Recommend me a fantasy book

Pages PREV 1 2

thejackyl:
Since I made a thread about suggesting good books back around Christmas, I'll share my findings.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher:

They aren't like Tolkien or the few fantasy books(Like them) I've read. They're about a Wizard PI working in modern day Chicago. There are vampires, werewolves, rogue magicians, fairy godmothers, demons, ghosts, A fairy who's obsessed with sex who lives in a skull. I could go on, but I'm only on the third book. And there are 12 books so far... I think.

I haven't read many books since High School, so the only really fantasy books I have read are the Harry Potter series, up to book 6, I can't get past chapter 8 on the last book for some reason. and the first 3 books in the Dresden Files.

Definitely recommend the Dresden Files. I'm on the fourth book, and it's different from your average fantasy because it has the habit of taking a kind of ridiculous concept, and making it serious while still just being fun to read.

That actually happens in the ninth book.

Soviet Heavy:
Discworld: Night Watch. I don't care what other people say, that book works just as well as a standalone as it does in a series.

Oh man I fucking love Night Watch.
Then again I love Sam Vimes.

All the little angels rise up, rise up.
All the little angels rise up high!
How do they rise up, rise up, rise up?
How do they rise up, rise up high?
They rise heads up, heads up, heads up, they rise heads up, heads up high

I'm currently reading Thud! After reading Snuff, Night Watch and Thief of Time.

Daystar Clarion:
If you want something a bit different, I would recommend The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

Great series of books, really intelligent with some great characters.

It should also be noted that the first book is pretty slow starting and can grow a little bit tedious in some parts, but other than that, I agree and recommend it too.

And if you haven't read it yet, Mistborn trilogy is pretty great.

Daystar Clarion:
If you want something a bit different, I would recommend The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

Great series of books, really intelligent with some great characters.

You say true, I say Thank ya.

Rawne1980:
One of my favourite Fantasy writers is David Gemmell.
He's produced some fantastic books.
I'd recommend the Druss, Waylander and Skilgannon series.

Yes!

Soviet Heavy:
Oh yeah, The Belgariad as well. What happens when you take a self aware cast and throw them into a Lord of the Rings ripoff.

Also yes!

Because The King Killer Chronicles was already mentioned I'm gonna go with His Dark Materials.

I would recommend the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy.

Its a detective story set in modern day Ireland, with the addition of magic. The main character is a walking talking skeleton, and his apprentice Stephanie. Think the Ministry of Magic from the Harry Potter books.

It often has some funny moments, although its not hard with Skulduggery's sarcastic attitude. And the story is good too.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked