so the Nostalgia Critic seems to be back...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

This proves now that Doug will forever be the monkey of his fans, who now have his balls in a vice. It's high time, and now I say we as the fans make the rules now and Doug has to do what we say. Or else we'll just stop watchingt his show and Channel Awesome can go down the toilet. How's that?

Welgo Rodimus:
This proves now that Doug will forever be the monkey of his fans, who now have his balls in a vice. It's high time, and now I say we as the fans make the rules now and Doug has to do what we say. Or else we'll just stop watchingt his show and Channel Awesome can go down the toilet. How's that?

You clearly didn't watch the video, did you?
He established that it was not the fans, but the reignition of his old passion, that brought him back. As for Channel Awesome, it took a temporary dip in ratings, but stayed mostly stable during the five months of his absence. Doug is nobody's monkey, he just wanted to get back in the game. There is absolutely nothing wrong about that.

TL;DR: Your whining is bad, and you should feel bad!

Soviet Heavy:

I don't watch NChick for humor, I watch it for her film analysis. So when you get someone like Nella trying to infuse a show with "quirky" humor, I find it detracts from what I'm paying attention to. It's like watching a historical film and then suddenly some bizarre Clown prances around on the screen, makes a fart joke then bounces out.

If a historical film had as loose a grasp on its history as NChick has on the medium, I'd welcome a clown, a piefight, and a rousing rendition of "Springtime for Hitler."

NChick is already a farce. She's just a farce that tries to be funny and entertaining while failing hard. Then people seem to defend her hackneyed approach like it's not the Twilight of film criticism.

Vault101:

I find nostalga chick (lindsey herself as well) to be fucking HILARIOUS most of the time...hell funnyer than Doug ever was

different strokes and all but yeah

I too find dry lines delivered straight to be hilarious.

JSoup:
I'm glade to see he's returning. I've been reading on the forums for the last day that apparently they aren't done with Demo Reel and are still working on that talk show type thing that was announced a few months ago.

I'm torn on that part. I always hate the way Walker's fans crap on anything new he tries, but Demo Reel was pretty awful. I would like to see him try more new things, but I'd also not shed a tear if Demo Reel went away forever.

The flipside to that is I sort of feel like one of THOSE fans at this point, though I don't have a history of tearing down Doug's every attempt to do something new.

Pretty much my thinking as well. A lot of the skits that has Nella going on about her nerd things are great simply because most of them aren't (apparently) scripted. Once I found that out and then saw her pull out Troll dolls and old My Little Pony toys, then run through all of the names she gave them while describing the amazingly complex drama she had concocted, I found myself thinking "Why doesn't she have her own show instead of this obnoxious Lindsay person?"

Remembering that made me squee. Damn you!

I too, can't wait for a 30-something guy to screech like an eight-year-old girl over inconsequential shit.

Vault101:

the site is absolutly begging for a redesign....it doesnt encourage you to look at what else is there also because majority is very amaturish and...well crap

This so much. The sites so badly designed I didn't even realise that Demo Reel had started :( (Was it in the specials section?) You can't see anyone and it's really ugly and just unable to handle the number of reviewers. It's even worse when you get into the menus, I don't think I'd be able to find anyone if I didn't already know where they are.

I mean Spoony said he wasn't sure how the traffick sharing was working out and I can believe him. There are some producers on the site I've never even really seen, their stuff is so buried

Don't really care, personally.
I never liked the Nostalgia Critic.

Matthew Jabour:

Welgo Rodimus:

You clearly didn't watch the video, did you?
He established that it was not the fans, but the reignition of his old passion, that brought him back. As for Channel Awesome, it took a temporary dip in ratings, but stayed mostly stable during the five months of his absence. Doug is nobody's monkey, he just wanted to get back in the game. There is absolutely nothing wrong about that.

TL;DR: Your whining is bad, and you should feel bad!

Only what is shown in the video is not real life, you know. Because making a cool video which rationalizes NC's comeback in a creative fashion is preferred to just making a statement "the site is dying, Demo Reel is getting horrible ratings, so I guess it's a situation of either bring back the most popular feature of the site or die out completely".

Personally, I like Doug's work. He's the most tolerable of the "angry reviewers" and he's got talent. So in a way I'm sad the entire cancellation of NC and Demo Reel project went south, but then again in retrospect it's no wonder it went south. People like rants. People like criticism. And people do not necessarily like weird parody/spoof/sitcom/meta/art/student theatre whatevers. At its best Demo Reel was merely something that would before that be simply an NC special (Lost in Translation ep for example). At its worst it was a horrible overlong mess with somewhat likeable but often irritating stereotype characters which noone cared about.

So yeah, I'm happy NC returns because even when it was mediocre it was a great coffee-break show. I don't know how good the new episodes will be and how honest Doug's enthusiasm truly is, but I kinda don't care. Apart from Todd, I've found less and less reasons to visit that site which slowly but surely sank into mediocrity and quantity over quality (I was with TGWTG back in it's humble beginnings; now I don't even know who the f are 90% of the people featured on there, and honestly I couldn't care less). With NC there at least there's justification to keep the site in my favorites bar for a little while longer. So good luck Doug, I'm sad stuff turned out the way it did, but damn me if "Review must go on" didn't make my day.

I always had a like/hate relationship when it came to Nostalgia Critic. There were reviews that made me laugh my ass off, and then there were reviews that I just didn't enjoy, this was true for all his reviews in the past, and I accepted this as simply me just not being into the movie and being unable to understand the jokes. But then when his later reviews came around they all started to become boring and unfunny. Instead of making a joke about a segment and being clever about it, he would take the family guy approach and try and blow every joke up into a long segment. This just made me get annoyed because instead of laughing at a quick observtion, I was silently staring at my screen at a balding man in a suit make noises.

So, while I am not opposed to Doug brining back NC after a decent break (He totally did need a break to just tighten up his form and what not. We all need breaks after all), I am pissed off in the way that everything was handled. Before I explain why I hated the way it was handled, I need to explain my initial issue with NC. The TGWTG Anniversery films have never been about the culmination of internet people in one website enjoying another year of reviews, it's been a film about the Nostalgia Critic with other reviewers in it. Whilst it was okay for the Big Brawl, it really started to show the main focus of the film in the 3 sequels. Now I get that NC is kinda the leader of the site and what not, but I just felt that the anniversery should be less about one reviewer and maybe more about everyone who came and made the site good. For example, Kickassia was all about Nostalgia Critic owning a country, and that...cosplay dress up one was all about how Nostalgia Critic's selfishness getting everyone in the shit.

Now, here's where the whole "the way everything was handled" NC situation comes into the focus. To Boldly Flee started off with the premise that there was a gigantic battle againts Turrel, and that Spoony was somehow connected to Ma-Ti and the plot hole. But nope, the main focus was on Doug, yet again. He played the higher ranked alien that commanded Turrel, AND he spent most of his Nostalgia Critic scenes moping about and having other people tell him how much of a great reviewer he is. And by the end of the film, we have Doug and NC have a 10 minute scene alone to talk about how great a character NC is and that he has become more than a character etc. I was so pissed off. The entire film went from being a change of the norm (By making the whole plot hole/Spoony/Ma-Ti/Turrel situation the main focus) to a "Let's all have a deep, soul searching experience with the Nostalgia Critic". Yet again, instead of maybe exploring other reviewer angles and what not, it was just another "HEY LOOK, NOSTAGIA CRITIC IS DOING SOMETHING WITH EXTENDED CAMEOS FROM OTHER SITE MEMBERS". Anyway...when he announced that that was his end all I could think was "Thank fuck, maybe we can focus on the group as a whole next anniversery, and he can create a new fresh character/series". But then, months later, he comes out and makes a 20 minute film of him asking people if he should bring the Nostalgia Critic back, and having most people just agree that he could totally do so. I threw my hands in the air due to just a feel of bullshit flowing into my ears.

Again, I'm not angry at him coming back, I'm just angry that he wasted the 4th anniversery on making it his going away party, and then months later come out and say, "Fuck it, I changed my mind, he's coming back and reviewing anything now! k bi".

Huh, I was actually starting to really like Demo Reel.

Though I can't say I'm not glad that the Nostalgia Critic is back. Especially after Doug made it clear he wasn't doing it just because the fans wanted him to, but that he also wanted the Critic back.

bug_of_war:
Again, I'm not angry at him coming back, I'm just angry that he wasted the 4th anniversery on making it his going away party, and then months later come out and say, "Fuck it, I changed my mind, he's coming back and reviewing anything now! k bi".

Interestingly enough, I always disliked anniversary movies for exactly the opposite reasons. I feel Doug wanted to cram as many reviewers he could and than give them enough screen time to do something interesting and funny while still keeping a semi-coherent narrative.. which in turn made these movies feel messy and disjointed and more than a little embarrassing with the overall enjoyment heavily depending on the average likeability of all cast members. In my opinion anniversary specials would be much better if he cut down the cast down to a quarter and used only people who actually can act (e.g. Doug, Brad, Spoony to an extent, Last Angry Geek definitely - I kinda dislike the guy but he does have some acting chops) instead of just grabbing a dozen currently popular reviewers who are often quite atrocious with their acting (Film Brain, Phelous, Jesu Otaku, Marz Girl.. to be honest most of the cast). It seems to be that in every anniversary movie for a joke that worked and was actually funny there was at least five cringeworthy moments only bearable (but not really) if you kinda liked the reviewer featured (if you actually knew or cared who that was). Take JO's Cowboy Beebop spoof in the latest anniversary movie for example.. not only was it terribly unfunny, it was kind of stuff I would actually be ashamed to be caught watching by someone else.

So yeah.. I watched all the anniversary specials, never thought too highly of them, and if I had to name the reasons why I wasn't too fond of them "too much Doug" would definitely not be anywhere near the top of the list.

baba44713:

Interestingly enough, I always disliked anniversary movies for exactly the opposite reasons. I feel Doug wanted to cram as many reviewers he could and than give them enough screen time to do something interesting and funny while still keeping a semi-coherent narrative.. which in turn made these movies feel messy and disjointed and more than a little embarrassing with the overall enjoyment heavily depending on the average likeability of all cast members. In my opinion anniversary specials would be much better if he cut down the cast down to a quarter and used only people who actually can act (e.g. Doug, Brad, Spoony to an extent, Last Angry Geek definitely - I kinda dislike the guy but he does have some acting chops) instead of just grabbing a dozen currently popular reviewers who are often quite atrocious with their acting (Film Brain, Phelous, Jesu Otaku, Marz Girl.. to be honest most of the cast). It seems to be that in every anniversary movie for a joke that worked and was actually funny there was at least five cringeworthy moments only bearable (but not really) if you kinda liked the reviewer featured (if you actually knew or cared who that was). Take JO's Cowboy Beebop spoof in the latest anniversary movie for example.. not only was it terribly unfunny, it was kind of stuff I would actually be ashamed to be caught watching by someone else.

So yeah.. I watched all the anniversary specials, never thought too highly of them, and if I had to name the reasons why I wasn't too fond of them "too much Doug" would definitely not be anywhere near the top of the list.

Hey, that's fair enough. I can see your point about the cramming of many characters and trying to have them have some funny/interesting part in the film, but that was kinda my point about NC being the main character. NC would always be the leading character with the main story revolving around him, whil the other actors were just there as background noise a majority of the time. I can see how this is kinda a double edged sword, seeing as how both arguments seem to be valid in a sense, so I guess it's just one of those moments where we gotta agree to disagree.

See, I was part of the crowd that was starting to really get into Demo Reel. First couple of episodes were a little shaky, but that's expected with them having gone from once a week reviews to bi-weekly full productions of movie parodies. But as it went on, the characters were becoming fun and more detailed, the plots were becoming a little more refined and coherent, and by this last episode it was really going great.

Though I'm certainly glad Nostalgia Critic is back, I'm kinda upset they had to sacrifice Demo Reel in order to continue it, especially to continue it every couple of weeks instead of every week now. I know nothing of his production schedule, but I'm kinda confused why he couldn't do a biweekly Nostalgia Critic and maybe a monthly Demo Reel or something. At any rate I'm glad he's mixing it up with his regular schedule. Maybe this will mean more Video Game Confessions or something!

I used to be an avid watcher of the NC reviews, but roughly a year ago my interest dwindled and only clicked on a new entry if it was a film/series I felt passionately about, whether it be for or against.

It'll be nice to see him return, though sad that it looks like it's partially due to a lack in revenue generated from Demo Reel (like a few here I also didn't like it all that much). I hope that the NC character at least does something fresh, whether that be a slight change in personality or new jokes to replace those constantly recycled ones.

i'm glad he's back, i like the nostalgia critic i been following him on and off since his publicity stunt with the angry video game nerd years back. i admit his humor did become a little stale prior to his "retirement" of the character, but the time off will be good for hs writing.

the comeback video was very well-done too, i'd say probably some of his best work so far

Welgo Rodimus:

..... like every other show on the internet up to date?

TallestGargoyle:
See, I was part of the crowd that was starting to really get into Demo Reel. First couple of episodes were a little shaky, but that's expected with them having gone from once a week reviews to bi-weekly full productions of movie parodies. But as it went on, the characters were becoming fun and more detailed, the plots were becoming a little more refined and coherent, and by this last episode it was really going great.

Me again with the contrary opinion.. :)

I see the latest Demo Reel episodes as the final proof that Doug didn't really know what to do with the show and which direction he wanted it to go in. It is obvious that the initial idea was basically "Bum Review w/ Cast and Bigger Budget". Which flopped. Then he decided he wants to shift the focus from the spoofs and turn it into a sitcom of sorts, with an A story and a B story and spoof still being in there but in more of a melted form instead of it being direct and explicit. It just made stuff more confusing (although I will agree Lost In Translation ep was a good one - but then again it could have simply been an NC special with almost no script changes). Then Doug decided the show will be a spoof/dramedy and for me this was the breaking point. It was simply a mess. Revelation that Donnie's mother committed suicide while he was a kid? In the very same episode which has the black dude sporting a too-too and some comic-book villain with paper-thin motivations shooting an USB stick? What?

I was pretty open-minded about this Demo Reel project but there comes a point where no matter how much you like creators of something one must admit that the thing they made might just be total shit. And a few good jokes in a 30-45 minute episode of absolute mess just wasn't worth it, regardless of it being free.

As far as the newest NC episode goes.. I see Doug insists on cramming the Demo Reel cast in, for better or worse. I say results are mixed, but we'll see how it goes from here...

baba44713:

TallestGargoyle:

Me again with the contrary opinion.. :)

I see the latest Demo Reel episodes as the final proof that Doug didn't really know what to do with the show and which direction he wanted it to go in. It is obvious that the initial idea was basically "Bum Review w/ Cast and Bigger Budget". Which flopped. Then he decided he wants to shift the focus from the spoofs and turn it into a sitcom of sorts, with an A story and a B story and spoof still being in there but in more of a melted form instead of it being direct and explicit. It just made stuff more confusing (although I will agree Lost In Translation ep was a good one - but then again it could have simply been an NC special with almost no script changes). Then Doug decided the show will be a spoof/dramedy and for me this was the breaking point. It was simply a mess. Revelation that Donnie's mother committed suicide while he was a kid? In the very same episode which has the black dude sporting a too-too and some comic-book villain with paper-thin motivations shooting an USB stick? What?

I was pretty open-minded about this Demo Reel project but there comes a point where no matter how much you like creators of something one must admit that the thing they made might just be total shit. And a few good jokes in a 30-45 minute episode of absolute mess just wasn't worth it, regardless of it being free.

As far as the newest NC episode goes.. I see Doug insists on cramming the Demo Reel cast in, for better or worse. I say results are mixed, but we'll see how it goes from here...

I can certainly see why people weren't enjoying it. But in a way I kinda just liked the irony that they were taking the piss out of clichés and bad movie choices while they themselves were producing kinda bad videos and... Bleh, I enjoyed Demo Reel while it lasted, glad to see Nostalgia Critic is back though!

Jay-Z was retired for longer.

Not my favourite internet personality, but he's entertaining, to be sure. I don't see why he had to completely stop the series, if he wanted to do less of it, nothing is stopping him, really. He's got full control over what he creates and posts.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked