a problem, though. Again, my specific area doesn't have problems with flooding, but less than a half-hour from my house, it flooded recently.

Despite living in Florida, it generally doesn't get too hot. I mean, it CAN, but those days are extremely rare. And at least it's a wet heat, since I live so close to the Gulf of Mexico. I can't image how bad it must be for it to be really hot in a desert area.

Esotera:
I'm in SE England at the minute and we got about two inches of snow in two hours this morning, causing me to get the day off work . It's pretty chilly outside and inside, and the rest of the country seems to be worse off.

Anything below 0C in daytime would probably be extreme for the UK...I don't think I could bear -30. I've dealt with -20 before in Austria but that was horrible.

DAFUQ?

dang, we need to get a foot or so before we can think about getting the day off. a few inches is a normal day.

as for extreme weather:

Potsdam, NY. During the winter we get 2-3 weeks of -50F (-45C) or below with windchill. It is so cold you will get frostbite within ten minutes, and you can snap off chunks of lightly damp hair and use it as a knife.

pulaski, NY. A raging blizzard centered around the town, go 30 minutes in any direction and you will find clear blue skies and roads.

State of Alabama. Tornadoes. Scary as hell as they come out of nowhere. By the time you see it, it may very well be too late.

Well it did snow today (but it's not sticking) and it hit 1 degree which is the lowest temperature to hit over here so far lately (compared to Christmas).
Granted this isn't as bad to the snow we had a couple of years ago when it made a proper blanket of snow and it was super cold!
Either way it made being a work more dreadful to endure (the heating suck)!

Ragetrain:
South east England. We got bugger all snow at the moment just a bit on the paths none on the roads didn't have too much trouble walking into work and back i quite enjoyed it. Gotta love the media with there scaremongering and how my town all panic like sheep. Its hilarious.

My town never does get hit heavy by the snow we just get hit by the heatwaves instead.

Friend in Nottingham has a lot more snow then me from what she tells me and they seem to be plodding on as if its nothing.

Its the same here in Lincolnshire, there is a little covering of snow on the foot paths ect but the roads are fine, its just the people acting and driving like morons that is making it much worse than it needs to be. That and the media blowing it out of proportion.

Ryotknife:

Esotera:
I'm in SE England at the minute and we got about two inches of snow in two hours this morning, causing me to get the day off work . It's pretty chilly outside and inside, and the rest of the country seems to be worse off.

DAFUQ?

dang, we need to get a foot or so before we can think about getting the day off. a few inches is a normal day.

as for extreme weather:

Potsdam, NY. During the winter we get 2-3 weeks of -50F (-45C) or below with windchill. It is so cold you will get frostbite within ten minutes, and you can snap off chunks of lightly damp hair and use it as a knife.

pulaski, NY. A raging blizzard centered around the town, go 30 minutes in any direction and you will find clear blue skies and roads.

State of Alabama. Tornadoes. Scary as hell as they come out of nowhere. By the time you see it, it may very well be too late.

I think the problem is that the colder it gets the easier it is to just shovel the snow away on the roads because of the way it forms. As we're nearer to 0C the snow will likely melt tomorrow and form ice, which is the real danger. But yeah, I think the office was a bit premature in shutting down so quickly, especially as lots of people live nearby.

I live in Adelaide, South Australia, during summer as it is currently we can get temperatures of up to 45C if not more as you get closer to the centre of the country. A heatwave just ended thank god! During winter we may get a few days below 10C but it's usually around 10-18C which I like. I don't think it has ever snowed, the closest we get is frost and that is in the surrounding hills.

Colorado seems to want to become a desert. We used to get plenty of rain/snow all year, but the past few years have been very dry. My area had about 4 rain storms and 3 snow storms in 2012. When I was a kid they would happen like twice a week on average.

Over here in australia parts of south-east of the country have descended into the fires of hell the northern part is being battered by cyclones and storms...

Just your typical australian summer

doggie015:
Over here in australia parts of south-east of the country have descended into the fires of hell the northern part is being battered by cyclones and storms...

In regards to that same thing, got into my car yesterday, and this is what awaited me.

Fahrenheit = 123.8

Lotsa snow in my area, and -16C. Only two weeks ago we've had rain and 5C. If I had to summarize Polish weather with one word, it would be "eugh".

I don't care how cold it is, it's finally snowing in Liverpool WOOO!!!

Ryotknife:

Esotera:

DAFUQ?

as for extreme weather:

You obviously don't know British weather.

We only have snow once, or twice a year, most of the time it's either cloudy, or rain. We are never prepared for snow at all, and in most parts of the country they don't bother gritting the paths or roads because it's such a rare occurrence that it wouldn't be worth the money, so when we see snowflakes we shit our pants pretty much, as everything goes to shit really for at least two, or three days.

Airports shut, schools shut, you name it...even if it's just a few inches. As a nation, Snow is our greatest weakness.

I don't have such a large variation in temperature but I do get some very rainy and changeable weather where I am. How rainy it is not as bad as other parts of my country or other countries though. The worst is dry cloudless winter days. You know the weather is bad when in your school the people who are native to cold country complain it is too cold and wear their coats inside.

So I was walking home from the bus stop today, and was constantly getting my foot stuck in the snow as I tried to pull my hood over my head to protect from the rain and hot sun. It was 4C today, but it'll hit -25C or lower on Sunday as the days get sunnier, then go back to about -5C as the clouds come in.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_metric_e.html

Alberta is weeeeeeeeiiiiiiiird in January.

When I was deploying to Iraq from Fort Drum in the dead of winter 2003, the lowest it got was -88 degrees farenheit. The neighboring area of Tug Hill reached negative triple digits with the wind chill.

Fast forward one month and one plane trip to Camp Wolverine, Kuwait and it was 2am and a balmy 77 degrees.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
When I was deploying to Iraq from Fort Drum in the dead of winter 2003, the lowest it got was -88 degrees farenheit. The neighboring area of Tug Hill reached negative triple digits with the wind chill.

Fast forward one month and one plane trip to Camp Wolverine, Kuwait and it was 2am and a balmy 77 degrees.

http://www.mherrera.org/tempusa.htm

No temperatures in New York have ever been recorded below ~-55 degrees Fahrenheit. Hell, at -88 Fahrenheit, your hands would freeze solid is less than a minute.

And Tug Hill reaching less than -100 with wind chill? That's cold enough to keep DRY ICE solid.

Put simply, shenanigans. All of the shenanigans.

It's around -5c in the west mids right now, can't say as i care as i don't feel the cold. One thing i must say is my car is slowly turning into an ice cube

Arakasi:
Today was one of the hottest days on record where I live, on the surface of the sun.
Seriously, it was about 45 degrees celsius.

I'm guessing you also live around NSW, or at least in South East Australia? Because yeah, yesterday was absolute balls. Hottest recorded temperature here since freakin' 1937 I think the news said?

It sucks because I bought Dust: An Elysian Tale that morning but couldn't play it much without my 360 probably overheating because it was that hot and we only have fans in our house. So yeah, yesterday was awful. Just awful.

Jazoni89:

Ryotknife:

Esotera:

DAFUQ?

as for extreme weather:

You obviously don't know British weather.

We only have snow once, or twice a year, most of the time it's either cloudy, or rain. We are never prepared for snow at all, and in most parts of the country they don't bother gritting the paths or roads because it's such a rare occurrence that it wouldn't be worth the money, so when we see snowflakes we shit our pants pretty much, as everything goes to shit really for at least two, or three days.

Airports shut, schools shut, you name it...even if it's just a few inches. As a nation, Snow is our greatest weakness.

grumble grumble lucky bastards grumble grumble

you guys have warm water currents around your country correct?

Mikoi:

doggie015:

In regards to that same thing, got into my car yesterday, and this is what awaited me.

Fahrenheit = 123.8

i assume you are not in australia then cause at 45c that seems pretty low for a car

my car was reading 77c the other day and the dash was literally melting, no aircon in the sucker either but since i didn't really need to go where i was going i was like

North East England here.
We get snow more often than the south so can cope better as it's worth us having grit stores and whatnot. If we have snow for about a week solid/lots at once it goes to shit here. For example, last Easter out of nowhere we had between 8 inches and 1 foot that fell overnight, and everything ground to a halt for a little bit. And if snow falls for about a week, the grit stores run out again and nothing happens.
At the moment we have about half a foot where I live, but the roads have been kept mostly clear.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked